PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin lives in his fears

zoneblitzerII
11-30-2015, 12:13 PM
This article says it all.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-seahawks-mike-tomlin-live-in-his-fears/

Column: Mike Tomlin Chose To Live In His Fears Sunday With His “Calculated Risk”
For a head coach who claims he never lives in his fears, Pittsburgh Steelerssideline boss Mike Tomlin sure seemed to do just that late in Sunday’s loss to the Seattle Seahawks.
With the Steelers trailing the Seahawks 32-27 with 3:02 left in the game, Tomlin chose to kick a field goal instead of letting his offense attempt to take the lead on 4th down from the 3-yard-line.
Had the Steelers defense showed during the Seahawks previous two offensive possessions that they could prevent quarterback Russell Wilson from ripping them apart through the air, perhaps I could then understand Tomlin’s decision to kick a field goal that late in the game.
Remember, this is a head coach who always seems to like to go for two after touchdowns and one who has also allowed his offense to stay on the field on fourth downs a total of 9 times so far this season entering Sunday’s game. This wasn’t fourth and goal from 6 or 7 yard-line mind you, it was from the 3, which is only one yard more than a two-point conversion.
Additionally, this is a head coach who chose to run a fake field goal earlier in the game that resulted in Landry Jones being intercepted by Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane on a pass intended for all people, tackle Alejandro Villanueva.
“I called a fake field goal that was unsuccessful. I own that,” said Tomlin after the game.
Tomlin went on to say that his decision to kick the late field goal had nothing to do with the health of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who may have suffered a concussion due to a hit from Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett earlier in that drive.
“We just need to get a stop,” Tomlin said when continuing to explain his decision to kick the field goal. “I felt comfortable with our ability to do it. Obviously we didn’t, but it was a calculated risk you take during football games. It was a five-point game at that point and just wanted to give the guys an opportunity to take the points and maybe win it.”
Actually, a calculated risk in that situation would have been to let his offense go for it on fourth down instead of kicking a field goal. Had they failed to score on that play, at least the Seahawks offense would’ve been pinned deep in their own end with Tomlin still having two timeouts at his disposal. His trust would’ve still been in his defense at that point and had the unit responded with a three and out, his offense likely would’ve had one last shot to win the game with a touchdown with more than enough time left on the clock.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 07:26 PM
That's the one thing about Tomlin is he'll take the risks but they are never calculated. Sometimes it's a good time to take them, sometimes it's a terrible time to take them. There's no rhyme or reason to them...which could be a good thing...

st33lersguy
11-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Mike Tomlin logic 101: Go for a 2-point conversion up 9-7 after scoring a TD, go for it on 4th down on 4th and 2 from your own 31 with a very accurate kicker (Kansas City game), and go for it on 4th and 2 from your own 27 on a "surprise trick play" given away by Landry Jones being in the huddle, but kick the field goal at your own 3 with 3 minutes left down by 5 and with your defense unable to stop a nosebleed.

Drazo85
12-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Mike Tomlin logic 101: Go for a 2-point conversion up 9-7 after scoring a TD, go for it on 4th down on 4th and 2 from your own 31 with a very accurate kicker (Kansas City game), and go for it on 4th and 2 from your own 27 on a "surprise trick play" given away by Landry Jones being in the huddle, but kick the field goal at your own 3 with 3 minutes left down by 5 and with your defense unable to stop a nosebleed.
I have problem also with his logic. But I gotta give him something, he is straightforward with his decisions. I know his honesty is not going to justify his stupidity and lack of common sense, but I feel he is honest when he talks about his so called curious decisions.

Moose
12-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Exactly ! Seems he always makes the terrible decision at the wrong times....drives me insane! He seems like a good 'player's' coach, just losing faith in his team coaching.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 03:53 PM

that's my main issue.

we've been fed a steady dose of 2-point conversions all season long yet with the game on the line Tomlin doesn't have the guts to go for the lead with what is essentially a 2-point conversion situation from the 4 yard line...

MrPgh
12-01-2015, 04:14 PM
This all seems like low-hanging fruit. Clearly Tomlin's problems are above the neck. We accept that.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 04:19 PM
This all seems like low-hanging fruit. Clearly Tomlin's problems are above the neck. We accept that.

"We're not going to live in our fears, we're going to live in our hopes"...

TeeTee
12-01-2015, 04:22 PM
I have problem also with his logic. But I gotta give him something, he is straightforward with his decisions. I know his honesty is not going to justify his stupidity and lack of common sense, but I feel he is honest when he talks about his so called curious decisions.

And all of that won't even buy you a cup of coffee. I have never seen anyone proud to not think or use logic.

ALLD
12-02-2015, 04:55 AM
The problem is familiar among gamblers where Tomlin has become snake-bit and it's taking him on a hard losing streak. He needs to delegate more and become more of an administrator.