PDA

View Full Version : Good read on Cowher

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 12:18 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/bill-cowhers-new-normal-20151105?page=2

I'm happy for him. I'm not gonna lie, I was sick of him his last few years and his post-season fails. He finally stopped Marty/turtle ball in 2005. But he had so many fails in the playoffs up until then.

And I know his comments are true in this piece as I heard even at Three Rivers he walked with his head down and didn't make eye contact with people at the facility.

It sounds like he has really found happiness and I am glad he did.

Craic
11-06-2015, 12:40 PM
That's a good read. Thanks for posting it. Although, Cowher never did stop playing marty-ball. End of the third and the fourth quarters were all about running the football, especially in the playoffs.

hawaiiansteeler
11-06-2015, 12:45 PM
great read, thanks for sharing!

and I don't blame Cowher one bit for not returning to coaching...

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 01:14 PM
That's a good read. Thanks for posting it. Although, Cowher never did stop playing marty-ball. End of the third and the fourth quarters were all about running the football, especially in the playoffs.

Well, he did kind of stop with Marty ball in the 2005 run, but I think we can thank Ben for that as much as Cowher. I remember seeing/hearing Ben on the sidelines in those playoffs saying, "Don't handcuff me!" Then I recall Cowher saying into his headset, something along the same lines. They kept the pedal on the gas for most of the Cinci, Indy and Broncos' games. The old, non-Ben QB'd Cowher would have gone turtle ball and lost. But all those home AFCC game losses stung. SD, Denver, Pats.....those we some talented teams. But, the good news is he did win a ring, and that heals all, and he seems totally at peace now. Good for him. Everyone should find happiness.

- - - Updated - - -

great read, thanks for sharing!

and I don't blame Cowher one bit for not returning to coaching...

I really thought he would, but reading this, I understand why he hasn't. He probably has plenty of coin in the bank, enjoys what he is doing now, and has peace and tranquility.

86WARD
11-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Good story. I heard that about Cowher too...walking around with his head down.

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Good story. I heard that about Cowher too...walking around with his head down.

I heard that employees were told do not start a conversation with him unless he speaks to them first. When I heard that, I thought he was a megalomaniac, but since then, I realize he was just burning out and he did that to try to cope.

lipps83
11-06-2015, 03:51 PM
You all just don't understand that he only walked away from the Steelers to take his dream job with the Carolina Panthers....any year now....

tube517
11-06-2015, 03:58 PM
You all just don't understand that he only walked away from the Steelers to take his dream job with the C̶a̶r̶o̶l̶i̶n̶a̶ ̶P̶a̶n̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ New York Giants....any year now....

Fixed....:chuckle:

Mojouw
11-07-2015, 05:18 PM
To be fair, Cowher got burned bad prior to Ben when he tried to put the ball in his QB's hands in critical games. Odonnell against the Cowboys - did more to single handedly lose a SB than most. Stewart in an AFC Championship game or so. Maddox doing Maddox like things. The list goes on.

Only one he could trust was his RBs.

That being said, I hated turtle ball also.

hawaiiansteeler
11-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Bill Cowher On Why He Retired: "I Felt Like A Prisoner"

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Bill-Cowher-on-why-he-retired-I-felt-like-a-prisoner--40847451

tube517
11-08-2015, 08:04 AM
He didn't have a great relationship with Art II. I'm sure that played a part.