PDA

View Full Version : Villanueva looks to be 'way more physical' vs. Chiefs

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Alejandro Villanueva looks to be 'way more physical' vs. Chiefs

By Neal Coolong

The man has been in war zones. There can’t be much that intimidates his soul while on an NFL field. Not even prodigious pass rusher Justin Houston, one of many talented pass rushers Alejandro Villanueva will face Sunday when the Steelers take on the Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

The former Army Ranger and U.S. Army Captain will make his first NFL start Sunday, a week after playing a little more than one half in the Steelers’ win over the Cardinals.

Villanueva didn’t give himself high marks for his performance in that game.

“I think I could have played better,” Villanueva said, according to Ralph N. Paulk of the Tribune Review. “A lot of times, in your first NFL game, it’s a little surreal, and you’re not as involved in game preparation. I could have been way more physical, and I could have finished plays a little better. I know how to fix it. I could have been more consistent on the field.”

The vast majority of Houston’s snaps come from the offensive left side, meaning Marcus Gilbert will have the pleasure of primarily handling Houston, who has 26 sacks in his last 21 games, including one against the Steelers in Week 16 last year.

“Houston has four sacks,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed. “That’s a lot of sacks for a 1-5 football team. In most instances, teams that are playing with the lead minimize the potential for those types of things.”

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/10/24/steelers-alejandro-villanueva-news-offensive-line-depth-chart-marcus-gilbert/

hawaiiansteeler
10-26-2015, 12:10 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers need to move on following loss in Kansas City

by DALE LOLLEY

KANSAS CITY – Ben Roethlisberger sidled on over to left tackle Alejandro Villanueva and put his arm around the big man.

“Don’t worry about it,” Roethlisberger said. “You have to move on and put that behind you.”

The Pittsburgh Steelers should be thinking the same way after losing to the Kansas City Chiefs, 23-13.

Villanueva, making his first career NFL start in place of injured Kelvin Beachum, gave up a sack just before the two-minute warning to Tamba Hali, who stripped quarterback Landry Jones of the ball and the Chiefs recovered.

Chances are, even if the Steelers score on that drive, it wouldn’t have mattered in what turned out to be a 23-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. But that didn’t mean Villanueva didn’t take it hard.

“When you give up a sack and put them in a drive to win the game, and it’s a strip-fumble, it’s a terrible feeling,” said Villanueva.

The group to feel terrible after this game, however, should have been the defense.

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1603398-steelers-must-put-loss-behind-them

lipps83
10-26-2015, 08:21 AM
I thought he played fairly well being matched up against Hali, who is one of the better ends in the NFL. It really could have been much, much worse.

Shoes
10-26-2015, 11:15 AM
He's going to be fine.

teegre
10-26-2015, 02:23 PM
He's going to be fine.

Indeed.

Add Villanueva to the long list of LTs that Tamba Hali has beaten... a looong list.

Craic
10-26-2015, 04:09 PM
If I remember right, the announcer said it was the first time Villanueva was beat by him as well. It's one of those "It only takes one time" moments. Didn't get a chance to focus on him much as I was watching the game in a restaurant.

zulater
10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
He was only responsible for the last sack. Not two.

Craic
10-26-2015, 05:17 PM
He was only responsible for the last sack. Not two.

:huh: two? Was that in the article or something?

hawaiiansteeler
10-26-2015, 07:21 PM

Tamba Hali had two sacks...

zulater
10-26-2015, 08:57 PM

I think Trib Review laid two sacks on him in one of their game stories.

Craic
10-26-2015, 11:27 PM
Tamba Hali had two sacks...

I think Trib Review laid two sacks on him in one of their game stories.

Ahh, one of the two then. (maybe both).

ETL
10-26-2015, 11:36 PM
The other sack was a stunt. Hall practically went up the A gap between center and left guard to make the sack. It should have been Foster or the center handling him on that play. It as not Villaneuvas fault.

I for one am ECSTATIC at how well he played.

86WARD
10-27-2015, 05:58 AM
Just hope his play holds up when Ben comes back...only takes one mistake...

Texasteel
10-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Indeed.

Add Villanueva to the long list of LTs that Tamba Hali has beaten... a looong list.

Agree completely. If you put a black mark against every name that has been beaten by Hali, there is not meany good LTs in this league. Am actually pleased, and a little surprised on Villanueyas play so far.

teegre
10-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Agree completely. If you put a black mark against every name that has been beaten by Hali, there is not meany good LTs in this league. Am actually pleased, and a little surprised on Villanueyas play so far.

Exactly.

As the mantra goes: O-linemen only get noticed when they give up a sack. Villanueva played very well for 59/60 snaps... which is a 99% success rate. Yet, all that people will remember is that one sack.

No other position is as highly scrutinized.

hawaiiansteeler
10-27-2015, 09:18 PM
Exactly.

Villanueva played very well for 59/60 snaps... which is a 99% success rate.

don't exaggerate...

59/60 is only a 98.33% success rate, but hey who's counting? :countdown

teegre
10-28-2015, 03:25 PM
don't exaggerate...

https://vimeo.com/65921206

tube517
10-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Exactly.

As the mantra goes: O-linemen only get noticed when they give up a sack. Villanueva played very well for 59/60 snaps... which is a 99% success rate. Yet, all that people will remember is that one sack.

No other position is as highly scrutinized.

don't exaggerate...

I knew it!!! You trickster. Do you own Ray Bans or Oakleys? :chuckle:

fansince'76
10-28-2015, 04:24 PM

You got something against Vuarnets? :chuckle:

86WARD
10-28-2015, 04:43 PM

Doesn't matter does it? They all come from the same place...

tube517
10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Doesn't matter does it? They all come from the same place...

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBU5hIRhyus3NMd1SrGHUBdgCvlDnjj Y2SfeVmYLE8STC2SAyO4y4DbJo

86WARD
10-28-2015, 05:25 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBU5hIRhyus3NMd1SrGHUBdgCvlDnjj Y2SfeVmYLE8STC2SAyO4y4DbJo

They just look more cool on some people...

teegre
10-28-2015, 05:55 PM

The brand of sunglasses is called Fears... and I own them.