PDA

View Full Version : Steelers rookie Jesse James catches first NFL TD vs. Raiders

hawaiiansteeler
11-09-2015, 12:16 PM
Steelers rookie Jesse James catches first NFL TD vs. Raiders

Bryan DeArdo
247Sports

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/911/0/6_4000911.jpg

It's been a big day for Steelers rookies, including tight end Jesse James.

After recording his first NFL reception earlier in the game, James caught his first career touchdown pass from Ben Roethlisberger in the fourth quarter of Pittsburgh's game against visiting Oakland.

James, drafted in the fifth round of this past year's NFL Draft, caught a four-yard touchdown pass from Big Ben to give the Steelers a 35-21 lead over the Raiders with 11:24 remaining. James' touchdown was just one of several stellar plays by Pittsburgh's rookies on Sunday. Bud Dupree had a blocked punt earlier in the game, and Anthony Chickillo's fumble recovery of a kickoff return helped set up James' touchdown.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-rookie-Jesse-James-catches-first-NFL-TD-vs-Raiders-40925092

TeeTee
11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
I was shocked he didn't drop it.

86WARD
11-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I like that both times he caught the ball the chants of HEEAATH rang out. Wut...just because he's white?!?

tube517
11-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I like that both times he caught the ball the chants of HEEAATH rang out. Wut...just because he's white?!?

:lol: My wife was laughing when I pointed that out.

TeeTee
11-09-2015, 03:26 PM

White, similar size, # starts with an 8.

hawaiiansteeler
11-09-2015, 11:39 PM
James: 'It was a great feeling'

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/2015-Photos/2015_Article/11_November/James_11615_Article_1.jpg

Scoring his first NFL touchdown was special for rookie Jesse James.

When rookie Jesse James made his first NFL reception, a nine-yard catch in the first quarter against the Raiders on Sunday, the Heinz Field crowd did what they normally do when a tight end makes a reception.

They cheered ‘Heeeath.’

James heard the cheers, and had to laugh as most of the Steelers faithful have come to expect those plays to come from Heath Miller.

“I heard it,” said James. “It was a great feeling to make the catch. That didn’t take anything away from it. It was awesome. It was nice to get it out of the way early in the game and I didn’t have to worry about it. It’s always good to make productive plays, especially early in the game.”

James was active for the first time this season, stepping in with Matt Spaeth out with a knee injury. He has waited the first eight weeks of the season for the opportunity, learning, taking it all in and his patience paid off.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/James-It-was-a-great-feeling/ee0bef8b-7cc9-454f-b5d5-004cec90aca7

86WARD
11-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Anyone see how his blocking was?

ALLD
11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Jarvis James needs to paint his shoes gold to distinguish himself from the other TEs.

Steelman
11-10-2015, 02:23 PM

Pretty sure he blocked Aldon Smith 1-on-1 a couple of times at least. I thought he had a really good game overall, noticed him a few times aside from his TD catch. Spaeth's out again this week so we'll see how Jesse follows it up.

hawaiiansteeler
11-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Jesse James threw a great block on Martavis Bryant's TD catch and run...

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Yep

tube517
11-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Spaeth is out for the Stains game. Once he (Spaeth) is healthy, the Boykin rule will apply and Sandra Bullock's ex will sit on the pine again. :chuckle:

86WARD
11-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Run blocking good? I didn't pay attention to him.

hawaiiansteeler
11-11-2015, 11:21 PM
by Jim Wexell

BLOCKING BIGGER THAN TD

Jesse James, like Matt Spaeth eight years before him, scored a touchdown in his first NFL game. But the four-yard scoring play that gave the Steelers a 35-21 lead in the fourth quarter Sunday ranks third on James' list of personal favorite plays from the game.

"The 53-yard run by Delo was a great play," James said of DeAngelo Williams. On that play, James, the rookie tight end from Penn State, blew Ray-Ray Armstrong off the left side of the line.

"Martavis' TD was a good play, too," James said with a smile.

Of course, that was the play that stands out on tape. James took out two Raiders while acting as a one-man screen for Martavis Bryant, who used the open sideline for a 14-yard touchdown reception.

"Yeah, it was a great play," James said. "I got my hands on a guy and just kept my feet moving. Obviously Martavis made the rest happen."

James said he watched tape of the play in the tight ends room but heard nothing from his coach, James Daniel, other than "critiquing of technique," James said. "Obviously you can always improve in that area."

Did Daniel even tell James he had made a great play? Did he rewind the tape and make the others take notes?

"Uhhh, no," James said. "The standard is the standard. You've just got to go out there and play. It's expected."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1610513-steelers-notebook-one-cool-qb

86WARD
11-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Standard is the standard. He's learning fast. I have a feeling we may be pleasantly surprised by James in the upcoming years. I think he might wind up being a solid #2 TE for a long time.