PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Steelers deserve their mediocrity

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Ron Cook: Steelers deserve their mediocrity

November 3, 2015
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/11/01/ca0,360,2600,2093/201511015pdSteelersSports09-1.jpg

You get what you deserve in sports. I feel comfortable taking that position this morning even after a weekend when Duke lost to Miami on an eight-lateral, 91-yard kickoff return that was botched so badly by the game officials that the ACC suspended the crew for two games. Lost in the postgame hysteria was the fact Miami was penalized an ACC-record 23 times for 194 yards and Duke was penalized five times for 41 yards. If I am Miami, I am not giving the game back.

But this is about the Steelers.

They thoroughly deserve their 4-4 record.

They have earned the designation of mediocre.

Injuries have been a significant part of that. You know all about them, from Maurkice Pouncey’s leg injury in the preseason to Le’Veon Bell’s knee injury Sunday. Not every team can survive losing its quarterback for 4˝ games. The Dallas Cowboys are 0-5 since Tony Romo went down. To the Steelers’ credit, they went 3-2 without Ben Roethlisberger if you count the win in St. Louis Sept. 27 when he played little more than half of the game.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2015/11/03/Ron-Cook-17/stories/201511030071

fansince'76
11-04-2015, 02:35 PM
You get what you deserve in sports.

Considering that the NFL currently has a team of serial cheaters that not only continues to skate on their bullshit, but are also defending SB champs and 7-0 so far this season, not necessarily...

tube517
11-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Ron Kook : Didn't read

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Dissolv
11-04-2015, 03:25 PM
I actually agree with the premise of the article. They had the horses in all of their games to win -- they just blew it. Yes, that includes the Pats game. That's really my big disappointment this year -- not the record, but that they really put sad product onto the field, when it was clear that they have the potential to win without Ben, and dominate with him.

Injuries matter of course, but they've got to suck it up and get it together, or the year really is done.

Dissolv

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Cook better watch what he writes or he may never again get invited to any of Tomlin's future pressers...

teegre
11-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Cook better watch what he writes or he may never again get invited to any of Tomlin's future pressers...

It's okay... Cook moonlights as an independent retailer for Oakley.

tube517
11-04-2015, 06:39 PM
Cook better watch what he writes or he may never again get invited to any of Tomlin (the Rooney robot)'s future pressers...

Fixed. :chuckle:

TeeTee
11-04-2015, 07:05 PM

He'd get more in trouble if he asked Cool Shades why we would trade for Boink and never use him AND follow up questions after Tomlin gave him a non-answer.

StillCurtains
11-04-2015, 10:33 PM
I actually agree with the premise of the article. They had the horses in all of their games to win -- they just blew it. Yes, that includes the Pats game. That's really my big disappointment this year -- not the record, but that they really put sad product onto the field, when it was clear that they have the potential to win without Ben, and dominate with him.

Injuries matter of course, but they've got to suck it up and get it together, or the year really is done.

Dissolv

I don't agree with this article. We all know that Tomlin makes some questionable decisions, but this team was hit with an absolute hurricane. How can anyone say this is deserving with the massive amount of guys that we've had go down through the course of this season and even in the pre season?

Constant roster moves are needing to be made on a weekly basis. Lose Suisham, sign Hartley, lose Hartley and trade for Scobee. I thought at the time that the Scobee deal was a good move because he was a decent kicker. Then Scobee gets here and starts kicking like he's me out there. I would have never guessed it. They cut him and now pick up Boswell who is so far so good. Kickers don't grow on trees.

This is just one position that they've had to scramble around for. The amount of players that have gone down have been highly significant. You just can't plug and play at every single position and that's what this team has been forced to do.

Were there games that we've had in the pocket? Yes! Have our coaches made some bad play calling in some of them? Yes! New England was virtually healthy against us while we had a defense that didn't have experience together all of training camp with a new coordinator, all the while being without Bell, Bryant and Pouncey with Scobee missing 2 FG's.

It's incredible that we were even in position to win that game under those circumstances all the while only losing by 7 and holding them to their season low 28 points.
We've played the top offenses in the league while being severely shorthanded and were in every game holding them all to their lowest point totals.

How many other teams in this league could say they would fare that well being as snake bitten as the Steelers have been this year? This includes the so called mighty Patriots as well.
So while our coaches have made some questionable in game decisions, what has to be noted is the fantastic job they have done that had us in position to win every single game this year.

With all things considered, I think that this is hands down the best team in football if they can get all of their pieces back, the way this team has fought with true grit through adversity.

Mojouw
11-04-2015, 10:48 PM
I don't agree with this article. We all know that Tomlin makes some questionable decisions, but this team was hit with an absolute hurricane. How can anyone say this is deserving with the massive amount of guys that we've had go down through the course of this season and even in the pre season?

Constant roster moves are needing to be made on a weekly basis. Lose Suisham, sign Hartley, lose Hartley and trade for Scobee. I thought at the time that the Scobee deal was a good move because he was a decent kicker. Then Scobee gets here and starts kicking like he's me out there. I would have never guessed it. They cut him and now pick up Boswell who is so far so good. Kickers don't grow on trees.

This is just one position that they've had to scramble around for. The amount of players that have gone down have been highly significant. You just can't plug and play at every single position and that's what this team has been forced to do.

Were there games that we've had in the pocket? Yes! Have our coaches made some bad play calling in some of them? Yes! New England was virtually healthy against us while we had a defense that didn't have experience together all of training camp with a new coordinator, all the while being without Bell, Bryant and Pouncey with Scobee missing 2 FG's.

It's incredible that we were even in position to win that game under those circumstances all the while only losing by 7 and holding them to their season low 28 points.
We've played the top offenses in the league while being severely shorthanded and were in every game holding them all to their lowest point totals.

How many other teams in this league could say they would fare that well being as snake bitten as the Steelers have been this year? This includes the so called mighty Patriots as well.
So while our coaches have made some questionable in game decisions, what has to be noted is the fantastic job they have done that had us in position to win every single game this year.

With all things considered, I think that this is hands down the best team in football if they can get all of their pieces back, the way this team has fought with true grit through adversity.

Post of the year! IF the Steelers make the play-offs - just hand Tomlin and company some coaching awards.

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 11:57 AM

congratulations StillCurtains, this is a very well thought out and articulate post.

I have to give you credit, you've changed your style and come a very long way in just a short period of time. keep up the good work! :drink:

TeeTee
11-05-2015, 12:06 PM
IDK, other teams have overcome similar obstacles and managed to still thrive. Look at NE: Their star RB wasn't even on a team last year. The OL has two rookies and a journeyman. Their WR unit is mostly made up of short white guys. And yet they sit at 7-0. What's the difference? Coaching staff, mostly.

Mojouw
11-05-2015, 12:13 PM
IDK, other teams have overcome similar obstacles and managed to still thrive. Look at NE: Their star RB wasn't even on a team last year. The OL has two rookies and a journeyman. Their WR unit is mostly made up of short white guys. And yet they sit at 7-0. What's the difference? Coaching staff, mostly.

Or the most accurate QB of his generation and a totally uncoverable robotic man-beast masquerading as a TE. And cheating. There will always be the cheating.

Drazo85
11-05-2015, 03:52 PM
Ron Cook deserves mediocrity.

StillCurtains
11-07-2015, 08:20 PM
congratulations StillCurtains, this is a very well thought out and articulate post.

I have to give you credit, you've changed your style and come a very long way in just a short period of time. keep up the good work! :drink:

Thanks man! The main problem is I feel that there was just a misunderstanding between you and I and several other posters. Mainly the Boykin thread. It really wasn't a thread that I started to critcize guys from posting about him. It was basically a frustration thread on my part. Seeing all the threads about him and him not seeing the field had me frustrated with the coaching staff to no end if that makes sense. It's all good though. I'm not an expert but I just analyze the things that I feel I see the best of my ability as you guys do.

Hopefully starting tomorrow we can get things going. We will get some guys back tomorrow. If we can get most of our guys back and stay healthy the rest of the way while winning games, we will win this thing. We just need to get back the continuity and chemistry.

The thing about this team is that they are much different than the teams of the past few years. They don't seem to get complacent. They play with an edge and believe they can win despite who they are playing and who they have available on the field.

Let's hope we can have better luck in the second half of the season starting tomorrow to show everyone who they really are.

StillCurtains
11-07-2015, 08:49 PM
Or the most accurate QB of his generation and a totally uncoverable robotic man-beast masquerading as a TE. And cheating. There will always be the cheating.

As far as this year I don't recall Brady missing 4 games. With Brady out, I don't recall them being forced to find another backup QB because Garropalo is gone for the year. I don't recall them losing their starting left tackle for the year. I don't recall them losing their pro bowl center for at least 8 and may or may not return.

I don't recall them losing Blount for the first 2 games, although he missed the first, just to lose him for the rest of the season. I don't recall them losing their starting kicker for the season, then sign another just to lose him, then trade for a good vet just to lose games for you and have to cut him, and sign a fourth guy.

I don't recall them missing their starting ILB for 4 games. I don't recall them missing their starting OLB for 1 game. I don't recall them missing their starting DT for 2 games. I don't recall them missing their starting DE for 3 games. I don't recall them losing McCourty for 4 games.

That's alot to me! The only thing they really have to compare is having Lafell out a good period of time who they now have back in comparison to Bryant missing 5.

Their lack of talent in the weapons they have besides Gronk have nothing to do with superior coaching. It's more to do with using Edelman and Amendola to their strengths as well as their availability. When your weapons are consistently on the field, it gives you constant continuity and chemistry as a unit.

This is something that Ben and the Steeler offense have yet to have the opportunity to have this season.

I'm glad you can agree with how this article is so far off the mark.

fansince'76
11-07-2015, 10:52 PM
As far as this year I don't recall Brady missing 4 games. With Brady out, I don't recall them being forced to find another backup QB because Garropalo is gone for the year. I don't recall them losing their starting left tackle for the year. I don't recall them losing their pro bowl center for at least 8 and may or may not return.

I don't recall them losing Blount for the first 2 games, although he missed the first, just to lose him for the rest of the season. I don't recall them losing their starting kicker for the season, then sign another just to lose him, then trade for a good vet just to lose games for you and have to cut him, and sign a fourth guy.

I don't recall them missing their starting ILB for 4 games. I don't recall them missing their starting OLB for 1 game. I don't recall them missing their starting DT for 2 games. I don't recall them missing their starting DE for 3 games. I don't recall them losing McCourty for 4 games.

That's alot to me! The only thing they really have to compare is having Lafell out a good period of time who they now have back in comparison to Bryant missing 5.

Their lack of talent in the weapons they have besides Gronk have nothing to do with superior coaching. It's more to do with using Edelman and Amendola to their strengths as well as their availability. When your weapons are consistently on the field, it gives you constant continuity and chemistry as a unit.

This is something that Ben and the Steeler offense have yet to have the opportunity to have this season.

Exactly. It helps the cause immensely when you're not losing 1-2 starters a week with many being season-ending injuries, and your team isn't a damn M.A.S.H. unit. And despite all the other injuries, if Ben doesn't go down during the Rams game, we're probably 7-1 right now and at the very worst 6-2. It's a QB-driven league and you're just not going to be able to stack wins with guys like Vick and Landry Jones under center.

Mojouw
11-08-2015, 10:25 AM

All too true. Plus I'm tired of this whole the Patriots win with coaching and these super scrappy wide receivers. Except that just isn't true. Every time they have had to rely on ONLY those scrappy little WRs and have not had a deep threat either due to injury to Gronk or being a murderous piece of crap (Hernandez) or just simply counting on the wrong guys (Tompkins, Dobson, or whatever totally overdrafted bust of a WR it was that year) they Pats have been totally beatable on offense.

Like any other offense/QB - you have to have a vertical threat in order to back the defense off the LOS and give the rest of the offense room to work. Take that away and there will be struggles and losses. Plus, I would love to see what they looked like w/out Brady at the controls.