PDA

View Full Version : Another great effort on D squandered.

Edman
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
They've given up 20, 13, 23, and 16 points the past four weeks.

If you would've told anyone months before the season that the Steelers D would be holding teams to this kind of production, you'd think we'd be set. Sacks, winning the turnover battle, harassing the QB.

But we're not.

I'm trying to be optimistic about this season, but it's just not working out. It just isn't in the cards.

Iron Steeler
11-01-2015, 03:29 PM
ughhhhhh

Devilsdancefloor
11-01-2015, 03:30 PM
they gave teh O so may chances today and they pissed them all away

zoneblitzerII
11-01-2015, 03:31 PM
You mean squandered by the offense? The D today was OUTSSTANDING.
At the end of the day, Ben made the critical error that cost his team the game.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 03:31 PM
This is why I wanted Ben to go LAST week.

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Should've all been wins. Too many long bombs thrown today.

dislocatedday
11-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Yes, I would have expected the team to be 7-1 so far with the way the defense has played. Ben was off today after it appeared his knee started to bother him.

The injuries, penalties, and play calling all hurt this offense today........but it is the injuries that have cumulatively set this team back over the season.

SteelMayhem72
11-01-2015, 03:43 PM
problem is they dont get a "complete" performance at any time in all 3 phases

86WARD
11-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Whose fault is that?

lipps83
11-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Should've all been wins. Too many long bombs thrown today.

I didn't understand this. Ben obviously is not 100%, the pass game should have been kept in the mid range. Too many deep shots and not one of them completed.

SteelMayhem72
11-01-2015, 03:48 PM
almost getting to the point if Bell starts getting injured a lot...dare I say it????

- - - Updated - - -

Whose fault is that?

Bad luck and all of the above. Im tired of analyzing this team. How many times have we literally just blown a team out??? I bet we have done that less than any "contending" team in the last ten years. This team always has close games and needless to say all of us fans have high blood pressure and heart problems because of it...lol

Kittyfish
11-01-2015, 03:56 PM
You know, I don't mind losing that much if it's just a matter of being clearly outclassed by the opposing team, but it seems that's hardly ever the case. I complained several times in the game day thread how the D was playing lights out and giving the offense opportunity after opportunity but they just couldn't capitalize. SO frustrating! This team has so much potential, but they just can't seem to get it all together at the same time. Of course, the injuries aren't helping either.

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 04:00 PM
At least Archer is making the coaches happy.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I didn't understand this. Ben obviously is not 100%, the pass game should have been kept in the mid range. Too many deep shots and not one of them completed.

IMO, there was one point where a long shot should have been taken (and wasn't) and that was after the long return off of the Howdy Doody INT.

The Bark
11-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Remember at the beginning of the season when it was believed the offense would have to score 30 points to win? I wish I didn't...

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Remember at the beginning of the season when it was believed the offense would have to score 30 points to win? I wish I didn't...

The first drive by the offense was a thing of beauty. I'm not sure WTF that shit that was displayed for the succeeding 3-and-a-half quarters was...

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 05:22 PM
I didn't see the whole game but I never saw Ben in the no-huddle.

86WARD
11-01-2015, 05:26 PM
I didn't see the whole game but I never saw Ben in the no-huddle.

He wasn't. I thought there were several occasions it would have worked well.

The team just doesn't ever have it altogether. This exact same result could've been had had Jones started in place of Ben today. Sure Ben is coming off an injury and has traditionally been below "the standard" when that occurs. Sure they lost Bell today. But they were still in the game, this again was a game that was handed or thrown, if you will, to the Bengals.

zoneblitzerII
11-02-2015, 03:59 PM

If this team could play as a team by playing complimentary football, they'd be undefeated and win the Super Bowl.
The year they won it against the Cards, they played some unbelievable complimentary football. They're all disjointed now and have been for some time. For the most part, the fault has been on the offense. We have waited years for the O to carry the load but aside from a few bright spots, they've sputtered. The D has played heroically for ages now even if they do suffer meltdowns on occasion. But it is they who bend and bend but have surprisingly not broken. Now they're looking great under Butler. But the O isn't paying attention and they are not bearing down when they need to respond to what the D is doing. Somehow they have to find cohesiveness as a "team" and read and react to what the other phases are doing. That's winning football.

zulater
11-02-2015, 04:04 PM

Nailed it! When the offense shows up the defense lays down.If things are going fairly well with both the special teams will screw it up. Yeah we wins games, but never without angst! Always heart wrenching until the end.

ALLD
11-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Looks like the offense is getting a pass among the coaches because of tenure, but the Steelers only played as a team maybe two games this season. Reduce your expectations to improve your health.

Edman
11-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Nailed it! When the offense shows up the defense lays down.If things are going fairly well with both the special teams will screw it up. Yeah we wins games, but never without angst! Always heart wrenching until the end.

The Offense hasn't really shown up all year, and the one time the Defense faltered it was in a blowout.

In each and every game this year, the Defense has contributed to a win, or kept the team within striking distance of a win. One single factor in all four losses was that the Offense absolutely FAILED to get anything done in crunch time. The the 3 and out after the Blake INT in the Bengals game was a microcosm of the whole thing. Defense playing lights out against a damn good offense, but the Offense is unable to capitalize.

MrPgh
11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
The defense was pretty lousy against KC.

Edman
11-07-2015, 01:40 PM
The defense was pretty lousy against KC.

Not one of the D's better efforts for sure. The Game was close and kept it together, but by the time the Offense came to life, it was too late. KC pulled away.

Then again, everyone was lousy in KC.