PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Jones - do we pick up his 5th year option?

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Steelers notebook: Jarvis Jones says, 'You can't make it about yourself'

October 30, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/10/29/ca0,97,2336,2433/20151029lf-Steelers03-2.jpg

In eight months, the Steelers have to decide if they want to allocate $8 million or more to Jarvis Jones. That’s how much it will likely take to pick up the fifth-year option on Jones’ rookie contract.

Unless the Steelers already have made their decision, they don’t seem in a hurry to find out if Jones is worthy of a second contract. A first-round pick in 2013, Jones is starting but splitting time with 37-year old James Harrison at right outside linebacker.

Jones wanted to prove his worth this season, but he is sitting on one sack near the midway point. He has one other quarterback pressure, one forced fumble and 17 tackles.

“That’s definitely my goal, for them to pick up my option, but I still have to produce,” Jones said Thursday afternoon. “I can’t worry about situations that are keeping me from doing what I have to do. I just have to take advantage of my opportunities when I’m out there.

”That’s the best way I can look at it. I can’t think of stuff like ‘I’m not getting enough reps to do this or do that.’ I just have to take advantage of my opportunities when I’m out there, and that’s something I have to do better.”

Harrison has 23 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble. In the spring, it appeared Jones would get plenty of opportunities to prove he could live up to his first-round hype. Outside linebackers coach Joey Porter said Harrison would play 25 snaps per game, leaving Jones with the rest.

But through seven games, Harrison has played 308 snaps while Jones has played only 228, or 57 percent of the team’s defensive snaps compared to Jones’ 37 percent. Jones missed one game with a hip injury while Harrison has played in all seven.

“You always want more snaps, or all of them if you can get them, but it’s a team game,” Jones said. “We each have a role to play right now. It’s helping us as a defense. I think coach Porter, myself and the rest of the guys are doing a great job. You can’t make it about yourself. It’s going to take all of us to win. Everyone is playing well right now, and we’re just going to try to build on it.”

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/30/Steelers-notebook-Jarvis-Jones-You-can-t-make-it-about-yourself/stories/201510300163

SteelerFanInStl
10-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Easy answer, "NO".

Steeldude
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't keep him even for minimum wage. I would rather have Blake playing OLB. No joke. Jones is useless. He has shown nothing.

fansince'76
10-30-2015, 12:14 PM
Jones is useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D7HmnsHGJI

:chuckle:

tube517
10-30-2015, 12:16 PM

http://anibundel.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/office-space-milton.png :lol:

TeeTee
10-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Unless something changes - radically - there is no way in hell they should even consider it. Even if we have to draft ANOTHER OLB really high, then we have to, even though it's depressing and we SHOULDN'T be in this position. But we are. With FOUR of our LBs coming from first round picks, it is insane that we might need to use ANOTHER first round pick on a LB, but it is what it is. Jones has turned out to be just terrible. The missed terribly on that draft pick. They crapped their pants and need to change their underwear - colossal failure.

steelreserve
10-30-2015, 12:27 PM
$8 million, lol.

Ah no.

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2015, 01:08 PM
$8 million, lol.

Ah no.

as ridiculous as that is, Timmons' cap hit next year will be over $15 million...

Shoes
10-30-2015, 01:28 PM
No! Dupree is in his fist year and he atleast is showing some signs of life. Jones has shown nothing and it probably won't be long before his back becomes an issue.

TeeTee
10-30-2015, 01:30 PM
No! Dupree is in his fist year and he atleast is showing some signs of life. Jones has done nothing and it probably won't be long before his back becomes an issue.

Even if there was zero % potentially wrong with him physically, there is still no reason to pick up that deal or sign a new one of any kind.

Count Steeler
10-30-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't care if he gets 2 sacks per game the rest of the way. Trade him for whatever you can get or let him walk. He is not an NFL OLB. Well, he is not a Steeler OLB.

steelreserve
10-30-2015, 02:05 PM
as ridiculous as that is, Timmons' cap hit next year will be over $15 million...

At least Timmons does something. Jones' contract would be $8 million for nothing.

Don't worry, we won't actually take a $15 million cap hit. We'll restructure Timmons' contract (again). Not intelligently, so that we'd spread the cap hit out evenly or anything, mind you. More like we'll make it $3 million next year and $21 million the year after that. Then how do we solve that when we get there? By restructuring it again, of course!

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't care if he gets 2 sacks per game the rest of the way.

Trade him for whatever you can get

http://www.marcgunther.com/wp-content/uploads/lays_classic.gif

Count Steeler
10-30-2015, 02:11 PM
http://www.marcgunther.com/wp-content/uploads/lays_classic.gif

Sour Cream and Onion and you have a deal.

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2015, 02:46 PM
At least Timmons does something.

I'm not sure if Timmons is still being bothered by his turf toe, but he hasn't been playing well at all.

in fact, Pro Football Focus ranks Antwon Blake and Lawrence Timmons as our two worst defenders...

86WARD
10-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Not that it matters, my answer would still be "No", how long can we milk Harrison for...

steelreserve
10-30-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm not sure if Timmons is still being bothered by his turf toe, but he hasn't been playing well at all.

in fact, Pro Football Focus ranks Antwon Blake and Lawrence Timmons as our two worst defenders...

Mainly I notice Timmons when he's unable to cover the tight end. Also for being the guy who finally makes the tackle 10 yards upfield after two other guys missed it.

I don't know what metrics they use to measure the performance of inside linebackers, but I'm not surprised he's down. This year has been different in that I have not seen him making a lot of impact plays, mainly mopping up at the end of mediocre ones. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the bottom of our list, though. He's been about a C, while others are way in the F range.

hawaiiansteeler
10-30-2015, 05:08 PM
Mainly I notice Timmons when he's unable to cover the tight end. Also for being the guy who finally makes the tackle 10 yards upfield after two other guys missed it.

I don't know what metrics they use to measure the performance of inside linebackers, but I'm not surprised he's down. This year has been different in that I have not seen him making a lot of impact plays, mainly mopping up at the end of mediocre ones. I wouldn't put him anywhere near the bottom of our list, though. He's been about a C, while others are way in the F range.

Timmons has been a liabilty in coverage and has missed a lot of tackles, that's what has been his hurting his PFF grade.

Steeldude
10-30-2015, 05:08 PM

Haha. A classic movie.

TeeTee
10-30-2015, 05:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3rjQGc6lA

st33lersguy
10-30-2015, 07:38 PM
Yeah uhh if Jarvis could start playing like he knows what he is supposed to be doing, that'd be greeeeaaat

- - - Updated - - -

Jarvis, what would you say, you do here?

NCSteeler
10-31-2015, 05:48 AM
The answer is NO and HELL NO, but I am sure we will pick it up to give another year to pan out.

salamander
10-31-2015, 07:10 AM
NO.

NO.

NO.

Just wanted to make sure I got my point across. :chuckle:

Steeldude
10-31-2015, 09:14 AM
What happened to all of the excuses like, "His wrist is still healing" or "He showed some good things before he was injured"? Both of which are ridiculous excuses. Jones showed nothing at all last year before getting hurt. His wrist has nothing to do with his leg drive, mind, skill or effort.

The Steelers need to draft another OLB because I doubt they give Chickillo a chance.

BigNastyDefense
10-31-2015, 10:04 AM
He would have to do a complete 180 to have it even be considered. And since I don't see that happening, I highly doubt they pick it up.

86WARD
10-31-2015, 10:05 AM
People are coming around...I know I have. I was willing to give him the benefit of doubt, just like I was with Archer and Landry. Landry has made himself worth a roster spot. The other two have not.

Archer is useless...even though I've seen it spun in a way he becomes tied for 5th in kick off return average...lol.

teegre
10-31-2015, 12:17 PM
$8 million would cover the signing bonus for DeCastro.

Re: Timmons
I love that guy... but, Spence & Williams are cheaper and younger. That $15 million would cover Bell's signing bonus.

Count Steeler
10-31-2015, 02:20 PM

I love that guy... but, Spence & Williams are cheaper and younger. That $15 million would cover Bell's signing bonus.

This is the reality of the cap Era.

steelreserve
10-31-2015, 02:53 PM
So, is it worth paying someone $8 million to suck ass?

Well actually, according to La'el Collins, it's not even worth paying at all.
http://deadspin.com/deadcast-did-la-el-collins-stiff-a-hooker-who-ate-his-1711639930

Seriously though, no. There is nothing he could do at this point to make it worth it. Even if he suddenly starts dominating for the rest of the year, that gives him one half a good season out of three years. Or in other words, Jason Worilds. No thanks. If he came out kicking ass right from the start, maybe it'd be worth a look, but he's been nothing but a big disappointment. I was willing to at least give him a shot because of the injuries the last two years, but he's quickly shown there was not much there to begin with.

Pretty much. Timmons' cap hit has run away from his on-field value. Due in large part to all the restructures. My guess is we'll probably extend him another year and kick the can down the road, because the dead money from releasing him would literally be Woodley II (and right after Woodley I came off the books, how about that?)

That's probably too big of a shit sandwich even for Khan to swallow, so he'll do something infinitely wiser, like rearrange it to be a $3 million cap hit in 2016 and $20 million in 2017, and also 2016 will be the year his play falls off and he's not even starting by the end of the year, or else he has a major injury. Fun times!

hawaiiansteeler
10-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Dan: Based on his play where should Jarvis Jones have been drafted? 6th round?

Gerry Dulac: Easy to say now.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-28-15/stories/201510280178

TeeTee
10-31-2015, 04:18 PM
Yeah uhh if Jarvis could start playing like he knows what he is supposed to be doing, that'd be greeeeaaat

- - - Updated - - -

Jarvis, what would you say, you do here?

So, jarvis, what's happening? Uummmmm Jarvis, if you could fill out the cover sheets for the TPS reports, that would be greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaatttttt.

And, ummmmmm, if you could move your locker down to the basement, that would be greeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmC0ktznNo

katmandu
10-31-2015, 06:23 PM
What happened to all of the excuses like, "His wrist is still healing" or "He showed some good things before he was injured"? Both of which are ridiculous excuses.

His wrist has nothing to do with his leg drive, mind, skill or effort.Yeah....Ok. That would be ME you're calling out Steeldude.

I stopped saying about his wrist MONTHS ago. Jarvis has had time for that to heal up and produce. He obviously has not produced.

His wrist injury was NOT a BULLLSSHIIT excuse. You obviously have never lifted weights with a fuckkked up wrist or else you would know it's a major weight bearing joint and hurts like FUUK when you do try to life with it. It's was without a doubt a major set back to his upper body strength development.

That said, my Vote is also..... "HELL NO"! Don't resign him. NO EXCUSES.

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 08:12 PM
by Craig Wolfley

On the last play of the first quarter, Bud Dupree rushed upfield, tossed aside RT Andre Smith (who’s listed at 325 but I’m betting that’s before breakfast following a week-long bout with the flu) and closed on Dalton from behind, sacking him after Dalton stepped up into the pocket. It was a great example of what closing speed is all about. Some guys have great speed but they can’t disengage from the blocker. Or, if they are able to get off the block they can’t seem to close on their prey. Bud doesn’t seem to have any of those problems. When Bud came over to the sidelines, Keith Butler gave him a head slap to reward him. Keith has to be happy with the continued improvement of Dupree, and Jarvis Jones as well, on the outside. They are two young, raw guns who are making their marks throughout the first half of the season.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1607337-wolfley-s-view-from-the-sideline

Mojouw
11-04-2015, 10:50 PM
If Jones will take a cap workable deal - then you resign him. If not, then tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 04:16 AM
If Jones will take a cap workable deal - then you resign him. If not, then tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

Why would you even sign him with a "cap workable deal"?

Mojouw
11-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Why would you even sign him with a "cap workable deal"?

Because he can play OLB at about a low end of average level in the NFL. No guarantee whoever else you bring in will be able to even do that. Also, if you don't resign Jones, that leaves Dupree and Moats and tumbleweeds at the position. This would mean your looking at another top 3 round draft pick being sunk into the position just to have adequate depth to field a football team. Sign Jones as a 1-2 year band-aid and look to develop other options at the position while you concentrate high round draft resources on finding secondary talent and replenishing the pending FA losses at the OL group. Think how much more OL is going to become important as Ben ages.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Why not just spend a little extra and get an above average veteran? There is gonna be a need to sign several veterans this off season if they want to improve. I'd rather see a vet in there than Jones. We know what Jones isn't.

There's not enough time to continue "developing" and failing to develop players on this team.

steelreserve
11-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Because he can play OLB at about a low end of average level in the NFL. No guarantee whoever else you bring in will be able to even do that. Also, if you don't resign Jones, that leaves Dupree and Moats and tumbleweeds at the position. This would mean your looking at another top 3 round draft pick being sunk into the position just to have adequate depth to field a football team. Sign Jones as a 1-2 year band-aid and look to develop other options at the position while you concentrate high round draft resources on finding secondary talent and replenishing the pending FA losses at the OL group. Think how much more OL is going to become important as Ben ages.

Seems like the linebackers we've brought in do just fine. It's the ones we draft that we have problems with. Dupree and Moats are a decent tandem, and finding another Moats-level player is not asking anything too difficult. Plus we might already have some quality depth with Chickillo.

Jones is a shitty player and we're better off looking elsewhere. I will also be furious if we use another high-round draft pick on that position because no, we don't need to.

Rotorhead
11-05-2015, 03:43 PM
No to picking up the option, but definitely ok with a cap friendly deal, at worst is a decent backup to whoever we can get to start at his spot. At best he is a late bloomer like JH. I do think we need to pick OLB, CB and S for our first 3 picks next draft . . . same as last year if I recall.

Mojouw
11-05-2015, 05:59 PM
Seems like the linebackers we've brought in do just fine. It's the ones we draft that we have problems with. Dupree and Moats are a decent tandem, and finding another Moats-level player is not asking anything too difficult. Plus we might already have some quality depth with Chickillo.

Jones is a shitty player and we're better off looking elsewhere. I will also be furious if we use another high-round draft pick on that position because no, we don't need to.

Kind of my thoughts. I'm not saying start him - but bring in to one more camp and let it all shake out.

Steeldude
11-05-2015, 09:15 PM
Yeah....Ok. That would be ME you're calling out Steeldude.

I stopped saying about his wrist MONTHS ago. Jarvis has had time for that to heal up and produce. He obviously has not produced.

His wrist injury was NOT a BULLLSSHIIT excuse. You obviously have never lifted weights with a fuckkked up wrist or else you would know it's a major weight bearing joint and hurts like FUUK when you do try to life with it. It's was without a doubt a major set back to his upper body strength development.

That said, my Vote is also..... "HELL NO"! Don't resign him. NO EXCUSES.

Not calling you out at all. This stems from another MB as well..

hawaiiansteeler
11-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Snowy Colorado: How many snaps has Harrison been playing. I know Peezy wanted to keep it pretty low. Does this mean that Jarvis Jones is entering Ziggy Hood territory? Not quite a bust but just a guy. Has he reached his ceiling?

Gerry Dulac: He has been playing way more than they said they would let him play, and way more than he should be playing,. First of mall, it;'s not like he's dominating the league like it's 2008 all over again. He has two sacks and none in seven of the nine games. More important, he continues to take playing time away from Jarvis Jones, who remains the starter but actually plays fewer snaps than Harrison. At one point against the Raiders, Harrison even waved Jones away when it was his turn to come on the field. All that is doing is slowing Jones development and further impeding the team's evaluation of him. If Jones is your future -- and he is, Harrison, at age 37,is not -- this arrangement is not doing any good. Every year the Steelers talk about limiting Harrison;'s snaps and every year it never happens.

Joe: I have defended J. Jones and Shazier because previous steeler LBs have taken time to develop. Is their development going well or are their issues with them in regards to their training, knowledge of the defense and even being held back by other players?

Gerry Dulac: Joe, see the previous answer in regards to Jones. As for Shazier, his biggest problem is staying healthy enough to play or play at a high level. But, when healthy, Shazier has shown he can be a difference-maker.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/11/11/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-11-11-15/stories/201511110207

steelreserve
11-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Jones will be here one more year, because I think his contract is fully guaranteed and we save nothing by cutting him. But that's the only reason.

Harrison is just as much a part of the future as Jones. He's signed for one more year also, and I fully expect that to be the last season for both of them. Difference is, Harrison actually still is able to have some impact on the game in the meantime.

86WARD
11-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Harrison is playing because Jones sucks and isn't showing improvement. End of story.

Shoes
11-12-2015, 01:13 PM
I'll bet the Steelers 1st round pick is a LB? :chuckle:

tube517
11-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Harrison is playing because Jones is "solid" and isn't showing improvement. End of story.

Fixed :chuckle:

86WARD
11-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Fixed :chuckle:

:heh:

Steeldude
11-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Dulac is a fool for saying Jones is still developing. Jones is done. He is hurting the team because he takes playing time away from Harrison. He is also hindering Chickillo's development.

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Dulac is a fool for saying Jones is still developing. Jones is done. He is hurting the team because he takes playing time away from Harrison. He is also hindering Chickillo's development.

Exactly. Dulac is an idiot. The Steelers already know what they've got in Jones and that's why Harrison's playing more.

Steeldude
11-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Exactly. Dulac is an idiot. The Steelers already know what they've got in Jones and that's why Harrison's playing more.

I just hope Tomlin stops appointing players starters based on draft status rather than actual ability.

Mojouw
11-13-2015, 12:43 PM
So what about this scenario:

Dupree starts next season. Backed by Moats.
Jones is the other starter. Backed by Chick-filet.
Harrison returns as a jack-of-all trades pass rusher/run stuffer/mentor (basically the role Cincy envisioned for him as DE, but as a situation OLB instead).

I kind of think that could be enough for a season or three as long as two things happen:

1. Jones continues to be pretty good in space/coverage and really good against the run.
2. Dupree takes the leap to Porter, Harrison, young Woodley territory and becomes a holy terror who can not be blocked in the pass rush.

So basically if Jones can be Emmons or Hagans (the Carloses!) might that not be enough? I mean it sucks for the 17th pick of the first round, but that ship has sailed. I'd by Jarvis Jones a few million per year to play like one of the Carloses - making the ASSUMPTION (perhaps waaaaaay to optimistic) that Dupree is a monster on the other side.

That would allow the team to get the DB piece, OL and DL depth that is sorely needed and another QB (Go ahead. Make a case that this team shouldn't draft a QB in the first 4 rounds.) before they are "forced" to take a OLB.

That being said, they will likely throw money at him AND draft a better player in the first round.

teegre
11-13-2015, 12:51 PM
I just hope Tomlin stops appointing players starters based on draft status rather than actual ability.

I'm wondering why people think that.

AB was a sixth round pick, and is playing ahead of several 3rd round picks.

Tomlin's first move as the new coach was to anoint James Harrison (an undrafted player) as the starter (while allowing a team leader & Pro Bowl player in Joey Porter go).

Ramon Foster was undrafted, but has been the starter, over guys drafted in the mid rounds.

Kelvin Beachum is playing ahead of Mike Adams.

...et cetera...

steelreserve
11-13-2015, 01:55 PM
So what about this scenario:

Dupree starts next season. Backed by Moats.
Jones is the other starter. Backed by Chick-filet.
Harrison returns as a jack-of-all trades pass rusher/run stuffer/mentor (basically the role Cincy envisioned for him as DE, but as a situation OLB instead).

I kind of think that could be enough for a season or three as long as two things happen:

1. Jones continues to be pretty good in space/coverage and really good against the run.
2. Dupree takes the leap to Porter, Harrison, young Woodley territory and becomes a holy terror who can not be blocked in the pass rush.

So basically if Jones can be Emmons or Hagans (the Carloses!) might that not be enough? I mean it sucks for the 17th pick of the first round, but that ship has sailed. I'd by Jarvis Jones a few million per year to play like one of the Carloses - making the ASSUMPTION (perhaps waaaaaay to optimistic) that Dupree is a monster on the other side.

That would allow the team to get the DB piece, OL and DL depth that is sorely needed and another QB (Go ahead. Make a case that this team shouldn't draft a QB in the first 4 rounds.) before they are "forced" to take a OLB.

That all seems like it would work. Except I'd want to give Chickillo a shot at winning the starting job and/or bring in a Moats-level player to replace Jones.

I still don't see much point in keeping Jones; he's basically replaceable with any average player, except who knows, the average player might turn out to have some other upside. Or Chickillo might have some upside. If not, no big loss.

The DL piece is the key to the whole thing IMO. Get more depth and at least an above-average NT, and that's going to help the pass rush a hell of a lot.

That being said, they will likely throw money at him AND draft a better player in the first round.

Unfortunately, I bet you're exactly right.

86WARD
11-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Tomlin's first move as the new coach was to anoint James Harrison (an undrafted player) as the starter (while allowing a team leader & Pro Bowl player in Joey Porter go).

Ramon Foster was undrafted, but has been the starter, over guys drafted in the mid rounds.

...et cetera...

If I recall correctly, Brown didn't get a chance until Sanders got injured...

steelreserve
11-13-2015, 02:05 PM

...et cetera...

Mostly because of Jones and Archer. Probably Ziggy Hood too, although part of the problem with him was we didn't really have anyone better. Overall I don't think it's a perception only about draft status. Just sticking with players for too long because of non-football reasons. Way-past-their-prime veterans being in the lineup by default (the late Taylor and Polamalu); certain high picks getting extended, REALLY EXTENDED looks; some players because they were signed to a contract that carried some dead money if cut, and we'd look stupid if we gave up on it immediately (Cam Thomas); sometimes just stupid pet projects (Blake, Justin Brown).

I'm not saying I fully agree with that assessment, that's just why people are saying it.

teegre
11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
If I recall correctly, Brown didn't get a chance until Sanders got injured...

Close.

AB and Sanders had to compete for a helmet on Sundays. AB actually beat out Sanders on opening day (returned a kickoff for a TD), but Sanders eventually jumped him on the depth chart....

...as Sanders should have: Sanders was very good as a rookie. Against the NYJets, Sanders broke Revis' ankles all game long. In fact, Sanders was so good as a rookie, that if hadn't gotten injured in XLV, I think that the Steelers offense would have easily kept up with the Packers.

Steeldude
11-13-2015, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, Jones will get more playing time this Sunday with Harrison out. I hope Chickillo plays some.

fansince'76
11-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Way-past-their-prime veterans being in the lineup by default (the late Taylor and Polamalu)...

I think LeBeau had a LOT to do with that...

86WARD
11-14-2015, 05:09 AM
Close.

AB and Sanders had to compete for a helmet on Sundays. AB actually beat out Sanders on opening day (returned a kickoff for a TD), but Sanders eventually jumped him on the depth chart....

...as Sanders should have: Sanders was very good as a rookie. Against the NYJets, Sanders broke Revis' ankles all game long. In fact, Sanders was so good as a rookie, that if hadn't gotten injured in XLV, I think that the Steelers offense would have easily kept up with the Packers.

I think Sanders jumped him but then there was a streak of 2 games in 2011 that Sanders was injured, didn't play and that's when Brown really grabbed hold and never looked back...even though on occasion, Brown was posting really good numbers...if I recall correctly.

hawaiiansteeler
11-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately, Jones will get more playing time this Sunday with Harrison out. I hope Chickillo plays some.

this game is a great opportunity for either Jarvis Jones to step up and show he's the future at ROLB or for the Steelers to finally see once and for all that he isn't.

86WARD
11-14-2015, 06:10 PM
this game is a great opportunity for either Jarvis Jones to step up and show he's the future at ROLB or for the Steelers to finally see once and for all that he isn't.

I basically said the same in the Harrison thread. It's a great opportunity to show something against Cleveland...

Count Steeler
11-14-2015, 06:20 PM
I basically said the same in the Harrison thread. It's a great opportunity to show something against Cleveland...

I think we end up showing him the door. Let the Chick era begin!

86WARD
11-14-2015, 07:57 PM
I think we end up showing him the door. Let the Chick era begin!

I'll give him Sunday to prove something and it better be a lot...at this point, I agree...

Craic
11-14-2015, 08:27 PM

I think you're right. At the beginning of the year I had high hopes for him. He seemed to play well at the beginning of the previous two years until he got injured. So, I thought, he'd start well again this year. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be so. If his extension is not that big and we have the space, I don't mind extended him for one more year to see if he develops (after all, he did sit out basically a year to a year and a half with injuries), it it's taken players like Harrison and Timmons time to develop into their game, but I would want to cut a player with more potential upside than him at this point.

Count Steeler
11-14-2015, 08:47 PM
I'll give him Sunday to prove something and it better be a lot...at this point, I agree...

I don't see the physical strength and I don't see the mental fortitude. He seems to get easily knocked over(a la Archer) and 1-2 tackles a game is not exactly awe inspiring. And those tackles usually come to him, not him making it happen.

I wanted him to succeed as well, but, how much rope do you give him? Maybe move him over to the Left side and lets see what he has. I think Dupree is strong enough to try the Right side. So flip the pairings. Put Dupree with Moats and put Jones with Harrison (of course, Harrison is out this game).

hawaiiansteeler
11-15-2015, 11:14 PM
by Dale Lolley

@ How about Jarvis Jones getting some pressure on Johnny Manziel while working against Joe Thomas?

Ryan Shazier also had an active day, making six tackles, a sack and a tackle for a loss.

Steelers fans like to throw the bust word around a lot. Those two are playing. They’re not busts.

You want a bust? How about Cleveland’s Barkevious Mingo? He didn’t have a tackle in this game and only made his presence known when he was flagged for roughing Roethlisberger when he hit him in the face as he was pushed on by.

If that’s not good enough for you, how about corner Justin Gilbert, Cleveland’s first-round pick last year?

He’s been so bad, he was a healthy scratch Sunday. And you saw what Cleveland has at cornerback.

Those two guys were top-10 picks.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1612226-in-the-end-it-was-ben

Steeldude
11-15-2015, 11:30 PM
Steelers fans like to throw the bust word around a lot. Those two are playing. They’re not busts.

You want a bust? How about Cleveland’s Barkevious Mingo? He didn’t have a tackle in this game and only made his presence known when he was flagged for roughing Roethlisberger when he hit him in the face as he was pushed on by

Lolley is an idiot on a good day. How many times has Jones done absolutely nothing? Yet he is a player while Mingo is a bust? Haha.

Wasn't Jones was being thrown around for most of the day? The guy us useless. I hope the FO isn't blind, but something tells me Jones will remain a Steeler. Ugh!

steelreserve
11-15-2015, 11:34 PM
by Dale Lolley

@ How about Jarvis Jones getting some pressure on Johnny Manziel while working against Joe Thomas?

I'll be honest: I didn't see much of this. Maybe one or two plays where he created pressure. One "sack" where he was lying on the ground and the QB tripped over his own man. And a BUNCH of plays where he rushed hard and was easily redirected 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and out of the play.

I think those in the latter category were what was mistaken for "pressure," when it was actually the offensive tackle's plan all along. Just let him rush as hard as he wants and push him out the back into no man's land. Looked exciting at first - hey, he's getting a push - but no, the QB was never in any danger. Kind of like those fly balls in baseball where the batter swings as hard as he can and everyone yells because the ball goes way up in the air, then you realize it's just an ordinary fly ball. So about a dozen of those today for Jarvis.

Heyward and Tuitt were getting all kinds of pressure all day. Moats was getting pressure. Jones, not so much.

Steeldude
11-15-2015, 11:37 PM

...et cetera...

Explain why Jones starts : ) It isn't because of ability. He sucks in camp, pre-season and regular season, but gets the nod. I am referring to 1st round draft status. What other reason could there be for starting Jones?

teegre
11-16-2015, 12:00 AM
Explain why Jones starts : ) It isn't because of ability. He sucks in camp, pre-season and regular season, but gets the nod. I am referring to 1st round draft status. What other reason could there be for starting Jones?

Agreed.

But, outside of him...

Mojouw
11-16-2015, 12:49 AM
Look at the snap counts. Look who is playing when game is on the line. Team is trying to walk a knife edge in balancing one last attempt to salvage development and value out of Jones and get the better player on the field in Harrison.

Short term versus long term.

Favoritism or logic? Not sure what the answer is, but I know it isn't simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojouw
11-16-2015, 12:51 AM
Also, why is Lolley an idiot? He seems to react to things in an analytical and dispassionate manner.

Not saying he is always right, but he is better than most of the lazy hacks that get paid to cover the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelreserve
11-16-2015, 02:49 AM
Look at the snap counts. Look who is playing when game is on the line. Team is trying to walk a knife edge in balancing one last attempt to salvage development and value out of Jones and get the better player on the field in Harrison.

Short term versus long term.

Favoritism or logic? Not sure what the answer is, but I know it isn't simple.

If the team wanted to do everything in its power to win in the short term and get max development/evaluation, it would be Dupree rotating with Harrison, and Moats rotating with Chickillo. Jones is a known quantity at this point as far as this season is concerned, and the fact is all but Chickillo are proven to be better, and for development there's more to be gained by seeing if Chickillo can cut it or not. Jones should really only come in anymore because of injury, or if three out of the other four need a rest somehow.

fansince'76
11-16-2015, 05:37 AM
Also, why is Lolley an idiot? He seems to react to things in an analytical and dispassionate manner.

Not saying he is always right, but he is better than most of the lazy hacks that get paid to cover the team.

:iagree:

Bouchette has been mailing it in for YEARS now. And do I really have to mention Ron Cook?

Steel Peon
11-16-2015, 12:30 PM
I was already suspect of our *ahem* drafting abilities the last 5 years when we picked this guy in the first round, so I was skeptical at best about him. Then I endeavored to examine several of his college highlight reels and I really didn't like anything I saw, at least nothing worth a first round draft pick. So, it only became a shit show since then, and even Worilds looked decent by comparison to Jones. I can see no need to tag Jarvis, transitional or otherwise, so I'm afraid it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeEIpYRcGcA

86WARD
11-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Lol.

hawaiiansteeler
11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
How many times has Jones done absolutely nothing?

Wasn't Jones being thrown around for most of the day? The guy is useless.

against the Brownies yesterday Jarvis Jones split a sack with Arthur Moats and directly caused another sack by pancaking All-Pro LT Joe Thomas in the back field causing Johnny Eightball to trip over him. JJ also recovered a fumble and knocked Hawkins out of the game with a crushing block on Mitchell's INT return.

the Clowns rushed for only 15 yards on 14 carries, and Jones played more snaps than any other Steelers OLB so he must have been doing something right...

Count Steeler
11-16-2015, 05:21 PM
against the Brownies yesterday Jarvis Jones split a sack with Arthur Moats and directly caused another sack by pancaking All-Pro LT Joe Thomas in the back field causing Johnny Eightball to trip over him. JJ also recovered a fumble and knocked Hawkins out of the game with a crushing block on Mitchell's INT return.

the Clowns rushed for only 15 yards on 14 carries, and Jones played more snaps than any other Steelers OLB so he must have been doing something right...

I would love nothing more than to see Jarvis even get close to his draft worth. I didn't see yesterday's game, but that sounds encouraging. 6 more games to make a statement. Oh, but he is up for a contract extension? Hmmm.... Don't want to reward a guy that is likely to disappear once the ink is dry.

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Comment From Guest: I was surprised to see Chickillo play so many snaps on defense? Are they that high on him, or is that a slam on Jones?

Ed Bouchette: Joey Porter wants to give his guys a breather, which is a reason they rotate. More passes in the game these days means more pass rushes which means more stress on what Mike Tomlin might call the "windage.''

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

hawaiiansteeler
11-18-2015, 12:08 PM
by Craif Wolfley

Jarvis Jones just did something I don’t think I remember Harrison ever doing. Jarvis ran over Browns LT Joe Thomas and got half a sack. I mean THE Joe Thomas, 8-Pro Bowls and counting Joe Thomas. Jarvis got under and up as Coach Noll would say, and Joe went down on his back like tall timber. I wouldn’t be surprised if James has trucked Thomas a time or two, but I don’t think James has gotten a sack off Joe.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1613234-wolfley-s-view-from-the-sideline

Steel Peon
11-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Ed Bouchette: Joey Porter wants to give his guys a breather, which is a reason they rotate. More passes in the game these days means more pass rushes which means more stress on what Mike Tomlin might call the "windage.''

But then they leave Deangelo Williams in the entire game, except maybe 1 snap? I know this thread is about Jarvis, but the lack of rotation at RB has been confusing the crap outta me.

86WARD
11-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Tomlin likes to run the wheels off.

hawaiiansteeler
11-20-2015, 12:28 AM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/b8G9nCjNkXKODrrzrTA2lvsYbog=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4280491/jarvis_moats_sack_q3.0.gif

This sack is a perfect example of how the Steelers' front seven players can win the one-on-one battles. This is not a pass rush that is exotic or designed to trick anybody, this is simply beating players man to man. Watch above as Jarvis Jones explodes through the Browns' left tackle, Joe Thomas, to force this sack. Thomas has long been a franchise player for Cleveland and has been voted to the Associate Press' All-Pro team for the past seven consecutive seasons. If Jones can do this consistently to strong pass protectors, he will be another problem for teams to consider when they plan to escape the Steelers' pass rush.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2015/11/19/9758854/steelers-film-room-pittsburgh-pass-rush-terrorizes-browns-qb-johnny

86WARD
11-20-2015, 05:58 AM
Jones has proven that he can NOT do that consistently. He's also proven that he can NOT explode through a LT more often than he has been able to do it. Much more often...

Jones got nice pressure there but the article fails to say that Thomas tripped over the guard's left foot in the process.

Steeldude
11-20-2015, 05:59 AM
Jones needs the LT to trip too.

teegre
11-20-2015, 06:41 AM
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/b8G9nCjNkXKODrrzrTA2lvsYbog=/600x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4280491/jarvis_moats_sack_q3.0.gif

This sack is a perfect example of how the Steelers' front seven players can win the one-on-one battles. This is not a pass rush that is exotic or designed to trick anybody, this is simply beating players man to man. Watch above as Jarvis Jones explodes through the Browns' left tackle, Joe Thomas, to force this sack. Thomas has long been a franchise player for Cleveland and has been voted to the Associate Press' All-Pro team for the past seven consecutive seasons. If Jones can do this consistently to strong pass protectors, he will be another problem for teams to consider when they plan to escape the Steelers' pass rush.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2015/11/19/9758854/steelers-film-room-pittsburgh-pass-rush-terrorizes-browns-qb-johnny

That sack goes to Cam Heyward.

Heyward destroys the LG so badly, that the OC has to come over to help... and in doing so, the OC knocks the LG sideways, which trips the LT.

Give Heyward that $8 million. He deserves it.

Shoes
11-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Jones also missed the tackle on Manziel in the backfield which he ran in for a TD. After the review it was placed at the 1 where Cam Thomas stopped him

86WARD
11-20-2015, 07:51 AM
BTW if Manziel reacts fast enough...he has a nice amount of open field directly in front of him to escape...

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 09:59 AM

What the hell is that block by #72 of the Browns on Moats? He punches to blunt his initial rush, but when Moats slides to the inside, the RT just kinda stands there and doesn't react. Looks funny at this angle.

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 10:34 AM

That's not a good play at all by Jones. Thomas was handling him easily and he was well on his way to getting blocked out of the play by being shoved out the back.

Thomas was doing that to him all day. Jones reminded me of the martial arts student on his first day who attacks a black belt by rushing straight at him, and the black belt uses his own momentum to toss him aside easily about 30 times in a row, until he gives up and realizes that he'd better go home and learn what the hell he's doing. The only difference on that play was that a dude tripped Thomas from behind. And Jones STILL fell down.

It STILL wouldn't have been a sack if not for great plays by two other pass rushers, and Manziel running straight into the place where Jones fell. I can't believe Jones is being praised for what is basically the blocking equivalent of the Butt Fumble.

lipps83
11-20-2015, 10:43 AM

It is more than obvious that Thomas is tripped on that play. His right leg is tripped up by #74 and you can even see #74's left leg go back as it is pulled backwards by the right leg of Thomas.

Jones is nothing more than the lucky beneficiary of a trip.

Jones didn't explode anything on that play except for probably his own underwear when he unexpectedly fell due to his awesome pass rush prowess....

hawaiiansteeler
11-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Decision coming for Jarvis Jones

By F. Dale Lolley November 19, 2015

http://www.observer-reporter.com/storyimage/OR/20151119/SPORTS0403/151119304/AR/0/AR-151119304.jpg

Outside linebacker Jarvis Jones has five career sacks.

PITTSBURGH – Jarvis Jones might never do enough to satisfy Steelers fans.

They’ll always point to his first-round draft pick status and expect him to be a double-digit sack, game-changing player.

In his third season, Jones is rounding into form as a solid contributor for the Steelers, who enter their bye week with a 6-4 record. That is enough for now for the former University of Georgia star.

“I think Jarvis’ development is getting a lot better just from a scheme standpoint,” said Steelers outside linebackers coach Joey Porter. “The stats aren’t there for what we all look at, but how we’re playing and what we’re asking him to do, he’s playing the run and he’s playing the pass. He’s giving great effort all the time. I think he’s doing a good job and is just going to get better.”

Jones’ 22 tackles, two sacks, one forced fumble and two fumble recoveries aren’t going to turn anyone’s head. When you consider he’s played in just over 41 percent of the defensive snaps this season, it’s not that bad.

But the Steelers will have to decide after this season if that production merits picking up the fifth-year option on Jones’ contract. Twenty of 32 teams picked up their option on their first-round picks from the 2012 draft, including the Steelers with David DeCastro. The Steelers could try to sign Jones at a lower cost or allow him to become a free agent after 2016.

It would be in their best interest to figure out how big of a part Jones will play on defense in the future. The Steelers have rotated outside linebackers this season, with Jones working largely on the right side with James Harrison and Arthur Moats and rookie Bud Dupree playing on the left side.

It’s been a strict rotation for the most part with Jones and Moats, the starters, playing together and Harrison and Dupree working in tandem.

Jones’ numbers compare favorably with those of Harrison, who has 25 tackles and two sacks and one forced fumble, so he’s making progress. That’s especially true considering Harrison played more than 50 percent of the time.

“I just feel like it’s what’s best for the team right now,” said Jones of the rotation. “Coach Porter has done a good job of rotating us out there, trying to keep us around the same numbers. It’s not going to happen because drives vary and we rotate on series. Keeping us fresh and allowing us to rotate is what’s best for the team and it’s what all of us embrace.”

With Harrison sitting out last Sunday’s 30-9 win over Cleveland, Jones got a chance to play a bigger role and rotate less. He played two-thirds of the defensive snaps and responded with two tackles, half a sack and a fumble recovery. He just missed on another sack when quarterback Johnny Manziel slipped out of his grasp and scrambled 11 yards.

It doesn’t sound like much until you consider he was working against Cleveland’s All-Pro left tackle Joe Thomas, a player who has given Harrison fits even in his prime.

“I felt like I had some good rushes. I missed one dramatically,” Jones said. “It’s just something I’ve got to work on and improve on.

“I give Joe the utmost respect. He’s been a tough guy since I’ve been here. I think I had some pretty good rushes. I wouldn’t say (it’s a) confidence builder, but I’ve got something to build off of.”

It was the kind of disruptive play the Steelers hoped for out of Jones when they selected him in the first round of the 2013 draft.

Jones struggled in his rookie season, eventually losing a starting job to Jason Worilds. In his second season, a wrist injury at Carolina cost him the majority of the season.

His five career sacks aren’t what fans expected from a player who led all FCS teams in 2012 with 14.5 sacks while being voted the SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

The Steelers changed responsibilities for the outside linebackers. In previous years, the defensive line was asked to take on blockers to allow the linebackers to make the plays; now the line is getting upfield at the snap, leaving the linebackers to fend for themselves with offensive tackles more often.

As a result, the team’s sacks are up – Pittsburgh ranks 4th in the NFL with 28 – but its outside linebackers combined for just 10.

“Everybody wants their individual stats. But you also want to do what you can to get out of stadiums with wins,” said Jones. “That’s not what’s going on right now. Our coach builds our game plan around the team. It’s not like one guy is standing out. Everybody has to do their job. That’s our main focus and that’s how we’re going to play it.”

Odds and end zones

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger leads the NFL in yards per pass attempt at 8.94. … Jones’ two fumble recoveries is tied for second in the league. … The Steelers faced five teams in the top 10 in points per game in their first 10 games. They face just one in their final six games. Pittsburgh ranks fifth in the league allowing 19.1 points per game.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151119/SPORTS0403/151119304/1264

86WARD
11-20-2015, 08:42 PM
The Steelers changed responsibilities for the outside linebackers. In previous years, the defensive line was asked to take on blockers to allow the linebackers to make the plays; now the line is getting upfield at the snap, leaving the linebackers to fend for themselves with offensive tackles more often.

Jones doesn't have the strength or skill to fend for himself.

Steeldude
11-21-2015, 07:51 AM
That's not a good play at all by Jones. Thomas was handling him easily and he was well on his way to getting blocked out of the play by being shoved out the back.

Thomas was doing that to him all day. Jones reminded me of the martial arts student on his first day who attacks a black belt by rushing straight at him, and the black belt uses his own momentum to toss him aside easily about 30 times in a row, until he gives up and realizes that he'd better go home and learn what the hell he's doing. The only difference on that play was that a dude tripped Thomas from behind. And Jones STILL fell down.

It STILL wouldn't have been a sack if not for great plays by two other pass rushers, and Manziel running straight into the place where Jones fell. I can't believe Jones is being praised for what is basically the blocking equivalent of the Butt Fumble.

It's similar to how people were saying he was doing good last year until he became injured. Jones sucked last year. He showed nothing at all.

I hope the FO sees this too.

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 02:01 PM
DUPREE PROMOTION A SNAP

Rookie outside linebacker Bud Dupree got his first start Sunday. Tomlin attributed the decision as “the continued growth and development of Bud. We want to increase the number of opportunities he gets.”

Dupree was moved from being paired with Harrison to being part of a duo with Jarvis Jones, another first-round pick. Ironically, Harrison and Arthur Moats played more snaps.

Asked if Jones might be in line for more work, Tomlin was hesitant to expound and cited outside linebacker coach Joey Porter's comments from May, when Porter said the 37-year-old Harrison would be limited to 25 snaps per game (he's well exceeded that).

“I'm not going to get into outlining my intended rotation with (the media), because then I back myself into a corner, and I'm asked more questions regarding that,” Tomlin said. “Part of it for me is educating young coaches like coach Porter. He opened that can of worms up in the spring talking about rotations. He and I have answered that question repeatedly. Hopefully, it's lesson learned for him.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9546139-74/tomlin-boykin-game#ixzz3tCAnG4NF

86WARD
12-02-2015, 07:29 PM
I really can't see how it's possible they would want to keep him...he's brought zero to the table.

Count Steeler
12-02-2015, 07:31 PM
I really can't see how it's possible they would want to keep him...he's brought zero to the table.

Especially considering he is playing for a new contract, so this is the very best he has. I sure hope Colbert comes to his senses and either signs him for 2-3 mil or let him walk. He is a back up at best.

86WARD
12-02-2015, 09:11 PM
I'd rather just let him walk. He's not even showing back up talent at this point.

Born2Steel
12-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Look at it this way...If Timmons is let go, Jones is let go, and Shazier turns out to be the guy who can't stay on the field, our LB corps is toast. Spence has played well, but has not been an every down guy. Bud has been awesome as a rookie, great draft pick, IMO. Moats has his moments as well but I would love to see more from a veteran. James? Chickillo? When we already need cover CBs desperately I don't see Jones leaving. Timmons, probably is out, but I see Jones staying in black and gold. For now.

Steeldude
12-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Look at it this way...If Timmons is let go, Jones is let go, and Shazier turns out to be the guy who can't stay on the field, our LB corps is toast. Spence has played well, but has not been an every down guy. Bud has been awesome as a rookie, great draft pick, IMO. Moats has his moments as well but I would love to see more from a veteran. James? Chickillo? When we already need cover CBs desperately I don't see Jones leaving. Timmons, probably is out, but I see Jones staying in black and gold. For now.

IMO, It would pretty much be the same. Jones serves no purpose. Shazier plays sparingly anyway. Timmons' play has dropped.

The jury is still out on Dupree. Harrison could play another year. Moats will be a good backup. Chickillo is pretty much better than Jones right now. Spence can take Timmons' spot. Then add a couple of free agent LBs and/or quality draft pick.

Jones needs to go. If he stays the LB corps will be toast. He will take time away from better players. You know how Tomlin loves to play inferior players(see Blake). Haha.

Tomlin hasn't really produced any superstars on defense since he arrived. I wouldn't call Timmons a superstar. Heyward hasn't reached superstar status.

NCSteeler
12-06-2015, 11:22 PM
If he keeps improving and have decent games like tonight, I could see them picking up his option.

katmandu
12-06-2015, 11:50 PM
If he keeps improving and have decent games like tonight, I could see them picking up his option.I saw him throw two guys (not ball carriers) violently to the ground tonight. Not sure why but I liked his gumption.

Jarvis ended the night with ZERO tackles and ZERO assists.

Hmmm....

katmandu
12-07-2015, 12:05 AM
He did have a nice INT at the beginning of the game.

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=B14BF JDM93qEFPSqhkobyc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvFq1A_SIkxeXg OtHqIUaezWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

86WARD
12-07-2015, 07:14 AM
He played well at the beginning and then kind of disappeared...

steelerdude15
12-07-2015, 09:43 AM

You're right. He started off good with the interception and also had a couple of nice blitzes to get near the quarterback, but he is quiet after that.

Steeldude
12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Jarvis ended the night with ZERO tackles and ZERO assists.

Hmmm....

Standard.

I hope Tomlin doesn't re-sign him because he made an INT(splash play).

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM

He needs to push himself. Harrison didn't stop after 1 sack. Or 2 sacks. Or blowing up at least 2 3rd and short.

Jones needs to find a motor and turn it on and then throw away the switch.

Steeldude
12-07-2015, 04:25 PM
He needs to push himself. Harrison didn't stop after 1 sack. Or 2 sacks. Or blowing up at least 2 3rd and short.

Jones needs to find a motor and turn it on and then throw away the switch.

He doesn't have that motor to find.

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 05:26 PM

I'm afraid you are right.

cold-hard-steel
12-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Jarvis i think has some upside.He is one we have brought along slowly.He does seem to make the "all important splash plays" when he gets a chance to be on the field. Not everything he does gets noticed in the outcome of the game.But in my opinion it is there. If you all don't think he is not an asset to this team,especially with youth on his side and an actual chance to have a job in the transition between Dick and Keith i would have to question your logic.He is not on the field every down. They switch ya know. Keep it fresh for the crunch time.

katmandu
12-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Jarvis i think has some upside.He is one we have brought along slowly.He does seem to make the "all important splash plays" when he gets a chance to be on the field. Not everything he does gets noticed in the outcome of the game.But in my opinion it is there. If you all don't think he is not an asset to this team,especially with youth on his side and an actual chance to have a job in the transition between Dick and Keith i would have to question your logic.He is not on the field every down. They switch ya know. Keep it fresh for the crunch time.He's still weak. He needs to shadow James in the weight room big time.

NCSteeler
12-07-2015, 11:46 PM
I work with lots of Georgia fans and they all said and say that he ate up lesser competition while disappearing against NFL quality lineman. Too bad they don't work for our scout department

86WARD
12-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I work with lots of Georgia fans and they all said and say that he ate up lesser competition while disappearing against NFL quality lineman. Too bad they don't work for our scout department

@NC Seriously...ask them what they thought of Boykin returning kicks.

polamalubeast
12-08-2015, 05:48 PM
The pick of Jarvis Jones was bad but the draft in 2013 in the nfl was awful.....

NCSteeler
12-09-2015, 01:48 AM
@NC Seriously...ask them what they thought of Boykin returning kicks.

HE holds lots of their records for KO

UGA Kick & Punt Return Records

KICKOFF RETURNS – SEASON

38 – Brandon Boykin, 2011
38 – Brandon Boykin, 2009
34 – Brandon Boykin, 2010
28 – Asher Allen, 2007
28 – Gene Washington, 1974
27 – Lindsay Scott, 1979
26 – Ramarcus Brown, 2008
22 – Bruce Thornton, 2000
22 – Scott Woerner, 1977
21 – Chad Wilson, 1990
KICKOFF RETURNS – CAREER

110 – Brandon Boykin, 2008-11
71 – Gene Washington, 1973-76
52 – Lindsay Scott, 1978-81
47 – Asher Allen, 2006-08
43 – Andre Hastings, 1990-92
37 – Hines Ward, 1994-97
36 – Kent Lawrence, 1966-68
KICKOFF RETURN YARDAGE – GAME

190 – Scott Woerner vs. Kentucky, 1977 (6 ret.)
187 – Brandon Boykin vs. South Carolina, 2009 (4 ret.)
184 – Brandon Boykin vs. South Carolina, 2011 (7 ret.)
159 – Andre Hastings vs. Kentucky, 1990 (3 ret.)
149 – Asher Allen vs. Florida, 2007 (6 ret.)
146 – Brandon Boykin vs. Arkansas, 2009 (6 ret.)
146 – Ramarcus Brown vs. Alabama, 2008 (6 ret.)
141 – Jack Montgomery vs. Florida, 1970 (5 ret.)
139 – Kent Lawrence vs. VMI, 1966 (3 ret.)
132 – Gene Washington vs. Clemson, 1973 (2 ret.)
KICKOFF RETURN YARDAGE – SEASON

988 – Brandon Boykin, 2009 (38 ret.)
850 – Brandon Boykin, 2011 (38 ret.)
825 – Brandon Boykin, 2010 (34 ret.)
690 – Asher Allen, 2007 (28 ret.)
669 – Gene Washington, 1974 (28 ret.)
610 – Ramarcus Brown, 2008 (26 ret.)
532 – Lindsay Scott, 1979 (27 ret.)
546 – Scott Woerner, 1977 (22 ret.)
529 – Lindsay Scott, 1978 (20 ret.)
KICKOFF RETURN YARDAGE – CAREER

2,663 – Brandon Boykin, 2008-11 (110 ret.)
1,637 – Gene Washington, 1973-76 (71 ret.)
1,152 – Lindsay Scott, 1978-81 (52 ret.)
1,110 – Asher Allen, 2006-08 (47 ret.)
1,096 – Andre Hastings, 1990-92 (43 ret.)
839 – Scott Woerner, 1977-80 (35 ret.)
818 – Ramarcus Brown, 2005-08 (32 ret.)
810 – Arthur Marshall, 1988-91 (32 ret.)
795 – Kent Lawrence, 1966-68 (36 ret.)
740 – Hines Ward, 1994-97 (37 ret.)
692 – Tyson Browning, 2002-05 (38 ret.)
637 – Wayne Swinford, 1962-64 (36 ret.)
AVERAGE KICKOFF RETURN – SEASON

36.0 – Gene Washington, 1973 (8 for 288)
34.3 – Tim Worley, 1988 (9 for 309)
29.3 – Fred Lane, 1986
28.1 – Andre Hastings, 1990
27.8 – Arthur Marshall, 1989
27.8 – Wayne Swinford, 1962
AVERAGE KICKOFF RETURN – CAREER (MIN. 20)

25.6 – Ramarcus Brown, 2005-08 (32 for 818)
25.5 – Andre Hastings, 1990-92 (43 for 1,096)
25.3 – Arthur Marshall, 1988-91
24.2 – Brandon Boykin, 2008-11
24.0 – Scott Woerner, 1977-80
23.6 – Asher Allen, 2006-08
23.5 – Fred Lane, 1984-86
23.4 – Preston Ridlehuber, 1963-65
23.1 – Gene Washington, 1973-76
22.4 – Lindsay Scott, 1978-81
22.1 – Kent Lawrence, 1966-68
KICKOFF RETURN TOUCHDOWNS – SEASON

3 – Brandon Boykin, 2009
2 – Gene Washington, 1973
KICKOFF RETURN TOUCHDOWNS – CAREER

4 – Brandon Boykin, 2009-P
2 – Gene Washington, 1973-76
LONGEST KICKOFF RETURN

100 – Brandon Boykin vs. UK 2010, South Carolina & Tennessee, 2009
99 – Lindsay Scott vs. LSU, 1978
96 – Lamar Davis vs. Tulane, 1940
96 – Jimmy Campagna vs. Auburn, 1952
96 – Gene Washington vs. Clemson, 1973
95 – Vassa Cate vs. South Carolina, 1939

Hawkman
12-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Hell, lets give him a try!

steelreserve
12-09-2015, 10:44 AM
The pick of Jarvis Jones was bad but the draft in 2013 in the nfl was awful.....

but ... the experts said it was one of the deepest drafts in a long time!

And so was the 2015 draft, the 2014 draft, the 2012 draft, the 2011 draft, the 2010 draft ...

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Wow man, you guys are so hard on Jarvis. Didn't he have a wrist fracture that kept him unable to play early in his short tenure? Missed a lot of time on the field because of that injury. It's not like losing a finger or two. Your wrist is quite a different injury.I will tell you right now that he is just starting to get over "that distal radius fracture". I had one myself and i'm old and stupid. I am clever enough to know it will take a year or more to get over that type of injury.When it has healed you don't have the trust in it you once had.I think he is gaining that trust only now.

Craic
12-09-2015, 12:31 PM

Absolutely not true. He's working through every play, never giving up. His problem isn't motor, is that he depended too much on finesse and talent, and didn't realize until (possibly) too late that it takes strength to play in the NFL as well.

Rotorhead
12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't think he is terrible, but his ceiling isn't so high. He will be an average OLB, fortunately playing opposite Dupree may help him garner better stats as most teams will need to gameplan to stop Dupree. Just like Woodley was helped by the fact JH was opposite him.

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Absolutely not true. He's working through every play, never giving up. His problem isn't motor, is that he depended too much on finesse and talent, and didn't realize until (possibly) too late that it takes strength to play in the NFL as well.

I'm more inclined to believe it is a trust issue with the wrist injury.

cold-hard-steel
12-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm more inclined to believe it is a trust issue with the wrist injury.

Coupled with the fact there is no blankin way you are gonna be in the weight room liftin any type of weights.You count yourself lucky if you can wipe your own ass with that injury.

86WARD
12-09-2015, 01:03 PM
HE holds lots of their records for KO

That's what I'm saying...

cold-hard-steel
12-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Now that he is getting healthy you guys will be crying a different tune. I am getting mad about this discussion,but go cry somewhere else down the pike. He has made plays man where you been ? Cause he was a number 1 pick and deemed him not worthy? Shame on you and i feel for you. He was injured man. How dare you indispicable bastards cut on a player coming back with an injury like that.