PDA

View Full Version : Best Steeler moments, especially the less famous ones

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Of course, the obvious best moments are Super Bowl wins, although I can't say I soaked in much from the 70's other than the 1979 season. I vaguely remember the 2nd Dallas SB.

That being said, these are my less famous games/moments.

- The SB run in 2005. The SB itself was a little anticlimactic. It was a sloppy game but none of us care since winning a ring is the only thing. My favorite part of the season was facing a must-win stretch of 4-5 games and pulling it off, then the play off ride vs. Cinci, Indy and Denver was just purely awesome. In the mix was also Bettis' last great game. Him going on a rampage vs. the Bears was legendary, flat running over Urlacher.

- The AFCC game win over Indy in 1995. I was at that game. And what made it all the sweeter was the horrid loss to SD the year before. It was magical. We thought the Colt caught they last pass and were ready to vomit. In about 15 seconds when we collectively knew he didn't catch it, we rejoiced like WWII had ended.

- The 1989-ish play off run with Bubby, Hoge, et all. We started off the season horridly but beat a very good Houston team in the "House of Pain" and had Denver on the run the next game. That wasn't a real talented team, but how they came together at the end was just thrilling, as we hadn't had much success in recent years so it was fun.

Yours?

polamalubeast
10-23-2015, 03:34 PM
The 2004 season.....15-1 is hard to do and it was with a rookie QB.

The best moment of this season was when they won two games in a row against the Patriots (6-0) and the Eagles (7-0).It was a very special season.

steelreserve
10-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Willie Parker signing with the Redskins.

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 03:55 PM
The 2004 season.....15-1 is hard to do and it was with a rookie QB.

The best moment of this season was when they won two games in a row against the Patriots (6-0) and the Eagles (7-0).It was a very special season.

But we peaked too early and it ended horribly. We never had a chance in the AFCC game vs. NE. Cowher sucked big juicy ass that game.

teegre
10-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Good thread.

Great list thus far.

1997 regular season game against the Taperiots.
The game was over. The Tapes needed one more first down to ice it. Then... Kevin Henry intercepted a 3rd down pass. Kordell hit Yancey for a first down on the sideline. Cutting to the chase: the Steelers won. (The most exciting regular season game I've experienced.)

Steelman
The monstrous performance by James Harrison against the Ratbirds on MNF in 2007 is a standout for me. James ate that offense for lunch and also blew up Ed Reed on a punt return.

slippy
that 7-6 playoff game against bill parcells' patriots in 1997. a very tense game where even every punt was a big play.

1994 crushing of belicheck's browns in div round in pittsburgh. effigy of lynched vinny testeverde hanging on the way from the airport.

2001 late season game vs baltimore. kordell stewarts best pass, 90 yards to bobby shaw to ice a back and forth game filled with bad special teams.

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 04:22 PM
I want to make some additions to one of my listed favs: Colts AFCC game. Before the game, we saw a continual movement of a mass snowball launch. We could see that the vast amount of snowballs was moving along the road that ran around the stadium (3 Rivers at the time). It was a curious event. We didn't know what would cause such a thing. Then we knew. Here came a white, 4-door Caddy with a Colts' plate on the front. As it went around the stadium, fans would notice it and launch snowballs as it passed by.

Another fun point was when NBC tried to interview Colts' fans who sat near us, at a time when it appeared Indy was going to win the game. Steeler fans weren't gonna allow it. As (I forget the female reporter at the time for NBC) she tried to interview this Colt couple, Steeler fan kept pulling their hats off and just generally not allow this interview to go on. The reporter was pissed and had to quit trying because it was not possible to pull off.

Rotorhead
10-23-2015, 05:29 PM
I think it was 93, when we played the Bills, Our Def knocked out Bebe, Thomas and Kelly. I remember Lloyd (I think, may have been Greene) hit Bebe at what seemed like the hash mark and Bebe landed out of bounds. That is the day I became a Steeler's fan. That is how football should be played I thought. Before that, I wasn't really a football fan.

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 05:38 PM
Steelers beating the Niners, 20-17 in 1984 in Candlestick Park for their only loss that season. The Niners were the first team in NFL history to go 15-1 that year (and subsequently 18-1).

Craic
10-23-2015, 05:42 PM
The monstrous performance by James Harrison against the Ratbirds on MNF in 2007 is a standout for me. James ate that offense for lunch and also blew up Ed Reed on a punt return.

This.

I was at that game, the first ever NFL game I've attended.

j-d-s
10-23-2015, 06:26 PM
I remember that snow game where we lost to the Dolphins. With one second left, we played the lateral game and the ball ended up in AB's hands, who took it to the house for the game-winning score. At least until i realized after a couple of seconds that he stepped out of bounds at their 14-yard line...

Hawkman
10-23-2015, 06:28 PM
I think of moments as short periods of time......and I have two:
1. The Bus running over Urlacher in the snow, the game that kick started us into the playoffs.
2. The body slam that Harrison put on a Browns fan. Still love watching that

j-d-s
10-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah that was hilarious :chuckle:.

Edman
10-23-2015, 06:53 PM
Major Ones.

Troy's Pick 6 in the AFCC game in 2008. Not After years of seeing the Steelers stumble and fumble in championship games at home for 15 years under Cowher, the fact that the Steelers were about to go to the Super Bowl at home was something special. Tomlin was no Bill Cowher. The Steelers were going to win this game.

Minor Ones.

Beating the Ravens in Baltimore in 2012 with Charlie Batch. 2012 was overall a forgettable season, but this was a great moment. I was so happy for Charlie.

This past Sunday. The eternal whipping boy, Landry freaking Jones coming right off the bench to beat the Cardinals. I was absolutely blown away at how well he played. He showed no signs of struggle or that he didn't know what he was doing. He came in, and played like it was totally second nature to him. I'm looking forward to see what happens Sunday with him against a still pretty good Chiefs Defense in Arrowhead. Is he truly something to watch? Or is he just another Bobby Hoying?

While it didn't turn out the way it hoped, the final push to the playoffs in 2013 was great to watch. That Steelers team just wouldn't die until the very end.

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Beating the Ravens in Baltimore in 2012 with Charlie Batch. 2012 was overall a forgettable season, but this was a great moment. I was so happy for Charlie.

Great call mentioning that one...

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/ben-batch-hug.jpg

zulater
10-23-2015, 07:39 PM
The single greatest game by the single greatest team in Steeler( if not football history) is largely unheralded. It was the divisional playoff drubbing of a very good Colt team in 76. Of course it was a costly win as the 76 Steelers a team that was built on a run first philosophy lost both their 1,000 yard backs that game for the AFC title game.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Blowout-win-comes-at-a-cost/097a26c1-81b5-4547-9166-ae3ee97f9dd5

When their nemesis, the Raiders, defeated the Bengals in the penultimate game of the season, the Steelers got into the playoffs where they would face the skeptical Baltimore Colts in the AFC Divisional Playoffs. “Look who they’ve played. Except for Cincinnati, they haven’t played any winners,” said Colts offensive tackle David Taylor. “They haven’t played anybody like the Colts. They haven’t played the No. 1 offensive team. Now they have to deal with us.”

The Colts would be at home for this AFC Divisional Playoff, and they came into it with the league’s No. 1 offense, and with a defense that had posted 56 sacks and 36 takeaways in 14 games. Still, it was no contest.

On the third play of the game, a third-and-8 from their own 24-yard line, the Steelers replaced tight end Larry Brown with John Stallworth to create a three-receiver, two-back set that forced the Colts to use safety Jackie Wallace in single coverage on Frank Lewis. Bradshaw threw a perfect pass, and it was 6-0 after Roy Gerela missed the extra point. “We may have lulled them a bit,” said Noll. “They’ve seen us do nothing but run the ball. This was a new experience for them.”

And it got worse for the Colts. On the next series, Mike Wagner intercepted Bert Jones, and Gerela kicked a 45-yard field goal for a 9-0 lead. The Colts came back to score a touchdown to close to 9-7, but then Theo Bell returned the ensuing kickoff 60 yards, Reggie Harrison scored from the 1-yard line six plays later, and it was 16-7.

After a three-and-out by the Colts, the Steelers drove to the 2-yard line, when Harrison lost a fumble. No problem. After another three-and-out by the Colts’ No. 1-ranked offense, Bradshaw hit Lynn Swann for a 29-yard touchdown, and it was 23-7. It was 26-7 at halftime, and Franco Harris already had over 100 yards rushing.

The final was 40-14, and the Steelers offense converted 90 percent on third down and rolled up 526 net yards, while their defense slapped around that No. 1-ranked offense by sacking Jones five times and intercepting him twice. Franco Harris had 132 yards on 18 carries in less than three quarters, and Lynn Swann, Frank Lewis and John Stallworth combined to average 23.5 yards a catch.

“It was one of those games where I knew I really needed a good one,” said Bradshaw, who finished 14-of-18 for 264 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 158.3. “I told myself to forget about everything that has happened this year. I had to convince myself that I’m gonna get hurt once in a while and not worry about it. I had to go out there and just let my physical ability go to work. Right off the bat I felt real good.”

Yessir, the Steelers had to be feeling real good … until they peeked into their training room and saw the medical staff working on Franco Harris’ ribs, Rocky Bleier’s toe and Frenchy Fuqua’s calf. Would the team have any healthy running backs for the AFC Championship Game?

tube517
10-23-2015, 07:44 PM
They haven’t played anybody like the Colts. They haven’t played the No. 1 offensive team. Now they have to deal with us.”

The Colts would be at h

That was the game where the plane crashed at Baltimore's old Memorial Stadium after the game.

ETL
10-23-2015, 08:19 PM
I think it was 93, when we played the Bills, Our Def knocked out Bebe, Thomas and Kelly. I remember Lloyd (I think, may have been Greene) hit Bebe at what seemed like the hash mark and Bebe landed out of bounds. That is the day I became a Steeler's fan. That is how football should be played I thought. Before that, I wasn't really a football fan.

it was Gary Jones - safety that hit Beebe

ETL
10-23-2015, 08:33 PM
- Tommy Maddox leading playoff comeback win vs Kelly Holcomb's Browns in 2001 or 2002. I think it was one of the biggest playoff comebacks ever.

- Beating the Colts in 2005 in the playoffs - it was the Bettis fumble / Ben tackle saves the day game. We were heavy underdogs and already lost to the Colts in the regular season. Before anyone could blink - we were up big. We got screwed when a Polamalu INT was overturned and I also remember Vanderjagbag being a cocky jag bag signaling to our bench before he missed the kick.

- Hines Ward laying punishing blind side hits (now illegal)

- Mark Malone leading Steelers in upset win over Broncos in playoffs before losing to the Dolphins in the AFC championship game

- beating Tampa Bay in Tampa and Flowers calling the Bucs "Paper Champs"

tube517
10-23-2015, 08:37 PM
The 1984 mega upset of the 49ers by the Mark Malone-led Steelers, 20-17. A huge upset that many fans did not see. I wish I could get a copy of this game.

86WARD
10-23-2015, 08:51 PM
- The 1989-ish play off run with Bubby, Hoge, et all. We started off the season horridly but beat a very good Houston team in the "House of Pain" and had Denver on the run the next game. That wasn't a real talented team, but how they came together at the end was just thrilling, as we hadn't had much success in recent years so it was fun.

Yours?

Other than Super Boel wins, that 1989 Houston game is the first that comes to mind. That was one of my favorite Steelers games of all time.

I love watching Kordell Stewart highlights when he was 'Slash'. The guy was a stud until he and Cowher put him at full time QB.

The Tackle Play.

Bettie destroying the Bears in the snow...that was a favorite game.

I gotta think harder...there's probably a lot more.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2015, 09:35 PM
This.

I was at that game, the first ever NFL game I've attended.

dont forget hines ward slaughtering ed reed and bart scott on blocks all night long

Hawkman
10-23-2015, 09:38 PM
dont forget hines ward slaughtering ed reed and bart scott on blocks all night long

Yeah, I could never tell which Hines liked more, catching passes or hitting defenders.

lipps83
10-23-2015, 09:56 PM

Yep, this game cemented me for life. This was the turning point from 'casual' fan to 'fanatic' fan.

lipps83
10-23-2015, 10:04 PM
it was Gary Jones - safety that hit Beebe

Here it is for everyone's viewing pleasure. When football was played the way it was meant to be played (but also lead to more debilitating injuries).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OFFgS5BAQ

ETL
10-23-2015, 10:18 PM
The 1984 mega upset of the 49ers by the Mark Malone-led Steelers, 20-17. A huge upset that many fans did not see. I wish I could get a copy of this game.

I think it was SF only loss that year. I can still see Brian Hinkle make the interception to seal the game

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is for everyone's viewing pleasure. When football was played the way it was meant to be played (but also lead to more debilitating injuries).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4OFFgS5BAQ

gotta give Beebe credit for holding onto the ball

ALLD
10-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Ryan Clark to Wes Welker and I cannot find the video where Cowher stuffed a picture in the ref's pocket because the Steelers were mistakenly called for too many men on the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf4yrMNMxoc

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 10:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQZ1VQuBJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88NodubB5x0

steelreserve
10-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Wow, that 49ers game sure goes back ... the last hangers-on like Lambert and Stallworth mixed with the cast from the start of shit era. Boy, Frank Pollard, Weegie Thompson and Abercrombie were sure staples of that dreadful time.

I randomly clicked to about 55:00 of the second half just in time to see some rookie tight end of ours by the name of Chris Kolodziejski get drilled in the knee for what looked like a pretty brutal injury (I looked it up and turned out to be career-ending - shattered kneecap and torn ACL and MCL) and they just had two guys help him walk off the field, no cart or anything. Different game back then. Side note, it turns out he was supposed to recover, except a few months later he tore it up again slipping on ice in a parking lot, and that was it for him; then he went on to become a successful real estate developer and founder of a skin care products company.

Hard to imagine .. both head coaches from that game dead, and the stadium doesn't even exist anymore. Crazy.

Rotorhead
10-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Beebe did hang on to the ball, props for that.

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Hines Wards blocks are always entertaining...I could watch those ver and over and over.

That Monday Night game in 1992 against the Chiefs was a pretty good game too. The Chiefs were in a run of being 10-6, 11-5 team every year and I think we're favored heavily in this game. Cowher's first season and the Steelers came out and just romped them on the legs of Barry Foster and a punt return for a TD by Woodson. Steelers made the playoffs that year and lost to Buffalo.

tube517
10-24-2015, 07:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQZ1VQuBJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88NodubB5x0

Great find. I watched the 2nd half and that drive was vintage Chuck Noll. All those nobodies like:

Rich Erenberg
Wayne Capers
Chris K. (Mentioned above)
Blake Wingle !!!
Weegie!! lol

Vets:
Stallworth keeping any hope this team had alive
Louis Lipps didn't even play
Tunch and Wolf; Webster
Bryan Hinkle
Donnie Shell
Jack Lambert w/the injured toe still out there
Abercrombie sat on the last drive and Pollard was the go to back w/Erenberg helping
No Bennie C at TE.

They got help with that PI call late. Very lucky.
Also Wersching was like 89 years old and sucked lol