PDA

View Full Version : Possible free agent pickups

Aussie_steeler
09-04-2010, 08:28 PM
The final 53 / 54 looks very solid. At the moment I cant see anyone good enough warranting a current squad member to be cut.

But for those who have been watching the cuts today I would like to hear any thoughts that you might have.

DE Jarron Gilbert was cut by the bears and I know that the steelers had scouts at Bears camp in the last week. A high pick that many around here pimped. He hasnt transitioned well to the bears 4-3 system and he looks to be a natural 3-4 DE

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

cold-hard-steel
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Seeing how our qb situation is so enshrouded in controversy , and Leftwichs' injury will keep him from being our"starter",i say we pick up an extra qb somewhere.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea, I was surprised to see that he got cut. I remember that a lot of people here wanted the Steelers to draft him. Could be a good pickup but who would they cut?

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Seeing how our qb situation is so enshrouded in controversy , and Leftwichs' injury will keep him from being our"starter",i say we pick up an extra qb somewhere.

We don't need another QB. We've got Dixon and Batch. That's good for 4 games.

tube517
09-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I think they mean for the practice squad in case of emergency. Charlie is pretty fragile.

86WARD
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
When CHarlie gets hurt, address it then. Until then, I think the roster is set barring any injuries.

Shoes
09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I think they mean for the practice squad in case of emergency. Charlie is pretty fragile.

Charlie will be ok as long as the wind doesn't blow above 10 MPH......above that all his bones are at risk :chuckle:

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 11:28 PM

I'd disagree. Teams rarely use two QBs for any extended period of time. However, I don't expect Leftwich to be out all four of those games. We can roll the dice once or twice.

Not too many former QBs we could pick up and plug in. Palko is the only guy who has worn a Steelers' uniform, and that was for just a short time.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Just checked. Patrick Ramsey is the best option at QB.

Chidi29
09-05-2010, 12:06 AM
A couple guys I wouldn't mind adding.

Selvish Capers - Liked him coming out of college and was really surprised to see him drop to the 7th. Guess he's really raw. A former TE, Capers isn't strong, but very athletic with upside.

DeAngelo Smith - Liked him coming out of Cincy. Good instincts.

Bear Pascoe - A guy we looked at early last year. Good blocker, and a better practice squader than Bright. We got a first-hand look at him when he was the team's only TE when we played the Giants Week 2.

A.Q. Shipley - Eagles cut him. He's there if we want to scoop him back up on the practice squad.

Tim Shaw - Would have to be put on the 53. Hear he's a quality special teamer that fell prey to the numbers game. Think he's a local kid, going to Penn St.

steelpride12
09-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Hmm I wouldn't think we would worry about the QB situation just yet. If Batch played and got hurt which could be likely, then I think we would shop around, but 2 QB's for 4 games is all we will need for now.

Steeltreal
09-05-2010, 01:40 AM
A.Q. Shipley - Eagles cut him. He's there if we want to scoop him back up on the practice squad.

Pouncey would stomp on 'T-rex'

Canadian Steeler Nation
09-05-2010, 07:26 AM
we dont need a 3rd qb we have ARE:)

BuddhaBus
09-05-2010, 07:33 AM

We won't pick him back up. He's had a look by two teams now and doesn't seem to be catching anyone's eye. We don't need him now with Pouncey and Legursky anchoring the center position. He'd never even make the team without an injury. Good luck to A.Q. though. I hope he catches on somewhere.

Slanted August
09-05-2010, 08:04 AM
The final 53 / 54 looks very solid. At the moment I cant see anyone good enough warranting a current squad member to be cut.

But for those who have been watching the cuts today I would like to hear any thoughts that you might have.

DE Jarron Gilbert was cut by the bears and I know that the steelers had scouts at Bears camp in the last week. A high pick that many around here pimped. He hasnt transitioned well to the bears 4-3 system and he looks to be a natural 3-4 DE

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Nice Find Aussie! Could be a diamond....

stillers4me
09-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Anybody seen a RT floating around anywhere. :hmm:

Akagi
09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Another question, who would you let go to pick up Gilbert... Eason? Hood? Kiesel? Smith? Hampton? Hoke? Someone at another poistion, where we're already thin?

I'd rather have Eason, who knows Lebeau's system up and down, than Gilbert. The time to check out Gilbert was July. Fact is, everyone in the NFL who was cut won't be a difference maker, everyone who stayed with the Steelers will be, until they go to 18 games. That will be the only time those cut guys matter.

The Duke
09-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Anybody seen a RT floating around anywhere. :hmm:

Rob Petitti from pittsburgh? Only name I've seen. I know he has started a few games before

was with the panthers last year....

Tim Shaw - Would have to be put on the 53. Hear he's a quality special teamer that fell prey to the numbers game. Think he's a local kid, going to Penn St.

he's basically the same as Pat Bailey. hard working guy who will give it his all in special teams, and excells at that

As it stands, there are two special teams standouts on the market for any team to take. Someone is gonna get very lucky getting them. And logan!

oneforthetoe
09-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Did we sign TJ Ducket yet?:peace:

7willBheaven
09-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Another question, who would you let go to pick up Gilbert... Eason? Hood? Kiesel? Smith? Hampton? Hoke? Someone at another poistion, where we're already thin?

I'd rather have Eason, who knows Lebeau's system up and down, than Gilbert. The time to check out Gilbert was July. Fact is, everyone in the NFL who was cut won't be a difference maker, everyone who stayed with the Steelers will be, until they go to 18 games. That will be the only time those cut guys matter.

I heard somewhere that Gilbert is still PS eligible. So they wouldnt have to cut anyone to get him on the PS.

The Duke
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
freakin jets got him

Jarron Gilbert, the #Bears 3rd round pick last season, has been claimed by the #Jets per a league source.

http://twitter.com/BradBiggs

JayC
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
The Bears are hoping they can bring along wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias as a member of the team's practice squad so they will still get a return on the investment they made in him as a third-round pick in 2009.

To this point, they will not have the same opportunity with the other third-round pick from a year ago. Jarron Gilbert, who was waived along with Iglesias on Saturday as the Bears cut down to the 53-man roster. Gilbert was claimed by the New York Jets, according to a league source, but he was not awarded to them.

The Jets had a priority ranking of players that had been waived, and were awarded Dallas Cowboys defensive end Marcus Dixon. They were not awarded Gilbert, so he is free to sign with any team and he is practice squad eligible.

Butch
09-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Oh how quickly we forget James Harrison. I know the odds are against it but also remember this guy is a 3-4 and da' Bears play a 4-3 so the chances of this guy being something special still remains to be seen.

salamander
09-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Just saw on nfl.com transactions list that Patrick Bailey was picked up by the Titans. I definitely wish him success, but whyyy did he have to go to the Titans???

Steely McSmash
09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Couple of FB that might be worth a pickup:

Tony Richardson cut from jets
Owen Schmitt cut from seahawks

The Duke
09-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Just saw on nfl.com transactions list that Patrick Bailey was picked up by the Titans. I definitely wish him success, but whyyy did he have to go to the Titans???

Wow, they got Tim Shaw and Bailey! They are gonna have pretty good special teams this year. Wonder who they are worried about, jacoby jones?

those are two pretty good fullbacks. Even if schmitt gets a little um....overexcited?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/317791/owen-schmitt-blood-helmet.jpg

lol

The Jets want richardson back but someone will likely claim him

salamander
09-05-2010, 09:58 PM
If we ever bring in Schmitt, I hope we have extra helmets laying around just for him. lol.

7willBheaven
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM

Either of these would be awesome...then they can let Summers go back to being what he is...a RB. But who would you cut to sign one of them?

Austin87
09-06-2010, 03:31 AM
I would love it if we pick one of those two FB's up. We still don't have a legit FB on the team.

LLT
09-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Oh how quickly we forget James Harrison. I know the odds are against it but also remember this guy is a 3-4 and da' Bears play a 4-3 so the chances of this guy being something special still remains to be seen.

I loved Gilbert coming out of college!!!

When he was drafted by the Bears to be a 4-3 tackle I knew that it was going to be a bad marriage. I think you will see him flourish in the Jets 3-4.

LLT
09-06-2010, 04:29 AM
I do think there is a better than average chance that the Steelers pick up a PS quarterback.

KeiselPower99
09-06-2010, 09:34 AM
What QB would be good enough to be picked up on the PS? And Mike Tomlin please PLEASE claim Owen Schmitt!!! The guy would become a cult hero in the Burgh and he can open them holes for Mendy.

SteelerSal
09-06-2010, 09:40 AM
What QB would be good enough to be picked up on the PS? And Mike Tomlin please PLEASE claim Owen Schmitt!!! The guy would become a cult hero in the Burgh and he can open them holes for Mendy.

I wanted to draft Schmitt a few years back......has anyone actually followed his pro career besides his helmet vs his head incident?

KeiselPower99
09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Ive tried to follow him when he went to Seattle. He was the starting FB there for at least last year maybe 2.

salamander
09-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Owen Schmitt has Pittsburgh written all over him. But we all know how Arians feels about true FB's.