PDA

View Full Version : The season's not over. And here's how you make the playoffs.

zulater
11-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Ben is still hurting. If you can't step into your throws you can't get the job done. The first series showed the arm is still there. But once Geno Adkins swiped his knee it was diminishing returns. So if you want Ben back at a capacity that he can actually help the team you've got to keep him out the next two games. After that we have our bye. That gives him three weeks to get healthy.

Now here's the kicker, our next two games are against Oakland and Cleveland. If Landry Jones ( no Mike Vick, in fact if you want to know why our season is cursed start with his signing) can win one of those you go into the bye at 5-5 and then it's a 6 game season after the bye with hopefully a almost fully healthy Ben.

Folks the AFC is top heavy. Yes the division is gone and yes the conference record is poor, but 10 wins will get you in as a wild card. No doubt about it. A healthy Ben coming off the bye can get you 5 wins. This thing isn't over. But if they don't shut down Ben for a couple weeks and he's unable to play at a higher level than today it will be soon.

Shoes
11-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Ben is still hurting. If you can't step into your throws you can't get the job done. The first series showed the arm is still there. But once Geno Adkins swiped his knee it was diminishing returns. So if you want Ben back at a capacity that he can actually help the team you've got to keep him out the next two games. After that we have our bye. That gives him three weeks to get healthy.

Now here's the kicker, our next two games are against Oakland and Cleveland. If Landry Jones ( no Mike Vick, in fact if you want to know why our season is cursed start with his signing) can win one of those you go into the bye at 5-5 and then it's a 6 game season after the bye with hopefully a almost fully healthy Ben.

Folks the AFC is top heavy. Yes the division is gone and yes the conference record is poor, but 10 wins will get you in as a wild card. No doubt about it. A healthy Ben coming off the bye can get you 5 wins. This thing isn't over. But if they don't shut down Ben for a couple weeks and he's unable to play at a higher level than today it will be soon.

Agreed, Ben wasn't the same after that hit. Rest him up, get Jones back in there and run Williams and Todman. I think Todman is going to be a good player, he plays hard and fast. The D has been playing well and hopefully Tuitt will be back in the mix soon.

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
There is no chance that this coaching staff would sit Ben. I would be in shock.

zulater
11-01-2015, 05:25 PM
There is no chance that this coaching staff would sit Ben. I would be in shock.

Probably not. And Ben wont sit himself down. But what needs to be determined is how much of today's game was determined by rust, he always plays poorly first game off an injury, and how much because of soreness or lack of confidence in his knee? Also will he be able to play out of what we saw today, or will continue's playing make it a chronic, nagging sort of thing that will diminish his play to the point of barely effective. Face it if he comes back next week at this level or worse, or even just a tad better are we going anywhere? If playing every week will prevent him from becoming the elite qb we need then you have to sit him for his good and the good of the team. I wish the bye was this week, but it's not. I just got the feeling that if Ben doesn't get that knee healthy we're not going to see Ben even close to his best the rest of the year.

And again I think Landry can pull out one of the next two games. And if we get to the bye at 5-5 we're in there with a chance if Ben comes back a healthy player.

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 05:31 PM
Probably not. And Ben wont sit himself down. But what needs to be determined is how much of today's game was determined by rust, he always plays poorly first game off an injury, and how much because of soreness or lack of confidence in his knee? Also will he be able to play out of what we saw today, or will continue's playing make it a chronic, nagging sort of thing that will diminish his play to the point of barely effective. Face it if he comes back next week at this level or worse, or even just a tad better are we going anywhere? If playing every week will prevent him from becoming the elite qb we need then you have to sit him for his good and the good of the team. I wish the bye was this week, but it's not. I just got the feeling that if Ben doesn't get that knee healthy we're not going to see Ben even close to his best the rest of the year.

And again I think Landry can pull out one of the next two games. And if we get to the bye at 5-5 we're in there with a chance if Ben comes back a healthy player.

I can accept and agree with your scenario. But again, if Ben sits (on his own or by coaches decision), I am checking the temperature in hell, because it will probably be quite chilly.

86WARD
11-01-2015, 05:34 PM
This may be a flaw: let's say they did do your scenario...

The next game would be at Seattle. As shown today, Ben is not Ben after coming back from injury. That Seattle game would almost definitely be a loss if history proves. So then you would sit at 5-6 and would have to run the table with no mistakes. I'm not sure this team could do that...

I like the thought, but I don't think the coaching staff takes those type of risks.

I feel like even with Jones at the helm, they should be able to come out of those two games with victories...as long as the coaching staff doesn't get in the way...

SteelMayhem72
11-01-2015, 06:54 PM
They are not sitting Ben...i like your ideas but our coaches never come up with good ideas

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

st33lersguy
11-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Mark Barron may have single-handedly screwed up the Steelers season with his illegal hit. Asshat

86WARD
11-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Mark Barron may have single-handedly screwed up the Steelers season with his illegal hit. Asshat

The illegal hit he didn't get fined for?

teegre
11-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Great idea.

Ben's not sitting, though.

st33lersguy
11-01-2015, 09:32 PM
The illegal hit he didn't get fined for?

Yeah Adolf Goodell and the Gestapo at the NFL office don't fine that but fine Steelers players for honoring relatives and raising awareness for noble causes.

86WARD
11-02-2015, 05:13 AM
Can Boykin play RB???

Count Steeler
11-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Can Boykin play RB???

Does Boykin know the time of day? Solitary confinement in the dog house is probably playing with his head.

The Bark
11-02-2015, 06:22 AM
The good news is, the rest of the schedule is winnable. Yeah, they play Denver, but I'm not any more concerned than I would be playing the Bengals again. The bad news is, the four losses were all winnable, too, even at New England with the way they moved the ball (and, in hindsight, kept NE under 30).

86WARD
11-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Does Boykin know the time of day? Solitary confinement in the dog house is probably playing with his head.

Good point...

86WARD
11-02-2015, 06:59 AM
The good news is, the rest of the schedule is winnable. Yeah, they play Denver, but I'm not any more concerned than I would be playing the Bengals again. The bad news is, the four losses were all winnable, too, even at New England with the way they moved the ball (and, in hindsight, kept NE under 30).

Oakland isn't a pushover, they have Denver and Seattle. Cincinnati at their place...all could easily be lost. I'm not saying they will lose those games, but the way this team has been so inconsistent and pummeled with injuries, nothing is a given...I won't be surprised if they drop a Cleveland game 16-13...

Shoes
11-02-2015, 07:59 AM

He's reading chapter 10 of the *Memoir & Remains Of Lance Moore*, which Lance wrote with his fingernails on the dog house wall.

Godfather
11-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Now here's the kicker, our next two games are against Oakland and Cleveland.

Those teams suck which makes them guaranteed losses.

Maybe Oakland not so much. They've shown something so far this year.

plenewken
11-02-2015, 08:13 AM

The Steelers have proven time and time again that they can beat anyone and lose to anyone too, especially teams with a losing record, so I don't think the 2nd part of their season will be easier than the 1st. Add injuries to the mix and they will need to play at a much higher level both in O and D to make the playoffs and that includes much better coaching too. I don't think they'll finish better than 9-7. I hope I'm wrong.

zulater
11-02-2015, 08:47 AM
Cut Mike Vick and Dri Archer now. Archer because he can't play. Wheaton can return kicks better.

Vick because he's a jinx. Crazy as it may sound this season started swirling around the toilet the day after he arrived. Sign Vick the 25th, comes in the following day, play a preseason game two days after that, and boom, Pouncey goes down, and it's been a never ending stream of injuries since. Outside of Dallas this year as well (Greg Hardy anyone? :wink02:) has any team in recent memory come close to having their season impacted as negatively by injuries as this year's Steelers? Yeah I know I've gone off my rocker. :crazy: But sometimes if you're having bad luck and you can trace back to when it began and that commonality can be removed with no ill effect get the f*** rid of it!

TD's & Beer
11-02-2015, 09:43 AM
I warned you about Rossi - he's a dick

Rossi: Division is done; big blame is on Ben

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9353615-74/roethlisberger-steelers-bengals#axzz3qH9EFueK

tube517
11-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I warned you about Rossi - he's a dick

Rossi: Division is done; big blame is on Ben

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9353615-74/roethlisberger-steelers-bengals#axzz3qH9EFueK

Tribune sucks.

Rotorhead
11-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Well, as much as losing to the Bungles sucks, they are playing contender football right now (probably mainly due to lack of injuries) so the fact we had a change to win makes me feel better. Ben won't be sitting, so hopefully he can just rest enough in the next couple weeks and not take any more hits to his knee to win those games, then he will have a week off to get as healthy as he will be, and not be rusty for Seattle. Our Defense is much better than anyone thought (if they could just replace Blake we would be even better) and our offense showed it will be back to form soon (next week would be best). As much as losing Bell hurts, our backup is more than capable of handling replacing him (we need to resign him next season if we can!). We may not have the team to go the distance (with all the injuries), but next season the league better lookout, we are one solid CB and 100 injuries away from being the top team in the AFC.

tube517
11-02-2015, 10:01 AM
Well, as much as losing to the Bungles sucks, they are playing contender football right now (probably mainly due to lack of injuries) so the fact we had a change to win makes me feel better. Ben won't be sitting, so hopefully he can just rest enough in the next couple weeks and not take any more hits to his knee to win those games, then he will have a week off to get as healthy as he will be, and not be rusty for Seattle. Our Defense is much better than anyone thought (if they could just replace Blake we would be even better) and our offense showed it will be back to form soon (next week would be best). As much as losing Bell hurts, our backup is more than capable of handling replacing him (we need to resign him next season if we can!). We may not have the team to go the distance (with all the injuries), but next season the league better lookout, we are one solid CB and 100 injuries away from being the top team in the AFC.

DeAngelo signed a 2 yr contract.

katmandu
11-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Tribune sucks.Who the heck is Rob Rossi ? Never heard of the hack.

His article proves he has no credibility.

TD's & Beer
11-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Who the heck is Rob Rossi ? Never heard of the hack.

His article proves he has no credibility.

You're obviously not a Pens fan.

He's been stirring up shit by running them down for years, covering them as a beat reporter, we know him well.

How he got a Trib job covering the Steelers is a mystery.

He's a knob.