PDA

View Full Version : Next Season Backup QBs

Shoes
11-18-2015, 08:18 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out over the summer and into training camp. I get a gut feeling that Landry Jones will be #2. Ben has said on more than one presser that Jones is the smartest QB he's been around. He did seem much more comfortable and confident this season, that is until the terminator planted one on his ankle. But then I think, will the Steelers make an attempt to trade him? Does taking in a vet make sense when Jones knows the system so well? Do they draft a #3 or use Tyler Murphy as a #3?

I'm hoping Vick will be gone at seasons end, and I get a feeling that Grad will also be shown the door. I'm not sure what Grads price is, but think the Steelers will move on. I just have a hard time seeing Grad at 2 and Jones at 3 again. If thats the way it pans out, I think the Steelers would try and trade Jones.

Count Steeler
11-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Might depend on whether Haley stays or not. The Steelers have invested a lot of time into Jones and I would think he is the backup QB on next year's starting roster.

Vick needs to go. If he has any game left, Tomlin or Haley isn't allowing him to show it. I'd release him and see what may be available in the off season.

86WARD
11-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Jones and sign someone or draft someone.m there are plenty of decent veterans out there that would be more than serviceable. Murphy isn't the answer and I'd hate to waste time with that. No reason to fall into,a,similar situation as this year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

86WARD
11-18-2015, 09:12 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/18/882183e2667ef269c362331d8aa033f0.jpg

Psycho Ward 86
11-18-2015, 10:42 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/18/882183e2667ef269c362331d8aa033f0.jpg

give me Ryan Fitzpatrick, Charlie Whitehurst, or Matt Moore (in that order). These guys all have starting experience and seem complacent in being backups, although some have had to step in due to injury. Kirk Cousins, TJ Yates, and Case are probably staying where they are and they're all going to want a shot at starting.

#TeamAmishRifle

Steel Peon
11-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I don't dislike Matt Schaub, aka. Elmer Fudd.

tube517
11-18-2015, 11:02 PM
Vick is done.

If Grad is a UFA, I doubt they re-sign him.

hawaiiansteeler
11-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Jones and sign someone or draft someone

I say we draft another QB in the 4th round so we have someone new to bash and call a bust for the next few years...

steelreserve
11-19-2015, 01:15 AM
I'd say Jones stays here only if we can extend him for at least one more year at a reasonable price. We can probably offer him the same as the $2M we're paying Gradkowski. maybe up to $3M, without hurting ourselves. If we guarantee it, then mabye he'll take it versus an uncertain shot somewhere else. I don't think he's shown enough to prove he's more than a backup yet, but who knows, teams have bet big on other people's backup QBs before based on one or two solid games.

If we don't have him extended before this offseason's draft, then we probably trade him.

I am 100% certain we drop Vick after this year, and likely Gradkowski too unless we deal Jones.

If we keep Jones, third-stringer is probably going to be a low-round pick, or someone else's low-round pick from last year who they finally released; I doubt many veterans who are any good would jump at the chance to be the third-stringer. If we don't keep Jones, backup and third-string will probably be a battle between a veteran and someone we draft in the late rounds.

86WARD
11-19-2015, 05:59 AM
I'd be willing to pay for a good back up. Fitzpatrick would be the top on my list. He's exactly what you would want in a back up. I wouldn't mind Drew Stanton either...but this is a type of "you get what you pay for" type situation and I don't see Pittsburgh paying "Fitzpatrick Type Money" to get a decent back up. So I lean more towards thinking they extend Jones and bring back Gradkowski or draft a late round guy. Whatever they do, Murphy shouldn't be in the picture.

Craic
11-19-2015, 11:30 AM
I'd be absolutely happy with the backups we began this year with - Grad and Jones.

Dissolv
11-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Jones was absolutely the best 4th string QB to take the field this year. I'd be happy if he was promoted to #2.

Dissolv

TeeTee
11-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I say we draft another QB in the 4th round so we have someone new to bash and call a bust for the next few years...
:lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Jones was absolutely the best 4th string QB to take the field this year. I'd be happy if he was promoted to #2.

Dissolv

I'm OK with it, but I never would have thought I'd be saying that prior to this season. No way. I thought he was completely worthless, but, kind of like the old days, he was allowed 3 years to "get it" and he has, to some degree, at least.

Steeldude
11-19-2015, 05:11 PM
Just as long as it is not a running QB.

I know the "Sign Griffin" threads are around the corner.

86WARD
11-19-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm OK with it, but I never would have thought I'd be saying that prior to this season. No way. I thought he was completely worthless, but, kind of like the old days, he was allowed 3 years to "get it" and he has, to some degree, at least.

I never thought he'd be a decent QB2, but he was one of the most improved players from last year through the preseason. He didn't get a lot of help via the receivers but clearly was making quick and good decisions throughout most of his playing time.

Shoes
11-19-2015, 08:57 PM

:chuckle: Love you Bro!

hawaiiansteeler
11-19-2015, 11:08 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/43/52/6d43525dc6103e6820d41d780efad2cb.jpg