PDA

View Full Version : Lies, damn lies and statistics.

TeeTee
11-16-2015, 01:59 PM
You know that saying, and it often holds much truth.

There are a lot of #s to digest from this game, so let's get to it.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015111507/2015/REG10/browns@steelers#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap300 0000580261&tab=analyze

How many times have you seen people (fans, analysts, etc) try to judge the results of a game by stats, but they don't see the whole picture, because they didn't actually watch the game?

This game was one of those, to a degree. For instance, Johnny Football threw for a career high 372 yards. If I didn't see the game, I'd assume he tore up our D, but did he really?

He only put up 9 points, how much could he have really "tore up the D" scoring 9? I will say, it's the best game for Johnny in the NFL so far, but his high yardage was more a product
of them being so far behind and having to throw it all day then it was a case of JM "tearing" up anything (He did throw it 45 times). If anything, I feel Pgh's D did the "tearing up" if anything. They were disruptive,
active, flying all over the place, always in the backfield, laying wood on QB and running back.

Who was the bigger factor? AB or Bryant?

AB - 10 rec, 139 yds, 2 TDs
Bryant - 6 rec, 178 yds, 1 TD

Sorry, I can't choose between them. They were of equal potency. And that is bad news for the rest of the league. MB is the obvious better deep threat (although AB ain't no slouch deep either)
but AB is the more consistent weapon, in terms of more reliable hands and ability to turn any play into a big play, anywhere on the field. If they allow Ben to keep "running the show" being able
to choose plays, they are ridiculous.

Start building a Big Ben statue now.

BB - 22 of 33, 379 yds, 3 TDs, 1 int. he is a cult hero right now. My only complaint was he got a little sloppy on that pick, he seemed like he just want into "I'll just whip it anywhere and it will
work" mode. He does that from time to time, however does it less than ever. As of right now, those QBs who always get mentioned before him when discussion of top QBs comes up, none
are playing as well as BB other than Brady. Brees and Rogers - and certainly not Peyton Manning - are playing better than BB. All the talk of the younger mobile QBs (Kap and Wilson) being better than BB
can stop now. Cam is having a nice year, in terms of finding ways to win, with a weak supporting cast. I believe he has arrived, but no way do I consider him better than BB. The only QB who one
can make a solid argument as being better than BB is Brady. I mean, he hasn't lost and is just nails.

D. Williams - 17 att, 54 yds, no TDs. This game was no indictment on DW. The Browns came in with a sell out to stop the rush, as they are the worst team in the NFL on that front. I totally expected
them to come in and plug the rush, even with their status of 32nd against the rush coming in. And even with the big league (thank you, God) either the staff, or BB had the wisdom to know the
best way to win was throwing the ball, since the Browns remained totally focused on stopping the rush. (This team in the past would have tried to force the rushing game all day, and make
this game a nail bitter instead of a blow out. However whoever came to their senses on this front, however they discovered it, thank you.) DW will have big games this season; this just wasn't
going to be one of them.

D was stout all day long, regardless if JM threw for 379 or not.

Rushing.

Manziel - 3 for 17
Johnson - 4 for 10
Crowell - 6 for -5

The D caved their face in. Crowell is their main back and ran 6 times for MINUS 5. Anyone still gonna try to maintain this D isn't way better off sans LeBeau? I like this group. They aren't perfect, but
they fly all over the place. Timmons made some nice plays. Allen had the best game I can recall from him. Gay was a solid CB all day. Spence and Shazier were solid. Jones was garbage.

Did you watch the night game last night?

I know a lot of you hate Chris Collinsworth, and I used to at the beginning of his announcing career but I feel he has progressed and I actually enjoy his broadcasts now. In case you haven't noticed, he
has gone from being a Steeler hater, to giving them props. Last night, he said of the Seahawks, "They are like the Pgh Steelers: No one wants them to get into the playoffs and have to play them because
they can get hot and beat anyone."

I have to agree, if Ben can stay healthy. Another poster said that without Bell (paraphrasing), we stop trying to force feed him into the game so much, and play looser and are more potent. It seems so. I
am not taking anything away from Bell, as he is fantastic. But, it does seem we are more prolific since they don't overdose on his touches, making us less predictable.

polamalubeast
11-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Tomlin is a idiot too....

LLT
11-16-2015, 02:12 PM

That's a lie!!! A DAMN lie!! What statistics do you have to back that up!!!

TeeTee
11-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Correct grammar: Tomlin is _an_ idiot too.

And I wouldn't say that about him, across the board. In certain situations? He can be. But he managed to land and hold onto a head coaching job in the NFL. I don't think an "idiot" could pull that off.

Rotorhead
11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
The only reason JM had that many yards is because they were playing from behind and couldn't run, what else is he going to do? Once a team gets up by a couple scores, offenses become 1D and start passing to try to get a quick score and bring the game back in to contention. This and the fact that teams with big leads tend to play more prevent style defenses to keep the quick scoring plays from happening allows other teams to put up bigger stats than what actually played out. Pretty much anyone that watches football on even a semi-regular basis knows this. If you look at a score (30-9) and the loosing QB has a lot of yards, they were behind big early or there were a lot of trash time yards (in our case the entire 4th Qrtr was trash time).

TeeTee
11-16-2015, 02:39 PM
The only reason JM had that many yards is because they were playing from behind and couldn't run, what else is he going to do? Once a team gets up by a couple scores, offenses become 1D and start passing to try to get a quick score and bring the game back in to contention. This and the fact that teams with big leads tend to play more prevent style defenses to keep the quick scoring plays from happening allows other teams to put up bigger stats than what actually played out. Pretty much anyone that watches football on even a semi-regular basis knows this. If you look at a score (30-9) and the loosing QB has a lot of yards, they were behind big early or there were a lot of trash time yards (in our case the entire 4th Qrtr was trash time).

I agree. But didn't I express basically the very same thing in the OP?

ALLD
11-16-2015, 03:46 PM
The Steelers put them away with the last TD in the 2nd quarter. It wasn't even close after that. Their first possession in the 3rd quarter the Browns rolled over and died. They suck and should be embarrassed.

Craic
11-16-2015, 03:50 PM
~snip —Original Post— snip~

You know, TeeTee, if you were as well thought out in your other posts as you are in this one, you'd get a whole lot more respect around here.

I disagree with some of the minor points here, but overall, very good post.

TeeTee
11-16-2015, 04:36 PM
You know, TeeTee, if you were as well thought out in your other posts as you are in this one, you'd get a whole lot more respect around here.

I disagree with some of the minor points here, but overall, very good post.

Craic,

It's a sports message board on the Internet; it's one of my areas for entertainment, not looking for respect, per se, but I appreciate your kind words. Others may take comfort in knowing that the group respects them as a poster, but it's OK if I am not. A lot of what I post is for fun, but some don't see it, and that's OK too. For instance, am I really obsessed with Tomlin's sunglasses? Not really, but it's fun to say/write "Cool Shades." To each their own. This is supposed to be about entertaining yourself - and maybe a few others - along the way. Some may get your humor, others may not. We all have our individual likes and dislikes. To each their own.

86WARD
11-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Brown is nothing without Bryant. :stirthepot:

The Browns should've had many more points than the score indicated...they went literally backwards on one goal to go series, had an easy TD pass dropped in the end zone.

Texasteel
11-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Please forgive me, this is way off topic, but I always want to be respected in all aspects of my life. Particularly when I am with people I consider friends. I think respect is earned, and part of the way to earn this is to be respectful of others. I try to respect their opinions,,,,, even when they are wrong. ( Just kidding ), and respect the fact that, in the heat of battle, they may say things that they really don't mean to say, in a way that they don't mean to say it. Don't get me wrong, I have had heated discussions in the past, just like most, and probably will again, but I still try to be respectful of the other person. I can have fun without calling someone stupid.

j-d-s
11-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Brown is nothing without Bryant. :stirthepot:

The Browns should've had many more points than the score indicated...they went literally backwards on one goal to go series, had an easy TD pass dropped in the end zone.

That kind of things happened numerous times to teams playing us. I think the Niners were stopped two times on 4th down in the red zone...

Shoes
11-16-2015, 07:06 PM

And I wouldn't say that about him, across the board. In certain situations? He can be. But he managed to land and hold onto a head coaching job in the NFL. I don't think an "idiot" could pull that off.

Just for your information smart a$$, English isn't polamalubeast first language.

Craic
11-16-2015, 07:40 PM
That kind of things happened numerous times to teams playing us. I think the Niners were stopped two times on 4th down in the red zone...

Yep. I don't discount those things, because, unless it's the first few plays of the game, there's a very good chance that something Pittsburgh's done has started to wear down the players making the penalties. In fact, those types of penalties are pretty much the equivalent of a sack when it comes to showing a team's hard work. NFL lineman don't jump for the heck of it. They may have a mental lapse here and there, but most likely, it's in the back of their head that the guy opposing them is getting off the line faster, so they need to move quicker off the snap . . . and into a 10 yard penalty. Same goes for holding and a few others. Again, not all the time. But when you see them happen like they did on Sunday, it's a pretty good indicator our defense was in their heads.

Steel Peon
11-17-2015, 12:25 PM
The Steelers put them away with the last TD in the 2nd quarter. It wasn't even close after that. Their first possession in the 3rd quarter the Browns rolled over and died. They suck and should be embarrassed.

So true.....you can take the team out of Cleveland, but you can't take the Cleveland out of the team.

TeeTee
11-17-2015, 12:47 PM
Just for your information smart a$$, English isn't polamalubeast first language.

So I am providing him a service in helping him learn proper English. Why would that make one all pissy, autochthon?

CapLovesTroyP43
11-17-2015, 12:59 PM

We don't need no dam grammar Nazis here thank you very much. We all understand what he's trying to convey.

Shoes
11-17-2015, 01:24 PM
So I am providing him a service in helping him learn proper English. Why would that make one all pissy, autochthon?

Then why not do it in private, asshole?

Texasteel
11-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Come on guys. Lets keep the name calling down a bit please.

TeeTee
11-17-2015, 02:46 PM

I see. We have a roving, random policy on ad hominem attacks. One set of rules for some, and another, different set of rules for others. OK.

Shoes
11-17-2015, 03:31 PM
I see. We have a roving, random policy on ad hominem attacks. One set of rules for some, and another, different set of rules for others. OK.

Need a tissue?

tube517
11-17-2015, 04:03 PM
:hockeyfight::boxing::pop2::peep:

TeeTee
11-17-2015, 04:45 PM
Need a tissue?

You have been warned.

Shoes
11-17-2015, 05:28 PM
You have been warned.

And you are in need of a diaper change.

TeeTee
11-17-2015, 05:54 PM
And you are in need of a diaper change.

Your attempted ad hominem attacks are sophomoric at best. And you are out of order, according to board rules.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/3-SU-Do-s-and-Dont-s

2. No Flaming other than in The Beat Down forum. Comments outside of said forum deemed as abusive, offensive, trolling, obnoxious or provocative will be deleted without warning and if deemed appropriate by an Admin/Mod, the offensive party could receive an infraction or be temp/perma-banned. We hope this action will not be necessary.

3. No Hazing of New Members. This rule will be strictly enforced. Everyone is welcome to join our forum and to share their thoughts no matter where they hail from or what their post count is.

teegre
11-17-2015, 06:38 PM
:rofl2:

Tee Tee is calling someone else out for flaming. That's rich.

Way to derail your own thread, Tee Tee.

:toofunny:

Shoes
11-17-2015, 06:50 PM
It's good you know the written forum rules TT, unfortunately you completely missed the unwritten rules of life.... that nobody likes an arrogant, condescending, superior minded @#$#@.

You would be hard pressed to find on this forum or another forum where I labeled a person as such. Your low blow on polamalubest, publicly embarrassing him because of a grammar error is quite kindergarten like. Even more so since his first language isn't English. If you were really trying to help him with his *grammar* you could have used the PM way. Instead the real you showed up once again. This tells me one thing. I was correct in calling you an Asshole and your a royal one at that. If I get booted so be it. You will still be an asshole!!!

stillers4me
11-17-2015, 07:41 PM
You have been warned.

And exactly who do you think YOU are? You have no authority to warn anybody about anything. But I do.

13. Please do not take on the role of an Admin/Mod unless you have been appointed as such.

Consider yourself warned.

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 08:05 PM
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/segasonicdude/Derailed_thread_by_StareOfGreed.jpg

j-d-s
11-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Guess it's a burden and an advantage to have the world language as your mother tongue. You don't have to learn other languages and everyone around the world is able to speak with you, on the other hand they may not be perfect.

I just hope you never speak to people from India, TeeTee :chuckle:.

Count Steeler
11-18-2015, 05:21 AM
OK, looks like this thread can get closed.