PDA

View Full Version : Does CB Cortez Allen have a future with the Steelers?

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 12:37 AM
Four downs: Does CB Allen have a future with Steelers?

By The Tribune-Review
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015

WHAT TO DO WITH CORTEZ?

Cortez Allen is the Steelers' highest-paid cornerback and fourth-highest paid player in terms of cap number. Not only can't he get on the field, but he also was placed on injured reserve Saturday, ending his season.

Allen spoke to the media last week with calculated responses to specific questions about his health and frustration of not playing. Translation: Allen is healthy enough to play, but the coaching staff doesn't trust him to be out there.

So what becomes of him after the season. Can the Steelers cut ties with him two years into his four-year extension worth $24.6 million? If the Steelers cut Allen before June 1, it would result in $4 million in dead money but a cap savings of $1.7 million. The Steelers could absorb that hit.

The issue is the Steelers don't have any cornerbacks under contract other than Allen and rookies Senquez Golson (IR) and Doran Grant (practice squad) for next season. William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell and Brandon Boykin are unrestricted free agents. That alone should ensure Allen will be around for another season.

ALLEN'S REMAINING CONTRACT

Year Salary Cap number

2016 $4.4M $5.75M

2017 $4.3M $5.65M

2018 $4.3M $5.65M

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9313376-74/steelers-allen-season#ixzz3pYTK7LP4

StillCurtains
10-25-2015, 01:24 AM
Four downs: Does CB Allen have a future with Steelers?

By The Tribune-Review
Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015

WHAT TO DO WITH CORTEZ?

Cortez Allen is the Steelers' highest-paid cornerback and fourth-highest paid player in terms of cap number. Not only can't he get on the field, but he also was placed on injured reserve Saturday, ending his season.

Allen spoke to the media last week with calculated responses to specific questions about his health and frustration of not playing. Translation: Allen is healthy enough to play, but the coaching staff doesn't trust him to be out there.

So what becomes of him after the season. Can the Steelers cut ties with him two years into his four-year extension worth $24.6 million? If the Steelers cut Allen before June 1, it would result in $4 million in dead money but a cap savings of $1.7 million. The Steelers could absorb that hit.

The issue is the Steelers don't have any cornerbacks under contract other than Allen and rookies Senquez Golson (IR) and Doran Grant (practice squad) for next season. William Gay, Antwon Blake, Ross Cockrell and Brandon Boykin are unrestricted free agents. That alone should ensure Allen will be around for another season.

ALLEN'S REMAINING CONTRACT

Year Salary Cap number

2016 $4.4M $5.75M

2017 $4.3M $5.65M

2018 $4.3M $5.65M

to read rest of article:

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9313376-74/steelers-allen-season#ixzz3pYTK7LP4

Unfortunately he doesn't. I say unfortunately because we'll never no how good Allen could have been here. Some may disagree, but he didn't have a bad game against New England. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. Who had a good game in that game? He already was behind Blake on the depth chart entering the game.

His fate seems to be sealed on a bogus PI call against New England. Edelman initiated the contact on that call. He gets a knee injury during that game. His injury has been listed ever since, but he has been a participant in practice for several weeks. He recently stated that he is trying to stay positive with his lack of playing time. Now they place him on IR? I smell foul play. They're using his knee as an excuse to keep him off the field.

In my opinion he was not given too much of a chance. He seems to have a very short leash. He's clearly a better corner than Blake. I don't even need to mention Boykin. There is no way you keep two corners that have better talent on the bench. In the meantime, Blake gets abused all over the field and continues to be trotted out there.

Has anyone noticed that Tomlin never has any criticizm of Blake despite his bad play? You want to know why? Because Tomlin has a personal affinity to Blake. Blake is his pet. Looking at the circumstances it's absolutely clear. There is no other team in this league that would even consider starting Blake.

TD's & Beer
10-25-2015, 06:45 AM
CB Cortez Allen (knee) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Allen missed the last five games and wasn't close to returning. The Steelers will continue to go with Antwon Blake and Ross Cockrell as their top corners. Owed $5.75 million in 2016, Allen is a candidate for offseason release. Oct 24 - 4:05 PM

​Nope

86WARD
10-25-2015, 07:48 AM
I said similar in the other thread. I'm going they release him and save the headache and money, but they may have to keep him to have a body there...

ALLD
10-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Allen will be in the Cards or Titans training camp next season. No more black and gold for him.

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 02:24 PM
I said similar in the other thread. I'm going they release him and save the headache and money, but they may have to keep him to have a body there...

I agree, Cortez Allen is the only veteran CB under contract for next season. the only other CBs signed for next year are rookies Golson and Grant...

hawaiiansteeler
10-27-2015, 12:43 AM
Cortez Allen’s Knee History Could Make Him NFL History Sooner Or Later

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/cortez-allens-knee-history-could-make-him-nfl-history-sooner-or-later/

86WARD
10-27-2015, 05:56 AM
Hopefully sooner. I just want to see a full fledged revamp of the DEfensive backfield. Every single one out and all new in.

Drazo85
10-27-2015, 07:03 AM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/64503829.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
10-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Hopefully sooner. I just want to see a full fledged revamp of the DEfensive backfield. Every single one out and all new in.

next season I believe we'll have young CBs in Cockrell, Golson and Grant and we'll re-sign Gay to be the veteran. and I would be surprised if we didn't draft another CB to add to the mix also.

but we need to draft a safety early, Will Allen is getting up there in age and Shamarko is as good as gone.

teegre
10-27-2015, 01:00 PM
but we need to draft a safety early, Will Allen is getting up there in age and Shamarko is as good as gone.

Golden has looked good,and Mitchell is playing better (although, I'd still draft a replacement for Mitchell).

Hence...

R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC
R2: Kendall Fuller, CB, Va Tech
R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

CB: Golson
SS: Cravens
FS: Mitchell/Golden
CB: Fuller
NB: Gay
DB: Grant/Sutton

hawaiiansteeler
10-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Golden has looked good,and Mitchell is playing better (although, I'd still draft a replacement for Mitchell).

Hence...

I like it, but I doubt the Steelers will start a rookie at safety.

Mitchell and Golden will most likely be next season's Day 1 starters, but we desperately need some depth behind them.

86WARD
10-27-2015, 01:22 PM
next season I believe we'll have young CBs in Cockrell, Golson and Grant and we'll re-sign Gay to be the veteran. and I would be surprised if we didn't draft another CB to add to the mix also.

From what I read, Cockring is a free agent. CB is probably the second hardest position to come in as a newly drafted player and have success. I wouldn't bank on any draft picks unless they are a "lock".

hawaiiansteeler
10-27-2015, 01:34 PM
From what I read, Cockring is a free agent. CB is probably the second hardest position to come in as a newly drafted player and have success. I wouldn't bank on any draft picks unless they are a "lock".

you're right, Cockring will be an UFA. I'm just betting that the Steelers will be aggressive in re-signing him to a new contract.

teegre
10-27-2015, 02:12 PM
I like it, but I doubt the Steelers will start a rookie at safety.

Mitchell and Golden will most likely be next season's Day 1 starters, but we desperately need some depth behind them.

True.

Opening day 2016:
CB: Gay
SS: Golden
FS: Mitchell
NB: Fuller

Week 10 2016:

Count Steeler
10-27-2015, 05:23 PM
True.

Opening day 2016:
CB: Gay
SS: Golden
FS: Mitchell
NB: Fuller

Week 10 2016:

Somewhere over the rainbow...

teegre
10-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Somewhere over the rainbow...

Well, I am a resident of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

hawaiiansteeler
10-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Guest: Do you think Adams and Cortez are done as steelers?

Gerry Dulac: I think Cortez Allen is. You don't get benched twice and put on IR twice in two years and get a third try. Especially when he is scheduled to count $5.75 million against the cap in 2016. Even if they cut him, he will still count just slightly more than $4 million

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-28-15/stories/201510280178

TeeTee
10-31-2015, 02:59 PM

Hence...

Teegre, you seem to be forgetting we need a new OLB as well.

86WARD
10-31-2015, 06:43 PM
Teegre, you seem to be forgetting we need a new OLB as well.

Or two...

They're going to need to sign 2-3 nice free agents in order to field a half decent defense...

B&GFever
10-31-2015, 08:26 PM
cap be damned they got to let him go , its clear they are not going to play him so use the money elsewhere ..

2 seasons in a row he ended up on IR for no clear reason ( to familiar to me reminds me of the Sweed situation )