PDA

View Full Version : Most miserable Steelers season in recent memory?

Edman
10-22-2015, 06:00 PM
To me, it wasn't any of the 8-8 seasons or even 2003, the last time the Steelers had a losing season.

It was 2009. The big hangover.

But Edman, you wonder, why did you put down a winning season coming off a Super Bowl year as the most miserable? Aren't you being a little spoiled and unreasonable?

Yes, I am spoiled. I admit that.

But even though the Steelers went 9-7, I HATED 2009. Looking back, that team was pretty...bad and very disappointing, I can't really remember much good about it besides Ben's 500-yard classic vs Green Bay.

-A lackluster ho-hum win over the Titans in week One.
-The year of the Fourth Quarter Collapse, where Dick Lebeau was exposed as not being all that he seemed.
-Getting Swept by the Bengals. Ben has one of the worst games of his career in the second game.
-"Unleash Hell", then lose Five Straight.
-Steelers special teams was terrible. Granted it was always bad, but here is where it went to the trash heap. Bob Ligashevsky was the ST coach, and he was horrid. I think there was some kind of streak where the Steelers gave up a return TD in each game.
-Terrible Losses to the Chiefs and Raiders. Andy Bleeping Studebaker becomes Ben's favorite target and our own Bruce Gradkowski tears the D a new one at Heinz.
-And the game that will forever be etched in lore: With the season on the line, the Steelers come out and lay in stinker in the Thursday Night Disaster in Cleveland where Bruce Arians cemented himself into the doghouse of many Steelers fans.

salamander
10-22-2015, 06:26 PM
I agree....2009 was definitely a season I prefer to forget.

teegre
10-22-2015, 06:30 PM
6-2 and vying for the #1 seed. Riding high. Heck, Favre even told BB: "Rematch in the SuperBowl."

Then... :doh:

polamalubeast
10-22-2015, 06:37 PM
2009 is a good choice but the 2012 season is the worst season since 2000 for me......Too many drama because of Mike Wallace,etc....

86WARD
10-22-2015, 07:17 PM
For me the most miserable season may have been last year. That offense they had was incredible on every level and they bowed out to Baltimore 30-17 (really 30-9)...that was fucking miserable...that superseded all the positives that season for me.

zulater
10-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Recent is a matter of perspective I suppose, because when I saw the title of ths thread the 2003 season immediately sprung to mind.:old: Our last losing season. The season we got shut out by the Jets 6-0 in a game that set back offensive football 40 years. :lol:

polamalubeast
10-22-2015, 07:31 PM
For me the most miserable season may have been last year. That offense they had was incredible on every level and they bowed out to Baltimore 30-17 (really 30-9)...that was fucking miserable...that superseded all the positives that season for me.

That's one game, not a season ....

86WARD
10-22-2015, 07:36 PM

Right and I said it superseded all the positives that SEASON. For me, that is more miserable than being terrible all year...you get used to that, shitting the bed in the first round of the playoffs against the Ravens...that is a miserable season. I mean I could add the first loss to the Ravens in there...the Spanking the took from Cleveland. Dropping that one to the Jets. Those were miserable as well...but like I said...the loss in the playoffs to the Ravens made the whole season miserable.

zulater
10-22-2015, 07:37 PM

And besides, if you're going to talk one loss nothing was worse than the Tebow game. I sat there stunned saying over and over to myself, what the hell just happened? How did that no throwing piece of **** beat us? :frusty:

BigBen2004
10-22-2015, 08:32 PM
2012 or 13 for me.

6-3 in 2012, Ben goes down, we proceed to shit the bed. We had a statue in at QB and lost to Baltimore. We turned the ball over SEVEN times and lost to Cleveland. Ben comes back, we lose to the Cowboys at the very end. Somehow, we have a shot at the playoffs if we beat Cincinnati Week 16. I made my first trip to Pittsburgh for that game. I thought I was going to witness the team get themselves in the playoffs. Instead, the Bungles beat us and I had the most depressing 5 hour drive home... To Cincinnati, where I live. That was brutal.

2013 was horrible as well. To start 2-6 and basically know the playoffs aren't happening, you have two months of meaningless football to watch. I know, I know, they ALMOST made it, but having to be in that position in the first place was gut wrenchingily painful.

TD's & Beer
10-22-2015, 08:38 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b3/24/28/b324281f7da7946d8920311444f50522.jpg

tube517
10-22-2015, 08:43 PM
I try to black out the 2009 season. It sucked. That Stains game on TNF was pitiful. Maybe Tomlin and Arians worst outing in a prime time setting.

2003 was pretty bad, too. Tommy Turnover at QB. LOL.

85,86, 98,99 have been psychologically tucked away never to be re-visited.

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 08:44 PM
And besides, if you're going to talk one loss nothing was worse than the Tebow game. I sat there stunned saying over and over to myself, what the hell just happened? How did that no throwing piece of **** beat us? :frusty:

the Tebow game was the single most painful loss ever for me, unless you also count Super Bowl XXX when we lost to the Cowgirls thanks to O'Donnell's two pick-sixes to Larry Brown...:frusty::frusty:

tube517
10-22-2015, 08:48 PM
the Tebow game was the single most painful loss ever for me, unless you also count Super Bowl XXX when we lost to the Cowgirls thanks to O'Donnell's two pick-sixes to Larry Brown...:frusty::frusty:

XXX and the 94 AFCC game were gut wrenching. Our defense got beat by Alfred Pupunu. Alfred Pupunu.

The Tebow game sucked and I had painful thoughts but that team was a weak 12-4 team. I had no confidence in them advancing too far anyways.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
What constitutes "recent"?

Steelman
10-22-2015, 09:06 PM
I agree with Edman, 2009 royally sucked.

However, the recent most painful loss for me was against Green Bay in the Super Bowl...there's like a blackout in my mind from that game, even more so than the Tebow game which I put into the "Slightly Dazed-Shaking Head in Disbelief" category. :chuckle:

BigBen2004
10-22-2015, 09:28 PM
The Tebow game sucked and I had painful thoughts but that team was a weak 12-4 team. I had no confidence in them advancing too far anyways.

Bingo. That entire season, the 12-4 record meant nothing to me. We were swept by our most hated rival, embarrassed by San Francisco, and lost to a Houston team that was stronger than us.
All of our losses came to playoff teams and I knew that we weren't going to do much in January, if anything at all. Hell, we barely eeked out a win against Cleveland. Even before Ben went down in that game, we were only leading 7-3 at the half. It was pitiful.
Having said all of that, I never thought an 8-8 team with no QB would oust us in one game. Especially the way that they did. That was a horribly coached game, and it stung for a long long time.
I remember my brother ripping off his shirt and yelling in my face "TEBOW TIME TEBOW TIME!"
...still haunts me lol. We need to win a damn playoff game again. It's been almost 5 years.

fansince'76
10-22-2015, 09:36 PM
XXX and the 94 AFCC game were gut wrenching. Our defense got beat by Alfred Pupunu. Alfred Pupunu.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/elizium/pupunu.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/elizium/media/pupunu.jpg.html)

:chuckle:

teegre
10-22-2015, 09:58 PM

XXX was the absolute worst. After the first quarter, the mighty Cowboys offense didn't get squat... except for the few yards they got after those two INTs.

Living in San Diego, the 1994 AFCCG haunted me for 14 years. I heard about it, and heard about it, and heard about it.

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 10:02 PM
What constitutes "recent"?

if you can still actually remember the game without having to google it...:wink02:

Steeldude
10-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Any with Kordell as the QB.

For an old game I would say the 6-0 loss to the Oilers on Thursday night back in 1980. Talk about boring. I kept sitting there hoping the Steelers would at least score a FG.

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 02:21 AM
For an old game I would say the 6-0 loss to the Oilers on Thursday night back in 1980. Talk about boring. I kept sitting there hoping the Steelers would at least score a FG.

I remember that one as well. Kinda set the tone for the '80s as a whole, in hindsight.

tube517
10-23-2015, 07:08 AM
Any with Kordell as the QB.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198012040oti.htm

I can't remember much except this was their last hurrah to try and make the playoffs. I think Cosell tried to hype this one up a lot because of the previous year's games and AFCC game. No Stallworth, looking at the boxscore. Bradshaw had a Vick statline. Horrible. I cannot remember if he was playing hurt. Ugly game.

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 12:58 PM
2009 is a good choice but the 2012 season is the worst season since 2000 for me......Too many drama because of Mike Wallace,etc....

2009 sucked for the reasons mentioned, but 2006 was no bowl of cherries, either.

Cowher knew he was leaving and coached like it, all the players lost focus and team chemistry was non-existent. I ranks 2006 and 2009 as equally depressing.

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2015, 01:22 PM
wow no one picked 2013 yet? im guessing because we finished strong but what a wasted season

slippy
10-23-2015, 01:24 PM
99 might be the worst for me. kordell on the sidelines crying in tampa bay because he got benched. ugh.

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 01:35 PM
Worst recent season? 2009.

Worst season since I became a fan? 1988. 5-11 and not much hope of improving greatly any time too soon. I mean, just look at the team roster (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1988) for that season. :yuck:

tube517
10-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Worst recent season? 2009.

Worst season since I became a fan? 1988. 5-11 and not much hope of improving greatly any time too soon. I mean, just look at the team roster (http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1988) for that season. :yuck:

Weegie should be in the Steeler Kuhn HOF... :coffee: :heh:

Steeldude
10-23-2015, 03:38 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198012040oti.htm

I can't remember much except this was their last hurrah to try and make the playoffs. I think Cosell tried to hype this one up a lot because of the previous year's games and AFCC game. No Stallworth, looking at the boxscore. Bradshaw had a Vick statline. Horrible. I cannot remember if he was playing hurt. Ugly game.

Bradshaw's elbow was about done.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember that one as well. Kinda set the tone for the '80s as a whole, in hindsight.

Yep, but despite the bad decade the NFL was much more enjoyable to watch back then.

polamalubeast
10-23-2015, 03:46 PM
2009 sucked for the reasons mentioned, but 2006 was no bowl of cherries, either.

Cowher knew he was leaving and coached like it, all the players lost focus and team chemistry was non-existent. I ranks 2006 and 2009 as equally depressing.

It is true that the 2006 season was painful.

Everyone was saying that Roethlisberger was overrated because of his bad season and that Ben was horrible when he attempted at least 30 pass in a game.

Also, the other reason was of course all the distraction on the future of Bill Cowher.And that's not to mention the 2 embarrassing lost against the Ravens(27-0 and 31-7).

steelreserve
10-23-2015, 03:47 PM
2006 was it for me. We had literally the same exact team as the one that won the Super Bowl, except swap Clark for Hope and Kiesel for von Oelhoffen, so no dropoff there. We even won the first game with Batch after Ben almost Leader-of-the-Packed himself. Then 1-6 and realistically no shot at the playoffs. The most frustrating thing about it was that there was no reason - we just doofed it and mailed it in.

That season also had two of the most frustrating losses back-to-back ... first the Falcons, where we got burned for 3 TDs from Vick to Alge Crumpler, fatass tight end extroardinare ... then the Raiders game where Oakland had 98 yards of total offense, yet somehow we lost on two pick-sixes and a long kick return, and actually completed a Hail Mary at the end of the game but only to the 3-yard line. Even thinking about that game now pisses me off.

2009 was less surprising because the team obviously had problems, like no offensive line, and Polamalu and A. Smith getting hurt early on, and only having one CB because Townsend was too old and Gay was terrible.Disappointing, but at least there were reasons. The 1994 AFCCG is less upsetting to me now than it was at the time, because in hindsight, I think if we made the Super Bowl we would've gotten obliterated.

However, the recent most painful loss for me was against Green Bay in the Super Bowl...there's like a blackout in my mind from that game

There's a blackout in my mind from that game too, but it's mostly from being drunk. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take off that Monday from work well in advance.

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 04:28 PM

By Wallace last season, I hated him. And he has been nothing but a turd since. Remember when he dropped an easy TD and all he did was form a giant smile right after, like dropping the TD was funny.

Imagine how different things would be if we signed him but not AB?

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Yep, but despite the bad decade the NFL was much more enjoyable to watch back then.

No argument here.

st33lersguy
12-27-2015, 04:35 PM
A new most frustrating season, 2015