PDA

View Full Version : Best individual game in Steeler history.Nominations needed.

zulater
11-20-2015, 03:35 PM
The last two games by Antonio Brown brought this subject to my mind. That and it's a bye week and I wanted something besides another Boykin thread to occupy my SU posting time. :lol:

Anyway where I want to go with this thread is I want nominations of the most dominant Steeler individual performances for a single game from your perspective. Offense, defense, special teams. Old school, modern, somewhere in between, wherever you want to take it. I give this thread over to the board. Maybe at some point we can make a list and vote? Ok that's kind of corny, :peep: but regardless let's kick this thing off.

Since I'm old I'm going old school. The most dominant game I ever saw by a Steeler was a 1972 regular season game by Joe Greene against the then Houston Oilers.

In a Dec. 10, 1972, game against the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome, the Steelers clinched their first division title under Chuck Noll because of the dominance, greatness and willpower of Greene, the cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense that would dominate the 1970s.

In a game in which the Steelers were ravaged by the flu and injuries, including the loss of quarterback Terry Bradshaw, Greene single-handedly shut down the Oilers with a club-record five sacks, a blocked field goal, a forced fumble and a recovered fumble in a 9-3 victory.

"That performance was truly outstanding," said former linebacker Andy Russell, one of the few healthy players in that game. "Joe Greene, at any time, could rise to a level that was incomprehensible to all of us."

Greene put on one of the greatest one-man shows against the Oilers, who were 1-11 and trying to prevent the Steelers from winning the first of their seven division titles in the '70s.

Defensive end L.C. Greenwood and guard Sam Davis did not play and tackles Jon Kolb and Gerry Mullins had the flu. Bradshaw, wide receiver Ron Shanklin, guard Bruce Van Dyke, guard Jim Clack and defensive end Craig Hanneman, Greenwood's backup -- were injured in the game and did not return.

Defensive end Dwight White and defensive tackle Steve Furness were injured during the game, but they kept playing because the Steelers were running out of bodies. It was so bad tight end Larry Brown, who would eventually grow into an offensive tackle, had to play flanker against the Oilers.

"We needed the game to keep us in the race for the division championship," Greene said the other day. "We were definitely in dire straits because we lost Bradshaw and some of our offensive lineman. And we were having a terrible time of trying to score."

But there was Greene, a No. 1 draft choice in 1969, making sure the Oilers didn't score.

After sacking quarterback Dan Pastorini twice in the second quarter, Greene blocked a 25-yard field-goal attempt by kicker Skip Butler at the end of the first half to keep the score tied, 3-3.

After kicker Roy Gerela gave the Steelers a 6-3 lead with a 39-yard field goal in the third quarter, Greene tackled running back Fred Willis for a 12-yard loss, causing a fumble. Greene recovered at Houston's 13, leading to Gerela's third field goal.

"What I remember is Joe came in the huddle and said, 'I'm taking the ball away from them on this play,' " Russell said. "No one ever said anything like that in a huddle. Then, there's a bang and a crash, and he's holding the ball. That's why I always said he was the player of the decade."

The performance was so dominating it was almost as if Greene picked up his injured, ailing teammates in his arms and carried them to victory

"We were all aware of the defensive urgency," Greene said. "You have the state of mind to do whatever you can to win the game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2007/11/10/In-the-chronicle-of-Steelers-defenders-Greene-s-performance-vs-Oilers-one-for-ages/stories/200711100202

To save keystrokes I copy and pasted a related article, but I do remember this game very well. I was just 12 at the time and I was living in Ocala Florida at the time, so I didn't get to see many Steeler games on tv. But because of Franco the Steeler became relevant that year, and I'm guessing either the Dolphins played on Monday night that week or were facing an NFC visiting team. ( living in Florida that was always the game televised on NBC the AFC's network of the era) But for whatever reason the game was on in Florida. And as the story states the Steelers playoff hopes very much stll up in the air at the time. Anyway Joe Greene just dominated that game like he was a man playing against school children. I've never seen a defensive player take a game over like Joe did that day, before or since. Every play he would beat a double team and be waiting for Pastorini to hand off or drop back. I'll bet Dan still has nightmares about that game. :heh:

OK now I want to see some good nominations by you guys.

And even though I'm not a moderator here I suggest a month ban for the first person who nominates Charlie Batch's all time QBR record setting game against the Bucs. :chuckle:

The threads yours.....

polamalubeast
11-20-2015, 03:41 PM
James Harrison and Roethlisberger in 2007 in MNF against the Ravens,Brown against the Raiders this year and Roethlisberger against the Colts last year!

zulater
11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
James Harrison and Roethlisberger in 2007 in MNF against the Ravens,Brown against the Raiders this year and Roethlisberger against the Colts last year!

All good choices. The game by Ben against the Colts last year has to be in the discussion for the best game ever by a qb in league history.

For a board challenge someone come up with the best game by a Steeler qb not named Ben.

polamalubeast
11-20-2015, 03:54 PM

For a board challenge someone come up with the best game by a Steeler qb not named Ben.

In recent history....Maybe Tommy Maddox against the Falcons in 2002.

zulater
11-20-2015, 04:11 PM
In recent history....Maybe Tommy Maddox against the Falcons in 2002.

Good one. Maddox threw for over 400 yards, but the most poignant memory I have of that game is Plaxico Burress get tackled at the goal line on the last play of OT and the game going in the books as a tie. :frusty:

polamalubeast
11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Good one. Maddox threw for over 400 yards, but the most poignant memory I have of that game is Plaxico Burress get tackled at the goal line on the last play of OT and the game going in the books as a tie. :frusty:

And Todd Peterson missed a FG in the overtime.

86WARD
11-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Trying to think out of the box a little bit for this one...Lambert's performance in Super Bowl XIV was pretty impressive.

First thing that came to mind was Roethlisberger and his 500+ games.

zulater
11-20-2015, 05:32 PM
Trying to think out of the box a little bit for this one...Lambert's performance in Super Bowl XIV was pretty impressive.

I always thought Lambert should have been MVP for SB XIV. And if not him Stallworth. Lambert's interception sealed that win. His presence through the entire game was huge.

zulater
11-20-2015, 05:56 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014120700/2014/REG14/steelers@bengals#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap30 00000438665&tab=recap

LeVeon Bell's week 14 game against the Bengals last season is my choice for the best ever game by a Steelers running back.

ALLD
11-20-2015, 06:01 PM
BB;s 500+ games last season. James Harrison also single handedly dismantling the Cleveland Browns.

Butch
11-20-2015, 06:45 PM

This was the celebration of the Steelers 75th anniversary game and I had it taped, so I watched it many times. One of the things I thought was really cool maybe even a sign of what was to come was when they showed the Steelers leaving the locker room they focused on James Harrison. James was a one man wrecking crew, (maybe not quite the performance Joe had in '72 but still worth mentioning). Interception, fumbles and the play of the game (for me anyway) came on a punt. After a penalty on us we have to re-punt the ball. You hear the announcer say all Ed has to do is round the corner and he is home free. Suddenly and with great Viciousness Ed is hit, the ball pops way up in the air, Ed is parallel with the ground and James is taking him to the ground, and Troy snatches the ball out of the air as the air fades from any hopes the ravens had to get a spark in this game.

Yes Ben threw 5 TD's in the 1/2 and was very good, scrambling away from a would be tackler to throw one TD, but to me what won us that game was James Harrison and his one man wrecking crew on his mission to single handedly dismantle the ravens and handing Steeler Nation a night to be remembered. If I ever forget this game please shoot me it is my favorite non superbowl game of all time.

This one gets my vote, but I was a BIG James fan long before this performance.

Remember him jumping over LT (Tomlinson) when he intercepted a ball against San Diego?

Butch
11-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Here are some highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zK3zVurEWA

B&GFever
11-20-2015, 08:02 PM
how about a nomination for a team performance ....

Tulane Stadium
New Orleans, Louisiana
January 12, 1975
Attendance: 80,997

AFC champion Pittsburgh, in its initial Super Bowl appearance, and NFC champion Minnesota, making a third bid for its first Super Bowl title, struggled through a first half in which the only score was produced by the Steelers' defense when Dwight White downed Vikings' quarterback Fran Tarkenton in the end zone for a safety 7:49 into the second period.
The Steelers forced another break and took advantage on the second-half kickoff when Minnesota's Bill Brown fumbled and Marv Kellum recovered for Pittsburgh on the Vikings' 30.
After Rocky Bleier failed to gain on first down, Franco Harris carried three consecutive times for 24 yards, a loss of three, and a 9-yard touchdown and a 9-0 lead.
Though its offense was completely stymied by Pittsburgh's defense, Minnesota managed to move into a threatening position after 4:27 of the final period when Matt Blair blocked Bobby Walden's punt and Terry Brown recovered the ball in the end zone for a touchdown.
Fred Cox's kick failed and the Steelers led 9-6. Pittsburgh wasted no time putting the victory away.
The Steelers took the ensuing kickoff and marched 66 yards in 11 plays, climaxed by Terry Bradshaw's 4-yard scoring pass to Larry Brown with 3:31 left.
Pittsburgh's defense permitted Minnesota only 119 yards total offense, including a Super Bowl low of 17 rushing yards.

The Steelers, meanwhile, gained 333 yards, including Harris's record 158 yards on 34 carries

that Vikings Squad was jammed packed full of talent its not like they lucked into a SB birth http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/minnesota-vikings/roster/1974

Craic
11-21-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm wondering where Bettis's game against the Rams in 1996 falls. He had over a 100 yards in the first half alone. Cowher rested him in the second half, or his numbers would have looked like NFLMadden numbers.

Hawkman
11-21-2015, 08:28 AM
For me at RB, was the game that the Bus had against the Bears in the snow. I firmly believe, if he doesn't play the way he did, we don't go to the SB that year.

teegre
11-21-2015, 09:31 AM
My first thought was Kendrell Bell in the 2002 Browns playoff game. I don't know the specifics, but it was the best game I've seen by a Steelers defender.

My second thought was James Harrison on MNF in 2007. Obvious.

My third thought was Ryan Clark in the 2010 Ravens playoff game. He played SS, and Troy played FS... and, wow!!! what a game Ryan had. The Ravens were so confused to see Clark flying around making plays. It was amazing.

tube517
11-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Not sure where this would be on the list but in 1977, Franco had a great performance against the eventual Super Bowl champs, the Cryboys.

29 carries, 161 yards, 2 TD's. 61 yard TD run.

Bradshaw threw 12 passes (completed 7) the whole day.

Count Steeler
11-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Just because it is fresh, AB for 284 yards 2 games ago.

Mojouw
11-21-2015, 12:42 PM
It was only for half, but Troy against the Titans in the opener after the SB. Just dominated.

I'm sure there is a Bettis game or two - but it all blends together to him just crushing folks, even though the entire stadium knew he was getting the ball. In his prime it never mattered.

I seem to remember a Joey Porter game against Tampa. Don't remember the year. But he had a ton of sacks and pressures and was just whipping his man. I remember him just repeatedly signalling to the sideline - call my number again. I got this. Just demoralized an entire offensive line by himself.

tube517
11-21-2015, 12:56 PM
It was only for half, but Troy against the Titans in the opener after the SB. Just dominated.

I'm sure there is a Bettis game or two - but it all blends together to him just crushing folks, even though the entire stadium knew he was getting the ball. In his prime it never mattered.

I seem to remember a Joey Porter game against Tampa. Don't remember the year. But he had a ton of sacks and pressures and was just whipping his man. I remember him just repeatedly signalling to the sideline - call my number again. I got this. Just demoralized an entire offensive line by himself.

I think the Porter game was vs Oakland. 2002 Sunday Night game. We lost and that was the year Oakland's offense lit us up and most of the league that year. Peazy was on fire that game, though.

3 sacks, 11 tackles, 2 INT's.

teegre
11-21-2015, 01:58 PM

Kenyatta Walker

Porter abused Kenyatta Walker all game long. The Steelers had 10 sacks. After the game, Porter told reporters that they could have had 20 sacks, but they eased up (as not to embarrass anyone).

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Porter game was vs Oakland. 2002 Sunday Night game. We lost and that was the year Oakland's offense lit us up and most of the league that year. Peazy was on fire that game, though.

3 sacks, 11 tackles, 2 INT's.

That's the game where he lined up as the ILB in the nickel... and was deemed by MNF as the next "Derrick Thomas/Junior Seau" type of hybrid linebacker (plays everywhere).

And then... he got shot.

If if not for that wound, he would have been even greater. He was always great, but I think that he could have been all time.

TeeTee
11-21-2015, 02:01 PM

Didn't he have over 500 yards and 6 TDs last year one game? That is insane.

tube517
11-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Kenyatta Walker

Porter abused Kenyatta Walker all game long. The Steelers had 10 sacks. After the game, Porter told reporters that they could have had 20 sacks, but they eased up (as not to embarrass anyone).

- - - Updated - - -

That's the game where he lined up as the ILB in the nickel... and was deemed by MNF as the next "Derrick Thomas/Junior Seau" type of hybrid linebacker (plays everywhere).

And then... he got shot.

If if not for that wound, he would have been even greater. He was always great, but I think that he could have been all time.

Ah, ok. I can't remember that 10 sack game.

The Oakland game was on BSPN so I remember it. Gannon had 60+ attempts and 400+ yds.

86WARD
11-21-2015, 02:38 PM
For me at RB, was the game that the Bus had against the Bears in the snow. I firmly believe, if he doesn't play the way he did, we don't go to the SB that year.

That was a great effort. I agree...

steelreserve
11-22-2015, 12:04 AM
The best single-game individual effort was Cody Wallace jabbing Randy Starks in the balls.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/steelers_fins_wtf.gif

I know there were several times when Polamalu basically won a close game for us singlehandedly, most memorably the Ravens strip-sack. Although it's hard to pick one as being "the greatest;" you could just tell he was making a huge difference.

86WARD
11-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Barry Foster had a pretty nice effort in 1992 against the Colts rushing for around 170 and 2 TDs. I think he had over 200 total yards rushing and receiving that game.

zulater
11-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Merril Hoge's playoff game against the Broncos in Denver stands out in my mind as perhaps the best individual performance by a Steeler in a loss.

polamalubeast
11-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Willie Parker vs Browns and Saints in 2006.

Mojouw
11-22-2015, 11:29 AM
Merril Hoge's playoff game against the Broncos in Denver stands out in my mind as perhaps the best individual performance by a Steeler in a loss.

That was an amazing performance.

86WARD
11-22-2015, 11:33 AM

I'd vote for that one and I'd mention his game beofore that against the Oilers as one of the better individual performances out there. Not so much on the stat sheet but if you watched the game, Hoge took that game over. Those combined performances by Hoge in the Broncos and Oilers games is one of the better two game performances that has been excited by a Steelers player. Probably not the best, but it's in the conversation of two game performances.

tube517
11-22-2015, 11:46 AM
I'd vote for that one and I'd mention his game beofore that against the Oilers as one of the better individual performances out there. Not so much on the stat sheet but if you watched the game, Hoge took that game over. Those combined performances by Hoge in the Broncos and Oilers games is one of the better two game performances that has been excited by a Steelers player. Probably not the best, but it's in the conversation of two game performances.

This.

zulater
11-22-2015, 11:47 AM

Rod Woodson had a tremendous game in that game against the Oilers too.

steelerdude15
11-22-2015, 12:00 PM
There are so many great individual performances throughout the years, but I would have to say Ben's game against the Colts last year.

Ben also had a great game against the Packers in 2009 where he threw for 500 yards and threw a touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on the last play of the game.

Throwback Thursday: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger's 503-yard game against the Packers in 2009

Not many quarterbacks can say they've thrown for 500 yards in a game. To be quite honest, only 15 quarterbacks in NFL history can say they are in the '500 Club'. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a member of the club, and the only quarterback in NFL history who has thrown for over 500 yards twice in his career.

For this Throwback Thursday we trek back to 2009 when Roethlisberger entered the '500 Club' with a gem of a performance against the Green Bay Packers at Heinz Field.

If you recall, in 2009 the Steelers were struggling. They had just lost 5 games in a row when the Packers came to town looking to eliminate them from any hope of them making the postseason, and if it weren't for Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers would have done just that.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2015/6/25/8847479/throwback-thursday-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisbergers-503-yard-game

There was a video of his highlights from that game, but the video on Youtube has been blocked.

86WARD
11-22-2015, 03:12 PM

If it wasn't for him, they may not have won that game. In today's game, he may not have played that game. Coming off of the flu and a concussion a couple days before.

Godfather
11-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a member of the club, and the only quarterback in NFL history who has thrown for over 500 yards twice in his career.

That part is outdated. Breesus had his second 500-yard game against the Giants a few weeks ago.

Count Steeler
11-22-2015, 06:09 PM
That part is outdated. Breesus had his second 500-yard game against the Giants a few weeks ago.

Ben has 3 now.

polamalubeast
11-22-2015, 06:12 PM
Ben has 3 now.

no

Steelermania
11-22-2015, 06:18 PM
The last two games by Antonio Brown brought this subject to my mind. That and it's a bye week and I wanted something besides another Boykin thread to occupy my SU posting time. :lol:

Anyway where I want to go with this thread is I want nominations of the most dominant Steeler individual performances for a single game from your perspective. Offense, defense, special teams. Old school, modern, somewhere in between, wherever you want to take it. I give this thread over to the board. Maybe at some point we can make a list and vote? Ok that's kind of corny, :peep: but regardless let's kick this thing off.

Since I'm old I'm going old school. The most dominant game I ever saw by a Steeler was a 1972 regular season game by Joe Greene against the then Houston Oilers.

In a Dec. 10, 1972, game against the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome, the Steelers clinched their first division title under Chuck Noll because of the dominance, greatness and willpower of Greene, the cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense that would dominate the 1970s.

In a game in which the Steelers were ravaged by the flu and injuries, including the loss of quarterback Terry Bradshaw, Greene single-handedly shut down the Oilers with a club-record five sacks, a blocked field goal, a forced fumble and a recovered fumble in a 9-3 victory.

"That performance was truly outstanding," said former linebacker Andy Russell, one of the few healthy players in that game. "Joe Greene, at any time, could rise to a level that was incomprehensible to all of us."

Greene put on one of the greatest one-man shows against the Oilers, who were 1-11 and trying to prevent the Steelers from winning the first of their seven division titles in the '70s.

Defensive end L.C. Greenwood and guard Sam Davis did not play and tackles Jon Kolb and Gerry Mullins had the flu. Bradshaw, wide receiver Ron Shanklin, guard Bruce Van Dyke, guard Jim Clack and defensive end Craig Hanneman, Greenwood's backup -- were injured in the game and did not return.

Defensive end Dwight White and defensive tackle Steve Furness were injured during the game, but they kept playing because the Steelers were running out of bodies. It was so bad tight end Larry Brown, who would eventually grow into an offensive tackle, had to play flanker against the Oilers.

"We needed the game to keep us in the race for the division championship," Greene said the other day. "We were definitely in dire straits because we lost Bradshaw and some of our offensive lineman. And we were having a terrible time of trying to score."

But there was Greene, a No. 1 draft choice in 1969, making sure the Oilers didn't score.

After sacking quarterback Dan Pastorini twice in the second quarter, Greene blocked a 25-yard field-goal attempt by kicker Skip Butler at the end of the first half to keep the score tied, 3-3.

After kicker Roy Gerela gave the Steelers a 6-3 lead with a 39-yard field goal in the third quarter, Greene tackled running back Fred Willis for a 12-yard loss, causing a fumble. Greene recovered at Houston's 13, leading to Gerela's third field goal.

"What I remember is Joe came in the huddle and said, 'I'm taking the ball away from them on this play,' " Russell said. "No one ever said anything like that in a huddle. Then, there's a bang and a crash, and he's holding the ball. That's why I always said he was the player of the decade."

The performance was so dominating it was almost as if Greene picked up his injured, ailing teammates in his arms and carried them to victory

"We were all aware of the defensive urgency," Greene said. "You have the state of mind to do whatever you can to win the game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2007/11/10/In-the-chronicle-of-Steelers-defenders-Greene-s-performance-vs-Oilers-one-for-ages/stories/200711100202

To save keystrokes I copy and pasted a related article, but I do remember this game very well. I was just 12 at the time and I was living in Ocala Florida at the time, so I didn't get to see many Steeler games on tv. But because of Franco the Steeler became relevant that year, and I'm guessing either the Dolphins played on Monday night that week or were facing an NFC visiting team. ( living in Florida that was always the game televised on NBC the AFC's network of the era) But for whatever reason the game was on in Florida. And as the story states the Steelers playoff hopes very much stll up in the air at the time. Anyway Joe Greene just dominated that game like he was a man playing against school children. I've never seen a defensive player take a game over like Joe did that day, before or since. Every play he would beat a double team and be waiting for Pastorini to hand off or drop back. I'll bet Dan still has nightmares about that game. :heh:

OK now I want to see some good nominations by you guys.

And even though I'm not a moderator here I suggest a month ban for the first person who nominates Charlie Batch's all time QBR record setting game against the Bucs. :chuckle:

The threads yours.....
This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Terry Hanratty was also injured, and Joe Gilliam, then a rookie, had to come in. Myron Cope said it was the greatest performance he ever saw in any football game. Those who are too young to have seen Joe Greene during the first 6 years of his career will never truly understand how dominant he was. As great as Lambert, Blount, Woodson, Troy, and Harrison were, they have to stand in line behind Joe Greene.

You know, what really put the team over the top, was that Lambert came in, and he had the identical disposition as Joe Greene. Both absolutely hated to lose with a passion. Putting two of those on the same team just made the Steeler defense insane.

zulater
11-22-2015, 06:42 PM
This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Terry Hanratty was also injured, and Joe Gilliam, then a rookie, had to come in. Myron Cope said it was the greatest performance he ever saw in any football game. Those who are too young to have seen Joe Greene during the first 6 years of his career will never truly understand how dominant he was. As great as Lambert, Blount, Woodson, Troy, and Harrison were, they have to stand in line behind Joe Greene.

You know, what really put the team over the top, was that Lambert came in, and he had the identical disposition as Joe Greene. Both absolutely hated to lose with a passion. Putting two of those on the same team just made the Steeler defense insane.

Glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember Mean Joe at his best. He was still great after 74, but never as great as he was was from 69-74. He was every bit as great as Reggie White or any other defensive lineman of any era. Fast, powerful, smart, angry and skilled. What a player.

TeeTee
11-24-2015, 02:25 PM

His hard hit on White forced a turnover and won the game in OT, if I recall correctly. It was a courageous hit, as White had size on Rod.