PDA

View Full Version : Steelers - best team left in the AFC

ETL
11-29-2015, 11:47 PM
I know this sounds like an odd post after a bad loss at Seatte but I think the Steelers now have the best shot to represent the AFC in the super Bowl.

I had already believed the Steelers were the best playoff capable team outside of the Patriots but with the potential loss of Gronk for the season, I don't see the Pats having enough offense or a good enough defense to get to the SB.

As far as the other teams:

the Broncos: having QB issues-can't see Osweiler leading them to the SB
the Bengals: can't trust Dalton in the playoffs
the Colts: QB issues as well
the Chiefs: beat the Steelers at home but we didn't have Ben
the Jets: can't trust Fitzpatrick
the Texans: can't trust Hoyer

Basically the Steelers have the best QB and supporting cast. I know the 6-5 record does not justify my confidence but there is no other offense as high powered as the Steelers and the competition is relatively weak this year.

I pray that our players stay healthy. I don't care if we barely make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 record. As long as the players are healthy - the playoffs are ours to win or lose.

teegre
11-29-2015, 11:51 PM
This x 1000

fansince'76
11-29-2015, 11:59 PM
I agree that the Steelers have as good a chance as anybody if they get there, but they have to make the postseason first.

This season is beginning to have the same feel as 2013, where we win just enough games to give us a mathematical chance in week 17, only to have our hearts ripped out during the very last game of the regular season when someone we need to win/lose doesn't.

Steelman
11-30-2015, 12:02 AM
I could feel better about this post if we'd won today, but do agree with you to a certain extent. However, with the way this team mismanages talent and critical situations, who's to say we even get in the playoffs? That's the biting part to me. Yeah, we have the offensive talent to put points on the board, but our defense is a major liability and some of the good performances we saw early in the season from that unit appear to be a mirage.

Regardless of where the Pats end up (I still think they retain the 1 seed) they're gonna be a tough out, particularly if we have to travel to Gillette. Same with Denver, as we saw tonight.

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Everyone starts the post-season 0-0. Recent seasons in the NFL have documented time and again that the modern game allows a wildcard team to make deep and championship level play-off run.

Is there a defense in the league that wants to play the Steelers offense when Roethlisberger is healthy? I mean, goodness, he is basically match-up proof at this point. He can drop 300+ on anyone at anytime.

Edman
11-30-2015, 12:05 AM
The wildcard is the Steelers themselves.

They are their own worst enemy. No doubt the Steelers have the talent and the ability to make some real noise, but the problem is they can't be counted on not to screw things up. The loss to Seattle sums up the Steelers better than any game out there. Play a talented team to the hilt but destroy themselves in critical moments.

steelreserve
11-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Three hands of blackjack. We are one of the only teams with enough offensive capability intact to be sure of representing ourselves well in each of those contests.

However, our defensive backfield is an equally fatal flaw to any problems that those other teams show on offense. The great equalizer. We've got as good a shot as anyone in the field, provided we make the playoffs (which at the moment, we aren't), but I'd hardly call us the favorites. We're one game above .500 and have a knack for soul-crushing miscues this season.

teegre
11-30-2015, 12:27 AM
If the Steelers beat the Colts, the Texans take over the AFC South... which slides the Steelers into the sixth seed.

fansince'76
11-30-2015, 12:29 AM
If the Steelers beat the Colts, the Texans take over the AFC South... which slides the Steelers into the sixth seed.

Actually, it's better than 2013 at this point then - we had to have a ridiculous number of things go our way on the last day of the regular season and amazingly they all did until the Chargers/Chiefs game. :doh:

teegre
11-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Actually, it's better than 2013 at this point then - we had to have a ridiculous number of things go our way on the last day of the regular season and amazingly they all did until the Chargers/Chiefs game. :doh:

Yep.

If there were only 2 games left, I'd be worrie. But, with 5 games left, the Steelers are in great shape.

zoneblitzerII
11-30-2015, 01:19 AM
Steelers are fragile mentally. They are weak on the road. They get jittery and make too many mistakes. The best way to win on the road in the postseason is to pack a run game and good defence. The Steelers don't have one of those things outright and don't frankly give a shit about establishing the either. The finesse game will be their downfall. Of the wild cards, I'd put them behind the Chiefs. If they somehow make it to New England, they'll get slaughtered to pieces.

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 01:48 AM
Steelers are fragile mentally. They are weak on the road. They get jittery and make too many mistakes. The best way to win on the road in the postseason is to pack a run game and good defence. The Steelers don't have one of those things outright and don't frankly give a shit about establishing the either. The finesse game will be their downfall. Of the wild cards, I'd put them behind the Chiefs. If they somehow make it to New England, they'll get slaughtered to pieces.

When was the last time that was true? 2000? Even the 2005 Steelers team passed on the road 3 times to get a lead and then only ran when the game was no longer in doubt.

The defense part I won't debate you on. But a dominant run game, a stout defense, and winning road playoff games 12-6 is just not going to happen anymore.

StillCurtains
11-30-2015, 02:04 AM
I know this sounds like an odd post after a bad loss at Seatte but I think the Steelers now have the best shot to represent the AFC in the super Bowl.

I had already believed the Steelers were the best playoff capable team outside of the Patriots but with the potential loss of Gronk for the season, I don't see the Pats having enough offense or a good enough defense to get to the SB.

Basically the Steelers have the best QB and supporting cast. I know the 6-5 record does not justify my confidence but there is no other offense as high powered as the Steelers and the competition is relatively weak this year.

I pray that our players stay healthy. I don't care if we barely make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 record. As long as the players are healthy - the playoffs are ours to win or lose.

We are, but it comes with alot of if's. First off, Tomlin has to get out of his own way and stop making stupid decisions. The fake fg was absolutely stupid. In the beginning of the game your supposed to establish a lead, then attempt to build on it by executing high percentage plays.

You then get more aggressive with your play calling later in the game to close them out. As far as aggressive, attempting a fake fg, especially in the first quarter is not in my playbook. That play to me is just trying to be cute more than anything. You're not going to beat a team like Seattle by being cute.

He's aggressive when he should be conservative and is conservative when he should be aggressive. If your defense is making no stops, and your offense has the ball 4th and goal inside the 5 with a little over 3 minutes left with 2 timeouts, what do you do? You go for it, but Tomlin decides to be conservative at the wrong time and kick a fg. You don't make it, their offense is pinned back and you have 2 timeouts. Very dumb.

Also, the secondary just has to have changes made. Cockrell struggled some but still was mostly in good position. He made a good play on Graham but Graham made a better catch. Blake was terrible all around. He absolutely has to go. They might want to play Golden at Safety or move Grant there as well.

It's really time that Tomlin makes these changes because now, the season is in danger and we can't afford Blake to continue to kill us.

Lastly, Haley... He has got to stop the deep throws on 3rd and short. Missing these low percentage deep passes are killing our drives. There is too much talent on this team to be throwing deep on 3rd and short. You run a high percentage play to get the necessary yardage to extend the drive. You can use first or second down to throw the deep stuff. You don't do this on third down unless absolutely necessary, especially on third and manageable. It leaves points on the field.

I do feel that not only are we the best team in the afc, but the best in football. However, if Tomlin and the coaches don't decide to get their heads out of their behinds, and start making the right decisions and necessary changes, then I hate to say, this team will go nowhere fast. It's got to stop. This team is too good to continue to put them in situations that they can't succeed.

BigBen2004
11-30-2015, 02:48 AM
We are, but it comes with alot of if's. First off, Tomlin has to get out of his own way and stop making stupid decisions. The fake fg was absolutely stupid. In the beginning of the game your supposed to establish a lead, then attempt to build on it by executing high percentage plays.

You then get more aggressive with your play calling later in the game to close them out. As far as aggressive, attempting a fake fg, especially in the first quarter is not in my playbook. That play to me is just trying to be cute more than anything. You're not going to beat a team like Seattle by being cute.

He's aggressive when he should be conservative and is conservative when he should be aggressive. If your defense is making no stops, and your offense has the ball 4th and goal inside the 5 with a little over 3 minutes left with 2 timeouts, what do you do? You go for it, but Tomlin decides to be conservative at the wrong time and kick a fg. You don't make it, their offense is pinned back and you have 2 timeouts. Very dumb.

Also, the secondary just has to have changes made. Cockrell struggled some but still was mostly in good position. He made a good play on Graham but Graham made a better catch. Blake was terrible all around. He absolutely has to go. They might want to play Golden at Safety or move Grant there as well.

It's really time that Tomlin makes these changes because now, the season is in danger and we can't afford Blake to continue to kill us.

Lastly, Haley... He has got to stop the deep throws on 3rd and short. Missing these low percentage deep passes are killing our drives. There is too much talent on this team to be throwing deep on 3rd and short. You run a high percentage play to get the necessary yardage to extend the drive. You can use first or second down to throw the deep stuff. You don't do this on third down unless absolutely necessary, especially on third and manageable. It leaves points on the field.

I do feel that not only are we the best team in the afc, but the best in football. However, if Tomlin and the coaches don't decide to get their heads out of their behinds, and start making the right decisions and necessary changes, then I hate to say, this team will go nowhere fast. It's got to stop. This team is too good to continue to put them in situations that they can't succeed.

This Steelers team is not the best in the league. Their pass defense is as atrocious as it was last year, if not worse. The only thing that was masking it was forcing turnovers. Didn't force any today, and the opposing team had a field day.

With our conference record, if we don't win out, or go at LEAST 4-1, they're not even going to get a ticket to the big dance.
First move, Boykin over Blake.

NCSteeler
11-30-2015, 04:10 AM
Really. This defense just made Russell look like Dan Marino almost the yards they give up finally came with touchdowns attached. The team looked limit quit late I t the game. The play calling on the final field goal was mind numbing throwing to the end zone like it was 20 seconds left. This team will be lucky to squeak into the playoffs let alone beat anyone

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Drazo85
11-30-2015, 05:23 AM
This Steelers team is capable destroying any team on the field including themselves.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 05:27 AM
This Steelers team is not the best in the league. Their pass defense is as atrocious as it was last year, if not worse. The only thing that was masking it was forcing turnovers. Didn't force any today, and the opposing team had a field day.

With our conference record, if we don't win out, or go at LEAST 4-1, they're not even going to get a ticket to the big dance.
First move, Boykin over Blake.

This. As good as the offense is, at times, yesterday, they aren't good enough to overcome the atrocity that is the Steelers pass defense. Has a team with the worst pass defense in the league ever won or at least gotten to the Super Bowl? I have no idea...

The initial reports are that the knee injury to Gronk isn't serious?

Count Steeler
11-30-2015, 05:31 AM
1.) We have one of the best offenses in the league and we can hang 30 on almost anyone.

2.) We have a porous swiss cheese secondary that could allow any offense to hang 35 on us.

If 2 does not get addressed and Butler does not come up with in game adjustments, 1 won't matter. It will just be frustrating loss after frustrating loss. Yeah, we will get those weeks where the opposing offense can't get out of their own way and help our D. It still boggles my mind that Cleveland had 372 yards in the air and only 9 points. Don't know if any other team could match that feat. Wilson only had 345 yards in comparison, but the goal line had more tackles than all but 3 Steelers. You have to keep the goal line to 1 or 2 tackles a game. Not 5.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 05:33 AM
The Broncos have a defense that can stop the Steelers offense. They have an offense that could beat the Steelers defense. Especially if the game is in Denver.

plenewken
11-30-2015, 05:43 AM
But, with 5 games left, the Steelers are in great shape.

.............to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs.

st33lersguy
11-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Defense wins championships and this defense couldn't stop a nosebleed. If they make the playoffs (and that's a huge if), they will probably be the wrst defense in the AFC playoffs, a recipe for disaster.

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2015, 07:29 AM
This team isn't going anywhere without changes being made in the secondary. Boykin needs to start over Blake and I'd also consider Golden at SS over Allen.

tube517
11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
This team isn't going anywhere without changes being made in the secondary. Boykin needs to start over Blake and I'd also consider Golden at SS over Allen.

This

NCSteeler
11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
I thought they played well the weeks Allen was out. I actually thought Golden would stay in when Allen returned but I forgot about coach overly loyal cool shades.

Edman
11-30-2015, 09:21 AM
If 2 does not get addressed and Butler does not come up with in game adjustments, 1 won't matter. It will just be frustrating loss after frustrating loss. Yeah, we will get those weeks where the opposing offense can't get out of their own way and help our D.

[QUOTE]It still boggles my mind that Cleveland had 372 yards in the air and only 9 points. Don't know if any other team could match that feat. Wilson only had 345 yards in comparison, but the goal line had more tackles than all but 3 Steelers.

Cleveland was down most of the game and threw a lot.

Russell Wilson had ridiculously short fields coming off of Steeler turnovers. By the Offense by the way. Funny you forget that little detail.

Before you start lambasting the Defense for everything and absolving the Offense, take a look over at the other side of the ball, who turned the ball over four times. Seattle just took advantages of the opportunities they were given. 19 points off of Steelers turnovers. True to form, the Steelers killed themselves more than the Seahawks did.

The problem with our Steelers isn't just one thing, it's many things at once. You are not going to win many football games back -4 in the turnover margin. It was a complete team loss yesterday. Offense has shit ball security, and the Defense couldn't stop anyone.

plenewken
11-30-2015, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE]

The problem with our Steelers isn't just one thing, it's many things at once. You are not going to win many football games back -4 in the turnover margin. It was a complete team loss yesterday. Offense has shit ball security, and the Defense couldn't stop anyone.

+1000. People seem to forget that the O turned the ball over FOUR TIMES, 2 for Ben and 2 for Jones. You can't do that even against the Browns, let alone against the Seahawks.

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 10:25 AM
The best team in football? Wow. No wonder everyone freaks out when the Steelers lose if that is your mental starting point.

Also, what "in game adjustments" could Butler make? Make Will Allen faster in the player editor? Make Cockerell taller? Make Shazier not glass?

I think we need to start accepting that there are questionable coaching decisions and actions with the Steelers, like any team, but there is also a glaring lack of talent on defense across the back 4. Coming in to this season most impartial observers thought it was one of the 5 worst secondaries in the league. For the first 8-9 weeks, Butler made "adjustments" that masked that. Now teams have countered those adjustments and I'm not sure there is much else that can be done.

BnG_Hevn
11-30-2015, 10:55 AM
They may have the best team, but play-calling is atrocious at times.

Rotorhead
11-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Well, Gronk will probable be fine according to reports. The Steelers definately have one of the top offenses in the league so maybe if they actually decide to tweak the def backfield a bit this week we could see an improvement there. (One can hope right?) One thing is we better lock Spence up soon, because I can see him playing a lot behind Shazier (I prefer Spence over Williams). Maybe we can use Williams for trade bait to either move up in the draft or for an average CB (which would then be our top CB). I don't think Denver's Def can stop our offense, just like I didn't think Seattle's def could either. We are simply too deep for anyone to stop us, we are the ones who are going to stop ourselves.

zoneblitzerII
11-30-2015, 12:19 PM

I agree with everything you said right up to best in football. Nowhere close to that. Still lots of work to be done.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM
The best team in football? Wow. No wonder everyone freaks out when the Steelers lose if that is your mental starting point.

Also, what "in game adjustments" could Butler make? Make Will Allen faster in the player editor? Make Cockerell taller? Make Shazier not glass?

I think we need to start accepting that there are questionable coaching decisions and actions with the Steelers, like any team, but there is also a glaring lack of talent on defense across the back 4. Coming in to this season most impartial observers thought it was one of the 5 worst secondaries in the league. For the first 8-9 weeks, Butler made "adjustments" that masked that. Now teams have countered those adjustments and I'm not sure there is much else that can be done.

Adjustments? Coverage? Scheme? Personnel? I think we all thought the DBs needed work...you're right, the talent is not there, but there's a couple players on the bench that may or may not be better on game day. We don't know...but apparently the coaching does...

Count Steeler
11-30-2015, 01:13 PM

Get Golden back in at safety and, I don't know, play a CB that we gave up a 5th rounder for.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, Boykin did play in 1 game, and low and behold he knocked down a pass in the end zone. I think I remember reading that he has been in for a total of 21 snaps. Considering who is ahead of him, I would give him a shot. Can he really be much worse?

Seattle adjusted their DL at the half and they were able to get more pressure on Ben, that impacted the game. If we have nothing in the cupboard, then oh well.

TeeTee
11-30-2015, 01:37 PM

Early reports are that Gronk's injury is not serious. And Amandola will be back soon. But, geesh, has NE ever been clobbered with the injury bug, and not just in skilled players, but the OL as well. We look like the pillar of health compared to their M*A*S*H unit.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4788072/unlike-rob-gronkowski-being-carted-off-in-13-possible-this-time-isnt-as-bad

But fair warning: Pats and Brady seemingly overcome any amount of injuries, for whatever reason. But I have to say, watching that game last night, it looked like all the losses are catching up to them. Brady was like a master carpenter having to to work with nothing other than a crude hammer and hacksaw.

As for the rest of the contenders, I mostly agree, but I wouldn't assume we will beat Denver; either Manning was hurt and will be healthy come the play offs, or this Brock fellow will be good enough to keep playing. Their D is obviously better than ours, and we would have to play in their house in post season. So I don't assume we win that.

We could beat the others listed, but considering our special needs person at head coach, we could lose to anyone. It's like we have a special needs child trying to call plays out there; it's kind of funny and cute, if your team's success isn't tied into his child-like decisions.

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Count and 86, I get what you are saying. I would love to see Boykin get a shot. If they can pot Cortez Allen on IR because he is injured and sucks, certainly they can "bench" Blake for a game and call it a chance to heal.

But really, look at the secondary and tell me that Boykin is going to take this from the 30th ranked pass defense to something around middle of the pack?

Certainly, he can not make it worse - but significantly better? Doubtful.

Count Steeler
11-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Count and 86, I get what you are saying. I would love to see Boykin get a shot. If they can pot Cortez Allen on IR because he is injured and sucks, certainly they can "bench" Blake for a game and call it a chance to heal.

But really, look at the secondary and tell me that Boykin is going to take this from the 30th ranked pass defense to something around middle of the pack?

Maybe not, but you have to start somewhere. I think Golden performed better in the last few games when Allen sat out. I know you are not supposed to lose your starting job because of injury, but you should certainly lose it if you have lost a step and are out of position. Maybe just rust? We shall see.

And looking at the other thread about the breakdown of the missed tackles, Blake should not have been in the game. He was definitely favoring his right shoulder/arm.

Rotorhead
11-30-2015, 02:07 PM

If he can play at least as well as Cockrell has so far this season, our pass defense improved significantly. Hell, if he can tackle it improves. Teams are literally throwing to Blake's guy/side all game. Normally when you gameplan for a player, it is to avoid them, it is the opposite for Blake, teams come in with the gameplan to thow to his side. Everyone wants to talk about how dumb Shark is, but Blake is almost ALWAYS out of position leaving a WR open on his side more often than not. If Boykin can simply be near the WR on his side and not leave them completely uncovered with a blown assignment, our def backfield is miles ahead of what it is now. I almost think Allen was burned on those 2 plays because he is trying to cover for Blake. If you look again, almost all the wide open plays were to Blake's side, that isn't a coincidence.

teegre
11-30-2015, 02:22 PM
Here are my thoughts on Boykin.

Up until yesterday, the "bend but don't break" philosophy was working. Boykin might not be able to help with the bend, but I think that he can indeed keep the defense from breaking. As the field shortens, Boykin should be able to play tighter coverage than Blake... which will (once again) force teams to settle for FGs.

steelreserve
11-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Here are my thoughts on Boykin.

Up until yesterday, the "bend but don't break" philosophy was working. Boykin might not be able to help with the bend, but I think that he can indeed keep the defense from breaking. As the field shortens, Boykin should be able to play tighter coverage than Blake... which will (once again) force teams to settle for FGs.

As long as he doesn't consistently leave guys wide open way down the field, and then miss the tackle on top of it, he will be an upgrade. It's really "nothing to lose, so what the hell" at this point for me.

teegre
11-30-2015, 02:31 PM
As long as he doesn't consistently leave guys wide open way down the field, and then miss the tackle on top of it, he will be an upgrade. It's really "nothing to lose, so what the hell" at this point for me.

Agreed.

If I recall, Boykin doesn't tackle well.

Welp... neither does Blake.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 02:48 PM

No he's not...but he may be able to make a play on 3rd & 9 to force a punt to get the ball back in the hands of the Steelers offense. And we're not sure he could do that...we don't know...

TeeTee
11-30-2015, 03:11 PM

This is where Lake's "We are doing OK" quote comes into play. They were thinking, as things stood, we were a play off team, so don't risk changes. It is thoroughly frustrating that some petty BS is keeping Boink from playing, as our pass D is near dead last in entire NFL; that is pathetic. If this team is operating on ego protection instead of doing the smartest moves, we are screwed. And it appears we are operating on ego protection, something Belichick would never ever do.

Psycho Ward 86
11-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Agreed.

If I recall, Boykin doesn't tackle well.

Welp... neither does Blake.

At least we know he can cover

tube517
11-30-2015, 03:20 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0504/sn_e_emporer_576x469.jpg :jerkit:

st33lersguy
11-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Does anyone really trust Tomlin to have this team mentally strong enough to win 3 road playoff games? I don't, especially with this porous pass defense

86WARD
11-30-2015, 07:51 PM
Does anyone really trust Tomlin to have this team mentally strong enough to win 3 road playoff games? I don't, especially with this porous pass defense

No.

But I think Ben, AB, Cam...I think they could do it.

BigBen2004
12-01-2015, 01:40 AM
No.

But I think Ben, AB, Cam...I think they could do it.

But as we saw yesterday, Ben can't carry this team too far. He put up 450 yards, 30 points, and yet we still lose by two possessions. Why? Because Russell Wilson had all day in the pocket, and when he didn't, he didn't need it because the secondary can't stop a nosebleed.

If Boykin doesn't get some reps against Indy, then Tomlin truly is an imbecile. We're not a playoff team, as it stands right now. Shit needs to tighten up. Namely, that dumpster fire of a secondary. Boykin could not make this any worse.

You know what else bothers me? I see Cam after every loss putting so much of the blame on himself. He said, "I need to get off double teams better. I need to pressure the quarterback."
Are you kidding me? Dude's a monster, in every sense of the word. He is so far from the problem. But, it bothers me because nobody else seems as angry. They all say the same, tired BS. "We have to play better", yeah, no shit. Half of the guys on this defense don't seem to want it as much as people like Cam, Tuitt and Mitchell. I see fire from them, both on and off the field.

They better grab the scotch tape and try to put some pieces together, because if not, Tomlin will be watching the playoffs from his couch with Harbaugh.