PDA

View Full Version : William Gay fined for wearing purple cleats in honor of mother

hawaiiansteeler
10-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Steelers' William Gay fined for wearing purple cleats in honor of mother

October 28, 2015
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2015/10/26/ca72,77,1830,1249/NFL-28.JPG

Steelers cornerback William Gay was fined by the NFL for wearing purple shoes in the Steelers’ 23-13 loss in Kansas City on Sunday.

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and Gay wore purple to represent his mother, who lost her life in a domestic violence incident.

Jerrold Colton, Gay’s agent, tweeted the news earlier today. Colton said the fine was $5,797, the sum for a uniform code violation.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Steelers-William-Gay-fined-for-wearing-purple-shoes-in-Kansas-City-game-mother/stories/201510280168

tube517
10-28-2015, 02:56 PM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but the NFL learned about domestic violence from the Ray Rice situation and wants to prevent it..... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

teegre
10-28-2015, 03:14 PM
I will say this as simply as possible:

Fuck Roger Goodell.

TeeTee
10-28-2015, 03:44 PM
I will say this as simply as possible:

Fuck Roger Goodell.

Your anger is totally misplaced; all Goodell does is what the owners want him to do. It's akin to being angry at the president and Congress when all they are doing is what they are told to do by the global elite.

Steeldude
10-28-2015, 04:01 PM
I actually back this. If players are allowed to do whatever they want to their uniforms the NFL will look ridiculous. In other words, where does it stop?

86WARD
10-28-2015, 04:40 PM
B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but the NFL learned about domestic violence from the Ray Rice situation and wants to prevent it..... :rolleyes: :jerkit:

Ironic that the color is purple...

These "uniform inspectors" just see what they want to see. Gay has been wearing these for something like the last 2-3 years and has never been fined...now all of a sudden he's getting fined? Fucking Cam Heyward...:asskick:

I hear Harrison's in line for a fine for wearing a Black Helmet.

TeeTee
10-28-2015, 05:29 PM
I actually back this. If players are allowed to do whatever they want to their uniforms the NFL will look ridiculous. In other words, where does it stop?

/\ /\ /\ This. A line has to be drawn somewhere, plus, the NFL isn't making money on this cause, as they are with the cancer pink racket.

Butch
10-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Your anger is totally misplaced; all Goodell does is what the owners want him to do. It's akin to being angry at the president and Congress when all they are doing is what they are told to do by the global elite.

Yeah sure he does and on a completely un-biased basis. That's why he lets one man wear stuff to honor his daughter all year long, but as soon as someone else wants to honor their loved one...well you know we can't have that.

My beef with him has always been his blatant bias or lack thereof. Why did he come down so hard on Peyton but not belicheat? He is the most 2 faced hypocrite I know of.

TeeTee
10-28-2015, 05:38 PM
Yeah sure he does and on a completely un-biased basis. That's why he lets one man wear stuff to honor his daughter all year long, but as soon as someone else wants to honor their loved one...well you know we can't have that.

My beef with him has always been his blatant bias or lack thereof. Why did he come down so hard on Peyton but not belicheat? He is the most 2 faced hypocrite I know of.

Maybe you should be asking why did league owners want to come down so hard on Sean but give a pass to Belicheat? The owners call the shots. All Goodie does is react to their wants. He makes $44 million a year, doing exactly what the owners want. Maybe Kraft has more pull than Saints owner? It happens.

86WARD
10-28-2015, 05:38 PM
/\ /\ /\ This. A line has to be drawn somewhere, plus, the NFL isn't making money on this cause, as they are with the cancer pink racket.

I think people (myself at least) are just pointing out the inconsistencies in the league more so than the "it should be okay to make a statement" type argument...

Count Steeler
10-28-2015, 05:40 PM
LC Greenwood should be in the hall!

Craic
10-28-2015, 05:41 PM

This. They know the situation. They know what will happen if they do. If they choose to do it, then they also choose to pay the fine. It's their own fault. Personally, I think it's money well spent, as news of this fine will get him as much or more press time than if he made an announcement about domestic violence. But getting mad that he did get fined is a bit silly, IMO.

tube517
10-28-2015, 05:51 PM
I think people (myself at least) are just pointing out the inconsistencies in the league more so than the "it should be okay to make a statement" type argument...

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

If you have the rule, fine EVERYONE, not just pick and choose.

Craic
10-28-2015, 05:51 PM

I get that, but I also get that it's a little zealous to think the league can catch everything. There's 1472 players in uniform each week (outside of bye-weeks). There's also an average of around 65 plays a game in the NFL, with 22 people involved (22 people X 65 plays X 14 games = 20,020 individual actions per weekend (discounting bye weeks). When you look at it from that perspective, things are pretty consistent on the whole. The problem is the few inconsistencies are paraded because of the 24x7 sports news world.

Do I think the NFL can be more consistent in certain areas? Absolutely, but I do not believe it's as dire as everyone makes it out to be.

teegre
10-28-2015, 05:52 PM
THIS. ALL OF THIS.

Exactly.

Either all of it is okay, or none of it is. Goodell picks & chooses who he fines...

Craic
10-28-2015, 06:02 PM
That's why he lets one man wear stuff to honor his daughter all year long.

Are you two referring to Devon Still of the Bengals and his daughter who has Leukemia? If so, there's a whole lot more difference between those situations than you might think. The entire team was involved in raising money, and in one game opposing cheerleaders (that just sounds funny as I type it) donned Still jerseys as they honored his daughter while a tribute was played to her (Patriots game, in Boston). That kind of involvement means league approval beforehand, and was probably pushed by the Bengal front office before any of it started.

The rule specifically states that a player must get prior approval. My guess is, he did, in an ongoing family trauma the entire team was behind.

As they say, the devil's in the details.

86WARD
10-28-2015, 06:42 PM
I get that, but I also get that it's a little zealous to think the league can catch everything. There's 1472 players in uniform each week (outside of bye-weeks). There's also an average of around 65 plays a game in the NFL, with 22 people involved (22 people X 65 plays X 14 games = 20,020 individual actions per weekend (discounting bye weeks). When you look at it from that perspective, things are pretty consistent on the whole. The problem is the few inconsistencies are paraded because of the 24x7 sports news world.

Do I think the NFL can be more consistent in certain areas? Absolutely, but I do not believe it's as dire as everyone makes it out to be.

There are 32 uniform inspectors in the NFLs Compliance Department...so it's not as crazy as you would think...

tube517
10-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Are you two referring to Devon Still of the Bengals and his daughter who has Leukemia? If so, there's a whole lot more difference between those situations than you might think. The entire team was involved in raising money, and in one game opposing cheerleaders (that just sounds funny as I type it) donned Still jerseys as they honored his daughter while a tribute was played to her (Patriots game, in Boston). That kind of involvement means league approval beforehand, and was probably pushed by the Bengal front office before any of it started.

The rule specifically states that a player must get prior approval. My guess is, he did, in an ongoing family trauma the entire team was behind.

I believe Gay wore the purple shoes last year and didn't get fined. Why? (And yes, I know that was very soon after the Ray Rice backlash)

From last year:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000420245/article/william-gays-purple-cleats-part-of-antidomestic-violence-efforts

Gay escaped a fine last week, and he thinks he might have slid by again this week. The FedEx envelopes from the league office generally come on Wednesdays, he said, and his locker on Thursday was still free of any ominous mail

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000420245/article/william-gays-purple-cleats-part-of-antidomestic-violence-efforts

For every game last season, Still wrote the message “Leah Strong” on his eye black in support of his 4-year-old daughter, Leah, who was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer last year.

“When I did it, I had no idea you weren't allowed to do it,” Still said. “It was just something I wanted to do for my daughter to take her out on the field with me. I didn’t really get any backlash from the league.”

I know there are political games going on behind the scenes for the league to "protect" the shield.

st33lersguy
10-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Roger Gotohell is cool with domestic violence

Butch
10-28-2015, 08:08 PM
Maybe you should be asking why did league owners want to come down so hard on Sean but give a pass to Belicheat? The owners call the shots. All Goodie does is react to their wants. He makes $44 million a year, doing exactly what the owners want. Maybe Kraft has more pull than Saints owner? It happens.

Maybe he had more pull??? really??? They only refer to him (kraft) as the assistant Commissioner. He gave the cheats organization a slap on the wrist for spygate what a freaking joke. From what I am hearing that pissed some of the owners off so much that they held his feet to the fire on deflategate.

It took Paul Tagliabue to put the bountygate farce to rest. I could see were some owners (maybe jones, since he lost peyton to the saints) who were for ruining the saints the way they did. Thank goodness some of the players fought him and won their cases.

IMHO Go to hell listens to a select few owners the rest shut up and color. Similar to the Steelers who voted against the CBA because it gave him to much power, but it got passed despite their efforts, so guess what they have to play by the rules that others have set. I am willing to bet there are owners who don't like the way he is handling the mess, but they have to defend the game.

vader29
10-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Does Eric Berry get fined for the bow and arrow move he did after his interception? Pretty much the same thing Keisel got fined for.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/658359306396418048

86WARD
10-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Does Eric Berry get fined for the bow and arrow move he did after his interception? Pretty much the same thing Keisel got fined for.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/658359306396418048

Keisel got fined for that? Why don't I remember that?

salamander
10-28-2015, 09:44 PM
Keisel got fined for that? Why don't I remember that?

He was actually penalized but not fined.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/12/29/3813226/steelers-brett-keisel-fined-sack-bengals-nfl-week-16

fansince'76
10-28-2015, 10:58 PM

With all due respect, I disagree. If there's one thing Goodell's office is consistent at, it's complete and absolute inconsistency, particularly when it comes to applying the personal conduct policy. That's why it's always a guessing game/crapshoot as to how much Player X is going to be fined for a certain offense, or whether he's even going to be fined at all. And what's more, the penalty Player X receives seems to be mostly dictated by the level of media coverage/outrage his particular offense generates. It shouldn't be like that.

“When I did it, I had no idea you weren't allowed to do it,” Still said. “It was just something I wanted to do for my daughter to take her out on the field with me. I didn’t really get any backlash from the league.”

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=13932051

Doesn't sound like a guy who got prior approval from the league to me. And it also seems to me if the Bengals would have gotten approval for it on his behalf that they would have informed him of it - him saying he had no idea it was against the NFL's uniform code kinda suggests that didn't happen either.

I could see the league's uniform cops missing it if he had done it for a week or two, or even a month out of the season. But for an entire season? Not buying it.

(DeAngelo) Williams was fined for wearing 'Find the Cure' on his eye black during the Pittsburgh's game against Kansas City. Williams, an active member of the breast cancer awareness community, wears the message to honor his mother, who died following her battle with breast cancer in 2014.

...Williams has worn 'Find the Cure' eyeblack for the past five years, and was never fined until Wednesday.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-continues-to-lose-its-way-with-recent-fines-of-Steelers-40618117

I mean, really...

86WARD
10-29-2015, 04:54 AM
These 32 clowns see what they want to see...

Count Steeler
10-29-2015, 07:18 AM

So what exactly does the crack NFL Video Review Committee do?

Craic
10-29-2015, 05:30 PM
So what exactly does the crack NFL Video Review Committee do?

If I recall correctly, only review a very limited number of plays as defined by the rule book. No?

- - - Updated - - -

I could see the league's uniform cops missing it if he had done it for a week or two, or even a month out of the season. But for an entire season? Not buying it.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/NFL-continues-to-lose-its-way-with-recent-fines-of-Steelers-40618117

I mean, really...

Yeah, never mind on that one. It's pretty stupid. Again, I can see how the league would miss it (even five years worth) if it was never brought to the league's attention, but to decide to fine the player during breast cancer awareness month?

Count Steeler
10-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Craic

The NFL Officiating Department also reviews every play from every game and refers potential violations to the Football Operations compliance team.

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/fines-appeals/

tube517
10-30-2015, 10:44 AM
http://lockerdome.com/happygilmore/6170048381332289/8164816380636433

https://cdn1.lockerdome.com/uploads/ee672f890048c49e17114b6fd09cffdb34abfcd91981c9008b 488d21390ea1a3_large

86WARD
10-30-2015, 11:10 AM
What makes that funny is that it's not that far fetched...lol.

Craic
10-30-2015, 11:11 AM
Craic

http://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/fines-appeals/

For violations . . . I was referring to in game reffing.

As for fineable violations, I'm still ticked there wasn't a fine on the Ben R. hit. It's pretty much exactly what a few others have been penalized and fined for over the last few years.

Count Steeler
10-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Officials http://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/history-of-the-official/

The league’s 119 officials spend hours each week studying film, meeting with their crews and reviewing evaluations by their supervisors. League officials, supervisors and former coaches grade each of the seven officials in a crew on every play of every game from Art McNally GameDay Central at NFL headquarters in New York. All of this ensures that the third team is as prepared as the players with one goal in mind: officiating consistency across the league.

http://operations.nfl.com/images/content/officials/headshot-thumbs/thumb_blandino.pngDean Blandino
NFL vice president of officiating

We are evaluating every play from every game each week, looking at not only the calls we made, but also the calls that should’ve been made. We’re trying to make sure our officials are trained and prepared properly.

http://operations.nfl.com/images/content/officials/headshot-thumbs/thumb_riveron.pngAl Riveron
Senior Director of Officiating

They are evaluated on every single play, whether they pull a flag out of their pocket or not. Everyone thinks you evaluate it when you throw your flag. No. You have a lot more situations during a game where you don’t throw the flag. And those are really the hardest ones to call.

http://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/behind-the-stripes-timeline/

Polamalu Princess
10-30-2015, 06:51 PM
Stupid.

stillers4me
10-31-2015, 07:20 AM
I understand that has got to be rules for this. I know all too well how people take advantage of any little opportunity. We have uniform rules at work. On Fridays, they let us wear either team shirts or a different scrub top of our choice that's not our regular uniform. So what happens? People wear T shirts with anything at all on them, big sloppy Bengals hoodies, or a team shirt in the middle of the week if the Bengals, Wildcats or Reds play during the week.

If players were allowed to wear anything they wanted for their personal causes, it would quickly get out of control. It would be nice if the league picked one weekend a year where players could show their support of whatver they wanted by picking a way pre-approved by the league......either the black out message or colored cleats, whatever.

This would be a generous and compassionate gesture by the league ...... so never mind.

Butch
10-31-2015, 07:40 AM
The issue isn't that they get fined for wearing what the NFL says they can't wear or even the cause they are supporting, the issue is how inconsistently the rule is enforced. Just like the NFL does with damn near every rule they make.

If you make a rule, but don't enforce it across the board it reeks of partiality. Sad thing is this is an easy one to get right.

Devon Stills was allowed to honor his daughter all year last year and that was GREAT, but when other players try to do the same and get penalized for it that is complete Bull Shit.

A penalty that is enforced to protect certain QBs and then completely ignored when it happens to Ben is again just another example of how inconsistent the NFL is and this is why damn near everyone who Hate go to hell is on his case. Rules are made up and applied to only certain team/players while others are above reproach. The NFL is one huge Kangaroo court. Insert yackty sacks song here.