PDA

View Full Version : Boykin: 'I’m going to be ready'

hawaiiansteeler
10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Boykin: 'I’m going to be ready'

By Mike Prisuta

Cornerback Brandon Boykin will be ready when his number is called.

Cornerback William Gay’s shoulder is on the mend and cornerback Antwon Blake is “managing his thumb injury well,” in head coach Mike Tomlin’s estimation, which means cornerback Brandon Boykin is still on hold.

“Just waiting for that opportunity, keeping a level head and whenever it happens I’m going to be ready,” Boykin said.

Boykin played 10 defensive snaps in last Sunday’s 23-13 loss at Kansas City, a game Blake had left briefly to be tested for a concussion and one Gay was unable to finish after sustaining a shoulder injury.

Those were Boykin’s first defensive snaps since he’d played two on Sept. 27 at St. Louis.

Prior to that, he’d played nine defensive snaps on Sept. 20 against San Francisco.

That makes 21 on the season and that’s not what Boykin initially envisioned upon being traded to the Steelers during training camp.

He isn’t sure why he hasn’t yet become more than a regular contributor on special teams.

“I don’t know, honestly,” he said. “I’m not going to sit here and make up something.”

His response has been to keep working and stay ready when needed, as he had been in Kansas City.

“I’m not the coaches,” Boykin continued. “Whatever they feel is what’s going to happen. I can’t think about it. I just have to go play and get better every day.

“I want to play, everybody knows that. Everybody knows the people here, we’re competitors. We want to be on the field but you have to be in the right mindset. You have to be in the right head space when you actually do get that opportunity.

“If you walk around angry every day, you finally get in you’re not focused on what you need to be on. When things kind of transpired like they have I had to refocus myself and just try to get better at something every single day knowing that I’m new here, knowing that even if I didn’t walk in here and play Day One you still have to maintain your poise. You still have to go to work every day.”

It’s been an adjustment for Boykin, who had been a sub-package regular in Philadelphia.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Boykin-I’m-going-to-be-ready/15ed0c64-61fc-4a13-8819-253c25460117

StillCurtains
10-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah, he'll be ready for free agency that is because he won't see the field here. He was better off in Philly. He's in a situation out of his control. He was traded, he had no choice where he could go, nor did he ask for a trade. He got more playing time in Philly, is the best corner on this team, and doesn't play at all. Talk about bad luck!

No matter, when the offseason starts, I'm sure teams will be knocking down the door to sign Blake while Boykin gets no looks from teams.

If you were to believe that, you would be as insane as our coaches with their asinine decisions.

ALLD
11-01-2015, 08:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhylLW4Fcs

zulater
11-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Has Tomlin backed himself into a corner he can't get out of? Imagine he gives Boykin a real opportunity to play ( 35+ defensive snaps in a game) and he excels. Say he makes a game changing interception or pass break up. How does Tomlin explain away his prior inactivity?

If the reports that Tomlin is holding grudges and is allotting playing time due to personal animosity or favor (Vick) to any extent is true then the Rooney's really need to sit him down and get this straightened out. You could really make the case the Chiefs game turned on several big completions allowed by Blake.

I don't know, between this and Lance Moore ( giving Justin Brown playoff snaps while Lance was inactive) last year you have to wonder what the hell Tomlin is thinking? :frusty:

Craic
11-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Has Tomlin backed himself into a corner he can't get out of? Imagine he gives Boykin a real opportunity to play ( 35+ defensive snaps in a game) and he excels. Say he makes a game changing interception or pass break up. How does Tomlin explain away his prior inactivity?

If the reports that Tomlin is holding grudges and is allotting playing time due to personal animosity or favor (Vick) to any extent is true then the Rooney's really need to sit him down and get this straightened out. You could really make the case the Chiefs game turned on several big completions allowed by Blake.

I don't know, between this and Lance Moore ( giving Justin Brown playoff snaps while Lance was inactive) last year you have to wonder what the hell Tomlin is thinking? :frusty:

I don't mean to be ignorant about it, but what reports? All I've heard is stuff around here, or stuff batted around "Fan-media" rather than people who truly have inside access.

steelreserve
11-01-2015, 10:50 AM

The Steelers have a long tradition of sticking with guys who are ineffective, well after it's been obviously proven they aren't getting the job done. This goes back to the Cowher days, although it's certainly gotten more pronounced now, probably because we have more positions up for grabs. Probably just a simple stubborn unwillingness to admit your hunch was wrong. Guys like Blake and Justin Brown probably make a couple awesome plays when it doesn't count and then Haley/Tomlin spend ages waiting for it to happen again, like the guy whose date ditched him and stands there for five hours thinking she's JUST ABOUT to show up.

The one thing I don't get is people keep referring to Vick as a Tomlin man crush. Before Jones stepped in with his idiot-savant performance, every one of us wanted to keep him off the field at all costs. There was no reason to expect that, and Vick making a play or two seemed like the only plausible chance of winning a game. Even though Vick was struggling, there's no way most of us would've pulled that ripcord any sooner.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 11:04 AM
I don't mean to be ignorant about it, but what reports? All I've heard is stuff around here, or stuff batted around "Fan-media" rather than people who truly have inside access.

It's just more blogosphere BS, from what I've been able to gather. I'm sorry, but hearsay and conjecture from "steeldad (http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/10/31/boykin-getting-splinters-due-to-spat-with-tomlin/)" doesn't count as a credible source in my book:

Since then, Boykin has seen the field as a cornerback for less than 20 plays despite being the team’s best corner throughout practice and based on pure experience. Brown tried to elaborate on Boykin’s ability during his radio show but was cut off by Steelers’ master of propaganda Gerry Dulac.

Yeah, that's real credible. And I'm sure he's also attended every practice session in person to confirm the assertion that Boykin has been the best corner in practice too.

I really wish people would stop treating every Tom, Dick and Harry in cyberspace with a blog as a "news source." Not singling anyone out in particular here, just speaking generally.

"Well, ya see, my buddy's cousin's uncle's son runs a hot dog stand right next to the Steelers' practice facility and he says that Boykin's looked real good!"

86WARD
11-01-2015, 11:40 AM
It's just more blogosphere BS, from what I've been able to gather. I'm sorry, but hearsay and conjecture from "steeldad (http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/10/31/boykin-getting-splinters-due-to-spat-with-tomlin/)" doesn't count as a credible source in my book:

Yeah, that's real credible. And I'm sure he's also attended every practice session in person to confirm the assertion that Boykin has been the best corner in practice too.

I really wish people would stop treating every Tom, Dick and Harry in cyberspace with a blog as a "news source." Not singling anyone out in particular here, just speaking generally.

"Well, ya see, my buddy's cousin's uncle's son runs a hot dog stand right next to the Steelers' practice facility and he says that Boykin's looked real good!"

Bleacher Report. Lol.

zulater
11-01-2015, 12:30 PM

Antonio Brown on his radio show with Gerry Dulac had a caller ask him about Boykin, and AB said that Boykin gave him the most trouble in practice as far as getting open. Numerous reporters who have went to Steelers camp claimed Boykin looked good in coverage throughout camp.

I don't maybe AB is a clueless idit when it comes to knowing what constitutes a good cover corner? :noidea:

But regardless when the guy you got playing is rated as the 107 th best corner out of 109 by a neutral analytical site, and that same site has the guy who you've glued to the bench rated 34th among all corners last season maybe you just oughta switch things up?

Psycho Ward 86
11-01-2015, 03:58 PM
Blake is probably going to be immune to being demoted by Tomlin after that pick today. Because god forbid, the one thousand other bad plays he makes are worth it

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 04:03 PM
In Tomlins world splash beats consistency.

SteelerFanInStl
11-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Did he play at all today? I didn't notice him if he did.

As long as Blake keeps making a "splash" play ever few games, Tomlin will keep him in there despite all of the other plays that he gives up.

SteelMayhem72
11-01-2015, 04:20 PM
I only saw boykin on special teams

86WARD
11-01-2015, 08:21 PM
In Tomlins world splash beats consistency.

Archer has speed and speed could result in splash! Tomlin would've been Al,Davis' dream coach...

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Seems to me the defense, and particularly the secondary, really wasn't the issue today. Does Boykin play offense? That's the side of the ball that needed the help.

86WARD
11-02-2015, 05:15 AM
Seems to me the defense, and particularly the secondary, really wasn't the issue today. Does Boykin play offense? That's the side of the ball that needed the help.

Specifically RB?

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 11:35 AM
Specifically RB?

yes, as in RoethlisBerger

if he had been on his game we would have won yesterday...

zulater
11-02-2015, 12:34 PM

It was to some extent, but overall they did their job yesterday. Doesn't absolve them of prior transgressions, and it certainly doesn't mean they wont take their turn and lose us the game the next time our offense shows up.

zulater
11-02-2015, 12:50 PM
yes, as in RoethlisBerger

if he had been on his game we would have won yesterday...

Same is true with our receivers and offensive line. An offense is a unit. The only ones that came away with passing grades yesterday were Heath, LeVeon, and DeAngelo.

It's a different game if DHB catches the long 3rd down pass on the 2nd possession or if Martavis holds onto the ball in the end zone, or AB converts a 3rd down pass in his hands.

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 01:12 PM
Same is true with our receivers and offensive line. An offense is a unit. The only ones that came away with passing grades yesterday were Heath, LeVeon, and DeAngelo.

It's a different game if DHB catches the long 3rd down pass on the 2nd possession or if Martavis holds onto the ball in the end zone, or AB converts a 3rd down pass in his hands.

I agree, our WRs did not play well yesterday either...

86WARD
11-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Brown has been dropping a lot of passes this season for being Antonio Brown...