PDA

View Full Version : Injury to Le'Veon Bell could set off unexpected outcome for Steelers

stillers4me
11-08-2015, 06:39 AM
History has shown that any number of the NFL’s top running backs have suffered debilitating injuries during the season, some with predictable and undesirable results.

There have also been occasions when a running back such as Terrell Davis, who had one of the greatest seasons in league history in 1998, suffers a gruesome knee injury and his team hardly misses a beat. And not just once, but twice.

Or when the 1984 Seattle Seahawks lost the AFC’s leading rusher from the previous season in the first game of the year and went on to have a better record without him because they rode the very productive passing arm of their quarterback, Dave Krieg.

That is where the Steelers find themselves now without Le’Veon Bell, who was leading the AFC in rushing, just as he did in 2014, when he sustained a season-ending knee injury a week ago against the Cincinnati Bengals. They know they have a proven veteran in DeAngelo Williams to help replace him, something that was reinforced when Bell missed the first two games of the season because of a league suspension............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/08/Injury-to-Le-Veon-Bell-could-set-off-unexpected-outcome-for-Steelers/stories/201511080207

ALLD
11-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Instead of forcing the ball the whatever prima donnas are left standing, simply take what the defense gives you and try to win the game.

stillers4me
11-08-2015, 07:54 AM

fansince'76
11-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah, but will he be the same?

Steel Peon
11-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Reminds me of that one time in '08 (Holy shit! That's 7 years ago!) when we lost Parker and Mendenhall to injury, and then had to rely on Mewelde Moore from early on til the end of the season. It's been so long, how did that season end?

lipps83
11-08-2015, 07:11 PM
I think the offense runs better without Bell. Yes, Bell is the better talent, but the offense as a whole is talented even without him. It seems to me that they try to force the ball to Bell too much. With Williams back the the passing game is the passing game and the run game is the run game. No passes setup strictly designed for Bell.

86WARD
11-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Williams had 170 yards against the number two rush D in the league. Cleveland is number 32.

GBMelBlount
11-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Williams had 170 yards against the number two rush D in the league. Cleveland is number 32.

Would I be the only one not surprised if our running game sputtered against the worst run defense in the nfl?

Shoes
11-08-2015, 07:27 PM
DeAngelo Williams is the best FA pick up made in a very long time.

tube517
11-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Would I be the only one not surprised if our running game sputtered against the worst run defense in the nfl?

Empty backfield on 3rd and 2 in a windy but close game but can't convert? :chuckle:

86WARD
11-08-2015, 08:32 PM

No. I would be surprised if they put up a similar effort as they did today. I expect maybe 125 yards combined out of the rushing side of things...I think the Browns are giving up 150/game.

Craic
11-09-2015, 12:11 AM

was watching the nfl channel tonight, and M. Faulk (I think it was him) made a very good point. Right now, with Ben out, the focus of the defense is stopping the run, that means even with DWill catching a few out of the backfield, it's not your concern. Your concern is to sell out against the run and make an unproven QB beat you through the air.

I'd be surprised if we get 100 yard against the Browns next week precisely for that reason.

Steeldude
11-09-2015, 01:15 AM

You wouldn't be alone. It will most likely happen.