PDA

View Full Version : Mike Vick Story Prompts a Reaction

hawaiiansteeler
11-26-2015, 12:23 PM
Vick Story Prompts a Reaction

By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Good morning,

The story I wrote about Michael Vick in Tuesday’s Post-Gazette has struck a nerve. If you have not read it, here it is:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/24/steele-7/stories/201511240050

In the story, I quote Vick as saying he’d like to play one more year. Nowhere in the story did I ever suggest he should play one more year, that the Steelers should bring him back nor that I believe he played well this season. I let Vick do the talking.

However, as you can see by these emails I received (others were worded too strongly or too ignorantly to print) some readers did not comprehend the story as I wrote it:

--- YOU: I think it is disgraceful that you think Vick should play with the Steelers another year! Not only is he a washed up football player he is a horrible human! And no he has NOT served his time! I suppose you are as uncompassionate as he is! I have been a Steelers fan all my life and I have not watched a game since they signed that POS! The Steelers sold out and for what.... A washed up piece of garbage! Peace out!

ED: Yes, but did you donate your Terrible Towel to a worthy cause?

--- YOU: Ed is it true you think Vick can play one more year with the Steelers? If this is true, seriously, quit drinking the Rooney Kool-Aid. His dog history aside he is washed up and needs to move on.

ED: I prefer cranberry juice, by the way.

--- YOU: I respectfully disagree with you Ed on signing Michael Vick for another year with the Steelers. He is one that gives football a bad name he's a vicious person and should not be entitled to play pro football. You should read his federal indictment, I couldn't even get past the first paragraph. I'm sorry I believe in forgiveness but he went way beyond he tortured these dogs in the third year of his multimillion dollar contract he's no good ! P.s. He stunk with the Eagles and he stinks with the Steelers ! Yuk.

--- YOU: I abhor your devotion to a man who tortured animals.

--- ED: Vick plays for the Steelers, and I cover them – the good, the bad, the ugly. And I save my devotion for family and friends.

--- YOU: I cannot imagine why you think the Steelers should keep Michael Vick for one more minute, let alone another year, when he is costing the team its image and much of its fan base.

ED: Judging by attendance at home and away and the TV ratings, the fan base hasn’t gone anywhere, never mind “much” of it.

--- YOU: You really are a poor excuse for a journalist! Shame on you for supporting an evil, unremorseful monster named Mikey Vick!!!

ED: My job is not to ignore a certain segment of the Steelers roster just because you don’t agree with whom they have on it.

--- YOU: While Vick is a monster, you're pathetic. It's evident you can't be trusted to tell the truth. Leave Pittsburgh and take Vick and Tomlin with you! We don't want your kind here.

ED: And what is that kind?

--- YOU: I am not sure why you feel the need to be a voice for the propaganda machine- but please stop. Can you just report the facts and not be on the payroll for the Vick PR team?

ED: And those facts would be, what? That he does not play for the Steelers? That they did not win two of the three games he started? That he has not slipped from backup to No. 3? That he is not imitating Russell Wilson in practice this week? What?

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/11/25/Vick-Story-Prompts-a-Reaction/stories/201511250001

Craic
11-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Yep,

Ignorance runs rampant. I am constantly amazed at the lack of reading comprehension. What's more, I'm constantly saddened that the same people love to show their ignorance by writing scathing posts decrying Vick for being a horrible man and with no compassion, while showing nothing but ugliness and a lack of compassion themselves.

Hawkman
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Yep,

Ignorance runs rampant. I am constantly amazed at the lack of reading comprehension. What's more, I'm constantly saddened that the same people love to show their ignorance by writing scathing posts decrying Vick for being a horrible man and with no compassion, while showing nothing but ugliness and a lack of compassion themselves.

Well spoken, well said.

fansince'76
11-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Yep,

http://photo4.ask.fm/710/937/557/1650003016-1rkgf18-90gq45hpt1j685p/original/avatar.jpg

:chuckle:

86WARD
11-26-2015, 02:58 PM
People just read the headlines and then draw a conclusion. Every person does it. If you're going to make harsh comments, you should probably read the whole story and not just the title.

zulater
11-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Yep,

Just because you forgive him doesn't mean everyone has to. Not all people view animals the same. Some people hold animals in virtually the same regard most have for small children. While I'm not in that category, I have an aunt who's a Steeler fan who happens to run a no kill animal shelter for abandoned animals and she loathes Vick and always will. So she's a bad person?

ETL
11-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Vick Story Prompts a Reaction

By Ed Bouchette Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

... However, as you can see by these emails I received ... some readers did not comprehend the story ...

This happens a lot - especially on football message boards.

Craic
11-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Just because you forgive him doesn't mean everyone has to. Not all people view animals the same. Some people hold animals in virtually the same regard most have for small children. While I'm not in that category, I have an aunt who's a Steeler fan who happens to run a no kill animal shelter for abandoned animals and she loathes Vick and always will. So she's a bad person?

Was she one of the people who misread the article and then wrote in that Vick was a bad person because he showed no compassion, all the while showing no compassion? If so, then yes, she's a bad person in this particular situation. If not, then no, she wasn't someone I was writing about.

Hawkman
11-26-2015, 09:27 PM

Wow Zu! I'm surprised. You just kind of proved his point. Craic never said a word about forgiving Vick.

Godfather
11-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Wow Zu! I'm surprised. You just kind of proved his point. Craic never said a word about forgiving Vick.

Thing about forgiving Vick is that there's really nothing for us to forgive. He owes no debt to any of us. He owes a debt to society for breaking the law (which has been paid), a debt to the dogs he tortured and killed (which cannot be repaid), and a debt to God (which is between him and God).

As far as rooting for him, that's a privilege, not a right, and each of us has to decide for ourselves whether we can do that.

zulater
11-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Thing about forgiving Vick is that there's really nothing for us to forgive. He owes no debt to any of us. He owes a debt to society for breaking the law (which has been paid), a debt to the dogs he tortured and killed (which cannot be repaid), and a debt to God (which is between him and God).

As far as rooting for him, that's a privilege, not a right, and each of us has to decide for ourselves whether we can do that.

I can root for him as a Steeler. And yes he has the right to make a living. But still if you think about what he actually did, it's really hard not to be disgusted. Google some of the acts he personally did to these animals. He personally slammed a dog to death. He ordered the electrocution, the drowning, the shooting the starving of animals.

Anyone who can participate in the torture of an animal is depraved in my estimation. And I'm not sure depravity ever gets better? I think it just learns to hide itself better when the spotlight is on it. Similar to a pedophile those who over a long period of time ordered and participated in the systematic torture of a living being obviously enjoyed what they were doing. That stain never comes completely out. Normal human beings don't have to be caught doing this sort of act to not do it. Normal human beings don;t need laws against this sort of thing not to do it. Normal human beings when confronted with such acts are horrified, outraged, and offended. Saying "was that wrong? Gee I never realized that." is not a defense. Culture could possibly explain going to a dog fight, maybe even betting on it. But once you go behind Oz's curtain, see what's there and not only continue to associate with it, but then take it to the next level and become a central participant then you're a sick bastard.

Not forgiving Vick or wanting him associated with something dear to you doesn't make you intolerant, or unreasonable. Truthfully when I think about what he actually did I sometimes question my own humanity for not taking a stronger stance against him and temporarily giving the Steelers a break. (If I went to a church who accepted a convicted pedophile as a member I would probably have a problem with that too. )

But in the end I swallow hard and accept him as a member of the team. But that's me, and I guess in the end I realize what I like about the Steelers including the majority of the roster outweighs my distaste of Vick's past.that said I sure as fuck am not going to take issue with someone who has the moral fortitude to give up the Steelers because of Vick or campaign for his removal. You can question their integrity or compassion if you want, but I'll praise their conviction and rationale.

tube517
11-27-2015, 02:44 PM
The whole point of Douchette's second article (posted in the OP) is not about Vick's past or those who forgave or have not forgiven him.

Douchette's issue is with the readers who think Douchette himself was writing or stating that Vick should be given a chance as a backup next year. Douchette never said any of that. He just reported what Vick himself was wishing and saying, which is Douchette's job. The readers took issue with Douchette. Whether you like Douchette or not (I don't particularly like his articles, he is a smartass in chats, too), he was just reporting about Vick wanting to come back as a backup QB. None of the original article said that Douchette wanted or thinks he should come back to the Steelers.

And, I'm not defending Vick or even wanting Vick to come back next year. I didn't even want him this year.

TeeTee
11-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Yes, many have twisted the assertions Ed made, but to be fair, Ed does have a long history of carrying the Rooneys' water, as opposed to being objective. If Ed truly took an objective angel in his articles, he'd be tossed off the Rooney bandwagon and lose his job, perks, etc. Any regular writer who covers the Steelers knows what boundaries they need to adhere to. If not, they won't be allowed into press conferences, etc. So, I can understand why some fans assume the piece is a subjective view to help sell the Rooneys decision to bring Vick on board. I totally can understand why they feel that way.

Mojouw
11-27-2015, 07:41 PM
What is any of that based on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
11-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, many have twisted the assertions Ed made, but to be fair, Ed does have a long history of carrying the Rooneys' water, as opposed to being objective. If Ed truly took an objective angel in his articles, he'd be tossed off the Rooney bandwagon and lose his job, perks, etc. Any regular writer who covers the Steelers knows what boundaries they need to adhere to. If not, they won't be allowed into press conferences, etc. So, I can understand why some fans assume the piece is a subjective view to help sell the Rooneys decision to bring Vick on board. I totally can understand why they feel that way.

Evidence of that? I think if a writer got shut out of a press conference for asking the difficult questions, there'd be a story about it...no?

Count Steeler
11-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Ed is an ANGEL? Perhaps you meant angle?

Hawkman
11-27-2015, 09:05 PM

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

zulater
11-27-2015, 09:36 PM
The whole point of Douchette's second article (posted in the OP) is not about Vick's past or those who forgave or have not forgiven him.

Douchette's issue is with the readers who think Douchette himself was writing or stating that Vick should be given a chance as a backup next year. Douchette never said any of that. He just reported what Vick himself was wishing and saying, which is Douchette's job. The readers took issue with Douchette. Whether you like Douchette or not (I don't particularly like his articles, he is a smartass in chats, too), he was just reporting about Vick wanting to come back as a backup QB. None of the original article said that Douchette wanted or thinks he should come back to the Steelers.

And, I'm not defending Vick or even wanting Vick to come back next year. I didn't even want him this year.

I know what Douchette's point was. I think he whines too much. So what if he got a little backlash? I know he didn't express a point either way regarding Vick. But when you push a hot button topic you're going to get that sort of response from some. Put on your big boy pants, take it for what it's worth and move on. By and large I think people just used Bouchette's column's comment section for a platform to express their beliefs on Vick.

TeeTee
11-27-2015, 11:54 PM

Thank God the typo cops got here. :yay3:

Craic
11-28-2015, 12:12 AM
I can root for him as a Steeler. And yes he has the right to make a living. But still if you think about what he actually did, it's really hard not to be disgusted. Google some of the acts he personally did to these animals. He personally slammed a dog to death. He ordered the electrocution, the drowning, the shooting the starving of animals.

Anyone who can participate in the torture of an animal is depraved in my estimation. And I'm not sure depravity ever gets better? I think it just learns to hide itself better when the spotlight is on it. Similar to a pedophile those who over a long period of time ordered and participated in the systematic torture of a living being obviously enjoyed what they were doing. That stain never comes completely out. Normal human beings don't have to be caught doing this sort of act to not do it. Normal human beings don;t need laws against this sort of thing not to do it. Normal human beings when confronted with such acts are horrified, outraged, and offended. Saying "was that wrong? Gee I never realized that." is not a defense. Culture could possibly explain going to a dog fight, maybe even betting on it. But once you go behind Oz's curtain, see what's there and not only continue to associate with it, but then take it to the next level and become a central participant then you're a sick bastard.

Not forgiving Vick or wanting him associated with something dear to you doesn't make you intolerant, or unreasonable. Truthfully when I think about what he actually did I sometimes question my own humanity for not taking a stronger stance against him and temporarily giving the Steelers a break. (If I went to a church who accepted a convicted pedophile as a member I would probably have a problem with that too. )

But in the end I swallow hard and accept him as a member of the team. But that's me, and I guess in the end I realize what I like about the Steelers including the majority of the roster outweighs my distaste of Vick's past.that said I sure as fuck am not going to take issue with someone who has the moral fortitude to give up the Steelers because of Vick or campaign for his removal. You can question their integrity or compassion if you want, but I'll praise their conviction and rationale.

I may disagree with you at certain points here (and I do), but just wanted to say that is a well-thought-out, well-reasoned response. Chest Bump

smokin3000gt
11-28-2015, 01:41 AM

but it's ok when you do it..

Got it.

Count Steeler
11-28-2015, 05:55 AM

You can dish it out but you can't take it? Shocking. Color (colour for the UK and Canadian readers) me surprised.

Craic
11-28-2015, 11:54 AM
You can dish it out but you can't take it? Shocking. Color (colour for the UK and Canadian readers) me surprised.

:buttkick:

:chuckle: