PDA

View Full Version : Steelers promote CB Doran Grant to active roster

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Steelers promote CB Doran Grant to active roster

Grant was a fourth-round draft selection in the 2015 NFL Draft.

The Steelers have promoted cornerback Doran Grant to the active roster, the team announced today.

Grant (5-10, 200), originally joined the team as a fourth-round (121st overall) draft selection in the 2015 NFL Draft. He started 30-of-54 games played at Ohio State and totaled 146 tackles, nine interceptions and 20 pass breakups. He has spent the first eight weeks of the season on the team’s Practice Squad.

To make room for Grant, the Steelers have released wide receiver Tyler Murphy.

http://www.steelers.com/news/transactions/article-1/Steelers-promote-CB-Doran-Grant-to-active-roster/9d63f695-cf23-4578-8a84-23aa9eeb5893

86WARD
11-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Above Boykin on the depth chart?

Rotorhead
11-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Wow just saw this, releasing Tyler Murphy though . . . I could think of a couple others to get the boot first. Wonder why the promotion of Grant? Did any of out CB's get hurt?

ALLD
11-04-2015, 03:52 PM
I would have kept Murphy to run back kickoffs.

86WARD
11-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Kept Murphy. Cut Vick.

Psycho Ward 86
11-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Grant will somehow still get more playing time than Boykin

Steeldude
11-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Grant will somehow still get more playing time than Boykin

You are correct. I am sure Grant is above Boykin on the depth chart already. Tomlin will make some excuse by saying they needed a larger CB with a different skill set, obviously.

Texasteel
11-04-2015, 04:53 PM
You are correct. I am sure Grant is above Boykin on the depth chart already. Tomlin will make some excuse by saying they needed a larger CB with a different skill set, obviously.

I have given up on seeing Boykin play much. I do like Grant though, thought he play. Probably a bit much to think he will make a big difference at this point. So much for playing experienced players.

steelreserve
11-04-2015, 06:44 PM
lol, anything to keep Boykin from seeing the field.

I am glad to see Grant get a shot, though. Even if it's not a major role, at least being in a few real games as a rookie will go a long way toward being ready to rock and roll next year. I don't think a lot of players have their big breakthrough farting around on the practice squad.

Count Steeler
11-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Above Boykin on the depth chart?

There is no room below Boykin on the depth chart. He is ground zero.

steelreserve
11-04-2015, 07:22 PM
There is no room below Boykin on the depth chart. He is ground zero.

No joke, you would literally have to be dead to be below Boykin. Even then - if all the rest of our CBs suffered heart attacks and died during a game, before they let Boykin in they'd probably put in Blake's corpse - literally carting it out on a wheelbarrow and dumping it on the field. 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, of course.

ALLD
11-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I think Boykin would get to play if an asteroid were about to hit the earth and the last game was Sunday.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:46 AM
So you think we as a whole are above Boykin on the depth chart? I could use the money and would be more than happy to accept a two way contract.

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac

Some NFL scouts thought CB Doran Grant, who was signed from practice squad today, could play safety. Keep that in mind

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/status/662114622401593344

teegre
11-05-2015, 02:32 PM
Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac

Some NFL scouts thought CB Doran Grant, who was signed from practice squad today, could play safety. Keep that in mind

That's right.

It would be great if he Wally Pipped his way into the starting FS spot...

TeeTee
11-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac

Good point, we are pretty thin there. At one point, they were playing Sharko, so we must be at the bottom of barrel.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 02:36 PM
That's right.

It would be great if he Wally Pipped his way into the starting FS spot...

Like.

Rotorhead
11-05-2015, 03:37 PM
If he plays before Shark at safety . . . I don't even know what to say.

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Doran Grant told the Trib that a couple teams were looking to sign him from practice squad indicating why he was promoted to 53 man

— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly_Trib) November 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

ALLD
11-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Remember everybody who said that the PS was a worthless dumping ground. Well, we have so many injuries and less production, so that makes ours and others' PS more valuable.

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Defensive Coordinator Keith Butler

Re: On the possibility of Doran Grant playing safety:

Yes. There is nothing closed on him. This is the guy’s first year and we need to take time, let him play in this system and see how he does before we make a decision on him.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Coordinators-Corner-Butler--Haley-on-Raiders/4b2d3cb6-0193-46c3-9af7-7a7ad1770977

86WARD
11-05-2015, 07:13 PM
It would be nice if this guy pans out in one way or another...

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 07:14 PM
GRANT HAPPY TO BE ON ‘53'

Rookie fourth-round pick Doran Grant went through his first practice as a member of the 53-man roster Thursday, a day after being promoted from the practice squad.

“It's something (the organization) decided, and it was a good deal for me and a credit to hard work,” Grant said. “But there's just more work to keep going.”

There had been speculation, fueled by the timing of the promotion and the fact the Steelers had two of their four safeties on the injury report, that Grant might help at that position. But he said Thursday he has not taken any reps at safety since he joined the Steelers.

The timing in all likelihood had more to do with another organization making a pitch to add him to its 53-man roster. Grant wouldn't confirm this, but he did acknowledge “a couple teams” were interested in him.

“But this deal (with the Steelers) is done. I'm definitely happy to be here, and I'm still working,” Grant said.

Incidentally, the player removed from the 53-man roster to make room for Grant — quarterback/receiver Tyler Murphy — was placed back on the practice squad 24 hours later after he cleared waivers.

http://triblive.com/mobile/9380664-96/jones-return-steelers?hideHeaders=Yes

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Steelers Still Not Ruling Out A Move To Safety For CB Doran Grant

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/steelers-still-not-ruling-out-a-move-to-safety-for-cb-doran-grant/

86WARD
11-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Wherever he can participate and excel...I'm all for it.

Rotorhead
11-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Lets just hope he can excel, no room for more DBs who can not cover!

Count Steeler
11-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Lets just hope he can excel, no room for more DBs who can not cover!

That is the whole problem with the secondary. Not very much coverage going on. Tackle the catch is the philosophy. Doesn't work from the 20 to 20 but it works when the field is small. That is why the defense gives up the yardage but not the points. And they found some turnover magic again.

86WARD
11-06-2015, 06:09 PM
If they can tackle...

tube517
01-19-2016, 10:32 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01/direction-steelers-take-with-doran-grant-could-impact-draft-plans/

Steeltreal
01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Thought the was released and picked up by the Cardinals. That wasn't him?

tube517
01-19-2016, 11:14 AM
Thought the was released and picked up by the Cardinals. That wasn't him?

No, Grant got promoted to the active roster from the practice squad. Cardinals probably were stalking him though. LOL.

steelreserve
01-19-2016, 12:37 PM
Pretty simple: If they use Grant as a cornerback, they need another safety. If they use him as a safety, they need another corner. Hopefully he's good enough to start at one of them or at least be the nickel guy, otherwise we need both.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that we pin our hopes on Grant and Golson, and skip both positions in the draft (in favor of more linebackers, no doubt) - then one of them is a dud or gets injured again, and we're back to this year's shitshow secondary. That's the one thing that could prevent us from being serious championship contenders; need to make sure it doesn't happen.

tube517
01-19-2016, 12:57 PM
Pretty simple: If they use Grant as a cornerback, they need another safety. If they use him as a safety, they need another corner. Hopefully he's good enough to start at one of them or at least be the nickel guy, otherwise we need both.

What I really hope doesn't happen is that we pin our hopes on Grant and Golson, and skip both positions in the draft (in favor of more linebackers, no doubt) - then one of them is a dud or gets injured again, and we're back to this year's shitshow secondary. That's the one thing that could prevent us from being serious championship contenders; need to make sure it doesn't happen.

Can't argue with that. The whole secondary except for Mitchell and the 2 rookies are all free agents.

steelreserve
01-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Can't argue with that. The whole secondary except for Mitchell and the 2 rookies are all free agents.

I'm 99% sure we bring back Cock since he's an exclusive-rights free agent ... we would be idiots not to bring back Golden and he should be cheap. My guess is we probably keep one of Gay or Boykin too, which means almost certainly it would be Gay, although I wish it was Boykin.

Ideally, we would just trash Blake and Allen and swap Grant and Golson in for them, plus add a high draft pick. Although in reality that draft pick will probably go to replace Boykin, and for some reason we'll bring back Blake and watch him fuck up all preseason until hopefully someone has the good sense to send him packing.