PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mitchell is bad guy Steelers need

hawaiiansteeler
11-20-2015, 12:05 AM
Mike Mitchell is bad guy Steelers need

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/wp-content/themes/sportedge-parent/thumb.php?src=http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/119.jpg&h=370&w=620&zc=1&q=100

Mike Mitchell is setting the tone for the revamped Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

And he isn’t making any friends in the process.

On the stat sheet, Mitchell is having a Pro Bowl-caliber year. He leads the team in interceptions, is tied for the most forced fumbles and is fourth in tackles. After a rough 2014 where he played with a bad groin, Mitchell looks like the player the Steelers envisioned when they signed him to a five-year, $25 million deal.

But his stats may not be the biggest reason he is making noise in 2015.

On Oct. 1 against the Baltimore Ravens, Mitchell drove his shoulder in Steve Smith’s back near the sideline as Smith lowered his shoulder to truck a defender. Smith immediately got up and got in Mitchell’s face. On Nov. 1, Mitchell lowered his shoulder into Marvin Jones’s stomach as the receiver reached forward for a pass and immediately snapped backwards.

Neither play drew a flag, but both drew the ire of the recipient. Smith declared that Mitchell was on his “lifetime hit list,” while Jones called Mitchell “fake tough.”

Mitchell plays like a heat-seeking missile between the whistles, and sometimes after it. He does not shy from contact, and isn’t afraid to get in players’ faces after the whistle if they don’t like how he plays. Other players are starting to hate him for it.

When was the last time the Steelers had a legitimate bad guy not named James Harrison?

to read rest of article:

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/mike-mitchell-is-bad-guy-steelers-need/29110

Drazo85
11-20-2015, 04:04 AM
If he only can stop with his stupid celebrations when he tackles someone beyond first down mark, fans would appreciate his attitude more. He would be a Steeler, and currently he is nothing more than punk who is playing some good football.

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 10:19 AM
YES! This is a great point. The Steelers have always had a "hammer" on defense. Often not their best player on that side of the ball - but a tone setter none the less. Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, Porter, Harrison, Clark, etc have filled that role over the years.

Since Harrison's decline, they have been missing that. I don't think it is possible to over value the impact that a single crunching hit can have on a defense emotionally. I've always believed that a big part of a successful defense is "Want to". I think that Mitchell wrecking guys makes the other 10 "want to even" more.

I now it kinda sounds like nonsense, but I'll put it out there.

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2015, 12:37 PM
How do you make a Mike Mitchell article without mentioning his 2 red zone picks? Dude is starting to look like he could be way better than he ever was in Carolina. Keep it up Mitchell

TeeTee
11-20-2015, 12:57 PM
On Oct. 1 against the Baltimore Ravens, Mitchell drove his shoulder in Steve Smith’s back near the sideline as Smith lowered his shoulder to truck a defender.

I thought it was established Timmons was the one who made that hit?

You won't see any Mitchel jerseys, unless he stops celebrating over a tackle after a first down is made. I like when he makes a play, but I still don't like him even then.

86WARD
11-20-2015, 08:18 PM
He's been playing much, much better since getting away from LeBeau and even better away from Polamalu. Everything about him is a good thing except for the senseless celebrating. I don't mind the celebrating...just some of it is obviously non-sense...unnecessary.

tube517
11-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Yeah, his celebrations are ridiculous.

I guess he's fully healthy now compared to last year.