PDA

View Full Version : Defense boasts the most important numbers

stillers4me
11-18-2015, 05:27 AM
The Steelers defense, after yet another such performance against the Cleveland Browns, gives real meaning to the old cliche of “bend but don’t break.”

It is confounding in ways. While that defense ranks near the lower third of the NFL at No. 22 by allowing 371.4 yards per game, it ranks fifth best in scoreboard stinginess at just 19.1 points per game.

The Steelers allow the sixth-most yards through the air in the NFL at 278.4 per game, but rank fifth best in the league at preventing the run both in average yards per carry (3.8) against them and average yards per game yielded (93.0).

That trend was on stage again Sunday at Heinz field when the Steelers held their fourth opponent under 14 points with a 30-9 victory against the Browns..........

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/17/On-the-Steelers-Defense-boasts-the-most-important-numbers/stories/201511170045

Edman
11-18-2015, 02:27 PM
B-B-But Johnny Manziel threw for 300 yards! :chuckle:

Fire Tomlin.

Count Steeler
11-18-2015, 04:53 PM
B-B-But Johnny Manziel threw for 300 yards! :chuckle:

Fire Tomlin.

372 yards. I wonder if that was a record. 372 yards and only 9 points. You have to figure that you get at least 24 points out of 372 yards. But it was the Browns.

steelreserve
11-18-2015, 05:12 PM
I've never really believed in "bend but don't break" defense. That either means you're getting lucky near the goal line, or you're doing something wrong the rest of the time.

I'm hoping it's the latter, and we can learn from what we're doing right.

Dissolv
11-18-2015, 05:15 PM
As long as you can get the turnovers -- it works. That means pressure, strips, and general ball-hawking, something that we have not had in years.

Dissolv

Craic
11-18-2015, 06:46 PM
I've never really believed in "bend but don't break" defense. That either means you're getting lucky near the goal line, or you're doing something wrong the rest of the time.

That seems to be a pretty simplistic understanding of the game, IMO. When you're within the redzone, there's much less vertical space to cover. That means a zone defense can step into passing lanes quicker and collapse on a runner faster. So, you build a defense that purposefully keeps all plays in front of them, then, use the shortened field as a 12th defender to smother the opposing offense.

Dick LeBeau used that method, as did the Patriots* defense. Think Tampa-two as well. In fact, I'd argue it's one of the basic elements of any zone type defense.

polamalubeast
11-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Same thing for me, but at the same time, the steelers have not the most talented defense, so I can live with the bend but don't break defense.

ALLD
11-18-2015, 06:58 PM
372 yards. I wonder if that was a record. 372 yards and only 9 points. You have to figure that you get at least 24 points out of 372 yards. But it was the Browns.

Sounds like the BA red zone offense that also gets your QB killed.

Butch
11-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I have to give the D a lot of credit when I see them keep the team in most games despite the offense giving up a lot of 3 and outs and not being able to capitalize on several turnovers. Hell Ben killed the D in Cincy with an interception deep in Cincy territory on the 1st play of a drive. Yes the D gave up the game winning TD after that but how can anyone put that on the D?