PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Inactive List Could Have Future Implications

Shoes
11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
BY MATTHEW MARCZI (http://www.steelersdepot.com/author/matthew-marczi/) NOVEMBER 7, 2015 AT 08:00 AM
When the Pittsburgh Steelers take to the stadium on Sunday, I will be looking out for the names of two players who will have no business seeing the field, and the place I will be looking at is the inactive list.
More specifically, I am interested in seeing whose name is on the list, and whose isn’t. third-year Steelers quarterback Landry Jones has spent the past five games on the active roster, the first five such games of his career, but that has been the result of injuries.
For the first time since the third game of the season, the Steelers’ top two quarterbacks on the depth chart to begin the regular season—Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Vick—are both healthy. Roethlisberger returned last week after missing four games.
As for Vick, he took over for Roethlisberger late in the third quarter of the team’s third game, starting the next three games until he suffered a minor hamstring tear on a scramble early in the second half of that third start.
Jones started the next game before giving way to Roethlisberger’s return, but Vick had been out for the past two weeks, barely practicing and on the inactive list.
But many believe that Jones outperformed Vick during his approximately six quarters of playing time, even if he ended up throwing two interceptions and losing a fumble on a game-clinching sack against the Chiefs.
And the fact is that after that game he moved up to second-team on the team’s depth chart posted on their website, but it is unclear whether or not that listing was merely spurred on by injury or if it was an official shifting of the pecking order. After all, much about depth charts are to be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to seeing how it plays out on the field.
With Roethlisberger back and both Jones and Vick now healthy, we should finally have the answer to the backup quarterback question. Is Jones now the backup quarterback to Roethlisberger, or will Vick return to the role now that he is healthy?
The answer to the question could have implications for the future. If the Steelers anoint Vick the backup, it will be the less encouraging answer moving forward, as he figures to be riding out perhaps the last season of his career, having been signed only due to injury during training camp.
If the Steelers believe that Jones is ready to assume the backup role to Roethlisberger on a full-time basis, then it would certainly be a positive indication that the organization believes in him, and putting him on the active list over Vick would be a step in that direction.
Jones is far from a finished product, and may never be the best option as the backup, but he did manage the offense reasonably well, and he did have a first-time left tackle blocking for him. He clearly had the team’s support based on their comments after his NFL debut, likening him to Roethlisberger’s younger brother. That has to count for something—right?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/sunday-inactive-list-could-have-future-implications/

I could see Tomlin very easily placing Vick above Jones. If he does and I were Art II, I'd reverse that decision immediately.

NCSteeler
11-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Tomlin reminds me of Vermeil, in that he has favorites and places way too much respect on a long in the tooth veteran over a young prospect. Lots of teams around the league find young talent that surprises, Steelers not so much

86WARD
11-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Tomlin reminds me of Vermeil, in that he has favorites and places way too much respect on a long in the tooth veteran over a young prospect. Lots of teams around the league find young talent that surprises, Steelers not so much

That's actually a real good comparison.

steelreserve
11-07-2015, 12:20 PM
Before Cardinals game, I would've said it's crazy to have Jones above Vick. Having seen them both play, I'd now say the opposite.

I mean, Jones is no peach, but at least it looked like we had some semblance of a coherent offense with him, and only played the turtle half the time.

Steeldude
11-07-2015, 01:09 PM
If Tomlin uses Vick as the 2nd string backup then he is an idiot.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Tomlin has made many questionable personnel decisions. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Vick as the #2 QB this week. It would be stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

j-d-s
11-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Vick is still way better than Landry. Vick is 2-1 as starter and has committed no turnovers aside from an INT on a hail mary at halftime.

Plus, we could use Vick as wildcat QB now that Bell is gone. Vick is still a threat in the running game.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Vick is still way better than Landry. Vick is 2-1 as starter and has committed no turnovers aside from an INT on a hail mary at halftime.

Plus, we could use Vick as wildcat QB now that Bell is gone. Vick is still a threat in the running game.
No he isn't. Vick was absolutely terrible in those games. We won those games despite him.

I never want to see him on the field for the Steelers again.

ALLD
11-07-2015, 04:43 PM
Vick is done, send him out to pasture.

86WARD
11-07-2015, 06:12 PM

I'd disagree...

B&GFever
11-07-2015, 09:55 PM

you are kidding right ?

SteelMayhem72
11-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Vick needs to go back to the dog pound...no pun intended...lol

86WARD
11-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm looking forward to see what Tomlin does here. May tell you a lot about him pending this decision...

fansince'76
11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
I think if the last month has proven anything it's that we're pretty much fucked either way if Vick or Jones have to take the reins for more than a game or two...

Steeldude
11-07-2015, 11:37 PM

People still don't get it. Vick is not a QB. Do you remember the disaster Kordell?

Galax Steeler
11-08-2015, 05:49 AM

:toofunny:

86WARD
11-08-2015, 06:12 AM
People still don't get it. Vick is not a QB. Do you remember the disaster Kordell?

Kordell was better than Vick...lol. Not that that is saying much...

vasteeler
11-08-2015, 10:38 AM

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M3dd0fb8cf7927eef806e962d83b46bfdH2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=282&h=170

hawaiiansteeler
11-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Mike Vick is on the inactive list.

the others are: Matt Spaeth, Terence Garvin, Doran Grant, Isaiah Pead, L.T. Walton and Byron Stingily.

86WARD
11-08-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm kinda surprised...maybe even disappointed? Could Tomlin finally be getting "it"? What's next? Playing time for Boykin?

Drazo85
11-08-2015, 11:40 AM
If i'm not mistaken they listed Vick as out due to the injury. But thats Tomlins MO. Glad he is inactive one way or another.

tube517
11-08-2015, 04:31 PM