PDA

View Full Version : Rookie overload

Galax Steeler
09-05-2010, 06:19 AM
PITTSBURGH – After Saturday's cuts, the Steelers have eight draft picks on the team, the most during Kevin Colbert’s 11-year reign as director of football operations. ...

Read more:http://pit.scout.com/2/998937.html

Butch
09-05-2010, 06:48 AM
We were due for one this team has a lot of Great aging veterans. I just hope they all pan out and think they will.

BuddhaBus
09-05-2010, 07:27 AM
We were due for one this team has a lot of Great aging veterans. I just hope they all pan out and think they will.

I agree. They needed to get younger and it looks like they may have hit the jackpot in this draft. Too bad some of that is going to have to make up for last year's "failures" though (Urbik, Burnett, Summers, Harris and Shipley.).

stillers4me
09-05-2010, 08:05 AM
So if Ben doesn't count toward the 53 man count, does someone have to cut when he gets back?

SteelerSal
09-05-2010, 08:40 AM
So if Ben doesn't count toward the 53 man count, does someone have to cut when he gets back?

I'm sure one of the other qb's will be let go. They won't keep 4 on the roster.

BigNastyDefense
09-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm sure one of the other qb's will be let go. They won't keep 4 on the roster.

Either Leftwich (depending on how he's coming along with his injury) or Batch (because he is more fragile than fine crystal).

Galax Steeler
09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I say Batch will be gone we know that it won't be Dixon and Leftwich will be better insurance then Batch.

Edman
09-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I agree. They needed to get younger and it looks like they may have hit the jackpot in this draft. Too bad some of that is going to have to make up for last year's "failures" though (Urbik, Burnett, Summers, Harris and Shipley.).

Urbik and Harris are likely headed to the practice squad. It's not all bad, dude.

Steeldude
09-05-2010, 02:39 PM
by keeping this many rookies means one of two things. it's either the steelers desperately wanted to get younger or the veterans they have collected were really bad. i think it's a combo.

which veteran on the team is going to keep them in line when many of the veterans act like undisciplined rookies themselves?

is it just me or does anyone else feel this team is getting more and more undisciplined as each season goes by? craig wolfley made a comment basically saying what does it say about an O-line where the rookie is the only one blocking until the whistle blows.

tube517
09-05-2010, 06:33 PM
None of the UDFA's made the team. We usually find one or two but I guess this year's group didn't cut it. Only Cromartie-Smith had a shot. Hopefully, he makes the PS.

steelpride12
09-05-2010, 06:52 PM
This is exactly why the Steelers are a successful franchise, they are an excellent team when it comes to the draft, it's not often our first round picks are busts and when starters and players age a draft like this one where we keep majority of them and they all show signs and eventually will be starters!

7willBheaven
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Actually you could say they kept 9 of 10 rookies drafted...as Chris Scott is still technically on the team just on the PUP for now.

The Duke
09-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Actually you could say they kept 9 of 10 rookies drafted...as Chris Scott is still technically on the team just on the PUP for now.

true

the face he wasn't put on IR immediately tells me they got hope for him

steelerdude15
09-05-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm very happy about this and it makes me excited for the future. We picked up some talented players and they seem to be doing well in our system. Man I'm so ready for football, new real-authentic Miller jersey on the way and Sunday is getting closer... With a great season opener on Thursday to begin with. :amen:

7willBheaven
09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
true

the face he wasn't put on IR immediately tells me they got hope for him

Yeah...its odd though he didnt get to take part in camp...or much of anything for that matter...and yet they didnt IR him...i was shocked. But they have 6 weeks on PUP then 3 more to let him practice then decide what to do with him (before he counts towards the 53)..IR him or cut him...i dunno who they'd cut to keep him though...should be interesting...it seems like they dont want to loose him though (to another team by cutting him)...we shall see...

BuddhaBus
09-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Urbik and Harris are likely headed to the practice squad. It's not all bad, dude.

So much for Harris and Urbik making the practice squad. :doh2:

I wasn't saying it was "all bad", thus the quotation marks around failures. It just means a lot of them will be replacing guys we just drafted last year. At least Summers made the PS out of the group I mentioned. I think he could still be a contributer in the future.