PDA

View Full Version : Playoff possibilities

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Playoff possibilities

by Ray Fittipaldo

The Steelers are 6-5 and remain in contention for a playoff berth, but their chances took a hit with the loss. They might be able to afford one more loss and make it as a wild-card, but even that seems up in the air now.

The Kansas City Chiefs, Houston Texans and New York Jets own the tiebreakers over the Steelers, who are currently the No. 8 seed in the AFC. The Chiefs and Texans are currently in, and they have very manageable schedules.

The Chiefs play at Oakland, play host to San Diego, travel to Baltimore and then play host to the Browns and Raiders in the final two weeks.

The Texans travel to Buffalo, play host to New England, travel to Indianapolis and Tennessee and then play host to Jacksonville in the regular-season finale.

The Jets have the most difficult schedule of the three contenders with 6-5 records. They are at the Giants, at home to Tennessee, at the Cowboys, at home to the Patriots and at Buffalo.

I was convinced 10-6 would get the Steelers in the playoffs a month ago, but that was before the Chiefs and Texans went on their winning streaks. It’s not difficult to imagine both going 4-1 over their final five games.

The Steelers would have to go 5-0 to avoid losing on a tiebreaker in that scenario. This team isn’t good enough on offense or defense to do that. Their best hope is to beat Indianapolis and hope the Texans win the AFC South. The head-to-head victory over the Colts would help the Steelers in a tiebreaker and it’d be another conference victory.

If there was one saving grace about the Seattle loss it was that it came out of conference. If there was one game the Steelers could afford to lose the rest of the way it was that one.

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/11/30/This-one-s-on-Tomlin/stories/201511300002

steelreserve
11-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Earlier in the season, I would've said 9-7 was probably good enough for the playoffs because the AFC is super-weak outside of the top 3 or 4 teams. But since we're in tiebreaker hell, we'll probably have to be 10-6 or even 11-5.

Since there are 5 games left, we can probably count on having explosive diarrhea all over ourselves for at least one of them, so I'm calling 10-6 the best case.

Rotorhead
11-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Chiefs could lose one of the games to Oakland, but they have the best chance to win out.

Texans have a tough go, I could see them losing to NE, then dropping one either to Buffalo or Indy (both are playing for a playoff spot too)

Jets could lose to any of or all three Giants, NE and Buffalo

We could still lose to the Broncos and make the playoffs, but 4-1 would be the worst we could to to get in. If we win out we are in.

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 02:20 PM
NFL playoff picture: Who needs what to reach the postseason

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-playoff-picture--who-needs-what-to-reach-the-postseason-074412089.html

ALLD
11-30-2015, 02:32 PM
We might be lucky to beat the Bengals away, but there is no way we will beat the Pats or the Panthers. Too much stupidity and aggrandizing platitudes from the sidelines and not enough common sense and execution either.

teegre
11-30-2015, 02:35 PM
15-5

Rotorhead
12-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Well, maybe Boykin gets his start, Gay improves on the outside in place of Blake, Boykin improves the slot play and our secondary goes from terrible to average . . . if that were to happen our defense would be greatly improved and then I would say we could actually beat anyone.

BigBen2004
12-01-2015, 01:05 PM
The Jets will finish 9-7

The Texans will finish 9-7 (or 8-8 if they revert back to the first half of the season)

The Cheifs will be 10-6

The Steelers will be 10-6

Indy sweeps Houston to win the AFC South, the Chiefs get the #5 seed, Steelers get the #6 seed and have to travel to Denver or Cincy.
More than likely meaning; Another season without a playoff win. Those losses against "bottom feeders" will kill you, Tomlin.

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Losses to NE (defending SB champs), Cincy (2014 playoff team), Baltimore (2014 playoff team), Seattle (defending NFC champs), and KC, who all of a sudden aren't nearly as bad as they looked earlier in the season.

Which one of those is a "bottom feeder?"

teegre
12-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Losses to NE (defending SB champs), Cincy (2014 playoff team), Baltimore (2014 playoff team), Seattle (defending NFC champs), and KC, who all of a sudden aren't nearly as bad as they looked earlier in the season.

Stop making sense.

tube517
12-01-2015, 03:22 PM
15-5

:nono:

This post is:

A. Number of Strawman arguments

B. Some type of poker hand or card sequence

C. A 007 Code

D. UV rating of sunglasses

E. A time stamp of a hippo fart on Youtube

:chuckle:

Steelman
12-01-2015, 03:24 PM

This post is:

C. A 007 Code

Nailed it. :rofl2:

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 03:28 PM

This post is:

C. A 007 Code

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prtsIbjTjQc

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 03:33 PM

This post is:

C. A 007 Code

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=117780

BigBen2004
12-01-2015, 08:23 PM

None. That's why I said, "bottom feeders". It was a shot at those who say they were terrible teams. KC is now in line for a playoff spot, and Baltimore is our bitter rival, whom we played without our starting QB on a short week.

So, yeah. No need to try to start an argument.

86WARD
12-01-2015, 09:22 PM

Baltimore at this stage is a bottom feeder. No doubt.

teegre
12-01-2015, 09:49 PM

I know that it's cliché... but, you can throw out the records when those two teams play.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 09:57 PM

yeah, they just fed on some Brownies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB05fddr0F4

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 10:07 PM
None. That's why I said, "bottom feeders". It was a shot at those who say they were terrible teams. KC is now in line for a playoff spot, and Baltimore is our bitter rival, whom we played without our starting QB on a short week.

So, yeah. No need to try to start an argument.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. :hatsoff:

fansince'76
12-01-2015, 10:08 PM
I know that it's cliché... but, you can throw out the records when those two teams play.

And I'd be willing to bet they'll be right back in the mix next year. Unlike the Browns, they're a well-run franchise. They're just having a lousy season.