PDA

View Full Version : Jason La Canfora: Steelers OC Todd Haley a strong candidate for Dolphins opening

JayC
10-25-2015, 11:21 AM
"Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley has some strong support for the Dolphins head-coaching position already, league sources said, notably from Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells -- highly influential in that organization -- and is expected to receive ample consideration for the position after the season.

Tight ends coach Dan Campbell enters his second game as the Dolphins' interim coach Sunday, but internal discussions are ongoing about potential permanent replacements and Parcells strongly endorses Haley, whose offense in Pittsburgh has put up record numbers in recent years and who has previous head-coaching experience in Kansas City.

While owner Stephen Ross will set his sights on more prominent names -- like New Orleans' coach Sean Payton, another Parcells disciple -- he has had tremendous difficulty landing those types of targets in the past and could again fail this offseason. Most of his hires, including new head of football operations Mike Tannenbaum, have ended up from within that Parcells family tree, and while some coaches would have trepidation about joining this franchise Haley is expected to have interest.

Haley has managed to forge a positive relationship with Ben Roethlisberger after a rocky start. He has transformed Pittsburgh's offense and would be up for the project of trying to finally develop Ryan Tannehill. It would not surprise some in the Steelers' organization if Haley is pursued by Miami after the season, and chatter about Haley's attractiveness to the Dolphins has grown in the coaching community.

Haley's tenure with the Chiefs was challenging, but he has had success on the offensive side of the ball in several spots and his teams have generally played an attractive style of football. Ross has a tough time selling his team in a crowded South Florida entertainment scene and the Dolphins have generally been lackluster on the offensive side of the ball."

link: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25352974/steelers-oc-todd-haley-a-strong-candidate-for-dolphins-opening

hope not :pray:

fansince'76
10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
IMO, we could do better than Haley.

He has transformed Pittsburgh's offense...

Our offense ranked 21st in the league in 2011 (Arians' last year on the job). It also ranked 21st in 2012. In 2013, after Haley had been on the job two full years, it ranked 20th.

So you'll have to pardon me for feeling that the offense's "transformation" had a whole heck of a lot more to do with the arrivals of Bell and Bryant (and the marked improvement of the OL since Munchak arrived) than anything Haley did, but that's just me, I guess. :noidea:

Munchak is the coach I'm actually fearful of losing.

TeeTee
10-25-2015, 11:55 AM

Our offense ranked 21st in the league in 2011 (Arians' last year on the job). It also ranked 21st in 2012. In 2013, after Haley had been on the job two full years, it ranked 20th.

So you'll have to pardon me for feeling that the offense's "transformation" had a whole heck of a lot more to do with the arrivals of Bell and Bryant (and the marked improvement of the OL since Munchak arrived) than anything Haley did, but that's just me, I guess. :noidea:

On the money. So many times OC get sparkling reps when all they did was be at the right place at the right time? Any OC would shine with Ben, AB, Bell, OL, etc. Haley will FAIL as HC again. He is a douche and players don't respect him.

fansince'76
10-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Really? 3rd and 13 and we run a WR screen?

Again, this dude can walk for all I care.

Steelman
10-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Looks like the Dolphins are doing just fine with Dan Campbell as the coach.

tube517
10-25-2015, 01:33 PM
I think Fichtner would do fine. Continue this playbook and let Ben handle more playcalling. Keep Munch, Mann, Saxon.

86WARD
10-25-2015, 01:52 PM
That would doom this team...

fansince'76
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM

LOL, not hardly. Ben makes better calls than Haley does.

st33lersguy
10-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Dolphins have outscored their opponents 79-10 the last 6 quarters. They may just keep Campbell

- - - Updated - - -

And Todd Haley is nothing without Ben, so I would stay away from Haley

smokin3000gt
10-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Unless we have the best coach in the league at every position we can always do better but at this point I'd like to see him stay. If for no other reason, I don't want to see the offense starting over with a new coach and new playbook that will take a couple years for everyone to adjust and get comfortable with. I'd like to ride this one out for a few years.

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Exactly. Haley is free to leave as far as I'm concerned.

86WARD
10-25-2015, 03:09 PM

True...but depending on who Tomlin hires, if he doesn't mix with the talent on this team, they'd be doomed. I have zero confidence that Tomlin would make the "right" hire...

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 03:24 PM

I think too many fans are quick to forget 2012 and the first half of 2013. Personally, I saw improvement in this offense when Art II stopped talking about run/pass ratio and kept his mouth shut.

tube517
10-25-2015, 03:26 PM

Naw, the talent and playbook are set. Fichtner would just need to ride Ben's coattails.

The more scary loss would be Munchak. Haley's offense didn't really click until Munch got here to solidify the OL

Godfather
10-25-2015, 03:55 PM
A lot of Steelers fans also support Haley for the Miami head coaching job.

SteelMayhem72
10-25-2015, 05:31 PM
Haley is not going anywhere as head coach...i think he learned his lesson

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Exactly. Haley is free to leave as far as I'm concerned.

our offense was 2/10 on 3rd down conversions today, none after the first quarter...

Shoes
10-25-2015, 05:43 PM
our offense was 2/10 on 3rd down conversions today, none after the first quarter...

Unbelievable!

Count Steeler
10-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Meanwhile, Dolphins put up 38 and 46 points in consecutive weeks? Are they trying to trim down their scoring ability?

Shoes
10-25-2015, 06:36 PM
Meanwhile, Dolphins put up 38 and 46 points in consecutive weeks? Are they trying to trim down their scoring ability?

Exactly.

86WARD
10-25-2015, 07:04 PM

Lol...they might...it is the Dolphins...