PDA

View Full Version : NFL, NFLPA eye steps surrounding Ben Roethlisberger concussion

tube517
12-01-2015, 08:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14264963/nfl-nflpa-investigating-circumstances-surrounding-ben-roethlisberger-concussion

The NFL and the NFLPA are investigating the circumstances surrounding the concussion sustained by Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger during Sunday's game, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

While there's been agreement that Roethlisberger self-reporting his symptoms and taking himself out of the game are positive steps for concussion awareness, the independent spotter system put in place this season is supposed to keep players from having to do that.

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
:rolleyes:

Uh, yeah. Two words: Case Keenum. Piss off. :coffee:

tube517
12-01-2015, 08:58 AM
Independent Spotter? LOL

Independent of what?

What a joke of a "system"...

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Remember a few years ago when Hines Ward called out Ben for not being "tough" enough?

Independent Spotter? LOL

Independent of what?

What a joke of a "system"...

Exactly. It's just window dressing in an attempt to keep the media off the league's back. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Steelers get fined for it since they're the only team whose players didn't sign off on the current CBA in lockstep with everyone else.

katmandu
12-01-2015, 09:27 AM
As they did last week with the St. Louis Rams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams) quarterback Case Keenum (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15168/case-keenum), the league and the union are investigating why the spotter and the officials didn't stop play and/or use a medical timeout following the hit that caused Roethlisberger's concussion.

"It's great that he self-reported," a union official told ESPN, "but that's not the process we all signed up for."What Standard criteria is this "independent spotter" using when judging whether or not a player needs to be pulled from a game and enter the Concussion protocol ?

Also, there is no way in the world to tell how another human being is feeling inside their OWN head. I think it's fantastic that Ben had the fortitude and smarts to pull himself out of the game.

I can see a day in the future where technology plays apart in this process.

..... Well, right after I typed the stuff above, I went and Googled G-Force sensors and look what I found.

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/shockbox-football-helmet-impact-alert-sensor.html?CID=GoogleShopping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Gqn9ffk5I

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/shockbox-football-helmet-impact-alert-sensor.html?CID=GoogleShopping#

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sportsunlimited/Shockbox-Alert-graph.jpg

zulater
12-01-2015, 09:34 AM
There's was nothing wrong with the way Ben's situation was handled. He got up immediately, you can't take every player out of every game every time they get hit. Interior linemen get contacted in the head every single series. You can't take the danger out of being a soldier, a firefighter, a cop, being a football player comes with inherent risk just the same. If you sanitize the game any more than you have then why bother playing it?

A couple other things related to this topic. For a league that's so controlling, I can't believe the NFL is allowing their network broadcasting partners to advertise the Concussion movie that's coming out. If I'm the league I tell these networks not to show those during our games. If you continue to do so maybe we need to talk to TBS or keep more of our broadcast games on the NFL network when this broadcast contract comes up.

I saw the other day where Frank Gifford's family is jumping on the CTE bandwagon. They say his brain showed signs of it. Well shit, the guy was 84. He was banging hot chicks (not talking Kathy Lee either) well into his 70's. He was completely lucid the year the SB was played in New York. ( I saw him interviewed that week) Look I'm not saying this isn't a thing. But damn all kinds of people get dementia. Housewives who never played a sport can fall victim to it. Part of life is dying. Dying often comes with horrific side effects.

Here I'll give you another example. Tony Dorsett, claims he's suffering the early effects of CTE. I'm not doubting him. But I would like to ask him this. Go back to your old neighborhood in Aliquippa. Find your old high school year book. Now compare your life to the rest of your graduating class. Think they're all alive?Think those that are still alive are in perfect health, fully insured, and living in comfort? Think not a one of them has been afflicted with dementia or is showing some early signs of it?

Go find Franco, John Stallworth, Jack Ham, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert. Ask them if they wouldn't do it all over again? Even the grunts like Gordon Gravelle, Frank Pollard, Bubby Brister, ask them if their life hasn't been enriched by their NFL experience?

Like I brought up before a great many jobs come with inherent risk. My son is training to work on high voltage electrical wires, ( yeah those one about 150 feet up there) the first thing they tell you is you can die doing this. People do every year. (they also start off at $70 an hour) but it's a risk reward thing. And if you're wired like he is (pun intended, but true, the kid's had a passion for all things electric sine he was a toddler) you do it, because it's a good living, but also because it's something your passionate about. Same or more-so with a good cop, soldier, firefighter. Undersea welder etc...

This world has become so effing pussified. And not in the good way! :lol:

Rant over.

Steelman
12-01-2015, 09:42 AM
There's was nothing wrong with the way Ben's situation was handled. He got up immediately, you can't take every player out of every game every time they get hit. Interior linemen get contacted in the head every single series. You can't take the danger out of being a soldier, a firefighter, a cop, being a football player comes with inherent risk just the same. If you sanitize the game any more than you have then why bother playing it?

A couple other things related to this topic. For a league that's so controlling, I can't believe the NFL is allowing their network broadcasting partners to advertise the Concussion movie that's coming out. If I'm the league I tell these networks not to show those during our games. If you continue to do so maybe we need to talk to TBS or keep more of our broadcast games on the NFL network when this broadcast contract comes up.

I saw the other day where Frank Gifford's family is jumping on the CTE bandwagon. They say his brain showed signs of it. Well shit, the guy was 84. He was banging hot chicks (not talking Kathy Lee either) well into his 70's. He was completely lucid the year the SB was played in New York. ( I saw him interviewed that week) Look I'm not saying this isn't a thing. But damn all kinds of people get dementia. Housewives who never played a sport can fall victim to it. Part of life is dying. Dying often comes with horrific side effects.

Here I'll give you another example. Tony Dorsett, claims he's suffering the early effects of CTE. I'm not doubting him. But I would like to ask him this. Go back to your old neighborhood in Aliquippa. Find your old high school year book. Now compare your life to the rest of your graduating class. Think they're all alive?Think those that are still alive are in perfect health, fully insured, and living in comfort? Think not a one of them has been afflicted with dementia or is showing some early signs of it?

Go find Franco, John Stallworth, Jack Ham, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert. Ask them if they wouldn't do it all over again? Even the grunts like Gordon Gravelle, Frank Pollard, Bubby Brister, ask them if their life hasn't been enriched by their NFL experience?

Like I brought up before a great many jobs come with inherent risk. My son is training to work on high voltage electrical wires, ( yeah those one about 150 feet up there) the first thing they tell you is you can die doing this. People do every year. (they also start off at $70 an hour) but it's a risk reward thing. And if you're wired like he is (pun intended, but true, the kid's had a passion for all things electric sine he was a toddler) you do it, because it's a good living, but also because it's something your passionate about. Same or more-so with a good cop, soldier, firefighter. Undersea welder etc...

Rant over.

:applaudit:

Steelman
12-01-2015, 10:28 AM
Roethlisberger says he was diagnosed with a traumatic ocular migraine. He says he has just finished concussion protocol at the Steelers facility.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/12/01/ben-roethlisberger-for-the-first-time-i-was-thinking-about-my-family/

TD's & Beer
12-01-2015, 11:02 AM
​Big Ben confirms he did not suffer concussion

In a radio interview, Ben Roethlisberger said he was not diagnosed with a concussion after taking a big hit Week 12 against the Seahawks.

Roethlisberger reported vision problems to the training staff on the sidelines, but he was diagnosed with a "traumatic ocular migraine" after further tests. Roethlisberger said he has not suffered any concussion-like symptoms since 30 minutes after the game. Ben expects to practice Wednesday and should be ready to play against the Colts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger

zulater
12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/12/01/ben-roethlisberger-for-the-first-time-i-was-thinking-about-my-family/

Great news! :applaudit:

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Ben didn't show any outer signs of a concussion so the NFL can piss off.

tube517
12-01-2015, 12:39 PM

SteelMember
12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
"Tomlin said that Roethlisberger was officially diagnosed as having a concussion and will remain in concussion protocol."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/12/01/Steelers-Ben-Roethlisberger-says-he-doesn-t-have-concussion-will-practice-Wednesday/stories/201512010160

tube517
12-01-2015, 12:57 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/12/roethlisberger_concussion_status.html

EDIT: Ninja'd by SteelMember! :lol:

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 01:00 PM

Drama queen. :chuckle:

SteelMember
12-01-2015, 01:07 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/12/roethlisberger_concussion_status.html

EDIT: Ninja'd by SteelMember! :lol:

Just got that alert on the phone... lol. Tomlin just made the statement so it doesn't "appear" that Ben is making his own decisions. I think he is fine and will probably practice Wednesday.

zulater
12-01-2015, 01:09 PM
Ben was too concussed to know he was concussed? :doh:

SteelMember
12-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Ben was too concussed to know he was concussed? :doh:

It is odd that Ben quoted the doctors "traumatic ocular migraine", but Tomlin, instead of saying he was simply "still under the protocol" said that "he was officially diagnosed with a concussion" to directly contradict his QB. I don't think that was necessary.

TD's & Beer
12-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Who you gonna believe, your loyal hard-working franchise QB or your snake eyes riverboat gambler?

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Who you gonna believe, your loyal hard-working franchise QB or your snake eyes riverboat gambler?

Ben the Drama Queen or Mike "Cool Shades Poker Playing" Tomlin? :noidea:

tube517
12-01-2015, 06:39 PM
It is odd that Ben quoted the doctors "traumatic ocular migraine", but Tomlin, instead of saying he was simply "still under the protocol" said that "he was officially diagnosed with a concussion" to directly contradict his QB. I don't think that was necessary.

Ben didn't get the full results at the time of his interview. Tomlin received news right before he did his presser. Bad timing. That's what happens if you play the wrong cards. :chuckle:

tube517
12-02-2015, 09:10 AM

teegre
12-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Ben didn't get the full results at the time of his interview. Tomlin received news right before he did his presser. Bad timing. That's what happens if you play the wrong cards. :chuckle:

That was a snippet from the new movie on the SyFy channel:
"Cool shades poker player vs. Dramapussy"

tube517
12-02-2015, 10:11 AM

86WARD
12-02-2015, 10:20 AM
Maybe investigate the Case Keenum spotter as well?

TeeTee
12-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Rant over.

All that being said, there is a problem, with the league historically not wanting to address the concussion issue and trying to sweep it under the rug. Shit, they didn't have barely any kind of post-playing healthcare system in place until recently. The owners had no problem treating players like simple garbage after they squeezed the value out of them. The owners had to be harassed into providing legit healthcare; simply didn't want to spend the $ on players after they used them up; that is disgraceful. Now it turns out even Frank Gifford suffered from PCS. And are we so uncaring that we forget the mental state Mike Webster before he died? I applaud Ben for having the courage to bring this subject further into the light. He is doing the right thing by shedding more light on PCS. Kudos, Ben. It takes a message from a "star" to further bring this out of the shadows. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if less and less plays get called in his favor. Refs may be instructed to look the other way on late hits on him and PI on his receivers.

katmandu
12-03-2015, 01:22 PM
All that being said, there is a problem, with the league historically not wanting to address the concussion issue and trying to sweep it under the rug. Shit, they didn't have barely any kind of post-playing healthcare system in place until recently. The owners had no problem treating players like simple garbage after they squeezed the value out of them. The owners had to be harassed into providing legit healthcare; simply didn't want to spend the $ on players after they used them up; that is disgraceful. Now it turns out even Frank Gifford suffered from PCS. And are we so uncaring that we forget the mental state Mike Webster before he died? I applaud Ben for having the courage to bring this subject further into the light. He is doing the right thing by shedding more light on PCS. Kudos, Ben. It takes a message from a "star" to further bring this out of the shadows. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if less and less plays get called in his favor. Refs may be instructed to look the other way on late hits on him and PI on his receivers.You had me until the last sentence Rupert.

http://i.imgur.com/3vVuqTa.gif