PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign QB Tyler Murphy Off Practice Squad, CB Cortez Allen Placed On IR

polamalubeast
10-24-2015, 03:05 PM
As expected, the Pittsburgh Steelers made a roster move on Saturday and it included Tyler Murphy being promoted from the practice squad to the 53 man roster. To make room for Murphy on the roster, cornerback Cortez Allen was placed on injured reserve. Murphy will now dress on Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs and serve as the backup to Landry Jones, who will be making his first career start.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-sign-qb-tyler-murphy-off-practice-squad-cb-cortez-allen-placed-on-ir/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/steelers-sign-qb-tyler-murphy-off-practice-squad-cb-cortez-allen-placed-on-ir/)

teegre
10-24-2015, 03:07 PM
That's who I figured it'd be.

zulater
10-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Does Cortez Allen ever play another down as a Steeler? .

teegre
10-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Good question.

The Magic 8-Ball says: "Ask again later..."

tube517
10-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Nope. That contract, this "injury" and last year's nightmare sealed his fate.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Nope. That contract, this "injury" and last year's nightmare sealed his fate.

Cortez Allen's contract is the 2nd worst long-term contract ever given to a Steelers player after Woodley's...

tube517
10-24-2015, 03:40 PM
Cortez Allen's contract is the 2nd worst long-term contract ever given to a Steelers player after Woodley's...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/future-of-steelers-cb-cortez-allen-now-in-doubt/

Hmmm...what is Willie Gay's contract status next year?

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 03:45 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/future-of-steelers-cb-cortez-allen-now-in-doubt/

Hmmm...what is Willie Gay's contract status next year?

Willie Gay, Antwon Blake and some guy named Brandon Boykin will all be UFAs at the end of this season...

zulater
10-24-2015, 03:56 PM

Woodley looked to be playing up to his contract until he blew his hammie against the Patriots in the middle of the 11 season. Allen has been a stiff since the day he signed the new deal.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Woodley looked to be playing up to his contract until he blew his hammie against the Patriots in the middle of the 11 season. Allen has been a stiff since the day he signed the new deal.

very true, I can understand why they gave Woodley the contract they did.

with Cortez Allen, the Steelers simply panicked after losing Keenan Lewis...

ALLD
10-24-2015, 04:40 PM
I believe by placing him on IR that insurance picks up some of the salary too.

Count Steeler
10-24-2015, 05:49 PM
So is Cortez the Scarecrow or the Tin Man? I think he has the brains, but he lacks the heart.

BTW, what injury does he have that is season ending?

steelreserve
10-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Does Cortez Allen ever play another down as a Steeler?

Only question is whether he's released before or after June 1, 2016.

Willie Colon is neck-and-neck with him for that honor ...

Shoes
10-24-2015, 06:33 PM
Flush this head case and his 6 mil a year. This guy has more than a knee issue. He'll be hooking up with Sweed soon.

Steelman
10-24-2015, 06:49 PM
So is Cortez the Scarecrow or the Tin Man? I think he has the brains, but he lacks the heart.

BTW, what injury does he have that is season ending?

Brandon Boykin probably hurt his feelings. :lol:

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:50 PM

I want to say I hope not. I've rooted for him through this but I'm more leaning towards him not ever coming around and getting it at this point. I'd rather see them cut ties and use the money elsewhere...he's not even worth depth at this point.

Steelman
10-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Flush this head case and his 6 mil a year. This guy has more than a knee issue. He'll be hooking up with Sweed soon.

No joke. With the money we've been paying this guy to do absolutely nothing we could have signed a decent corner or safety.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 07:00 PM
Willie Colon is neck-and-neck with him for that honor ...

very good point, but at least Willie Colon left us with a few good memories...

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z156/artvandelay1999/willie1.gif

ETL
10-24-2015, 07:00 PM
No joke. With the money we've been paying this guy to do absolutely nothing we could have signed a decent corner or safety.

Every team has people that they regret signing. I will defend our FO and say that they are one of the better crew of people when it comes to signings. The team will take a shot and spend money at time. I don't recall this large outcry when Cortez Allen signed his extension. We all thought it was a good signing at the time. It just didn't work out. I don't fault the FO for trying.

BTW - Antonio Brown, Ben, Gay, Will Allen and Harrison to me are bargains.

Steelman
10-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Every team has people that they regret signing. I will defend our FO and say that they are one of the better crew of people when it comes to signings. The team will take a shot and spend money at time. I don't recall this large outcry when Cortez Allen signed his extension. We all thought it was a good signing at the time. It just didn't work out. I don't fault the FO for trying.

I'm not bemoaning the original signing. Personally I thought it was a bit much for a guy who hadn't done a whole lot, but I do distinctly remember that was the market at the time and the bigger names had signed for larger deals elsewhere (Verner, for one) so you're right-- it was considered to be a decent deal based on potential coupled with the fact that Taylor was about ready to retire.

Obviously it didn't work out so I just hope that they don't try to hold on to him forever in hopes that he'll pan out. He's getting paid a lot of money that he could possibly be a good corner...someday. So at what point do you cut your losses and move on? That's more where I'm coming from.

Certainly agree RE the other bargains on the team.

Hawkman
10-24-2015, 07:38 PM
Every team has people that they regret signing. I will defend our FO and say that they are one of the better crew of people when it comes to signings. The team will take a shot and spend money at time. I don't recall this large outcry when Cortez Allen signed his extension. We all thought it was a good signing at the time. It just didn't work out. I don't fault the FO for

Very true....Just look at the Redskins. What a train wreck, starting with ownership. I unfortunately live in Redskin country and that's all I hear abou.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 07:53 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Should Tyler Murphy throw a pass tomorrow, he'd be Steelers first UDFA rookie to do so since Mike Quinn in 1997. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

86WARD
10-24-2015, 08:17 PM
lol...Mike Quinn. Two pass attempts as a Steeler. 3 total in his career.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 09:09 PM
lol...Mike Quinn. Two pass attempts as a Steeler. 3 total in his career.

http://old.post-gazette.com/images/19980724jmpirates4M.jpg

86WARD
10-24-2015, 09:10 PM
Actually looking at the Steelers roster and the contract. I think Allen would be $4M dead money but almost $2M in cap savings...but he's one of the only CBs under contract for next season. Boykin, Gay, Blake and Cockring are all free agents. So that would leave Allen and Golson? If there is one spot on the team that could use a total makeover, that's the area...

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 09:16 PM
Actually looking at the Steelers roster and the contract. I think Allen would be $4M dead money but almost $2M in cap savings...but he's one of the only CBs under contract for next season. Boykin, Gay, Blake and Cockring are all free agents. So that would leave Allen and Golson? If there is one spot on the team that could use a total makeover, that's the area...

this is why I believe Cortez Allen may be given another year to stick around...

86WARD
10-24-2015, 09:37 PM
ugh..........

teegre
10-24-2015, 11:15 PM

R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC
R2: Jalen Mills, FS, LSU
R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
R4: Will Redmond, CB, Miss St.
R5: (Boykin)

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2015, 08:51 AM
this is why I believe Cortez Allen may be given another year to stick around...

I don't think that's going to happen with the way that they've handled him this year. His career as a Steeler is over.

86WARD
10-25-2015, 09:07 AM
I hope so...

ETL
10-25-2015, 10:23 AM
I think Gay will re-sign if given a fair contract and I think the Steelers will do that. I don't know about the others. I think we have Doran Grant on our practice squad still.

steelreserve
10-25-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't think anyone was complaining when he was signed, myself included. We knew the risks, and if he continued improving, it was a good deal for us. Unfortunately, it backfired. One of those times when paying on potential didn't work.

I think Gay will re-sign if given a fair contract and I think the Steelers will do that. I don't know about the others. I think we have Doran Grant on our practice squad still.

That's right on about Gay. We could probably get either Blake or Cockring back for a couple million to a few million, but the question is do we want to? Hopefully one of the rookies we took this year will be ready to fill at least one of the positions and the other can be depth.

R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC
R2: Jalen Mills, FS, LSU
R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
R4: Will Redmond, CB, Miss St.
R5: (Boykin)

Are you new? It is written in stone:

R1: Linebacker
R2: Lineman other than LT or NT
R3: WR
R4: CB who doesn't make the team
R5: wasted pick
R6: useless RB
R7: useless TE

Actually, now it makes sense to me what we're doing with Boykin. We always waste our fifth-round pick; this year we were just getting a jump-start on it.

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 02:19 PM
Are you new? It is written in stone:

R1: Linebacker
R2: Lineman other than LT or NT
R3: WR
R4: CB who doesn't make the team
R5: wasted pick on CB who is in doghouse
R6: wasted pick on K who sucked
R7: S who doesn't like to tackle
R7: useless TE

Actually, now it makes sense to me what we're doing with Boykin. We always waste our fifth-round pick; this year we were just getting a jump-start on it.

there, fixed it for you...