PDA

View Full Version : Dream team of modern era Steelers

TeeTee
11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
For our purposes here, I will define "modern era" as being from the '70's or more recent. (Most of us aren't old enough to remember anything from the NFL in the 60's.)

I will start it off with the best dream team of LBs, assuming all players were in their primes, for discussion purposes here.

I will also assume we are talking about a 3-4 D (even though the 70's Steelers were running a 4-3 for much of that run).

Even though he doesn't get the recognition of many LBs from the Steelers, I absolutely have to start by putting Harrison on this list. In his prime, there simply was no better LB in the history of the team.

He hits harder than anyone else, he rushes the passer better than anyone else, and he his the biggest penchant for the big play, more than anyone (see 100 yard TD on a pick in the Super Bowl. It gets no bigger than that.)

So Harrison is the one OLB. The other is Greg Lloyd. There have been some OLBs who may be better pass rushers, but no one was as complete as Lloyd. I can't imagine a team with #92 and #95 at OLB. The thought is insane.

On the inside I will go old school with Jack Lambert. His intensity, hitting ability and range was koo koo. He could have played in any era.

Last spot I will give to Kirkland, assuming we are talking about the player before he ate himself out of the league. His combination of size and speed is still unheard of.

Harrison..............Lambert...Kirkland.........L loyd.

It doesn't get any more bad assed than that.

Honorable mentions: Greene, Ham, Porter, Brown, Merriweather.

teegre
11-24-2015, 06:37 PM
DE Doyle Brunson
DT Tom Dwan
DT Phil Hellmuth
DE Bret Maverick

OLB Colin Baden
ILB Leonardo Del Vecchio
OLB Greg Arnette

CB Sean Connery
SS George Lazenby
FS Daniel Craig
CB Pierce Brosnan

tube517
11-24-2015, 06:58 PM
DE Doyle Brunson
DT Tom Dwan
DT Phil Hellmuth
DE Bret Maverick

OLB Colin Baden
ILB Leonardo Del Vecchio
OLB Greg Arnette

CB Sean Connery
SS George Lazenby
FS Daniel Craig
CB Pierce Brosnan

No love for Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton????:car::director::plane::cool:

teegre
11-24-2015, 06:59 PM
No love for Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton????:car::director::plane::cool:

Roger Moore was the king of campy. I thought about putting him in there... just for the opening to Octopussy alone.

Timothy Dalton though... :puke:

tube517
11-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Roger Moore was the king of campy. I thought about putting him in there... just for the opening to Octopussy alone.

Timothy Dalton though... :puke:

Agreed. Dalton was better in Flash Gordon. :chuckle:

I always liked Connery and never liked Moore.

teegre
11-24-2015, 07:05 PM
Agreed. Dalton was better in Flash Gordon. :chuckle:

A Prince Barin reference.

Winner!!!

86WARD
11-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Depends on what you consider the modern era. I think most consider it the Super Bowl era? I think it's different though. By he game has changed so much since the 70s and 80s that I feel like it's a different "era". Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that?

ALLD
11-25-2015, 03:42 PM
Modern era is post-1990.

86WARD
11-25-2015, 04:33 PM
Modern era is post-1990.

I kinda agree with that more than I do "Super Bowl Era" = "modern era".