PDA

View Full Version : Who took Ben out? And other thoughts.

zulater
11-29-2015, 09:51 PM
Has anyone heard who made the call to remove Ben from the game? I'm guessing it wasn't the spotter, because if so Ben is removed right after the pf hit. So it was either a league official or Ben, or someone from the team. I'm guessing this came from New York. But am curious to see if there's been any official declaration yet.

Overall I came away from this game thinking the Steelers are a dangerous team going forward. Of course this is assuming Ben clears the concussion protocol and plays next week.

katmandu
11-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Has anyone heard who made the call to remove Ben from the game? I'm guessing it wasn't the spotter, because if so Ben is removed right after the pf hit. So it was either a league official or Ben, or someone from the team. I'm guessing this came from New York. But am curious to see if there's been any official declaration yet.

Overall I came away from this game thinking the Steelers are a dangerous team going forward. Of course this is assuming Ben clears the concussion protocol and plays next week.According to this report (below), Ben Self-reported and took himself out of the game. Good call.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000590938/article/big-ben-exits-loss-to-undergo-concussion-protocol

the team later announced Big Ben (http://www.nfl.com/player/benroethlisberger/2506109/profile) self-reported his symptoms

Dude (#72) that hit him should get a $25,000 FINE IMHO. Hits to the head like he did are totally avoidable. Hits to the head like that are extremely dangerous for any player.

Craic
11-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Dude (#72) that hit him should get a $25,000 FINE IMHO. Hits to the head like he did are totally avoidable. Hits to the head like that are extremely dangerous for any player.

Actually, that one wasn't so avoidable, as he was coming in clean. His teammate got Ben from the other side and Ben turned and crouched, causing the head-to-head. I don't think he should be fined for it for that reason, but, the league seems to fine for almost every head-to-head, so he'll probably get something. You're right, though, they are extremely dangerous no matter what.
-----------------------

Zu -

Didn't quite come away with the same thoughts. I didn't see the defense making this team dangerous, and I didn't see the offensive explosion and scoring at will that would make me afraid of them if I was an opponent. What I did see, however, and maybe this is what you're referring to: there were hints in virtually every element of the game that this team, if they put it all together, can be unstoppable. I'm just not sure we're going to see it.

SteelMayhem72
11-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Actually, that one wasn't so avoidable, as he was coming in clean. His teammate got Ben from the other side and Ben turned and crouched, causing the head-to-head. I don't think he should be fined for it for that reason, but, the league seems to fine for almost every head-to-head, so he'll probably get something. You're right, though, they are extremely dangerous no matter what.
-----------------------

Zu -

Didn't quite come away with the same thoughts. I didn't see the defense making this team dangerous, and I didn't see the offensive explosion and scoring at will that would make me afraid of them if I was an opponent. What I did see, however, and maybe this is what you're referring to: there were hints in virtually every element of the game that this team, if they put it all together, can be unstoppable. I'm just not sure we're going to see it.
All three phases of our team can never get it together for just one game

zulater
11-30-2015, 08:15 AM
I changed the name of the thread because this is bad, very bad. That Ben took himself out of the game tells me there's little chance he plays against the Colts. If we lose that game that means we have to win out to have any chance at a playoff berth.This with games against the Broncos and Bengals, two of the top teams in the league. Also you can bet the Ravens and Browns road games wont be easy.

Getting back to Ben when I saw the replay of the personal foul my first thought was "oh shit", he took a solid shot right in the head. So I wouldn;t have been shocked if the league spotter hadn't pulled him on the spot. But the reason I don't think that happened is because if memory serves me correct not only did Ben get up without hesitation, by the time the replay was seen they cut right to the LOS where Ben was already taking the snap. So by the time a spotter could have reacted not only had Ben shown no visible signs of wooziness, he also went ahead and executed a play without showing any problems.

But now it gets tricky. We ran about a half dozen more plays where Ben looked pretty much like himself. But on the second and goal play it looked to me that he overthrew a wide open Martavis Bryant. So I went back and noticed after that that all Ben's prior completions were short passes. I think when he tried to go over the top a couple times his passes proved erratic. Then the 3rd down run to the 3 where he took the hit probably was the clincher.

Anyway since Ben is the one who took himself out ( at the time I thought the call came from New York to get him out) that means he suffered actual symptoms. Given Ben's history with concussions again I think he has zero chance to play next week. (assuming that he in fact took himself out) To wit who can forget Ben's rift with Hines Ward when he missed a Raven's game due to Ben's self reported post concussion syptoms through the week leading up to the game? Then let's remember when he got knocked out cold against the Falcons, played the following week against the Raiders, but obviously shouldn't have. ( he threw 3 picks and looked nothing like himself that day) So as essential as this game is, Ben is no dummy when it comes to his future health. It's really hard to see him playing next week.

So can Landry Jones beat the Colts? I wont say no, but it's not easy to be optimistic.

\

NCSteeler
11-30-2015, 08:35 AM
I think a mature married Ben with children is much more thoughtful of his long term mental health. I don't think he will miss this week , I think he was being cautious

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2015, 12:15 PM
It's time for football to re-design their helmets. The purpose of the helmet is to protect the head, not to be used as a weapon. The NFL has completely missed the boat when trying to prevent head injuries. Get rid of the hard plastic helmet and replace it with something softer and the head injuries will go way down.

Born2Steel
11-30-2015, 12:23 PM
-----------------------

Zu -

According to how I understand the rule, avoidable isn't part of the equation. It's a black or white call. That hit on BB was a fineable hit and he probably will get one. The flag was thrown and roughing was called. The hit was crown of helmet to facemask. Pretty simple , IMO.

B&GFever
11-30-2015, 12:27 PM
It's time for football to re-design their helmets. The purpose of the helmet is to protect the head, not to be used as a weapon. The NFL has completely missed the boat when trying to prevent head injuries. Get rid of the hard plastic helmet and replace it with something softer and the head injuries will go way down.

water proof coated NERF helmets 4 inches thick ( 3 inch exterior , 1 inch interior ) should do the trick with a thin plastic center that holds the chin strap etc

sure they will be a bit ugly but they will protect the players and at the same time will not be weaponizing them

katmandu
11-30-2015, 03:01 PM
It's time for football to re-design their helmets. The purpose of the helmet is to protect the head, not to be used as a weapon. The NFL has completely missed the boat when trying to prevent head injuries. Get rid of the hard plastic helmet and replace it with something softer and the head injuries will go way down.I've seen other suggest this to decrease concussions. NO helmet can stop the brain from richocing off the INSIDE of a humans skull. This is the major cause of concussions.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12405447_f520.jpg

Also, soft padding on the outside of helmets will cause BROKEN NECKS !!!! You do NOT want any surface that creates FRICTION when hitting one's head. This is the main reason for hard plastic shells so the contact can quickly be DEFLECTED away. Same reason motorcyle helmets are this same design.

Could you going down the road and wiping out on a motorcycle while wearing a soft helmut ? Hitting your head on the concrete while sliding down the road....then catches enough friction and SNAP, POP goes your neck and your head breaks off your body and goes rolling down the road ! A plastic hard shelled helmet would slide on the concrete preventing a broken neck.

- - - Updated - - -

I think a mature married Ben with children is much more thoughtful of his long term mental health. I don't think he will miss this week , I think he was being cautiousVery true. He no longer is a stupid young man making stupid irrational decisions.

BTW, his concussion symptoms have subsided and he should be cleared to play next week.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-injury-update-roethlisberger-concussion-week-12-seahawks/

zulater
11-30-2015, 06:08 PM
You know I'm starting to think this just wasn't meant to be our year. Don't get me wrong I'm not throwing in the towel on this year. I still think this team can make the playoffs. And if in, who knows? But deep down inside I think it's all setting up for 16. I mean this season between suspensions and injuries we never got anything close to our full offense on the field for so much as one play. ( I count Pouncey into this equation)

But still some good things happened. Things that could bode well for the future. Matarvis had a little bit of sophomore slump this year, but you can still see the potential for superstar is there. He's still learning, but he's already a helluva weapon. We developed quality o-line depth due to necessity. AV could possibly be the LT of the future. He keeps getting better. You figure the learning curve could be high with him. Maybe Beachum comes back on a team friendly contract? I hope he's next year's LG. LeVeon, his ACL was spared. He should be back at full strength for week one. So maybe next year we hit the ground running (and passing lol) week one and keep it rolling through the season.Then let's not forget DeAngelo Williams. What a find he was. I hope nextyear Haley can do a better job involving Williams when LeVeon is back in full force. Tomlin should take Todd aside and show him how Arians incorporated Mewelde Moore into the offense back a few years ago. Give DW 8-15 touches a game in one form or other.It will keep him involved and keep 26 healthy and strong.

Obviously between injuries and suspensions the offense never fully hit it's stride this year. But it was still pretty damn good, dare I say Championship caliber? But regardless as we suspected and has been confirmed no matter how good the offense could have been this year, the defense was never going to be close to Championship caliber.This year was never going to be the year as a result, so who knows maybe this years run of bad luck isn't the worst thing ever? .

That said we found some good things on that side of the ball. The front 7 is young and energetic and is improving. We can work with them. Mike Mitchell showed us this year why the Steelers signed him. So we got one guy back there to build upon. But that's it. Do you bring back Willie Gay? Doubt it. So it's pretty clear this years offseason has to be devoted to actually addressing the secondary and filling it in with real NFL players! That and health and luck are all that stand between the Steelers being the best team in the NFL in 16!

SteelMayhem72
11-30-2015, 06:55 PM
You know I'm starting to think this just wasn't meant to be our year. Don't get me wrong I'm not throwing in the towel on this year. I still think this team can make the playoffs. And if in, who knows? But deep down inside I think it's all setting up for 16. I mean this season between suspensions and injuries we never got anything close to our full offense on the field for so much as one play. ( I count Pouncey into this equation)

But still some good things happened. Things that could bode well for the future. Matarvis had a little bit of sophomore slump this year, but you can still see the potential for superstar is there. He's still learning, but he's already a helluva weapon. We developed quality o-line depth due to necessity. AV could possibly be the LT of the future. He keeps getting better. You figure the learning curve could be high with him. Maybe Beachum comes back on a team friendly contract? I hope he's next year's LG. LeVeon, his ACL was spared. He should be back at full strength for week one. So maybe next year we hit the ground running (and passing lol) week one and keep it rolling through the season.Then let's not forget DeAngelo Williams. What a find he was. I hope nextyear Haley can do a better job involving Williams when LeVeon is back in full force. Tomlin should take Todd aside and show him how Arians incorporated Mewelde Moore into the offense back a few years ago. Give DW 8-15 touches a game in one form or other.It will keep him involved and keep 26 healthy and strong.

Obviously between injuries and suspensions the offense never fully hit it's stride this year. But it was still pretty damn good, dare I say Championship caliber? But regardless as we suspected and has been confirmed no matter how good the offense could have been this year, the defense was never going to be close to Championship caliber.This year was never going to be the year as a result, so who knows maybe this years run of bad luck isn't the worst thing ever? .

That said we found some good things on that side of the ball. The front 7 is young and energetic and is improving. We can work with them. Mike Mitchell showed us this year why the Steelers signed him. So we got one guy back there to build upon. But that's it. Do you bring back Willie Gay? Doubt it. So it's pretty clear this years offseason has to be devoted to actually addressing the secondary and filling it in with real NFL players! That and health and luck are all that stand between the Steelers being the best team in the NFL in 16!
Im with ya brother...my hopes i had earlier in the season have subsided. Im not so sure ben will even be playing this week but we will have to wait till later in the week to find out

Born2Steel
11-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Really? Guys there are only 8 teams in the AFC that are above .500. We are one of them. We got this. 10 wins probably gets us in.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 07:46 PM
The offseason has to consist of a whole revamping of the secondary through free agency. They can't depend on any player on this team to fill those positions. Other than Mitchell, every one of them should be let go including Grant and anyone else you might think can "contribute." They need SOLID starters...not the bullshit "maybes" that have been here time after time. They need to trade for a starter, sign free agents...they need to do something other than field the trash that they've put out there in 2015.

http://i.imgur.com/wR2N6Gk.png

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2015, 08:12 PM
I've seen other suggest this to decrease concussions. NO helmet can stop the brain from richocing off the INSIDE of a humans skull. This is the major cause of concussions.

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12405447_f520.jpg

Also, soft padding on the outside of helmets will cause BROKEN NECKS !!!! You do NOT want any surface that creates FRICTION when hitting one's head. This is the main reason for hard plastic shells so the contact can quickly be DEFLECTED away. Same reason motorcyle helmets are this same design.

Could you going down the road and wiping out on a motorcycle while wearing a soft helmut ? Hitting your head on the concrete while sliding down the road....then catches enough friction and SNAP, POP goes your neck and your head breaks off your body and goes rolling down the road ! A plastic hard shelled helmet would slide on the concrete preventing a broken neck.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true. He no longer is a stupid young man making stupid irrational decisions.

BTW, his concussion symptoms have subsided and he should be cleared to play next week.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-injury-update-roethlisberger-concussion-week-12-seahawks/

They can still put a plastic layer on the outside of the cushion so that the helmets slide off of each other without the thick plastic that's currently being used. We have the technology to make much safer helmets, they just won't get the same big hits. If you don't get the same big hits, the players will stop leading with their helmets, which protects both the hitter and the hittee.

Motorcycle helmets are something completely different from football helmets. You can't possibly try to compare the two. You don't go hit someone with your motorcycle helmet.

Football players played for decades with nothing more than leather on their heads with far fewer concussions than in today's game. Rugby players don't even wear helmets and they get fewer concussions.

The current helmet is being used as a weapon, not as protection.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 09:20 PM
http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/352/118/1118352.jpg

katmandu
11-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Really? Guys there are only 8 teams in the AFC that are above .500. We are one of them. We got this. 10 wins probably gets us in.Steelers went 10-6 and won the Super Bowl 7 years ago.

katmandu
11-30-2015, 09:34 PM
http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/352/118/1118352.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q1RPKZPTL._SY300_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

http://stromlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/guardian-cap.jpeg

Shoes
11-30-2015, 09:51 PM
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z211/vestkap/eyeballs_zpsrzml48i5.jpg (http://s190.photobucket.com/user/vestkap/media/eyeballs_zpsrzml48i5.jpg.html)