PDA

View Full Version : The season has changed dramatically

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Looking at the remainder of the season, we are looking at losing four more games.

http://www.steelers.com/schedule-and-events/season-schedule.html

We sit at 4-4, having lost two in a row.

We will probably lose to the Raiders, Denver, Seattle and lose at least one game to the reminder Browns, Cinci or Ravens games.

And looking at the upcoming schedule, and with Bell being out for the season, we are looking like an 8-8 team. That will make us 8-8 three out of the last four seasons. But Cool Shades is a great coach?

Losing your probowl back or not, you don't put up a mere 10 points, at home mind you, and expect to win. Your D holds a team to 16 points, and you lose? Pathetic.

Ben was awful. A franchise QB doesn't get that sloppy with the football, coming off a 4-game injury or not. He KILLED us yesterday. He was just terrible.

Those interceptions were just braindead, bonehead plays. I never knew that knee injuries made your brain get careless with the football.

And what was the gameplan? To throw deep into double coverage all day long? What was that about?

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com/.a/6a00e550080ede8833010536ff81dd970b-320wi

86WARD
11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
There's still a lot of season left and they could come out of it 12-4 but it's highly doubtful. Losing Ben was obviously the critical loss this season...more so than Bell and Bryant being suspended, Pouncey going down and now Bell being injured...losing Ben threw off the whole rhythm of the early season.

With the first game and how these past few weeks have gone with or without Ben, you just never know which team is going to show up. The only thing that has been consistent has been the play of the defense, specifically the front 7. Other than that, it's been hit or miss...when a team is like that, they usually don't win...

As for Ben...he's still a franchise QB and franchise QBs do have bad days. Look at Manning, Rodgers, Luck...even Brady...they all have bad days.

zulater
11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Looking at the remainder of the season, we are looking at losing four more games.

http://www.steelers.com/schedule-and-events/season-schedule.html

We sit at 4-4, having lost two in a row.

We will probably lose to the Raiders, Denver, Seattle and lose at least one game to the reminder Browns, Cinci or Ravens games.

And looking at the upcoming schedule, and with Bell being out for the season, we are looking like an 8-8 team. That will make us 8-8 three out of the last four seasons. But Cool Shades is a great coach?

Losing your probowl back or not, you don't put up a mere 10 points, at home mind you, and expect to win. Your D holds a team to 16 points, and you lose? Pathetic.

Ben was awful. A franchise QB doesn't get that sloppy with the football, coming off a 4-game injury or not. He KILLED us yesterday. He was just terrible.

Those interceptions were just braindead, bonehead plays. I never knew that knee injuries made your brain get careless with the football.

And what was the gameplan? To throw deep into double coverage all day long? What was that about?

http://www.whodeyrevolution.com/.a/6a00e550080ede8833010536ff81dd970b-320wi

Can't stand the coach, can't stand the qb, why not find another team until they're both gone or hibernate through the football season?

And tell us exactly what this thread covers that your last declaration of gloom missed out on?

My guess, just another chance to say "cool shades". So very clever. I think if you lay it on us 100 more times we may get the joke.

And oh yeah more cleverness on your part attacking Ben from his single days. :poop:

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and find themselves advancing don't bother jumping on the bandwagon. We'll remember who you are and what you're about. :coffee:

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 01:35 PM
We will probably lose to the Raiders

Vegas has us favored...

86WARD
11-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Vegas has us favored...

If it were in Oakland, I'd say guaranteed loss. Being in Pittsburgh and the team losing Bell...they'll probably rally up and put a nice whooping on the Raiders.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 02:10 PM
There's still a lot of season left and they could come out of it 12-4 but it's highly doubtful. Losing Ben was obviously the critical loss this season...more so than Bell and Bryant being suspended, Pouncey going down and now Bell being injured...losing Ben threw off the whole rhythm of the early season.

With the first game and how these past few weeks have gone with or without Ben, you just never know which team is going to show up. The only thing that has been consistent has been the play of the defense, specifically the front 7. Other than that, it's been hit or miss...when a team is like that, they usually don't win...

As for Ben...he's still a franchise QB and franchise QBs do have bad days. Look at Manning, Rodgers, Luck...even Brady...they all have bad days.

You're right, all QBs have bad days. But I was shocked just how bad a day Ben had. I am gonna chalk it up to playing while in somewhat of shock from Bell going down like he did. I think it threw them all off. The first drive, they were flawless.

Shoes
11-02-2015, 02:16 PM
You're right, all QBs have bad days. But I was shocked just how bad a day Ben had. I am gonna chalk it up to playing while in somewhat of shock from Bell going down like he did. I think it threw them all off. The first drive, they were flawless.

Ben had some help, Bryant dropped one the end zone and a few more critical ones.

StillCurtains
11-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Can't stand the coach, can't stand the qb, why not find another team until they're both gone or hibernate through the football season?

And tell us exactly what this thread covers that your last declaration of gloom missed out on?

My guess, just another chance to say "cool shades". So very clever. I think if you lay it on us 100 more times we may get the joke.

And oh yeah more cleverness on your part attacking Ben from his single days. :poop:

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and find themselves advancing don't bother jumping on the bandwagon. We'll remember who you are and what you're about. :coffee:

Right, it's amazing how you have one bad game with valid reason and some are ready to make comments about Ben like he's Mike Tomczak. This is the very player we have no chance to win without. Folks can say what they want about Ben, but a healthy Ben would not be held to 77 passing yards as the great Aaron Rodgers was yesterday. I don't care how good a defense may be, you're not holding Ben to that output.

Rotorhead
11-02-2015, 02:26 PM
If the Broncos offense is the real deal, and not a 1 night flash, that is the only team I could see as a for sure loss (that defense is just ridiculous). The rest (even last nights game) are absolutely winnable. Our Def has grown considerably this season, if we could figure out a way to get Boykin in there to see if he can cover better than Blake . . . Our offense was off last night and we still had a chance to win at the end, but most of us expected a rusty Ben (one of the reasons I was hopeful he would return for KC). If we can continue improvements each week on Off and Def, clean up the penalties we will be fine and I can see 10-6 and even 11-5 which will get us a Wild Card and the team nobody wants to see heading into the Playoffs.

tube517
11-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Ben didn't look the same after the play where he got hit and was limping. But, I guess Oakleys and Ray Bans will do that to your QB.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Oh no, what a scary threat!

Please don't ban me from the bandwagon! Take it back! I won't be able to go on with my life with such a threat.

This team is looking at 8-8, a record we should be getting used to, seeing that we will see that mark 3 out of 4 seasons. Is it possible we squeak into the playoffs to lose week 1 in the wild card round? It's possible, but at this point, it is not likely. This season is just a black cat, walking under a ladder across a cracked mirror on top of a crack on the sidewalk.

And let's not forget this factoid: When D Williams has to carry the bulk of carries, he gets injured. I fully expect him to go down in a few weeks. Then we will be down to the midget squad (Archer, Todman and Pead are all little guys, Pead not as tiny as the other two, but he is still under 200 lb back.) Don't get it twisted: I will still be rooting like crazy for the Steelers, but it's hard to not face reality. And Cool Shades propensity for not having the team focused for the worst teams is the straw that breaks the camels back.

The Raiders are on the rise. They already beat the Ravens, who beat us, and whooped on the Chargers, who gave us all we could handle and blew out the Jets, who are a solid team. Plus, the Raiders usually beat us when they suck. As Skip Bayless said, "The Raiders are coming." They are right in the wild card hunt, at 4-3 We are gonna be facing a talented team that is motivated and focused. If our game plan remains to throw deep into double coverage all day long, we lose.

LLT
11-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Oh no, what a scary threat!

Please don't ban me from the bandwagon! Take it back! I won't be able to go on with my life with such a threat.

This team is looking at 8-8, a record we should be getting used to, seeing that we will see that mark 3 out of 4 seasons. Is it possible we squeak into the playoffs to lose week 1 in the wild card round? It's possible, but at this point, it is not likely. This season is just a black cat, walking under a ladder across a cracked mirror on top of a crack on the sidewalk.

And let's not forget this factoid: When D Williams has to carry the bulk of carries, he gets injured. I fully expect him to go down in a few weeks. Then we will be down to the midget squad (Archer, Todman and Pead are all little guys, Pead not as tiny as the other two, but he is still under 200 lb back.) Don't get it twisted: I will still be rooting like crazy for the Steelers, but it's hard to not face reality. And Cool Shades propensity for not having the team focused for the worst teams is the straw that breaks the camels back.

The Raiders are on the rise. They already beat the Ravens, who beat us, and whooped on the Chargers, who gave us all we could handle and blew out the Jets, who are a solid team. Plus, the Raiders usually beat us when they suck. As Skip Bayless said, "The Raiders are coming." They are right in the wild card hunt, at 4-3 We are gonna be facing a talented team that is motivated and focused. If our game plan remains to throw deep into double coverage all day long, we lose.

You do realize....its not your content that irritates people as much s your condescending attitude and "need" to seem more enlightened than the rest of us...right?

Try toning it down a notch or two...actually talk TO people on this site instead of AT them.

Free advise...didn't cost you a dime.

SteelMayhem72
11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
You do realize....its not your content that irritates people as much s your condescending attitude and "need" to seem more enlightened than the rest of us...right?

Try toning it down a notch or two...actually talk TO people on this site instead of AT them.

Good post

SteelMayhem72
11-02-2015, 03:00 PM

I sometimes get irritated and may talk at people and be condescending if i do i apologize to everyone on here. Hell this site is my favorite. I love hearing everybody's thoughts.

SteelMayhem72
11-02-2015, 03:02 PM
I also glad im not the only one going through this devastating season. We are all in this together

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 03:08 PM

not sure about that one, I scratched my head a couple of times during the game trying to figure that out myself...:noidea:

zulater
11-02-2015, 03:12 PM
I sometimes get irritated and may talk at people and be condescending if i do i apologize to everyone on here. Hell this site is my favorite. I love hearing everybody's thoughts.

Yes you have and we appreciate it. :drink:

zulater
11-02-2015, 03:36 PM

See that's reasonable. Totally agree with this.

I also get your point about going downfield all day. I noticed on several plays with Martavis the coverage was way off, a simple button hook or quick out or in could have netted an easy ten yards at the taking when they wanted. Instead if they didn't go deep with Martavis they sent him on a crossing pattern that ran him into middle coverage. You've got to take what they're giving.

I think playing qb is kinda of like playing in the band. When you're out of practice and you temporarily lose your beat it's hard to get back into the rhythm right away. On several plays I noticed a slight hesitation where normally Ben delivers the ball without thinking. Instinctually almost. A good example was the stalled drive before the end of the first half. Ben throws a ball just a fraction late to Martavis right about at the first down marker, but as the ball comes out late Pacman Jones just gets a finger on the ball which deflected it just enough to make what should have been an easy first down a drop. The ball did hit Bryant in both hands still. But just that little bit of deflection threw his concentration off and a promising drive went for naught.

Anyway to our earlier disagreement. I take exception to the picture of Ben you posted in the OP. I don't see how that picture is any reflection of the person or player he is today. Not that you care, but it was a low blow, don't see where it was necessary or deserved. .

ALLD
11-02-2015, 03:44 PM
The whole season was cursed from the multiple suspensions, not to mention key injuries. Something needs to change the way the top manages the team including the Rooneys. Seems like desperate moves and hollow promises will keep the inconsistency rolling along if no genuine changes are made.

Watch how much longer the team stays with Tomlin. There will be a few professionals who will show up like Miller, Brown, Williams and Heyward, but coaching has not been sensitive to what is going on in the field. Another stupid, penalty-drawing, trick play from Haley is an indicator of lack of preparation and not just execution. Then not sending in Landry Jones for a series to give Ben some relief after he got popped was stubborn. Ben was doing everything to avoid the rush and then descended into the Inferno of heaving the ball to get away from it.

The defense has been far from perfect, but not ugly other than Week 1 which was embarrassing.

I think after this week you will see them pull the drawbridge up in preparation for next season. Hopefully everybody will take care in the off-season and rededicate themselves to the game. Coaching will need to rethink why and how they make decisions and possibly use more than gut feeling when it comes to roster moves and play calling.

86WARD
11-02-2015, 03:49 PM

Ben has traditionally been bad when coming back. Someone posted an article that documented this after I mentioned the thought in an earlier post.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Ben had some help, Bryant dropped one the end zone and a few more critical ones.

One of those passes was deflected at the last second, but another one went right through his hands, and he kind of gave a Mike Wallace "I-just-dropped-a-TD-but-it's-funny" grin.

- - - Updated - - -

Ben has traditionally been bad when coming back. Someone posted an article that documented this after I mentioned the thought in an earlier post.

Yup, he is now 2-5 on games when he returns from missing time from injuries.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 04:20 PM
The whole season was cursed from the multiple suspensions, not to mention key injuries. Something needs to change the way the top manages the team including the Rooneys. Seems like desperate moves and hollow promises will keep the inconsistency rolling along if not genuine changes are made.

Watch how much longer the team stays with Tomlin. There will be a few professionals who will show up like Miller, Brown, Williams and Heyward, but coaching has not been sensitive to what is going on in the field. Another stupid, penalty-drawing, trick play from Haley is an indicator of lack of preparation and not just execution. Then not sending in Landry Jones for a series to give Ben some relief after he got popped was stubborn. Ben was doing everything to avoid the rush and then descended into the Inferno of heaving the ball to get away from it.

The defense has been far from perfect, but not ugly other than Week 1 which was embarrassing.

I think after this week you will see them pull the drawbridge up in preparation for next season. Hopefully everybody will take care in the off-season and rededicate themselves to the game. Coaching will need to rethink why and how they make decisions and possibly use more than gut feeling when it comes to roster moves and play calling.

My sadness comes from knowing that as long as they appear close to being on track, nothing changes. And our talent will hide our blemishes. A franchise QB can make a far-from-perfect team seem like all is good (except when your franchise QB is playing like crap, as we saw yesterday, and all of a sudden we collapse into a conflagration, unable to gain first downs or points.) Haley sucks at play calling. Tomlin seems unstable coaching on game days. He makes huge mental errors and acts like they are not errors at all, claiming he "coaches from the gut" and such nonsense. But we can't blame him for all the bad luck and injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

See that's reasonable. Totally agree with this.

I also get your point about going downfield all day. I noticed on several plays with Martavis the coverage was way off, a simple button hook or quick out or in could have netted an easy ten yards at the taking when they wanted. Instead if they didn't go deep with Martavis they sent him on a crossing pattern that ran him into middle coverage. You've got to take what they're giving.

I think playing qb is kinda of like playing in the band. When you're out of practice and you temporarily lose your beat it's hard to get back into the rhythm right away. On several plays I noticed a slight hesitation where normally Ben delivers the ball without thinking. Instinctually almost. A good example was the stalled drive before the end of the first half. Ben throws a ball just a fraction late to Martavis right about at the first down marker, but as the ball comes out late Pacman Jones just gets a finger on the ball which deflected it just enough to make what should have been an easy first down a drop. The ball did hit Bryant in both hands still. But just that little bit of deflection threw his concentration off and a promising drive went for naught.

Anyway to our earlier disagreement. I take exception to the picture of Ben you posted in the OP. I don't see how that picture is any reflection of the person or player he is today. Not that you care, but it was a low blow, don't see where it was necessary or deserved. .

Well, I posted that pic because I was angry at Ben's last int. Here, we get the ball back, with 2 minutes in the game, plenty of time for a game-wining TD drive, and he immediately throws an awful pick. He doesn't know to be a little more careful than that? He just whips it downfield, without any care in the world. That ticked me off. That was the stuff that the old, "What me worry?" Ben would do. That is why I posted the throw back pic: That play reminded me of the old careless Ben.

zulater
11-02-2015, 04:37 PM
My sadness comes from knowing that as long as they appear close to being on track, nothing changes. And our talent will hide our blemishes. A franchise QB can make a far-from-perfect team seem like all is good (except when your franchise QB is playing like crap, as we saw yesterday, and all of a sudden we collapse into a conflagration, unable to gain first downs or points.) Haley sucks at play calling. Tomlin seems unstable coaching on game days. He makes huge mental errors and acts like they are not errors at all, claiming he "coaches from the gut" and such nonsense. But we can't blame him for all the bad luck and injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I posted that pic because I was angry at Ben's last int. Here, we get the ball back, with 2 minutes in the game, plenty of time for a game-wining TD drive, and he immediately throws an awful pick. He doesn't know to be a little more careful than that? He just whips it downfield, without any care in the world. That ticked me off. That was the stuff that the old, "What me worry?" Ben would do. That is why I posted the throw back pic: That play reminded me of the old careless Ben.

Yesterday pissed us all off. So I get where you were coming from. But I think it was still a bit of cheap shot.

But that's ok. I've given out a few of those myself. :rockon:

I get your pessimism as well. But I hold out hope that if Ben and the receivers can find their stride we can get a couple wins going into the bye and hopefully we all are feeling a little better about things.

Shoes
11-02-2015, 04:45 PM
One of those passes was deflected at the last second, but another one went right through his hands, and he kind of gave a Mike Wallace "I-just-dropped-a-TD-but-it's-funny" grin.

And the one that went through his hands would have been a TD, enough to win the game even with Ben having a bad day.

dislocatedday
11-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Ben didn't look the same after the play where he got hit and was limping. But, I guess Oakleys and Ray Bans will do that to your QB.

This is what I noticed too with Ben. I think he was uncomfortable for the rest of the game after that.

fansince'76
11-02-2015, 05:01 PM
The whole season was cursed from the multiple suspensions, not to mention key injuries. Something needs to change the way the top manages the team including the Rooneys. Seems like desperate moves and hollow promises will keep the inconsistency rolling along if not genuine changes are made.

Well, when you blame the coaches for players getting hurt on the field, I'm not exactly sure what you expect them to do?

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
Yesterday pissed us all off. So I get where you were coming from. But I think it was still a bit of cheap shot.

But that's ok. I've given out a few of those myself. :rockon:

I get your pessimism as well. But I hold out hope that if Ben and the receivers can find their stride we can get a couple wins going into the bye and hopefully we all are feeling a little better about things.

I admit the pic was not appropriate. But sometimes when I am angry I get inappropriate. Ben's play had nothing to do with his prior "knuckleheadedness." But I just couldn't believe, after they fought, scratched and clawed to get the ball back with 2 minutes left, that he threw such a careless pass, immediately. ANYTHING but that. This is one of the worst seasons, as far as such great potential (having real hope for truly contending) meeting with such terrible luck, mostly on injuries. We lose our all-world running back, 2 games for weed, then 8 games from injury, our all world QB for 4 games, starting LT for the season, Pro Bowl center for most of the season, if not all, big play WR for 4 games, first round draft pick ILB for what, 4 games? And it seems like it's not going to end. It just has that feel.

Craic
11-02-2015, 05:34 PM
I admit the pic was not appropriate. But sometimes when I am angry I get inappropriate. Ben's play had nothing to do with his prior "knuckleheadedness." But I just couldn't believe, after they fought, scratched and clawed to get the ball back with 2 minutes left, that he threw such a careless pass, immediately. ANYTHING but that. This is one of the worst seasons, as far as such great potential (having real hope for truly contending) meeting with such terrible luck, mostly on injuries. We lose our all-world running back, 2 games for weed, then 8 games from injury, our all world QB for 4 games, starting LT for the season, Pro Bowl center for most of the season, if not all, big play WR for 4 games, first round draft pick ILB for what, 4 games? And it seems like it's not going to end. It just has that feel.

Don't mean to throw gas on the fire, but . . .

you forgot:
2nd string QB (who is much better than Vick or Landry, and probably wins the game against the Ravens and also against the Chiefs)
CB who was our first round draft pick
rising DE
Starting Safety
Dead-reliable kicker (because of which we lost two games, I believe)

86WARD
11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Don't mean to throw gas on the fire, but . . .

you forgot:
2nd string QB (who is much better than Vick or Landry, and probably wins the game against the Ravens and also against the Chiefs)
CB who was our first round draft pick
rising DE
Starting Safety
Dead-reliable kicker (because of which we lost two games, I believe)

Gradkowski isn't that much better than Jones at this stage...but the point is taken. Don't forget about losing Cortez Allen...lol.

NCSteeler
11-03-2015, 01:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to go 8-8. Raiders coming up Ben is 1-7 all time against them. Odd game plan, run run throw deep , run run throw deep. all with a QB with a brace and a sore knee.

This season as with the last many there are all kinds of excuses, but Tomlin is really getting good at turning in 8-8 seasons.

Broncos, I don't think we have a ghost chance , their D seems tenacious, we'll be lucky if Ben isn't lost for the season.
Seattle I could see us beating at home, on a long road trip west in their stadium, IDK.

And it's certainly plausible to see this team losing to a division rival AT LEAST one more time. If not more.

dduc996
11-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Bell was a matter of time , chicken legs don't go far in the NFL.
Williams is very impressive , great fill in and very capable of filling the void.

hawaiiansteeler
11-03-2015, 07:17 PM

yeah, should have drafted Eddie Lacy...:stirthepot:

Shoes
11-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Williams is very impressive , great fill in and very capable of filling the void.

It doesn't matter the size of your legs when they are forced to bend sideways. But I do agree with you on Williams.

TeeTee
11-04-2015, 12:37 PM
It doesn't matter the size of your legs when they are forced to bend sideways. But I do agree with you on Williams.

Thinking same thing. I mean, did dduc see how that play went down? Had nothing to do with thickness of legs. Nothing.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:40 AM
Thin knees...lol.

dduc996
11-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Just saying. Lol
Thin legs snap easier , especially if your a running back.

TeeTee
11-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Just saying. Lol
Thin legs snap easier , especially if your a running back.

His legs (bones) didn't snap. His MCL did, nothing to do with being thin.