PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Version 2010 - Whats your September Impression?

Slanted August
09-04-2010, 05:09 PM
When looking from top to bottom I am stoked about the mix of vets/rooks in all three phases. I know this is not a fantasy video game but my only nitpick concerns are

Lack of a tall physical receiver. Steelers have tried Walter Young, Larry Nance, Dallas Baker, Limas Sweed, Micah Rucker and still have not given Ben that Plex presence.
Thin on DL. Maybe Harris, Mclendon, Worthington will last on the PS.
Vet Depth @ RB... One injury to Mendy or Moore and it will get interesting. Add the fact the Red has asthma and always seems out of breath after a couple plays. Hopefully we dont have to overuse him early in the Season and luckilly we dont play the Jags in Jacksonville. I think with the addition of Pouncey Rashard should be able to get more 3rd/4th & 1/ goal line conversions.
Special Teams. - I think chemistry will take time and because of that we may give up some field position early in the season until the gunners get comfortable and the Rooks have the game slow down for them.
Does anyone know by position how many players Tomlin likes to dress on Gameday?

SteelerSal
09-04-2010, 05:19 PM
3.Vet Depth @ RB... One injury to Mendy or Moore and it will get interesting. Add the fact the Red has asthma and always seems out of breath after a couple plays. Hopefully we dont have to overuse him early in the Season and luckilly we dont play the Jags in Jacksonville. I think with the addition of Pouncey Rashard should be able to get more 3rd/4th & 1/ goal line conversions.

Bettis had asthma and that did not seem to be a problem.:thumbsup:

tube517
09-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Some good points here.

But, they have won 2 SB's w/out a tall "physical" WR. As long as they can get open and catch, we'll be fine for now and the future. I'm not worried about this group except for experience. But I like them for the future. 3 vets and 3 young guys is a good mix.

The Duke
09-04-2010, 05:39 PM
You dont need no tall receiver when you have hines ward

That is all the physical you need

I am dissapointed harris nor worthington made the team though. Maybe it was because of Lefty's injury? Not sure, but I hope they land on the PS. Worthington will likely, harris could go to carolina again....

polamalubeast
09-04-2010, 05:44 PM
The WR of the steelers are not tall, but they are very fast!

I am confident they will do a lot of big plays for us!

Steeltreal
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Pouncey alone isnt going to solve short yardage conversions. Its just going to take competent play calling by Arians like using Legursky or Redman at FB and NOT running Memo He is strictly a pass catcher.

On defense, 3rd downs its time for Timmons to STAY in the game. Im Farrior is not the same guy, i know he led in tackles last year but it can easily be swapped with Timmons and he creates more havoc.

Steeldude
09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Lack of a tall physical receiver. Steelers have tried Walter Young, Larry Nance, Dallas Baker, Limas Sweed, Micah Rucker and still have not given Ben that Plex presence.

burress didn't play tall. he had horrible fundamentals at catching the ball at it's high point.

vader29
09-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Don't forget Heath Miller, he is our tall and physical receiver. Looking for a big year from him.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:49 PM
We don't need a big WR. Our group of WRs is very good. I also like our RBs. Our OL is still the problem. We've done a poor job of drafting OL in the past few years with Pouncey being the exception.