PDA

View Full Version : Credit Where Credit is Due and Other Positives

Mojouw
11-04-2015, 11:46 AM
Things are so damn somber and negative around here lately - you pessimistic SOB's. :chuckle:

Thought I would spin things the other way. Here are some positives and where it seems the credit for them lies based on what I can read on the interwebs.

1. The Steelers took a chance and brought in the "Giant". He was an athlete and clearly amazing person who lacked a true position. By all accounts Tomlin (yes that Tomlin) saw something in him and advocated to bring him in. Munchak must have agreed. Now for the cost of street free agent - the Steelers have a passable LT, maybe more. I did not see the game on Sunday, but everything I read seemed to indicate Villenueva did good. Something to look forward to as the season goes on. If this guy can continue to improve his mental and technical game, he has all the physical attributes to dominate.

2. The offensive line in general. Somehow the Steelers strategy of getting high end interior talent and surrounding it with the pick of the litter from second tier tackle prospects and hoping it works out - actually worked out. Based on where they typically draft - it actually made sense as a utilization of resources (best guard center from the class versus the 6th best tackle, etc) but did anyone think that Gilbert, Beachum, and Villenueva where the solution to tackle situation? I certainly didn't. It seems the credit goes to Munchak, Colbert, and Tomlin on this one.

3. The back-up RB situation was a disaster from the word "go" last season. The team actually learned something and has ensured that it doesn't happen again. The Steelers are not betting on street free agents and never were guys to back-up Bell. Deangelo Willilams and Jordan Todman have proven they can get things done in the NFL. Are either in Bell's league - of course not. For what it is worth, Pead was once viewed as an exciting draft prospect. I do not know the reason, but he never distinguished himself in a crowded Rams backfield. Hopefully he can work out 25-50% as well as the last Rams running back the Steelers picked up. Colbert and Tomlin must have learned their lesson. Maybe Haley had a hand as well?

4. Martavis Bryant. Just. Just - goodness. If this kid can stay sober and work hard - there has never been a Steelers WR in my lifetime with his potential. Lipps, Ward, Burress, Wallace, AB, Thigpen, etc - he can be better than them all. Whoever is in charge of scouting WRs - give the man a place in the Steelers Ring of Honor or whatever. The stretch they have had in the last 15 years is incredible. 19 WRs taken (counting Archer as one). 9 busted out - these are the Dallas Bakers and Justin Browns of the world. 8 developed in to above average or better starters - Wheaton at the low end and AB at the top. ! unknown - Coates. And one mini-runt - Archer. Not bad. A quick search through Pro Football Reference and I can't find anyone else doing it even close at the position - let alone any better.

5. Butler for Lebeau. The switch - however it went down and I suspect we will never really know - took some balls. Anyone want to argue it hasn't worked out? Lebeau is one of the greatest defensive minds ever to walk an NFL sideline, but something wasn't working anymore. Butler is taking almost the same players and getting more out of them. Tomlin and Colbert deserve some credit here - as well as Butler for bringing his best fastball when finally given his shot.

6. The DL. Mitchell is a damn savant. Yes the depth is thin to non-existent, but look at the front-line talent - Heyward, Tuitt, McCullers, and McClendon. I can think of plenty of 3-4 teams that don't employ JJ Watt that would kill for a chance to employ any 2 of those guys - let alone all of them. Not certain where the credit goes for the strategy and the drafting, but Mitchell is molding these guys into a great front wall.

7. Shazier. Considering he is basically still a rookie - WOW. His speed and instincts are eye-popping. When he puts it all together and hopefully stays healthy - well the LB tradition is in good hands.

That's all I got for now. Anyone else have thoughts?

Rotorhead
11-04-2015, 12:03 PM
DW was probably the best FA signing in last several years (at least). Our Def has a very good core right now, ready to be dominant again soon (just a CB and DL depth away from that now). If Vill continues his improvement I feel bad for Beachum, as he will not be around next season. I always thought McClendon would make a better DE then a NT, hopefully McCullers grows enough to start at NT next season, then we could have Tuitt, Heyward and McClendon on passing downs, all rushing the QB and McCullers on running downs and heavy packages to stop the run. That would be ideal to me. The biggest positive - our ILBs are all starter material, maybe we can make a trade with 1 to get more draft picks or a solid CB . . .

TeeTee
11-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Nice post. We need Tuitt back. Once again we were told the injury was minor and yet the guy missed 2 games already.

B&GFever
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Pead was once viewed as an exciting draft prospect. I do not know the reason, but he never distinguished himself in a crowded Rams backfield.[/B] Hopefully he can work out 25-50% as well as the last Rams running back the Steelers picked up. Colbert and Tomlin must have learned their lesson. Maybe Haley had a hand as well?

he did distinguish himself 19 career caries and 3 fumbles will distinguish you pretty well in this league

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
being able to pick up Ross Cockrell and Chris Boswell as free agents has been nice too, although we all wish we didn't have to squander our 6th round pick on Scobee first.

I'm just going to pretend we chose Cockrell in the 3rd round of the 2014 Draft instead of Dri Archer...there, I feel better already! :thumbsup:

Shoes
11-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Miller continues to be a solid dependable rock. I really thought this would be his last year but I think he'll be playing next season. DHB has really improved his game and Landry Jones has been a nice surprise. Good thread Mojouw.

teegre
11-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Once again we were told the injury was minor and yet the guy missed 2 games already.

In a thread about positivity... the third post is a negative one.

Ugh.

tube517
11-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Agree with everything Moj. Thanks for keeping it positive and real.

If I were to add anything it is sign Munchak to a long long long term deal. I know that won't happen. But, I hope he stays a while.

Count Steeler
11-04-2015, 06:41 PM
In a 4-4 season, it is easier to focus on why we lost than on why we won. It is frustrating because of the potential on this team. Injuries have played too big a factor and may continue to do so.

However, there are positives on this team and there is certainly bright hope for the next season or 2.

Good thread M.

TeeTee
11-04-2015, 07:00 PM
In a thread about positivity... the third post is a negative one.

Ugh.

Oh, and you somehow omitted this part of my post.

Nice post.

I'm sure you have no agenda or anything. Ugggg

teegre
11-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Oh, and you somehow omitted this part of my post.

I'm sure you have no agenda or anything. Ugggg

You preempted your derision. Good for you. :thumbsup:

That's like someone saying to you:

"Hello, good to see that you are posting here today... we needed our troll quota filled."

steelreserve
11-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I would add Heyward-Bey to the list as a pleasant surprise. He did way better than I expected filling in for the third receiver job - better than Wheaton, if you ask me.

Wheaton has been a little bit of a letdown on the other hand - this was supposed to be his make-or-break year, and other than the big play in the Chargers game, I've barely noticed him out there.

I could not have imagined Boswell turning out this well for us; all indications were that he was a shaky college kicker with no reason to do better in the pros. Boy did he prove me wrong. Do we have a kicker controversy looming?

Villanueva has been huge as a stand-in, and I agree, the whole cobbled-together OL is doing an admirable job. DeCastro, three UDFAs, and a guy who struggled like crazy his first few years has turned into a solid unit. Munchak needs to be retained no matter what the cost.

Mojouw
11-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Agree with everyone here that Munchak has made an almost incalculable difference. Good on the Steelers doing whatever was needed to get him into town. Now let's hope they can keep him!

StillCurtains
11-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Things are so damn somber and negative around here lately - you pessimistic SOB's. :chuckle:

Thought I would spin things the other way. Here are some positives and where it seems the credit for them lies based on what I can read on the interwebs.

1. The Steelers took a chance and brought in the "Giant". He was an athlete and clearly amazing person who lacked a true position. By all accounts Tomlin (yes that Tomlin) saw something in him and advocated to bring him in. Munchak must have agreed. Now for the cost of street free agent - the Steelers have a passable LT, maybe more. I did not see the game on Sunday, but everything I read seemed to indicate Villenueva did good. Something to look forward to as the season goes on. If this guy can continue to improve his mental and technical game, he has all the physical attributes to dominate.

2. The offensive line in general. Somehow the Steelers strategy of getting high end interior talent and surrounding it with the pick of the litter from second tier tackle prospects and hoping it works out - actually worked out. Based on where they typically draft - it actually made sense as a utilization of resources (best guard center from the class versus the 6th best tackle, etc) but did anyone think that Gilbert, Beachum, and Villenueva where the solution to tackle situation? I certainly didn't. It seems the credit goes to Munchak, Colbert, and Tomlin on this one.

3. The back-up RB situation was a disaster from the word "go" last season. The team actually learned something and has ensured that it doesn't happen again. The Steelers are not betting on street free agents and never were guys to back-up Bell. Deangelo Willilams and Jordan Todman have proven they can get things done in the NFL. Are either in Bell's league - of course not. For what it is worth, Pead was once viewed as an exciting draft prospect. I do not know the reason, but he never distinguished himself in a crowded Rams backfield. Hopefully he can work out 25-50% as well as the last Rams running back the Steelers picked up. Colbert and Tomlin must have learned their lesson. Maybe Haley had a hand as well?

4. Martavis Bryant. Just. Just - goodness. If this kid can stay sober and work hard - there has never been a Steelers WR in my lifetime with his potential. Lipps, Ward, Burress, Wallace, AB, Thigpen, etc - he can be better than them all. Whoever is in charge of scouting WRs - give the man a place in the Steelers Ring of Honor or whatever. The stretch they have had in the last 15 years is incredible. 19 WRs taken (counting Archer as one). 9 busted out - these are the Dallas Bakers and Justin Browns of the world. 8 developed in to above average or better starters - Wheaton at the low end and AB at the top. ! unknown - Coates. And one mini-runt - Archer. Not bad. A quick search through Pro Football Reference and I can't find anyone else doing it even close at the position - let alone any better.

5. Butler for Lebeau. The switch - however it went down and I suspect we will never really know - took some balls. Anyone want to argue it hasn't worked out? Lebeau is one of the greatest defensive minds ever to walk an NFL sideline, but something wasn't working anymore. Butler is taking almost the same players and getting more out of them. Tomlin and Colbert deserve some credit here - as well as Butler for bringing his best fastball when finally given his shot.

6. The DL. Mitchell is a damn savant. Yes the depth is thin to non-existent, but look at the front-line talent - Heyward, Tuitt, McCullers, and McClendon. I can think of plenty of 3-4 teams that don't employ JJ Watt that would kill for a chance to employ any 2 of those guys - let alone all of them. Not certain where the credit goes for the strategy and the drafting, but Mitchell is molding these guys into a great front wall.

7. Shazier. Considering he is basically still a rookie - WOW. His speed and instincts are eye-popping. When he puts it all together and hopefully stays healthy - well the LB tradition is in good hands.

That's all I got for now. Anyone else have thoughts?

The coaches have made some bad in game decisions and play calls this season, and besides picking up Boykin and not playing him, they have made some very nice acquisitions and a stellar overall coaching job. All of the suspensions and injuries have been outright atrocious. For this team to have been in every game through all of it is amazing! This is a gritty mentally tough team that has no fear of walking through a hurricane.

If this team's luck can turn in the second half of this season and get their key players back, they will be an absolute awakened sleeping giant!

86WARD
11-05-2015, 04:22 AM
The defense has been the biggest positive in my book. This was a unit that most all of us thought would be the downfall of this team. Go back to all the posts that the Steelers would have to score 35-40 points a game to win, every game would be a shoot out. This defense and a lot of credit to Butler, has been the heart of this team through 8 games. There were a lot of us that weren't too keen on the Butler Signing either. Through 8 games...eating crow.

For me, that's the biggest positive. I still think the D needs some backend help,and I hope Tomlin and Colbert see that. If the offense can get rolling 2014 style, this team could be dangerous and they could wind up winning 10, 11, 12 games...

teegre
11-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Villanueva is my favorite story. Period.

I'd like to add... BUD DUPREE.

Bud is a first round pick; so, he's not really a surprise... but, he's still a positive (my second-favorite positive of the season). Regardless, I think that we are seeing the beginnings of a truly special player.

He only played one year of OLB (his last season at Kentucky); so, he is still learning the position. Thus, there are times when you can see him make "rookie" mistakes. But, you can also see that once he learns the position, he's going to be flat-out amazing.

He's not Troy. (No one ever will be.) But, the way that he sort of is "getting by" on athleticism reminds me of Troy early on. You could see that once Troy "got it", he was going to be great. Likewise, once Dupree "gets it", he's going to be awesome.

You can't teach his size & speed... and, Mike Mamula proved that size & speed don't necessarily translate to being a good player. Dupree has freakish size & speed IN ADDITION TO the skills necessary to succeed. His first step.. wow!!! His sudden burst... amazing!!! Personally, I love how he wraps with one arm (secures the tackle) and then is going for the strip with the other arm; he is a "splash play" in the making.

tube517
11-05-2015, 11:50 AM

I'd like to add... BUD DUPREE.

Bud is a first round pick; so, he's not really a surprise... but, he's still a positive (my second-favorite positive of the season). Regardless, I think that we are seeing the beginnings of a truly special player.

He only played one year of OLB (his last season at Kentucky); so, he is still learning the position. Thus, there are times when you can see him make "rookie" mistakes. But, you can also see that once he learns the position, he's going to be flat-out amazing.

He's not Troy. (No one ever will be.) But, the way that he sort of is "getting by" on athleticism reminds me of Troy early on. You could see that once Troy "got it", he was going to be great. Likewise, once Dupree "gets it", he's going to be awesome.

You can't teach his size & speed... and, Mike Mamula proved that size & speed don't necessarily translate to being a good player. Dupree has freakish size & speed IN ADDITION TO the skills necessary to succeed. His first step.. wow!!! His sudden burst... amazing!!! Personally, I love how he wraps with one arm (secures the tackle) and then is going for the strip with the other arm; he is a "splash play" in the making.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but some thought he was worthless for this year???

86WARD
11-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Probably my favorite as well...

TeeTee
11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but some thought he was worthless for this year???

No, get it straight. I said both Vill and Dupree would offer nothing for this season. :sofunny:

Count Steeler
11-05-2015, 06:25 PM
Dri Archer got cut!!!!!

86WARD
11-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Dri Archer got cut!!!!!

THought the same thing. Major plus in my book.