PDA

View Full Version : Heroes/Goats

Steeldude
10-25-2015, 03:54 PM
I am surprised this thread wasn't created yet.

Heroes: Bell

Goats: Tomlin, Haley, Blake, Jarvis Jones

st33lersguy
10-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Heroes: Bell and Boswell

Goats: Everyone else, chief of which are dumbasses Bumlin and Gayly

Shoes
10-25-2015, 05:41 PM
I am surprised this thread wasn't created yet.

Heroes: Bell

Goats: Tomlin, Haley, Blake, Jarvis Jones

Agreed, I would add Boswell along with Bell, who is a very nice surprise so far.

lipps83
10-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Agreed, I would add Boswell along with Bell, who is a very nice surprise so far.

Suisham getting hurt may have been a blessing in disguise. Every field goal of Boswell's has been right down the middle, and the 51 yarder had room to spare on length. They wouldn't even try Suisham from 51 unless it was to win the ball game.

Devilsdancefloor
10-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Hero: Bell

Goat: coaching

86WARD
10-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Hero: Bell, Brown. Goats: coaches and defense. Learn how to tackle.

tube517
10-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Goats: Defense for the missed tackles and for allowing the 30th ranked offense on 3rd downs to convert so often

Craic
10-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I agree with much of what's here. While I'm typically pretty good with Tomlin, I do not like his going for it on 4th down in the first half. Kick the field goal at least when we have a backup QB.

Single Play Goat: Brown for batting the ball into an interception. Make the play, or knock the ball down. Reminds me of the time Ward kicked the ball twenty yards into the air.

(My qualifications for Single Play Goat: a player who, in one play, may have changed the course of the game by not just making a mistake [such as blown coverage or a dropped pass] but literally doing something so far out of the norm for him and the position that it leaves you shaking your head).

Mojouw
10-26-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree with much of what's here. While I'm typically pretty good with Tomlin, I do not like his going for it on 4th down in the first half. Kick the field goal at least when we have a backup QB.

Single Play Goat: Brown for batting the ball into an interception. Make the play, or knock the ball down. Reminds me of the time Ward kicked the ball twenty yards into the air.

(My qualifications for Single Play Goat: a player who, in one play, may have changed the course of the game by not just making a mistake [such as blown coverage or a dropped pass] but literally doing something so far out of the norm for him and the position that it leaves you shaking your head).

Here's my thing with the 4th down call - live by the sword; die by the sword. Tomlin makes a gutsy call in San Diego and instead of overtime where his gassed defense likely gets beat, the Steelers steal a game. Same line of thinking with the game on Sunday. Figure you're only getting so many red-zone opportunities against a good defense with Landry at the helm. Put 7 on the board there, totally different game. Rolled the dice and it didn't work out this time. I would still rather roll those dice every time.

But I am one of those who thinks punting is stupid in general and no one should ever do it!

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/11/15/5105958/fourth-down-pulaski-academy-kevin-kelley

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/the-case-against-punting

http://eml.berkeley.edu/~dromer/papers/PAPER_NFL_JULY05_FORWEB_CORRECTED.pdf

hawaiiansteeler
10-26-2015, 03:09 PM
But I am one of those who thinks punting is stupid in general and no one should ever do it!

I know what you're saying but there are always exceptions:

it's 4th and 18 from your own 5 yard line and you're leading by 6 points with 1 minute left in the game....you have to punt the ball.

zulater
10-26-2015, 03:09 PM

If you're going single play goat give one to DeAngelo Williams. That 3rd down drop by him was huge, Had we gone in for the td there then we take the lead at 7-3. The fact that K.C. played that entire game with the lead was huge for them. A struggling team gets down on itself when it gets behind, and they also become more careless with the ball and make other sort of mistakes such as penalties missed assignments etc...

In my opinion that was an early game turning point. Got to outfit DeAngelo with some horns for that. Also on the one fourth down carry I thought he had the yard if he sticks with the play as it was called. Orat least he gets a lot closer than he did. To wit, the play appeared to be designed to go behind DeCastro. DeCastro and Wallace appeared to be getting a little forward surge. Stick your nose up Danny ass and go for the ride and you get your yard, I;m almost positive of it. Instead he goes off script, hesitates and cuts in behind Foster and Vileneuva, who are both being knocked back.

Those two mistakes there cost us anywhere from 7 to 11 first half points. And just as important the games momentum.

hawaiiansteeler
10-26-2015, 04:23 PM
according to PFF, AB and DeCastro graded out the highest offensively and Landry Jones and Wallace the lowest.

on defense, James Harrison and Golden were the highest while Shazier and Timmons were the lowest:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-antonio-brown-david-decastro-receive-top-grades-from-pff/

zulater
10-26-2015, 04:31 PM
according to PFF, AB and DeCastro graded out the highest offensively and Landry Jones and Wallace the lowest.

on defense, James Harrison and Golden were the highest while Shazier and Timmons were the lowest:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-antonio-brown-david-decastro-receive-top-grades-from-pff/

Hate to say it, but maybe Shazier would have been better to take another week off? The Williams -Spence duo were manning that position just fine. Sure tackling and they were actually managing their coverage assignments pretty well too. Remember it was Williams tip on perfect coverage that led to Timmons interception vs the Cards.

tube517
10-26-2015, 04:36 PM

I wonder if Timmons' turf toe injury (preseason) is still lingering?