PDA

View Full Version : NFL Week 10 Power Rankings Are Out!

gibletmc1992
11-17-2015, 09:23 AM
So I'm a big fan from the UK - would love your opinion on 2 things.

http://www.realsport101.com/nfl-power-rankings-bills-texans-big-risers-after-a-crazy-week-10/

Firstly, do power rankings really matter?
Secondly, do we think, despite only a small climb in the tables this week - we can go further this season?

Rotorhead
11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
They don't really matter, some are based solely on record, others on opinion of "experts" who include former players which have their own prejudices. It is really just something ppl talk about, good if your team is ranked higher, boo if they are not. What really matters is health and if the team is clicking if/when they make the playoffs.

tube517
11-17-2015, 10:45 AM
These polls are useless as far as the NFL goes. What matters is who is holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.

steelreserve
11-17-2015, 11:04 AM
I was more amazed that over a third of the league is sitting at 4-5 right now.

But hey, I guess that's what the commissioner wanted - 25th-best team in the league? One win away from the playoffs!

Craic
11-17-2015, 11:30 AM
They matter only in the sense of furthering narratives about teams, such as "This team is unbeatable" or "that team is struggling this season"; narratives which teams may buy into if they're not careful. But outside of that slight possibility, no, they don't matter.

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 11:45 AM
So I'm a big fan from the UK

aloha and welcome to this message board! :drink:

and good first post...

Steelman
11-17-2015, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the boards!

As far as power rankings...they're an arbitrary opinion formed by people who typically don't have a deep knowledge of all of the teams, only topical basics. In particular with the Steelers, most of these "journalists" have improper perceptions of the team and how it operates. SO, these rankings are not to be taken seriously. We the fanbase know why we're 6-4 and why we could potentially run the table down the stretch or just as easily flop. Sports are predicated on matchups. That's where power rankings fail, and why you typically see such drastic differences between these rankings and what actually occurs week to week, especially in the playoffs. That's my opinion at least!

86WARD
11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Welcome! To answer the question, they don't matter at all. Only thing that matters is who is on top at the end!

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 12:14 PM
they don't matter at all. Only thing that matters is who is on top at the end!

so it's kind of like sex then?

86WARD
11-17-2015, 12:26 PM
so it's kind of like sex then?

Lol.

TeeTee
11-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Firstly, do power rankings really matter?

Not in the least. There is zero influence of opinion in the NFL; you earn what you are, unlike college football and hoops, which do have elements opinion shaping season's outcome, to a degree, you only make the play offs purely by wins and losses, and no one's opinions come into play whatsoever.

Secondly, do we think, despite only a small climb in the tables this week - we can go further this season?

Of course. We have Ben, anything can happen.

Rotorhead
11-17-2015, 02:59 PM
Actually, there is a little more to it then wins and losses, Division winners are in, then the next 2 best teams (record + tie breakers). So it is possible (and likely this season) to have the #4 seed with a worse record than the #5 and #6 seed. On top of that, the #4 seed could have a worse record than the #7 team who is out of the playoffs.