PDA

View Full Version : This is Why the Steelers Lost...

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 10:35 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-film-room-cover-3-leads-to-explosive-plays/

The above and the two interceptions by Ben.

steelreserve
11-30-2015, 10:48 AM
So in other words, we got outcoached.

In fact, it was worse than that: Once they had a drive or two to figure it out, they exploited the shit out of the same weakness all day and we did nothing to change that. That's not just getting outcoached, that's failing to coach at all.

That, plus we have shitty players back there and refuse to try any of the other ones, because hey, starter.

BnG_Hevn
11-30-2015, 10:52 AM
The Landry Jones is the key. That should not have happened. The two INTs by Ben didn't kill us. The one INT by that lineman is what it is, a guy making a good play.

The Jone's INT kills me though. I was listening on Sirius on way home from VA and screaming NOOOOOOOO!!!! Then on the end-around I was like "here we go again", but thankfully that worked out.

- - - Updated - - -

They pulled that nonsense in week 1 too. Ridiculous.

Moose
11-30-2015, 10:57 AM

In fact, it was worse than that: Once they had a drive or two to figure it out, they exploited the shit out of the same weakness all day and we did nothing to change that. That's not just getting outcoached, that's failing to coach at all.

That, plus we have shitty players back there and refuse to try any of the other ones, because hey, starter.

Exactly ! Couldn't say it any better. We go no where with Landry. When in the hell we dumping this 6th stringer ?

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 10:59 AM

I tend to agree with all of that. I would really like to know, and there is no way to get this information aside from being on the coaching staff, is whether the scheme is not really changeable so that they can "hide" the deficiencies of the players or if Butler is stubborn? Or is the NFL so complex that you can't really change schemes on the fly?

Finally, this points to a problem that is not really Tomlin's issue on gameday. He oversees and calls for silly things like fake FGs and random 4th down attempts - but it is Butler who is dialing up coverages on a play by play basis. As you correctly pointed out, the Seahawks exposed a weakness and Butler just kept leading with his chin. There are two ways to view that. One is that Butler is a moron and bad at his job. The second is that there is a reason for staying in that coverage that isn't discussed in the article and I am not clever enough to reason out. I have to believe it is the second or I would need to just stop watching this team at all.

All that being said, some one needs benched. Almost all the explosive plays came from Allen and Blake's side of the field. Next men up - Golden and Boykin?

steel striker
11-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Tomlin makes bad football decisions! Take the points kick the field goal and, go for it under three minutes on the for yard line.

B&GFever
11-30-2015, 11:18 AM
make no mistake , it is and always was and always will be the head coaches fault when things go bad and nothing it done to fix it .

it is his job ( whomever he happens to be that varies team to team ) if they see a problem reoccurring over and over and do not intervene

Tomlin was a def. coach before becoming a head coach , he should be able to see these issues and diagnosis them long before the fans do and he has the ultimate authority on the team on game day.

its easy to blame Butler ( as it was Lebeau ) but the common denominator is Tomlin and to a lessor degree Lake.

this is not an attempt to say Tomlin must go , but it is a call for him to change and make a change/changes in personnel and if he doesn't then he should be shown the door. the Big Ben window is closing

steelreserve
11-30-2015, 11:20 AM
I tend to agree with all of that. I would really like to know, and there is no way to get this information aside from being on the coaching staff, is whether the scheme is not really changeable so that they can "hide" the deficiencies of the players or if Butler is stubborn? Or is the NFL so complex that you can't really change schemes on the fly?

Finally, this points to a problem that is not really Tomlin's issue on gameday. He oversees and calls for silly things like fake FGs and random 4th down attempts - but it is Butler who is dialing up coverages on a play by play basis. As you correctly pointed out, the Seahawks exposed a weakness and Butler just kept leading with his chin. There are two ways to view that. One is that Butler is a moron and bad at his job. The second is that there is a reason for staying in that coverage that isn't discussed in the article and I am not clever enough to reason out. I have to believe it is the second or I would need to just stop watching this team at all.

All that being said, some one needs benched. Almost all the explosive plays came from Allen and Blake's side of the field. Next men up - Golden and Boykin?

Golden has been as good or better than Allen when he's filled in - I would call that one a no-brainer. Boykin is anyone's guess, but it would be almost impossible to do worse than Blake, so no way to go but up.

One other problem I think we had on defense is that we spent a lot of effort on "containing Russell Wilson," which led to a softer pass rush and more of the sit-back. That was a huge mistake. What's the damage if we play a regular semi-aggressive rush - Wilson scrambles for 15 yards a couple of times? So what's better? That, or giving him time and leaving receivers wide open way down the field?

The fact is, these DBs are GOING to leave receivers open whether we play man or zone, or whether we blitz or sit back. The only thing we can control is how much time the quarterback has to spot the mistakes and throw the ball. The correct answer is: Fuck containment, fuck damage control - we have to get pressure or we are going to give up backbreaking big plays on a regular basis.

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Golden has been as good or better than Allen when he's filled in - I would call that one a no-brainer. Boykin is anyone's guess, but it would be almost impossible to do worse than Blake, so no way to go but up.

One other problem I think we had on defense is that we spent a lot of effort on "containing Russell Wilson," which led to a softer pass rush and more of the sit-back. That was a huge mistake. What's the damage if we play a regular semi-aggressive rush - Wilson scrambles for 15 yards a couple of times? So what's better? That, or giving him time and leaving receivers wide open way down the field?

The fact is, these DBs are GOING to leave receivers open whether we play man or zone, or whether we blitz or sit back. The only thing we can control is how much time the quarterback has to spot the mistakes and throw the ball. The correct answer is: Fuck containment, fuck damage control - we have to get pressure or we are going to give up backbreaking big plays on a regular basis.

I would agree with that as well. I think the only way for this defense to be successful is to be fundamentally sound against the run and then put the pedal to the floor on the pass rush. Bring everyone, from anywhere, all the time. Basically Rex and Buddy Ryan style all out havoc. Not like leaving your secondary exposed could lead to any more big passing plays. Those are already happening! :)