PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ILB Ryan Shazier fighting a different battle off of the football field

stillers4me
11-01-2015, 07:18 AM
When Ryan Shazier (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245364/ryan-shazier) was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers) in the 1st round of the 2014 draft, his ability to stifle opposing offensive weapons is what he has been trained to do. After all, he had been trained to do so nearly his entire life. However, when it comes to Shazier off the field, it hasn't always been a smooth experience throughout his trek to the NFL.

Shazier, who dons the appearance of a perfectly shaved head, suffers from the auto-immune disease, alopecia. Alopecia is when the immune system attacks the hair follicles in the body, causing the hair to fall out. Some who suffer from the disease have no body hair, while some only lose some of the hair. Regardless, for anyone growing up with such a disease, it can be difficult when trying to explain to classmates why you don't have hair.............

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/11/1/9653582/steelers-ilb-ryan-shazier-fighting-a-different-battle-off-of-the

86WARD
11-01-2015, 07:47 AM
Good story. I actually know two people that suffer from alopecia and something similar and I know they had their struggles with it when they were younger but they've also persevered through it. Good read.

Craic
11-01-2015, 07:50 AM
A little dramatic of an article, no? "Make something of himself despite not having hair?" Or however it was put? It's not like Alopecia is a learning disorder or limits physical activity in some way. Good for him for making it through school where kids can be pretty cruel, and not letting it stop him. I do understand how self-perception can be affected, but I think the writer should be a tad less dramatic as well.

zulater
11-01-2015, 10:06 AM
If you're going to have that affliction this is a better time to have it than any time before. I mean imagine 30 years ago someone telling you about "manscaping". And of course Micheal Jordan made shaving your head bald a fashion statement. You even see recreational bikers who shave their legs, and lifters in the gym who shave their arm pits. I mean in this day and age you see a dude with no hair and you don't even take a second look.

Craic
11-01-2015, 10:14 AM
If you're going to have that affliction this is a better time to have it than any time before. I mean imagine 30 years ago someone telling you about "manscaping". And of course Micheal Jordan made shaving your head bald a fashion statement. You even see recreational bikers who shave their legs, and lifters in the gym who shave their arm pits. I mean in this day and age you see a dude with no hair and you don't even take a second look.
True.

I think the problem comes, however, when you have hair one day, and then within a week or two, large patches just fall out. As a teenager, that could be pretty disconcerting. But, you're right, bald is actually as much a fashion statement for some as it is nature for others, anymore.

B&GFever
11-02-2015, 03:32 PM
there is a young girl with this disorder that works in the local grocery store .. I imagine it would be much worse for a female to have than a man so excuse me if I have more concern for her having to go through this than him ...

it cant be good for anyone just 100 times worse for a woman

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 05:45 PM

Totally. Thinking same thing.

ALLD
11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Bald dudes are common in Florida. Back in the 60s and 70s, people used to laugh at totally bald dudes. Then as now it is a statement of extreme masculinity. My hair stated falling out in my 20s, now some of it is growing back, but I wear it short to shaved. It's low maintenance.

Steel Peon
11-02-2015, 11:00 PM
I always wondered why he had no eyebrows.

TeeTee
11-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Not only is it not a big deal for him, but I bet some chicks actually will like him more because of it.

tube517
11-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Ryan also plays for the Mavs in the NBA

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/555885156506951680/MAxFhf6I.jpeg

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:45 AM
Lol...long lost twin...

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Jeff Hartman,

Writing stories on people's personal battles in life is great, but I would seriously look for a more compelling story than this. I mean, we are talking about a millionaire NFL player who could get the hottest chick in any bar. Poor him.

vasteeler
11-06-2015, 04:24 PM
im so freaking hairy i would pay a lot of money to have that