PDA

View Full Version : Carnell Lake On Brandon Boykin’s Playing Time: “It’s Just That We’re Doing OK”

polamalubeast
11-20-2015, 06:41 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/carnell-lake-on-brandon-boykins-playing-time-its-just-that-were-doing-ok/

86WARD
11-20-2015, 07:49 AM
...We're Doing OK.

Good enough for me...why would you want to potentially do better? Why literally throw away a 5th round pick then if you're satisfied with "OK"?

Shoes
11-20-2015, 07:52 AM
...We're Doing OK.

Good enough for me...why would you want to potentially do better? Why literally throw away a 5th round pick then if you're satisfied with "OK"?

Agreed! :huh:

MrPgh
11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
This is one of those moves where it looks like Tomlin and Colbert were not on the same page.

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Did anyone take the time to read past the headline? The author lays out a pretty clear chain of events as to why Boykin was acquired and then not slotted into the starting line-up.

Basically seems like Cockrell was an unexpected bonus player that fell into their laps.

Again, not saying that I would have or continue to make similar decisions as the Steelers have with the DB situation - but there is a chain of interconnected events that logically line up to result on Boykin not playing.

Hell, if Golson doesn't break his shoulder - none of this happens anyways.

Steeldude
11-20-2015, 10:09 AM
So he thinks Blake is doing well? Wow!

Why draft anyone? The Steelers are doing ok. Haha

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 10:15 AM
Did anyone take the time to read past the headline? The author lays out a pretty clear chain of events as to why Boykin was acquired and then not slotted into the starting line-up.

Yes, it seems like the reason is that the coaching staff is blind, or stupid. If our secondary is doing OK, then this is pretty good too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n3ZzWKXaU4

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 10:30 AM
The secondary is suffering at the safety and outside CB spot. Boykin can do nothing about the safety play. So take a look at CB.

1. Gay plays either outside in the base or slides into the slot on the nickel. Boykin is not taking Gay's spot in either package.
2. Cockrell is locked in as the nickel corner. As the article states this is a player they wanted to draft a year ago and view as a building block moving forward.
3. That leaves Blake. For reasons that remain unclear the Steelers view Blake, even an injured Blake, as a better outside corner than Boykin.

The first two I can see the reasoning behind. It is the third one that really seems to fly in the face of reason and logic. If nothing else, use Blake's health as an excuse and sit him for a week to "heal up" and see what Boykin can do.

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 11:42 AM
The secondary is suffering at the safety and outside CB spot. Boykin can do nothing about the safety play. So take a look at CB.

1. Gay plays either outside in the base or slides into the slot on the nickel. Boykin is not taking Gay's spot in either package.
2. Cockrell is locked in as the nickel corner. As the article states this is a player they wanted to draft a year ago and view as a building block moving forward.
3. That leaves Blake. For reasons that remain unclear the Steelers view Blake, even an injured Blake, as a better outside corner than Boykin.

The first two I can see the reasoning behind. It is the third one that really seems to fly in the face of reason and logic. If nothing else, use Blake's health as an excuse and sit him for a week to "heal up" and see what Boykin can do.

That's basically how I see it too.

Gay needs to be on the field because he's our best everyday corner right now.

Blake has no business still being out there - this season has been all about proving he's NOT the long-term answer, and he's established that pretty well now. Anything more with him this season is just wasted downs.

Cockrell could go either way. He's definitely shown some potential, but I don't think he's an everyday player yet.

It's pretty clear that it ought to be 1 - Gay, 2 - Boykin, 3- Cockrell, and Blake only when there's no other option.

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Gay has always been pretty up and down playing on the outside. I see no reason why Boykin cant be the starter on the outside in base formation. Ive pretty much given up on Blake being viewed as "replaceable" by the coaching staff. That redzone pick of Dalton and Chargers pick 6 are going to keep him in the starting lineup no matter what

ALLD
11-20-2015, 02:25 PM
...We're Doing OK.

Next season we are going to trade another 5th round pick for a S who is going to ride the bench beginning in the pre-season.

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2015, 06:44 PM
Basically I don't listen to anything that the coaching staff says any more. It's all b.s. Boykin is a better cover CB than anyone else on our roster, period.

86WARD
11-20-2015, 08:31 PM

I tend to agree with what you are saying here but you kinda don't know that for a fact because you haven't seen him play with the Steelers. If you give up a 5th Round pick, for what appears to be a very good slot corner based on his history and a potential starter outside, you may want to give him a few reps to see how he does. To maybe see if he has indeed developed into an outside guy.

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2015, 09:18 PM
I mean damn. At least rotate Boykin in for SOMEBODY once in a while to see what he's got.

hawaiiansteeler
11-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Steelers coach explains Brandon Boykin's limited role on defense

Bryan DeArdo - Nov 19

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/570/31/6_4031570.jpg

On Thursday, defensive backs coach Carnell Lake detailed the reason for Brandon Boykin's limited play this season.

Acquired from Philadelphia this past offseason for a fourth or five round draft pick (Boykin will have to play in at least 60 percent of the team's defensive snaps for the team to surrender a fourth round pick), Boykin has seen little playing time this season, making just six tackles with one pass defensed.

When asked what would need to happen for Boykin to have a more expanded role on the defense, Lake said: "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now. I have faith and confidence that he can play. It's just that we're doing OK."

Boykin's lack of playing time has been a hot button topic all season, especially during the secondary's struggles defending the pass. But despite being 27th in the league in pass defense, the Steelers are fifth in points allowed, as the secondary has continued to make opportunistic plays despite giving up a bevy of yards through the air.

Acquired to add depth to the secondary that was facing question marks this past offseason that included the departures of Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu, Lake and the rest of the Steelers' coaching brass must feel that Pittsburgh's cornerbacks, specifically Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell, are playing well enough that Boykin's services are not needed at this time.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-coach-explains-Brandon-Boykins-limited-role-on-defense-41210924

polamalubeast
11-30-2015, 11:39 AM

Psycho Ward 86
11-30-2015, 12:29 PM
i cant imagine how furious Boykin must have been sitting on the bench Sunday

salamander
11-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Are they still doing "ok"?

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Are they still doing "ok"?

if your definition of "ok" is to limit the opposing team's QB to only 345 yards passing with 5 TDs and zero interceptions then we're doing just fine...

86WARD
11-30-2015, 01:09 PM
Ok isn't good...

tube517
11-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Ok isn't good...

OK = Solid = :poop:

lipps83
11-30-2015, 02:15 PM
I think it might be time that Lake is sent his walking papers. The defensive backfield has pretty much been horrendous with little to no signs of improvement under his tutelage.

When is enough actually enough and attempts are made at what point to try to improve this part of the team?

Last game against the Browns a 3rd string QB put up a career game (sure, some will argue they only gave up 9 points and ignore the atrociousness but that is because the Browns actually suck).

Wilson had a career day yesterday.

Really and truthfully, nothing more can be said. Attempts need to be made to fix this shit.

katmandu
11-30-2015, 03:44 PM
Wilson had a career day yesterday.So did Seattle's secondary with 5 INTs.

Steeler's secondary had ZERO. Made the whole difference in the outcome of the game.

fansince'76
11-30-2015, 03:50 PM
I think it might be time that Lake is sent his walking papers. The defensive backfield has pretty much been horrendous with little to no signs of improvement under his tutelage.

Agreed.

st33lersguy
11-30-2015, 04:19 PM
Yep, surrendering 39 points and 5 TD passes to Russell Wilson and a bunch of scrub receivers sounds ok to me.

katmandu
11-30-2015, 04:35 PM
Yep, surrendering 39 points and 5 TD passes to Russell Wilson and a bunch of scrub receivers sounds ok to me.Yup! They're SOLID alright !

http://iheartdogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/shutterstock_54907030.jpg

Mojouw
11-30-2015, 04:35 PM
I'm fine with firing Lake. But fire all the coaches you want to - it won't fix the problem that aside from Mitchell (gawd, I can't believe I typed that!) there are zero players on the roster that are physically and mentally capable of consistently making plays in the secondary. Zero. They are either terminally stupid, physically limited from an NFL athlete standpoint, or a toxic combination of both.

Considering that all of the current secondary besides Gay and Mitchell is off the undrafted free agent or waiver wire scrap heap, I don't think it is surprising that the secondary is terrible.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm fine with firing Lake. But fire all the coaches you want to - it won't fix the problem that aside from Mitchell (gawd, I can't believe I typed that!) there are zero players on the roster that are physically and mentally capable of consistently making plays in the secondary. Zero. They are either terminally stupid, physically limited from an NFL athlete standpoint, or a toxic combination of both.

Considering that all of the current secondary besides Gay and Mitchell is off the undrafted free agent or waiver wire scrap heap, I don't think it is surprising that the secondary is terrible.

This.

And I'd like to add that before Lake is fired, because there have been times the DBs have been serviceable, Danny Smith should hit the road.