PDA

View Full Version : The Final Roster Cuts

SteelerEmpire
09-04-2010, 03:22 PM
The following players were released by the Steelers: LB Patrick Bailey, CB Joe Burnett, S Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith, WR Tyler Grisham, DE Sunny Harris, C Justin Hartwig, WR Stefan Logan, DT Steve McLendon, FB Frank Summers, OG Kraig Urbik and DT Doug Worthington.

LINK: http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-release-11--get-to-53/2f50ed4a-edff-461f-a600-1d2acf845dc4

Whew... looks like Tomlin DID choose wisely !

BuddhaBus
09-04-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm a little surprised Burnett was cut. Bailey looked great Thursday night,but it was too little too late with the emergence of some of the rookies. I will miss Logan. Brown made him expendable and proved me wrong. Good luck to all who don't make our PS!

The Duke
09-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Only surprise to me are both Harris and worthington. could have bet one would stick with the team

and I guess battle stays

7willBheaven
09-04-2010, 03:41 PM
I too thought one of either Worthington or Harris made it....and i'm really shocked at Madison over Burnett...Madison is strictly ST...and they have some new young guys there...so i think Madison was expendable as he doesnt offer much at CB like Burnett does. Sad about Urbik/Summers...hopefully they stick to the PS and have another chance next year.

HometownGal
09-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The only guy I can say I am totally shocked at the Steelers releasing is Logan. I haven't been all that impressed thus far with Brown or Sanders on returns and Logan did a helluva job for us last season. I'm going to miss the little munchkin.

:wave: Hartwig.

Texasteel
09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm going to miss Logan as well. I thought he did a better job last year than some of us gave him credit for. I hope Brown or Sanders can get a little more comfortable at returns and light the place up. I'll probably be holding my breath for a while.

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 03:53 PM
The only guy I can say I am totally shocked at the Steelers releasing is Logan. I haven't been all that impressed thus far with Brown or Sanders on returns and Logan did a helluva job for us last season. I'm going to miss the little munchkin.

Maybe the munchkin will make it to the practice squad.

BuddhaBus
09-04-2010, 03:58 PM
Maybe the munchkin will make it to the practice squad.

Is he even eligible?

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Is he even eligible?

Don't think he is.

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Is he even eligible?

Unfortunately for him, no.

In this link is the list of 22 players elegible for the PS. (It wouldn't let me copy them)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-current-players-on-roster-eligible-for-practice-squad/

ALLD
09-04-2010, 04:03 PM
I guess they couldn't get anything in trade for Hartwig or courteously released him so he could have easy negotiations. He will be picked up right away. The rookie WRs are going to have to make a big impact on O & STs this year for us to compete.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 04:11 PM
This is what our roster looks like.

QB: Ben, Leftwich, Dixon, Batch
RB: Mendenhall, Moore, Redman, Dwyer
FB: David Johnson
WR: Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Sanders, Brown, Battle
TE: Miller, Spaeth
OT: Starks, Adams, Hills, Scott
OG: Kemoeatu, Essex, Foster, Legursky
C: Pouncey
DE: Smith, Kiesel, Hood, Eason
NT: Hampton, Hoke
OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Worilds, Gibson
ILB: Timmons, Farrior, Fox, Foote, Sylvester
CB: Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Lewis, Butler, Madison
FS: Clark, Allen
SS: Polamalu, Mundy
K: Reed
P: Sepulevda
LS: Warren

Think that's everyone. Just did it off the top of my head.

Shoes
09-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Same here....he made some nice hits on kickoffs also. Like S4M said maybe the practice squad...but I think somebody is going to snatch him up.

7willBheaven
09-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Same here....he made some nice hits on kickoffs also. Like S4M said maybe the practice squad...but I think somebody is going to snatch him up.

Logan is not eligible for the PS. So he will be a FA.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm surprised that Burnett got cut.

Steeldude
09-04-2010, 04:30 PM
i am surprised at harris being cut, but not a huge loss

because of the leftwich injury it made things a little different. i think batch would have been cut if not for that injury to leftwich. which would of course mean an extra player. my guess would have been harris as the keeper.

Chidi29
09-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Bailey isn't a surprise. Tough, hard worker but he offers nothing defensively and didn't perform well on kick coverage last year.

Cutting Burnett didn't even cross my mind until we saw him come in so late against Carolina. Don't know what happened there.

Smith's shoulder injury didn't do him any favors, but he wasn't going to beat out Mundy. Will likely end up on the practice squad.

Grisham doesn't offer anything unique, but will be a strong bet to be back on the practice squad.

Disappointed to see Harris get cut again. I like the guy; he's got a lot of upper body strength and can collapse the backfield/pocket. Interesting that we only have four DEs on the roster. Little thin.

Hartwig has been gone for the past two weeks. No shock there.

Logan is a flashy player, but when there are multiple players who are competent return men, you're always on thin ice. Wish him the best of luck. He'll wind up somewhere.

McClendon had a sprained MCL that didn't let him play a single game. I kinda liked him last year, and hope he'll resurface on the practice squad. But with Worthington and Harris released, that isn't a strong bet.

I didn't have him on my 53, but I would have kept Summers over Dwyer. His blocking has really come along.

Urbik looked a lot better this preseason, but we already have a bunch of maulers (That's why Hills made the team. He's a different mold than most lineman we have). Kraig still showed zero athletic ability, and doesn't have the versatility that a guy like Foster or Legursky has.

Worthington is too weak. Needs to hit the weight room for a season.

Didn't think Dwyer needed to be on the roster. Doesn't offer anything different than Redman, both being in that power back mold. Dwyer can't pass block, and offers nothing else other than being a runner. He's not going to make any impact this year, and I would have rather tried to put him on the practice squad.

Sylvester is an athlete, but I don't particularly like him on special teams (which is where he'll be spending most of his time if/when he's "up"). Not a reliable tackler. Would have rather kept Renauld Williams.

CB depth is going to be a little thin on gamedays. Assuming Madison gets the nod over Butler since we're just keeping Madison for special teams, we're only going to have four true cornerbacks.

Nadroj 20
09-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice to see the official team, cant really argue with the final cuts.

Aussie_steeler
09-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately for him, no.

In this link is the list of 22 players elegible for the PS. (It wouldn't let me copy them)
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/09/steelers-current-players-on-roster-eligible-for-practice-squad/

Did the leg work for you Stillers

Final Cuts
Summers
Grisham
Urbik
McLendon
Harris
Worthington
Cromartie-Smith

Initial cuts:
Bright
Brooks
Jolly
Thornton

7willBheaven
09-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Bailey isn't a surprise. Tough, hard worker but he offers nothing defensively and didn't perform well on kick coverage last year.

Cutting Burnett didn't even cross my mind until we saw him come in so late against Carolina. Don't know what happened there.

Smith's shoulder injury didn't do him any favors, but he wasn't going to beat out Mundy. Will likely end up on the practice squad.

Grisham doesn't offer anything unique, but will be a strong bet to be back on the practice squad.

Disappointed to see Harris get cut again. I like the guy; he's got a lot of upper body strength and can collapse the backfield/pocket. Interesting that we only have four DEs on the roster. Little thin.

Hartwig has been gone for the past two weeks. No shock there.

Logan is a flashy player, but when there are multiple players who are competent return men, you're always on thin ice. Wish him the best of luck. He'll wind up somewhere.

McClendon had a sprained MCL that didn't let him play a single game. I kinda liked him last year, and hope he'll resurface on the practice squad. But with Worthington and Harris released, that isn't a strong bet.

I didn't have him on my 53, but I would have kept Summers over Dwyer. His blocking has really come along.

Urbik looked a lot better this preseason, but we already have a bunch of maulers (That's why Hills made the team. He's a different mold than most lineman we have). Kraig still showed zero athletic ability, and doesn't have the versatility that a guy like Foster or Legursky has.

Worthington is too weak. Needs to hit the weight room for a season.

Didn't think Dwyer needed to be on the roster. Doesn't offer anything different than Redman, both being in that power back mold. Dwyer can't pass block, and offers nothing else other than being a runner. He's not going to make any impact this year, and I would have rather tried to put him on the practice squad.

Sylvester is an athlete, but I don't particularly like him on special teams (which is where he'll be spending most of his time if/when he's "up"). Not a reliable tackler. Would have rather kept Renauld Williams.

CB depth is going to be a little thin on gamedays. Assuming Madison gets the nod over Butler since we're just keeping Madison for special teams, we're only going to have four true cornerbacks.

I agree with your comment on Burnett i didnt even think he was on the bubble...sad to loose him. Worthington could use a year in the system/weight room/etc...but i thought he did a good job at times getting pressure and such. Summers has come along i think...and also i think they should have let him run the ball (and catch it more)...those are the 2 things he excelled at in college...hopefully he goes to the PS and comes back next year. Sylvester is better than Williams...though i liked Williams...he should be on the PS i'm sure.

As far as Urbik goes...i agree he has improved over last year. But as far as not having the versatility of Legs and Foster...Urbik can player LG/C/RG and even played RT in college...those are a combo of the same positions Legs and Foster can play (RT might be the only spot in question with Urbik). I'd like to see him back next year off the PS and get another chance.

As far as the CB's dressing on game day...they all might be able too....8 have to be inactive...something like Lefty, Dwyer, 2 OL, 1-2 LB, 1-2 WR...that could be 8...so it IS possible all the CBs dress.

7willBheaven
09-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Did the leg work for you Stillers

Final Cuts
Summers
Grisham
Urbik
McLendon
Harris
Worthington
Cromartie-Smith

Initial cuts:
Bright
Brooks
Jolly
Thornton

The 7 from the Final Cuts...minus McClendon add Jolly maybe...or another player or 2 from other cuts (QB maybe) and you have your 8. I'd go with that.

Burghfan58
09-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyone know the time period to clear waivers before we can resign them to the peactice squad?

Steeltreal
09-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Tomlin said he knew what Randle el could do so he didnt need him preseason. Ill bet he is main punt return guy.

tube517
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
My guess is Randle El will be used deep near the goal line to have a veteran back there who isn't supposed to screw up. All he did was fair catch in Washington. I hope one of the rookies will handle regular punt return duties.

Tomlin said he knew what Randle el could do so he didnt need him preseason. Ill bet he is main punt return guy.

O'Malley
09-04-2010, 06:35 PM

You have a good point there. He was a great return guy with us his last stint. Hopefully he will get back in that groove.

venom
09-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Sad to see Hartwig gone

Craic
09-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Sad to see Hartwig gone

Naaa. He was a sideways move from Mahan who was scapegoated. I am not sad to see him gone.

I am however, excited about renewing the tradition at Center in the 'Burgh

steelerdude15
09-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Like the rest of you, I'm shocked to see Logan cut, but I'm happy that Hartwig got cut.

zulater
09-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Like the rest of you, I'm shocked to see Logan cut, but I'm happy that Hartwig got cut.

Why? Hartwig is a good guy by all accounts, and he has experience playing guard. I'd much rather have moved Hartwig to right guard and cut Trai Essexx who has no busines in an NFL starting lineup ever.

tube517
09-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Really????

He played C with Tennessee, C with Carolina and C with Pittsburgh. He played RT in college.

Why? Hartwig is a good guy by all accounts, and he has experience playing guard. I'd much rather have moved Hartwig to right guard and cut Trai Essexx who has no busines in an NFL starting lineup ever.

zulater
09-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Really????

He played C with Tennessee, C with Carolina and C with Pittsburgh. He played RT in college.

My bad, I was wrong. I'd bet he'll still would be better than Essexx at guard all the same. At least he's done something in the league to justify his being in it.

X-Terminator
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Am I reading this correctly? 7 draft picks from this year made the team?

Pouncey
Worilds
Brown
Sanders
Sylvester
Dwyer
Butler

Could end up being the greatest draft class in Steelers history if all of these guys become regular contributors.

zulater
09-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Am I reading this correctly? 7 draft picks from this year made the team?

Pouncey
Worilds
Brown
Sanders
Sylvester
Dwyer
Butler

Could end up being the greatest draft class in Steelers history if all of these guys become regular contributors.

Uh no. Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster all came out of the 74 draft. 4 Hall of Famers by one team in the same class, i doubt that will ever be duplicated.

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Uh no. Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster all came out of the 74 draft. 4 Hall of Famers by one team in the same class, i doubt that will ever be duplicated.

Ok....I'll settle for "one of the best drafts ever". :tongue1:

Aussie_steeler
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Another thing to factor into the cuts this year is that if a drafted rookie is cut then 85% of their salary for the year is paid into a rookies bonus pool. This is a little anomaly in the uncertain environment of the NFL for this season.

This is why some teams have been trading / exchanging drafted rookies and then cutting them to avoid the financial penalty.

Putting that aside I still think this is one hell of a draft class, this early on.

SteelerFanInStl
09-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm watching the replay of the last preseason game right now. Bailey had a very good game but the Steelers are stacked at LBer. It's just a numbers game. I'm glad to see that Sylvester made the team. He's played great every preseason game. The rookie class this year is very good and I'm excited to see what they can do.

86WARD
09-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Surprised about Burnett. So, so so, SO happy that Summers, Urbik, Hartwig are gone. With the talent the team has at WR, Logan's got no place on this team. I'd probably keep Griahm over him.

Am I seeing it right that London made the squad?

7willBheaven
09-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Surprised about Burnett. So, so so, SO happy that Summers, Urbik, Hartwig are gone. With the talent the team has at WR, Logan's got no place on this team. I'd probably keep Griahm over him.

Am I seeing it right that London made the squad?

No London did not...he was in the first set of cuts yesterday. Theres no way he would have made it...haha

Psycho Ward 86
09-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I agree with your comment on Burnett i didnt even think he was on the bubble...sad to loose him. Worthington could use a year in the system/weight room/etc...but i thought he did a good job at times getting pressure and such. Summers has come along i think...and also i think they should have let him run the ball (and catch it more)...those are the 2 things he excelled at in college...hopefully he goes to the PS and comes back next year. Sylvester is better than Williams...though i liked Williams...he should be on the PS i'm sure.

As far as Urbik goes...i agree he has improved over last year. But as far as not having the versatility of Legs and Foster...Urbik can player LG/C/RG and even played RT in college...those are a combo of the same positions Legs and Foster can play (RT might be the only spot in question with Urbik). I'd like to see him back next year off the PS and get another chance.

As far as the CB's dressing on game day...they all might be able too....8 have to be inactive...something like Lefty, Dwyer, 2 OL, 1-2 LB, 1-2 WR...that could be 8...so it IS possible all the CBs dress.

Dude....you're just agreeing and reiterating every single thing that's already been said to the most obvious nature.

Craic
09-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Sure an interesting season lining up for us! I have to admit, I AM very excited about this draft class. However, I just have a bad feeling about this season. Too many holes. Too many tweeks instead of fixes. Etc.Etc. ---and that makes me very happy. Why? Because the last time I felt this way, was going into the 2004 season... 15-1 isn't a bad record.

Let's hope history repeats itself.

X-Terminator
09-05-2010, 12:39 AM

Yeah I know, I was just talking about the draft itself. How many teams can say they had 7 draft picks make the team in their rookie year? Especially nowadays? For all of the flak Tomlin and Colbert have taken for previous drafts, this one is a grand slam if you ask me. All of those guys could end up being very good players in the near future. Pouncey is already there.

oneforthetoe
09-05-2010, 01:43 AM
I wish Hartwig luck. He was not a great center, but he was also not a sideways move from Mahan. Mahan was scapegoated for the o'line problems but he was asked to do something beyond his physical ability (ie, block 325 + pound nose tackles when he was under 300 pound). However, that doesn't change the fact that Hartwig was a measurable upgrade at the position, especially in his run blocking. Still, Pouncy is well on his way to putting the whole Mahan/Hartwig thing to rest.

GoSlash27
09-05-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm kinda surprised we released Da'mon Cromartie-Smith.

solardave
09-05-2010, 06:37 AM
THANK YOU!!! I absolutely agree that Logan was still our best return threat. Last year Tomlin said he needed to find more ways to get him on the field.
No one on this team IMO tried any harder to make it the Logan. Go back and watch his coverage. The guy made some really good tackles and he hits the same way that Clark does. (not as hard but he throws everything he has into it). He doesn't give up on returns and you rarely see him brought down by a shoestring tackle. He has that low center and that makes him valuable.

stillers4me
09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
On the Steelers: Summers, Hartwig among 11 released
Sunday, September 05, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/frank1_160.jpg
Peter Diana / Post-Gazette
Frank Summers

He probably did not know it at the time, but Frank Summers lost his roster spot with the Steelers the moment quarterback Byron Leftwich's knee was sprained Thursday night.
Summers, a fifth-round draft pick in 2009 who was listed as the Steelers' starting fullback all summer, was released along with 10 others that included two-year starter at center Justin Hartwig, who lost his job to rookie Maurkice Pouncey...........................

..............................Redman has risen to the point where he has been paired with Mendenhall this preseason in a two-back "pony" backfield. His play at fullback also likely allowed them to release Summers.

"I've come a long way," said Redman, an undrafted rookie last year from tiny Bowie State in Maryland. "Last year at this time, I was playing with all the second-string guys and I was in there until the end of the game. This time around, they got me in there with the 'ones' early and took me out early, so that kind of says a lot.".................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10248/1085240-66.stm#ixzz0yf5MVDXA

SteelerEmpire
09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
THANK YOU!!! I absolutely agree that Logan was still our best return threat. Last year Tomlin said he needed to find more ways to get him on the field.
No one on this team IMO tried any harder to make it the Logan. Go back and watch his coverage. The guy made some really good tackles and he hits the same way that Clark does. (not as hard but he throws everything he has into it). He doesn't give up on returns and you rarely see him brought down by a shoestring tackle. He has that low center and that makes him valuable.

I agree. Out of all that was cut, Logan should have been the "54th" man if there could be one.

Psycho Ward 86
09-05-2010, 10:51 AM
WTF, Tuff Harris made the roster????

The Duke
09-05-2010, 10:54 AM
WTF, Tuff Harris made the roster????

I believe he's on IR....

Psycho Ward 86
09-05-2010, 10:56 AM
I believe he's on IR....

oh

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Summers, Burnett and Urbik are guys that I hope will somehow be signed to the PS. Not sure if Burnett is eligiblie though.

I didnt see the Hartwig release coming a couple months ago, but have no problem with it. I personally would have rather seen Trai Essex released and Legursky playing RG...that would have allowed them to keep another player and not need to have 5 OT's on the roster. Essex isnt a true guard.

7willBheaven
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Dude....you're just agreeing and reiterating every single thing that's already been said to the most obvious nature.

So?

stillers4me
09-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Insidepghsports (http://twitter.com/Insidepghsports)

Source: Frank Summers signed to Practice Squad http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/summers-signed-to-steelers-practice-squad/29203/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/summers-signed-to-steelers-practice-squad/29203/)

Galax Steeler
09-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Source: Frank Summers signed to Practice Squad http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/summers-signed-to-steelers-practice-squad/29203/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/summers-signed-to-steelers-practice-squad/29203/)

That is some good news.

7willBheaven
09-05-2010, 12:57 PM

Good to hear...and if in fact he did turn down other offers...i think that really shows he wants to be here and he earned some extra whatever, haha, in my book based on that alone. Knock us dead next year Frank!

stillers4me
09-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Patrick Bailey has been claimed by the Tennessee Titans, league source tells me

Polamalu Princess
09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I will miss Logan.

The Duke
09-05-2010, 03:59 PM

well there goes one special teams ace

Not long before Logan and Tim Shaw are gone

tube517
09-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Titans are now becoming Pittsburgh Central (Bailey, Hope, Washington). I always knew Jeff Fisher secretly wants to be the Steelers head coach.

polamalubeast
09-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Titans are now becoming Pittsburgh Central (Bailey, Hope, Washington). I always knew Jeff Fisher secretly wants to be the Steelers head coach.

Fisher will find a lot of colts players too!

Canadian Steeler Nation
09-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Logan has been claimed by his old CFL team the BC Lions, Obviously most CFL teams give the players an "out" in thier contract if the NFL comes calling but it will nice to see him in the CFL if he cant be a Steeler.

stillers4me
09-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Logan has been claimed by his old CFL team the BC Lions, Obviously most CFL teams give the players an "out" in thier contract if the NFL comes calling but it will nice to see him in the CFL if he cant be a Steeler.

Logan was claimed by the Detroit Lions.

Texasteel
09-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Logan was claimed by the Detroit Lions.

Yes, and I'm glad his NFL dream is still alive. He could do well in Detroit.

Canadian Steeler Nation
09-06-2010, 08:43 AM
/sigh he was on his way to CFLsuperstardom...lol, i guess its better to be a small fish in a big pond.

oneforthetoe
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes, and I'm glad his NFL dream is still alive. He could do well in Detroit.

As much as it is ....... it's kind of like being claimed by our Pirates. Yes, technically you are still in the big leagues. I wonder if he spoke to Larry Foote before he left the burgh. Larry could have told him, "stay strong, there is a way out.". Seriously, good luck to Logan. I wish we could have found a way to keep him.

SteelerEmpire
09-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Detroit ? He can be the starting RB, WR, QB; whatever, at that sorry team. And can buy a 5 BR mansion in Detroit for $4000.