PDA

View Full Version : Weddle?

Rotorhead
11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
I am reading the Bolts are shopping Weddle . . . is this a possibility, would immediately improve our secondary for the next several years. Teegre, what are your thoughts since you probably see more San Diego games than anyone else on here? Wonder if we will even give it a try . . .

tube517
11-03-2015, 11:15 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/13577/trading-eric-weddle-to-steelers-makes-some-sense

Pure speculation by Schefter

86WARD
11-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Why would they trade for Weddle when they could improve on another part of the team? Mitchell and Golden haven't been terrible.

I mean they have Dri Archer to use as trade bait...I say go get Matt Forte...lol.

Rotorhead
11-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Yeah I read that, but BS Report also posted an article saying SD was shopping Weddle . . . one can hope I guess.

Last year of his contract, apparently doesn't want to return, maybe they try to get something for him before the pull a Steelers and let him walk for nothing.

tube517
11-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Weddle's middle name is Boykin so that rules out that. :chuckle:

Steelman
11-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Sounds like Florio and Co. were wrong as usual: http://nfltraderumors.co/chargers-reportedly-fielding-trade-offers-for-s-eric-weddle/

Even if he was on table, I know he's pretty good but to be honest I've never been super impressed by Weddle. Maybe I just haven't seem him play much. But aside from that, he's 30 years old and suffered a groin injury a couple of weeks ago. Sound familiar? Not sure I'd want him as a one-year rental. Mitchell's finally playing well and Golden has been capable behind W. Allen.

We DO need desperately need DL depth. And really our only trading chip (if you can even call it that) is Shamarko. SD wouldn't take Shamarko for Weddle, but somebody else might take him for a backup lineman.

steelreserve
11-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Nothing you do right now is going to dramatically improve the secondary. If a guy like Weddle is available in the offseason and we think he'd help, then try to sign him then for a decent price. At safety, really I think we'd just be looking for depth, as Allen is probably coming up on the end of his career very soon but Golden has taken over quite well so far.

DL depth is absolutely our weak link at the moment, and for fuck's sake, we need a nose tackle. Either get one or move to a straight-up 2-5-4.

I wouldn't trade Shamarko mid-season, because behind him right now we have absolutely nothing. We need to at least keep the safety depth we have.

teegre
11-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I am reading the Bolts are shopping Weddle . . . is this a possibility, would immediately improve our secondary for the next several years. Teegre, what are your thoughts since you probably see more San Diego games than anyone else on here? Wonder if we will even give it a try . . .

I was talking to hawaiiansteeler about this, a few weeks back.

Here's as the truncated version:

-Weddle wants out of San Diego.

-When he talks to the media, his tone is melancholy.

-He has said that the defense has quit.

-Even on a bad defense, he still is able to make plays.

I know that Mitchell & Golden have played better (Golden might start next season). And, there are bigger needs. But, but, but... if you surround Weddle with ANY kind of talent, he is insanely good... All-Pro good. Plus, he can play SS or FS and plays some CB. He makes any secondary better.

Trade. For. Him.

hawaiiansteeler
11-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I was talking to hawaiiansteeler about this, a few weeks back.

Here's as the truncated version:

-Weddle wants out of San Diego.

-When he talks to the media, his tone is melancholy.

-He has said that the defense has quit.

-Even on a bad defense, he still is able to make plays.

I know that Mitchell & Golden have played better (Golden might start next season). And, there are bigger needs. But, but, but... if you surround Weddle with ANY kind of talent, he is insanely good... All-Pro good. Plus, he can play SS or FS and plays some CB. He makes any secondary better.

Trade. For. Him.

how high of a draft pick would you be willing to give up for Weddle?

teegre
11-03-2015, 01:44 PM
how high of a draft pick would you be willing to give up for Weddle?

In all seriousness: Brandon Boykin.

Swap disgruntled players.

steelreserve
11-03-2015, 01:45 PM

That's probably the best idea I've heard all day. Not like we're gaining anything by having Boykin sit on the bench until his contract runs out.

hawaiiansteeler
11-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Q. Acknowledging that Trades in the NFL are always difficult. Is there any indication that the Steelers have any interest in either being buyers or sellers in the next few hours?

Ed Bouchette: Good lord, have you not seen the results of their trades lately?

Today's trading deadline of 4 p.m. cannot come soon enough to protect the Steelers from themselves....

They should lock their trade-makers in a room without a phone and not let them out until 4:01 p.m. today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

SteelerFanInStl
11-03-2015, 04:43 PM

They already have a Boykin clone in Verrett.

- - - Updated - - -

Trade. For. Him.

I agree, Weddle is an oustanding player. I'd take him any day. Mitchell is playing "better" but overall he still just isn't that good. He's a big hitter but a liability in coverage. I've actually been impressed by Golden. He's played well. I'm not sure if he's starting material though.

Hopefully we'll try to sign Weddle in the offseason. I won't hold my breath though.

teegre
11-03-2015, 05:40 PM
They already have a Boykin clone in Verrett.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, Weddle is an oustanding player. I'd take him any day. Mitchell is playing "better" but overall he still just isn't that good. He's a big hitter but a liability in coverage. I've actually been impressed by Golden. He's played well. I'm not sure if he's starting material though.

Hopefully we'll try to sign Weddle in the offseason. I won't hold my breath though.

Re: BOYKIN
The thing is, San Diego needs another CB... because, Brandon Flowers is horrible, and Jason Verrett is routinely unavailable.

Re: MITCHELL & GOLDEN
Weddle would be an immediate upgrade over either of them.. I'm just not sure that the Steelers view safety is such a glaring need, that they'll even address it in the draft (let alone trading for Weddle).

86WARD
11-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I heard reports today that there have been no discussions or thoughts to move Weddle.

Rotorhead
11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Ah well, was a thought anyway. I doubt we will make any moves, but I like Teegre's idea of trading Boykin, if we are not going to play him may as well move him and try and get someone that may play for the draft pick we lost.