PDA

View Full Version : For those wanting Dri Archer to be cut...

Pages : [1] 2

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Dri Archer is 8th in the NFL in KR average. Danny Smith says he's much improved. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

teegre
10-22-2015, 03:41 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Dri Archer is 8th in the NFL in KR average. Danny Smith says he's much improved. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

That's like being one of the prettiest contestants in the Jenny Craig vs. Weight Watchers annual sumo wrestling championships.

(This is the worst year for kickoffs that I can remember.)

Steelman
10-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Well if Danny Smith says so....

zulater
10-22-2015, 04:19 PM
That's like being one of the prettiest contestants in the Jenny Craig vs. Weight Watchers annual sumo wrestling championships.

(This is the worst year for kickoffs that I can remember.)

Exactly. As I pointed out on a previous post in a different thread..... several seasons ago, at a time when kickoff returns still held relevancy, before rule changes made touchbacks the normal result of an NFL kickoff, we had a kickoff returner (Stephen Logan) who was 3rd in the NFL in kickoff return yardage, 6th in avg per return He was also our punt returner and up among the league leaders in all relevant categories for that venue as well. .The Steelers deemed him unworthy of a roster spot the following season because he had no real position on offense or defense.

So how exactly do we justify a roster spot for a guy who doesn't even return punts with the rules such as they are? And let's not get carried away. He has still as of yet advanced a kickoff to even as far as midfield. Has he even got one to the 40 yet? Heh I would love to see the kid take one to the house. But as of now using numbers to support his roster spot just doesn't wash.

steelreserve
10-22-2015, 04:20 PM
What's he gained us versus touchbacks on the season - 20 yards?

SteelerFanInStl
10-22-2015, 04:30 PM
8th according to what criteria? He's 23rd according nfl.com, which includes all returns. If you weed out those with less than 5 returns, he's still only 14th.

He's got a 25.5 avg with a long of 35, which is nothing spectacular.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 07:28 PM
lol...he's 8th if you say "minimum of 8 returns." Nice "spin"...

ALLD
10-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Stick somebody else back there and bring in more defense.

tube517
10-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Oooooh a 30 yd return but you only get to the 22. How the hell is the 8 yards in the end zone counted now? That's chickenshit stats if you ask me.

zulater
11-01-2015, 12:54 PM
You were saying....? :coffee:

ALLD
11-01-2015, 01:28 PM
No excuse by coaching for this guy to ever touch the ball again.

- - - Updated - - -

Arizona is losing to the Browns big time.

Steeldude
11-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Tomlin will keep him as the KR for at least two more years.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Seriously, Super Runt has got to GO.

TeeTee
11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
He is 100% worthless.

hawaiiansteeler
11-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Seriously, Super Runt has got to GO.

does Super Runt ever make anyone miss?

the first guy down the field always seems to tackle him...

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 02:13 PM

No, he has no ability to juke anybody whatsoever.

Edman
11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
That's three useless Steelers eating up cap space.

Super Runt, Cam Thomas, and Jarvis Jones.

zoneblitzerII
11-01-2015, 03:38 PM
...you were right. He should be cut.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 03:40 PM
I swear, if I see that little shit run out one more should-be touchback from 8-10 yards deep in the end zone only to get smacked at the 10-yard line... :mad2:

86WARD
11-01-2015, 03:42 PM
His returns aren't smart and the stats are bloated...it's ridiculous to say that he's 8th or 5th in the league. He's not really...if you spin it a certain way...sure...but let's be honest, the guy has no value, no game. I saw someone reporting that he should be traded to the Jets for D-Line depth. That would be great if they could do that, but he's useless...lol. Any GM/Coach would see that in the film reviews.

Count Steeler
11-01-2015, 04:07 PM

I think a strong wind would knock him over.

The Bark
11-01-2015, 04:09 PM
How many times has he decided to run it out from the end zone and not gotten to the 20 yard line? That stat doesn't exist as far as I know, but it sure as hell should.

fansince'76
11-01-2015, 04:10 PM
How many times has he decided to run it out from the end zone and not gotten to the 20 yard line? That stat doesn't exist as far as I know, but it sure as hell should.

More times than I'd care to count. And yes, it should be counted as negative yardage.

Shoes
11-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Boot him and Danny Bubblegum Smith. Yes Danny he's much improved, by making it to the 15 twice today.

Steeldude
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
No, he has no ability to juke anybody whatsoever.

Sucks to be a long-strider at his height.

tube517
11-01-2015, 06:43 PM
Heath has more ability to "juke" than super runt.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

steelerdude15
11-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Dri is bad. He relies on speed and that's about it. He's not patient and doesn't wait for lanes to open up (it doesn't help that the blocking is pretty bad too). He doesn't try to juke, stiff arm, etc anyone. He just runs.

Then, the coaching staff fails because they don't bench Dri. When Marcus Wheaton replaced Dri last season, Marcus was always getting the Steelers better field position. If I'm the coaching staff, I'm making that change.

86WARD
11-01-2015, 07:53 PM
More times than I'd care to count. And yes, it should be counted as negative yardage.

I said the same thing. If he returns it 9 yards deep and gets to the 16, he gets credited for a 25-yard return. If he downs it, the Steelers get the ball at the 20. Because he was stupid and decided to return it, didn't make the 20, he should be credited for -4 yards.

zulater
11-02-2015, 05:52 AM
Dri is bad. He relies on speed and that's about it. He's not patient and doesn't wait for lanes to open up (it doesn't help that the blocking is pretty bad too). He doesn't try to juke, stiff arm, etc anyone. He just runs.

Then, the coaching staff fails because they don't bench Dri. When Marcus Wheaton replaced Dri last season, Marcus was always getting the Steelers better field position. If I'm the coaching staff, I'm making that change.

No question Wheaton is a better kick returner. But since Dri is no longer a rookie if they sack him from his one and only duty then they have to admit they blew that pick badly. Which at this point they seem unwilling to do.

This thread is titled "For those wanting Dri Archer to be cut", the real question is outside of Tomlin and maybe Colbert who doesn't want him to be cut? Seeing as how Haley doesn't even make any pretense about getting him involved in the offense anymore I doubt he would have any objection. And seeing as how Dri twice put the offense in a terrible hole to start a possession yesterday, this with your qb coming off a devastating injury I really wouldn't think Todd is in Archer's camp.

I guess the fear always is that if you let someone go they'll find a team with a scheme they're better suited for and they'll come back and haunt you. But I really don't see it. His skills such as they are just don't seem to translate to the NFL game. And regardless the fact of the matter is he's occupying a roster spot without giving any return ( pardon the play on words :heh: ) so to hell with what he does elsewhere. Get him gone now!

- - - Updated - - -

No question Wheaton is a better kick returner. But since Dri is no longer a rookie if they sack him from his one and only duty then they have to admit they blew that pick badly. Which at this point they seem unwilling to do.

This thread is titled "For those wanting Dri Archer to be cut", the real question is outside of Tomlin and maybe Colbert who doesn't want him to be cut? Seeing as how Haley doesn't even make any pretense about getting him involved in the offense anymore I doubt he would have any objection. And seeing as how Dri twice put the offense in a terrible hole to start a possession yesterday, this with your qb coming off a devastating injury I really wouldn't think Todd is in Archer's camp.

I guess the fear always is that if you let someone go they'll find a team with a scheme they're better suited for and they'll come back and haunt you. But I really don't see it. His skills such as they are just don't seem to translate to the NFL game. And regardless the fact of the matter is he's occupying a roster spot without giving any return ( pardon the play on words :heh: ) so to hell with what he does elsewhere. Get him gone now!

tube517
11-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Dri won't be cut now that Bell is out.

1. DeAngelo
2. Todman
3. W.Johnson
4. Super Runt

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 11:39 AM

1. DeAngelo
2. Todman
3. W.Johnson
4. Super Runt

very true, Super Runt may be the biggest beneficiary of this unfortunate injury...

Texasteel
11-02-2015, 11:58 AM

1. DeAngelo
2. Todman
3. W.Johnson
4. Super Runt

If we get to option 4 we might as well start dumping games for a higher draft pick. Sort of like the Texans.

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Dri’d up

by Ray Fittipaldo

There is a conversation I have with myself every week. It goes something like this:

Me: “Why is Dri Archer still on the team?”

Me: “I don’t know.”

If ever there was a time for Dri Archer to throw caution to the wind and bring a kick out of the end zone it was with 1:51 remaining after the Steelers fell behind by six points.

Instead, Archer fielded the kick a yard deep in the end zone and knelt on it. With the offense struggling and Ben Roethlisberger reeling after two fourth-quarter interceptions the Steelers needed a boost from the special teams, not a conservative kneel.

I flashed back to the decision Tomlin made two years ago in a game against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field. The Ravens tied the score with 1:58 remaining. On the ensuing kickoff, Emmanuel Sanders was given the green light to bring the ball out of the end zone under any circumstance.

Sanders fielded the kickoff seven yards and deep and returned it to the Steelers’ 37-yard line to help set up the winning Shaun Suisham field goal as time expired.

“Nothing was going to stop me from bringing that ball out unless he kicked it out,” Sanders told me after the game. “I had it in my mind that I was going to return it. I had a good feeling about it.”

Never mind that it was Sanders’ first kickoff return attempt that season. Tomlin inserted Sanders for Felix Jones with the express thought of him providing a big play that could turn the tide of the game.

“He's got a skill set,” Tomlin said after that game. “When called upon, he's capable of delivering. Obviously, he's a starting receiver for us and it's not something we want to do all the time. But at the appropriate time we'll dial his number, and I thought he delivered.”

I’m guessing Tomlin has little or no confidence in Archer’s skill set. The Steelers invested a third-round draft choice in Archer for this very situation. Archer, however, has been disappointing in his role.

Archer’s 17-yard average on returns against the Bengals, including a 15-yard return to the 10 early in the game might have been flashing in Tomlin’s head.

I just keep coming back to the obvious: if Archer is on the team for his supposed ability to return kickoffs, isn’t that the scenario you want as a coach?

If not, maybe it’s time to get a new kick returner.

Markus Wheaton, anyone?

to read rest of article:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/11/01/On-clock-management-and-player-management.html

86WARD
11-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Dri’d up

I just keep coming back to the obvious: if Archer is on the team for his supposed ability to return kickoffs, isn’t that the scenario you want as a coach?

If not, maybe it’s time to get a new kick returner.

Markus Wheaton, anyone?
]

Another question that will never be asked to Tomlin.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Another question that will never be asked to Tomlin.

Media is not allowed to ask Tomlin legit, real questions - or they will get blackballed from the presser and lose all perks. It's the Rooney way. It's like when Helen Thomas asked real questions about Israel at the White House. That was a no no, she never saw the inside of the White House again.

86WARD
11-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Media is not allowed to ask Tomlin legit, real questions - or they will get blackballed from the presser and lose all perks. It's the Rooney way. It's like when Helen Thomas asked real questions about Israel at the White House. That was a no no, she never saw the inside of the White House again.

I don't really believe that. There is always one guy, one reporter who would welcome the attention they would receive for asking the question to Tomlin and welcome the attention they would get for being blackballed by the Rooneys.

hawaiiansteeler
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't think we should place all of the blame on Super Runt, the lack of blocking he receives on kickoff returns is absolutely atrocious.

you can cut Archer, but Danny Smith needs to be fired also...

Shoes
11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Why not put Todman in Archers place. He's has good hands and has made quite a few long runs.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Highlight-Jaguars-RB-Jordan-Todman-63-yard-TD/2334561e-1f11-482b-ad65-d0913f1eb9d0

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 07:35 PM
I don't really believe that. There is always one guy, one reporter who would welcome the attention they would receive for asking the question to Tomlin and welcome the attention they would get for being blackballed by the Rooneys.

Well, if that guy ever exists his question never sees the light of day, because I never hear/read of any tough questions being asked. I did hear one radio commentator reveal a phone call he had with then-Steeler PR guy. But little did the PR guy know he was dealing with a Browns fan, so it didn't go as he wished. Radio guy revealed entire conversation on air, much to the chagrin of Rooneys. He called and told him to not allow a certain topic to be discussed on air. Mr. L told him, "I can't control what my listeners ask or want to talk about. PR guy says "If you don't hang up on them if they bring it up, we will revoke your perks." Mr. L says, "I don't need your free tickets, if I want to go to a game I will buy my own tickets." PR guy: "What's your boss' name? I want to talk to him." Mr. L: "His name is Joe Smith, his ext. is 111." And on it went. It was quite obvious that the Rooneys push the media around. Tomlin's pressers are sure an example that the media takes their marching orders.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not put Todman in Archers place. He's has good hands and has made quite a few long runs.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Highlight-Jaguars-RB-Jordan-Todman-63-yard-TD/2334561e-1f11-482b-ad65-d0913f1eb9d0

Do you want a good reason or the real reason?

fansince'76
11-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't think we should place all of the blame on Super Runt...

I think we can when he tries to run it out from 8-9 yards deep in the end zone...

86WARD
11-02-2015, 07:39 PM
I think we can when he tries to run it out from 8-9 yards deep in the end zone...

He's the 8th best return man in the game though...

fansince'76
11-02-2015, 07:42 PM
He's the 8th best return man in the game though...

In a league where 99.5% of kickoffs are touchbacks. And which is also certainly reflected in our typically shitty starting field position right around our own 10 more often than not... :chuckle:

Shoes
11-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Well, if that guy ever exists his question never sees the light of day, because I never hear/read of any tough questions being asked. I did hear one radio commentator reveal a phone call he had with then-Steeler PR guy. But little did the PR guy know he was dealing with a Browns fan, so it didn't go as he wished. Radio guy revealed entire conversation on air, much to the chagrin of Rooneys. He called and told him to not allow a certain topic to be discussed on air. Mr. L told him, "I can't control what my listeners ask or want to talk about. PR guy says "If you don't hang up on them if they bring it up, we will revoke your perks." Mr. L says, "I don't need your free tickets, if I want to go to a game I will buy my own tickets." PR guy: "What's your boss' name? I want to talk to him." Mr. L: "His name is Joe Smith, his ext. is 111." And on it went. It was quite obvious that the Rooneys push the media around. Tomlin's pressers are sure an example that the media takes their marching orders.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you want a good reason or the real reason?

I don't need a reason to know anyone would be better than Archer.

TeeTee
11-02-2015, 08:52 PM

Even the announcers - who typically know less than the average fan - commented that Dri looked tentative and unsure when he did take the ball out of the EZ. They said it, seemingly almost laughing about it. He is no longer a rookie, so we can't use that as an excuse.

Steeldude
11-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Todman or Wheaton should take over.

It would be nice to trade Archer, but why would anyone want to lose a 7th rounder over it.

NCSteeler
11-03-2015, 01:46 AM
I think it's totally hilarious to see articles on a regular basis telling us how great certain players are before games and then they flop. PR at it's best

86WARD
11-03-2015, 07:53 AM
In a league where 99.5% of kickoffs are touchbacks. And which is also certainly reflected in our typically shitty starting field position right around our own 10 more often than not... :chuckle:

That doesn't matter amongst players with one return per game, he's a "stud!!" :heh:

86WARD
11-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Todman or Wheaton should take over.

It would be nice to trade Archer, but why would anyone want to lose a 7th rounder over it.

Somewhere I read a scenario sending him to the Jets for DLine depth...lol. That was the funniest story I read...it made no sense. No team will give up anything for Archer. He brings less than zero to the table.

salamander
11-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Watch us cut him in the off-season to which he then signs with the Cheats and becomes an all-pro returner. That would be our luck.

hawaiiansteeler
11-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette

Archer still KO returner, Tomlin says.

Tomlin: Did not want Dri Archer to return last kickoff. Wanted the ball on the 20. "Dri did what we told him to do" not run the ball out

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette

86WARD
11-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Tomlin: Did not want Dri Archer to return last kickoff. Wanted the ball on the 20. "Dri did what we told him to do" not run the ball out

Yet you have a guy on the team because of his speed and his potential to make a "splash play" and this is a spot where you would want him to return the ball and try to make a play, yet Tomlin keeps him in the end zone. It makes zero sense to have Archer on the roster if you aren't going to use him in a spot where you think he should be used...

zulater
11-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Tomlin just doesn't get it with this guy! :frusty: I mean he has to know he can't play at this point? Right!? Does he think the rest of us are too stupid to see this was a failed draft choice? Is that it? Can't let go of the myth that the choice was actually not wasted? :doh: The only thing worse than being stupid, is to think everyone else will be because you command it!.

You know I'm getting ready to jump off Tomlin's bandwagon. I've tried. Really tried to be objective. Gone against my better judgement and tried to apply an outsiders perspective on him. And outside of Pittsburgh the guy is worshiped by press and opposing players alike. (James Harrison, not so much)

But you know what. They don't see what we see. He's arrogant. He can't manage the clock worth a damn. ( don't call a time out with 2.38 left on defense. Moron move! ) And he hold's ridiculous grudges. Leaves better players on the bench at the expense of his pets and projects.

Where would this guy be without Ben? He wouldn't be a .500 coach with an average qb.

"Dri did what we told him to do."

Sorry but this one sentence from Tomlin says so effing much. I can't pretend anymore. This guy should be in the dictionary next to the text book definition of overrated! :mad:

That felt good. :lol:

86WARD
11-03-2015, 06:45 PM
If you stuck Tomlin on Cleveland, would he make a difference?

hawaiiansteeler
11-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Why Pittsburgh Steelers' Dri Archer is decent at kick returns now

By Jacob Klinger
Nov 1, 2015

http://image.pennlive.com/home/penn-media/width620/img/steelers/photo/19051198-mmmain.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Dri Archer averages 26.7 yards per kick return this season.

PITTSBURGH -- There's an instant in the development of Dri Archer's kick returns where he has to know.

It's after the catch, his decision to try running the ball back or not and right after he's set up his blocks.

"It just comes to a certain point where you got to react," Archer said.

Until recently, he was hardly ever even making it to that moment. Archer was slowed by his own impatience. He's found his 4.2-second 40-yard dash speed to be a double-edged sword and simply not enough on its own. He's had to wait — for his blockers to get set and to not give himself away to opposing kickoff teams.

Archer's 26.7 yards per kick return this season are good for fifth-best in the league. But a month ago, before the Steelers hosted the Baltimore Ravens on Monday Night Football, he was averaging 18.4 yards per return for his two-year career.

Two months ago, he feared for his place on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster.

"It's always something to worry about, especially when you're not making any plays," Archer said the day before the Steelers' final cuts. "It's always something you worry about. It's a business. You never know."

Markus Wheaton is slower than Archer. Most of the NFL is. Archer owns the second-fastest NFL Combine 40 time recorded since 2006.

But the Steelers preferred him over Archer at kick returns in the second half of last season. Wheaton being slower forced him to learn to set up blocks and time his returns, Wheaton said, whereas Archer and his raw speed didn't have as much to consider earlier in his career.

"I was just trying to run and thinking I'm faster than everybody and just running," Archer said.

Special teams coordinator Danny Smith had to talk Archer out of playing that way. Extra film study included considering elements beyond the depth of the kick like hangtime, direction and how they relate to the Steelers' play call, which can includes traps and counters in addition to which way Pittsburgh wants to return the ball.

Teaching that level of patience to a player whose job is in jeopardy is as counterintuitive as it was necessary for Archer.

"You got a guy that can run and he just wants to run and he finds out that that's just not good enough in this league," Smith said. "There's a lot of fast guys working around this country that aren't in football and there's a reason for that."

to read rest of article:

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/index.ssf/2015/11/steelers_archer_kick_returns.html

steelreserve
11-03-2015, 11:45 PM
lol @ Wheaton being "slower" than Archer. As I recall, Wheaton was a track star at Oregon State and made the Pac-12 finals. The major reason we drafted him was to replace Wallace as a big-play threat over the top. It hasn't worked out that way, but if anyone thinks Archer's significantly faster to the point where he outruns his blocking, they're delusional.

Wheaton does better because he has at least some semblance of vision, patience and general ballcarrier instincts. Archer fails at returns because he has none of these things and he sucks.

The reason Archer had success as a return man at Kent State was probably because in Tier 2B college ball, special-teams level players fuck up pretty regularly and his speed magnified that. The reason he succeeded as a running back was probably because he could outrun a lot of slow white middle linebackers who didn't know how to get the angle on a guy faster than them. The reason he had any success as a receiver was probably because he played against some DBs who didn't know to jam him, or because the defensive package had him matched up against the same slow white linebacker who couldn't get the angle.

Basically, he had success against C+ college players, and there aren't any of those in the NFL. All the defenders are used to dealing with guys as fast as him; all the DBs are just as fast as him, and all the linebackers who aren't 270-pound pass rush specialists are fast enough to close the door on him. Nobody's scared of his speed. It's all about the ability to find holes or get open, and to make people miss. He can't do any of those. Not going to make it at this level. Over and out.

Count Steeler
11-04-2015, 05:10 AM
If you stuck Tomlin on Cleveland, would he make a difference?

Come on now. Even Noll and Lombardi would struggle in Cleveland. A shit hole is a shit hole.

ALLD
11-04-2015, 05:50 AM
The article is propaganda. The democratic party should hire him.

86WARD
11-04-2015, 06:48 AM
The articles that are put out defending Archer saying he is 5th, 8th, Top-10 in return averages must not be watching the games. Minimally 6 yards of every return is a gimme coming from end zone yardage. Then there's the articles defending Archer because of the blocking failures. I would accept that if Archer showed something when there wasn't a blocking failure or if he made the first guy miss or if he decided not to follow a lead blocker and tried to make something happen. Any player, ANY PLAYER with straight line speed and no talent can do what Archer is doing. And by the way, if the blocking in front of Archer is so bad, then how is 5th, 8th, Top-10 in the league in returns? Because he's getting garbage yardage...yardage that doesn't really count when he's tackled at the 14, 15, 16 yard line.

86WARD
11-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Come on now. Even Noll and Lombardi would struggle in Cleveland. A shit hole is a shit hole.

Good point. How about Jacksonville? Tennessee? Miami? Indianapolis? Would he be a difference maker in those places?

ALLD
11-04-2015, 06:50 AM
No, but they would have more entertaining press conferences.

tube517
11-04-2015, 08:12 AM

Except Bellicheat**.....Oh, wait.......

zulater
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Lombardi wouldn't. When Lombardi went to Green Bay it might as well have been Cleveland. He took over a team that won 1 game the season before. A team that hadn't posted a winning season in a dozen years. A team that had averaged less than 4 wins per year over a 11 season stretch. His first year they went 7-5. the next year they played for the Championship. The year after that they won the Championship. From 61-68 they won 5 NFL titles, including the first two Super bowls in Lombardi's last two years as coach there. The following year the Packers had a losing season. They had losing seasons 14 out of the next 17 years. They wouldn't win another playoff game until 93.

Then Lombardi took over the Redskins in 69.They hadn't had a winning season since 55. Lombardi led them to a 7-5-2 record and their first winning season in over a decade in his one year there.

Lombardi lost his first playoff game. That was his last post season loss. He won his final 9 playoff games.

Overall his regular season won loss record was 96-34-6. His post season record was 9-1. He won over 75% of the meaningful games he coached. That's why I laugh when people try to claim Bellichick is the greatest coach ever.. It's not even close.

steelreserve
11-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Lombardi wouldn't. When Lombardi went to Green Bay it might as well have been Cleveland. He took over a team that won 1 game the season before. A team that hadn't posted a winning season in a dozen years. A team that had averaged less than 4 wins per year over a 11 season stretch. His first year they went 7-5. the next year they played for the Championship. The year after that they won the Championship. From 61-68 they won 5 NFL titles, including the first two Super bowls in Lombardi's last two years as coach there. The following year the Packers had a losing season. They had losing seasons 14 out of the next 17 years. They wouldn't win another playoff game until 93.

Then Lombardi took over the Redskins in 69.They hadn't had a winning season since 55. Lombardi led them to a 7-5-2 record and their first winning season in over a decade in his one year there.

Lombardi lost his first playoff game. That was his last post season loss. He won his final 9 playoff games.

Overall his regular season won loss record was 96-34-6. His post season record was 9-1. He won over 75% of the meaningful games he coached. That's why I laugh when people try to claim Bellichick is the greatest coach ever.. It's not even close.

I mean yeah, but that was a lot easier to do back when the game was still evolving from semi-pro rugby. Big fish in a small pond. Lombardi would probably still be a very good coach today, but given how dramatically things have changed both on and off the field, it's impossible to say how it would translate. Hell, pair him with a shitty GM and a shitty front office, and no quarterback, and salary cap problems, and he may well have struggled in today's game.

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Dri Archer doesn't look like he has 4.26 speed when he plays, but he did look like it in college...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ILPHki7-Ww

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:49 AM

Pittsburgh wasn't any walk in the park when Noll arrived...

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:54 AM
Archer broke two maybe three tackles that whole video. The rest I would say was excellent blocking...

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Archer broke two maybe three tackles that whole video. The rest I would say was excellent blocking...

which is something our kickoff returners receive none of.

I'm not defending Archer, but the even bigger problem to me is Danny Smith...

86WARD
11-05-2015, 11:49 AM
which is something our kickoff returners receive none of.

I'm not defending Archer, but the even bigger problem to me is Danny Smith...

I'm on record saying Smith should have been gone two years ago. Archer isn't a good return guy. Combine that with shit for blocking and you have what we have...

Bluecoat96
11-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Just saw that we picked up jacoby jones and released dri archer. Nice!!

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Just saw that we picked up jacoby jones and released dri archer. Nice!!

Steelers Claim KR Jacoby Jones Off Waivers From Chargers, Release Dri Archer

http://www.steelersdepot.com/

Count Steeler
11-05-2015, 03:46 PM
OK. It's not April 1st. Is this some other kind of joker's holiday?

Why on earth did the Chargers release Jacoby Jones?

Bluecoat96
11-05-2015, 03:47 PM
What's even better is that apparently, when the Ravens found out he was released, there was apparently some interest in bringing him back there, but we beat them to it.

hawaiiansteeler
11-05-2015, 04:15 PM
What's even better is that apparently, when the Ravens found out he was released, there was apparently some interest in bringing him back there, but we beat them to it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b7/fb/c5/b7fbc5db79055d7ea3fa6382acabe953.jpg

tube517
11-05-2015, 04:20 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b7/fb/c5/b7fbc5db79055d7ea3fa6382acabe953.jpg

:lol:

vader29
11-05-2015, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

salamander
11-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Is this real life?????

:lol:

tube517
11-05-2015, 04:40 PM
https://lordsofthedrinks.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/17.jpg

SteelerFanInStl
11-05-2015, 05:11 PM

I read that the Ravens weren't interested in Jones. We claimed him off waivers so if they had wanted him, they would've gotten him before we did.

Jones was having a very bad year. Let's hope that he can improve for us.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 05:39 PM

:heh:

http://youtu.be/gqsT4xnKZPg

hawaiiansteeler
11-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Will Dri Archer be claimed on waivers?

Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpt cwnmzizmfjmje3yzkzmjlmode5mda5m2vhzdi3yjvi-e1446817387257.jpeg?w=206

The decision of the Steelers to claim via waivers the target of Mike Tomlin’s Thanksgiving night trip attempt from two years ago was the headline. The corresponding decision to dump a 2014 third-round pick drew far less attention.

Receiver Jacoby Jones is in, which means running back Dri Archer is out, only 20 regular-season games into an effort to make him into a jack-of-all-trades weapon who could give the offense an extra spark through raw speed.

Archer was pick 97 last year, taken six spots before Falcons running back Devonta Freeman. Some thought Archer would go even higher after running the 40-yard dash at the Scouting Combine in 4.26 seconds.

But Archer simply couldn’t make an impact at the next level. And the Steelers finally decided to take an aging return specialist over a youngster who wasn’t fulfilling his potential.

to read rest of article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/06/will-dri-archer-be-claimed-on-waivers/

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 01:29 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/e624vo.gif

hawaiiansteeler
11-06-2015, 02:42 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/e624vo.gif

Super Runt was drafted in large part because of Haley's obsession with scatbacks.

but I knew the midget's days were numbered when Haley didn't even want to use him in the backfield any longer...

TeeTee
11-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Super Runt was drafted in large part because of Haley's obsession with scatbacks.

but I knew the midget's days were numbered when Haley didn't even want to use him in the backfield any longer...

Haley should have been more creative like this play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCeV-oOCB-w

hawaiiansteeler
11-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet

#Steelers RB Dri Archer was not claimed. He’s now a free agent.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/662742972513955841

ALLD
11-06-2015, 08:10 PM
I heard his agent has contacted the Keebler elves to work the chocolate chip line. He also put out a feeler to the North Pole.

Shoes
11-06-2015, 08:14 PM
He'll be back on the practice squad next week.

86WARD
11-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet

#Steelers RB Dri Archer was not claimed. He’s now a free agent.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/662742972513955841

Guess he wasn't as great as the Archer-Apologists said...

Steeldude
11-07-2015, 01:36 AM
Guess he wasn't as great as the Archer-Apologists said...

What's pathetic is Tomlin couldn't see this long ago. It seems Tomlin's obsession with the slight possibility of a splash play is more vital than consistent football.

86WARD
11-07-2015, 07:13 AM
What's pathetic is Tomlin couldn't see this long ago. It seems Tomlin's obsession with the slight possibility of a splash play is more vital than consistent football.

I think we all know this...I'm not sure the Rooneys can see this.

TeeTee
11-07-2015, 08:01 AM

But he sure can rock a pair of cool shades.

http://stillcurtain.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2009/12/Mike_Tomlin.jpg

ALLD
11-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Is he wearing Foster Grants?

86WARD
11-07-2015, 08:44 AM
I'm still shocked that Archer hasn't been picked up...he'll always be a part of the shitty Steelers draft picks though...so he's got that going for him...

tube517
11-07-2015, 08:49 AM
I'm still shocked that Archer hasn't been picked up...he'll always be a part of the shitty Steelers draft picks though...so he's got that going for him...

File him away with Willie Reid and Chris Rainey

ALLD
11-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Archer needs a nice pair of Oakley's.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2015, 09:17 AM

I'm a bit surprised also but it's only been a short time. Someone will probably pick him up before the end of the season. Teams are enamored with speed.

ALLD
11-07-2015, 09:26 AM
My guess is Santa will offer him a one year deal at minimum to pose for bobbleheads and other figurines.

86WARD
11-07-2015, 11:21 AM
I'm a bit surprised also but it's only been a short time. Someone will probably pick him up before the end of the season. Teams are enamored with speed.

I was being sarcastic...if actually be surprised if someone did claim him off of waivers.

ALLD
11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
He is short and can be picked up easily.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2015, 12:10 PM
I was being sarcastic...if actually be surprised if someone did claim him off of waivers.

Gotcha. Teams do seem to pick up the fast guys though even if they haven't done anything in the NFL. "You can't teach speed!" LOL!

86WARD
11-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Gotcha. Teams do seem to pick up the fast guys though even if they haven't done anything in the NFL. "You can't teach speed!" LOL!

Kinda surprised he didn't find his way onto Oaklands roster before Sunday? Lol.

hawaiiansteeler
11-07-2015, 08:43 PM
by Dale Lolley

• Now that the Steelers have moved on from Dri Archer as a kick returning, instead going with Jacoby Jones, let’s take a look back at what they could have done differently in the 2014 draft.

The Steelers selected the speedy Archer – whom they timed at sub 4.2 seconds at the combine - with the 97th pick in that draft.

They passed on, among others, Green Bay tight end Richard Rodgers, Baltimore tight end Crockett Gilmore, Atlanta running back Devonta Freeman, receiver Martavis Bryant or the player they waivered on when it came to pick Archer, Kansas City’s De’Anthony Thomas.

You could make the argument that any of those players would have been a better pick and it would have a lot of merit. But also remember that two of them, Cockrell and Bryant, are currently on the team’s roster.

And let’s also remember that Cockrell, who is now a big part of the Steelers’ secondary, was released earlier this season by Buffalo, which took him 11 picks after Archer was taken.

Sometimes things don’t work out for a player in one place but do in another.

I remember watching Archer at mini-camp in his rookie season and thinking the Steelers had gotten a steal. Nobody could run with him. He would catch a pass or run around end and he was off to the races.

But, once the tackling began, he was a non-factor. He just didn’t have the kind of balance you need to play in this league at 5-8 and 173 pounds.

At the same time, he didn’t get a lot of opportunities, at least not the chances that Thomas, for example, has gotten in Kansas City.

The Chiefs don’t have the offensive weapons that the Steelers possess, so they find ways to get Thomas the ball. Thomas, who is 5-8, 176 pounds, has 36 career catches for 259 yards - a 7.2 yard average - and 22 carries for 140 yards - a 6.4 yard average.

Not including his touches on kick returns, he has averaged just under three offensive touches per game. But he’s scored three offensive touchdowns to go along with one on a return.

The trouble for the Steelers and offensive coordinator Todd Haley was this: Did you want to try to get the ball to Archer three times a game or would you rather keep feeding Antonio Brown, Bryant, Le’Veon Bell, etc.?

Kansas City had no such problems, especially last season, when its receivers went 16 games without scoring a touchdown.

Archer was a bust here to be sure, but it certainly wasn’t all his fault. Circumstance played a role.

• Fans will complain about the 2014 draft because a supplemental third round pick didn’t work out - but let’s also remember that draft produced Ryan Shazier, Tuitt, Bryant and Daniel McCullers. That’s a nice haul.

Add in the addition of Cockrell this year, and you’ve got what appears to be five key players out of one draft.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151106/BLOGS08/151109636

86WARD
11-07-2015, 10:17 PM
I was so pissed when they passed on Bryant for Archer. Elated when they came around and got Bryant...

Steelman
11-08-2015, 12:52 AM
But, once the tackling began, he was a non-factor. He just didn’t have the kind of balance you need to play in this league at 5-8 and 173 pounds.

C'mon Dale, we all know what he really lacked.

S&G.

:chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
11-09-2015, 11:49 AM
by Dale Lolley

@ Jacoby Jones looked a lot like Dri Archer returning kicks Sunday, and it wasn’t just because he chose to wear No. 13. There wasn’t a lot of running room for him, either.

Jones didn’t show me much as a punt returner, either, which might have led head coach Mike Tomlin to put Brown back there in the fourth quarter.

Brown fumbled.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151108/BLOGS08/151109496

salamander
11-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Our return game just sucks in general because of the lack of blocking.

86WARD
11-09-2015, 01:37 PM
I said this in the game day thread a couple times. Jones looked extremely uncomfortable back there returning. Very stiff, very choppy...there was no suddenness or glide that we've known him to have. However, he did get the ball out past the 20 a few times...which is better than Archer has been known to do. Bottom line, Danny Smith and his shit blocking has to go. He's only proving year after year that he is at minimum 2 years past his time here.

tube517
11-09-2015, 02:10 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/11/with-lewis-out-for-the-season-archer-to-patriots-speculation-ramps-up/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

hawaiiansteeler
11-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Dri Archer passes on 10 practice-squad offers

Posted by Mike Florio on November 9, 2015

Last week, the Steelers released running back Dri Archer to create a roster spot for receiver Jacoby Jones. Unclaimed on waivers, Archer became a free agent.

To date, Archer hasn’t signed with another team. However, he has had multiple opportunities to join NFL practice squads.

Per a league source, Archer has passed on 10 offers to join practice squads, including an offer from the Steelers. Archer, a third-round pick in 2014, instead plans to wait and see whether any opportunities arise to join a 53-man roster.

Of course, he could do both, signing on a practice squad and then joining any active roster. For now, he hopes to see whether any of the tailback-needy teams decide to give him a chance to show off his 4.26 speed.

The team with the most immediate need is the Patriots, who have lost versatile running back Dion Lewis for the season with a torn ACL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/09/dri-archer-passes-on-10-practice-squad-offers/

ALLD
11-09-2015, 04:22 PM
4.26 on paper.

86WARD
11-09-2015, 05:33 PM
Lol. The Steelers threw him an offer and he turned it down...

Wonder who the other 9 teams were.

ALLD
11-09-2015, 07:31 PM
He might get some Dennis Dixon luck and fall into a good team, but if I were him I would take the best offer on the table now.

salamander
11-09-2015, 08:15 PM
I think I've said this before but watch him sign with the Cheats and look like an all-pro.

steelreserve
11-09-2015, 10:20 PM
I think I've said this before but watch him sign with the Cheats and look like an all-pro.

Better yet: He goes to the Patriots and fucks up their offense by taking touches away from players actually worth a damn (namely: everyone).

You gotta think positive.

Steeldude
11-10-2015, 03:25 AM
I am glad he turned down the Steelers' practice camp invite. There was no point in having him there. When will the coaches learn?

hawaiiansteeler
11-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Signing Jacoby Jones was a mistake. If not Wheaton, then I'd use Todman on returns. It's obvious Jones no longer has it. I would release him and bring back Ross Ventrone to enhance the coverage units. I think Sam Jones might have more speed than Jaboby at this point.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1609753-steel-working-through-a-win

TeeTee
11-10-2015, 03:46 PM

Ward, why would you even be slightly surprised? What positives has Archer ever displayed whatsoever? He sucks at kick returns, he sucks at running back, he sucks as a receiver, he can't pick up a pass rusher...why on earth would any team want him?

- - - Updated - - -

Signing Jacoby Jones was a mistake. If not Wheaton, then I'd use Todman on returns. It's obvious Jones no longer has it. I would release him and bring back Ross Ventrone to enhance the coverage units. I think Sam Jones might have more speed than Jaboby at this point.

You're right. J Jones doesn't have "it" anymore. Ravens knew it, which is why they didn't bother to pick him up. Bad move Steelers. And guess why they won't drop him and add someone who might offer something? Rooneys won't want to admit the mistake or spend the extra money.

- - - Updated - - -

Better yet: He goes to the Patriots and fucks up their offense by taking touches away from players actually worth a damn (namely: everyone).

You gotta think positive.

No way. Belichick never allows players to hang around if they are worthless. He doesn't care if it's like admitting a mistake. The Steelers get all caught up in their egos and are slow to admit mistakes.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2015, 04:31 PM

I've been calling for Todman to be used on returns since we signed him.

86WARD
11-10-2015, 04:49 PM

Ventrone is property of the Patriots...unless they recently cut him.

hawaiiansteeler
11-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Ventrone is property of the Patriots...unless they recently cut him.

Ross Ventrone is not on the Patriots* 53-man roster, only their practice squad...

86WARD
11-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Ross Ventrone is not on the Patriots* 53-man roster, only their practice squad...

He should've been offered a deal by the Steelers if he's healthy then. He could help the special teams.

Born2Steel
11-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Seems to me Archer never got it or fit into our offense.

Texasteel
11-10-2015, 08:50 PM
Seems to me Archer never got it or fit into our offense.

JMO, but he didn't look to have good field vision, was slow in making decisions, and didn't look that fast coming out the endzone. Match that with being knock off his feet if a player got his finger tips on him and I'm not sure what offense he would fit into.

86WARD
11-11-2015, 05:43 AM
JMO, but he didn't look to have good field vision, was slow in making decisions, and didn't look that fast coming out the endzone. Match that with being knock off his feet if a player got his finger tips on him and I'm not sure what offense he would fit into.

Agree with this. He definitely doesn't break tackles and his "highlight" reel out of college is all straight line running for the most part and not being touched. He doesn't make a play. He's only effective if he has a clear lane with very little to zero obstruction.

ALLD
11-11-2015, 06:05 AM
The guy can walk under a coffee table.

hawaiiansteeler
11-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Dri Archer rejects offer to re-join the Steelers

Bryan DeArdo

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/571/6/6_4006571.jpg

Dri Archer recently declined an opportunity to re-join the Steelers after being released by the team late last week.

Archer, who cleared waivers following his release last Thursday, reportedly declined offers from 10 teams to join their practice squads. One of those teams was the Steelers, who waived Archer last week in favor of veteran return man Jacoby Jones.

It appears that Archer, a third round pick by the Steelers back in 2014, is holding out to sign with a team that will allow him to join the team's active 53-man roster. Archer, who leads the NFL with 14 kickoff returns, is averaging 25.3 yards per return, the best average among players with at least 10 kickoff returns. Jones, who played in his first game with the Steelers on Sunday, averaged 24 yards on four kickoff returns in Pittsburgh's 38-35 win over the Raiders.

Drafted to add an element of excitement to the Steelers' offense and special teams unit, Pittsburgh never found a way to fully utilize Archer's blazing speed. After recording 10 carries and seven catches as a rookie, Archer didn't get a single carry or make a single catch this past season, as Archer watched as Jordan Todman and Isaiah Pead passed him on the team's depth chart.

to read rest of article:

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Dri-Archer-rejects-offer-to-re-join-the-Steelers--40973713

Rotorhead
11-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Guess he needs to start looking for work outside of football, too good to get on a practice roster . . . maybe he should start a track career.

zulater
11-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Cutting Archer was the right thing to do. Signing Jacoby Jones appears to be a very big mistake. Wheaton could have handled the kick return duties for the remainder of the season, and Brown could have continued to return punts.

Jones can't catch the damn ball. and when he does he goes off in the wrong direction. If he doesn't improve he will end up costing us big time. Personally I would cut him tonight. I never saw the need for the signing, and after having seen him a couple of games now all I can say is it scares the living crap out of me every time the ball goes near him.

86WARD
11-16-2015, 07:43 PM
He can't catch the ball, runs with a jitter and looks extremely uncomfortable. I feel like he's thinking too much back there...I fear that he's going to give up a big turnover in a critical situation very soon...

Count Steeler
11-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Boykin, Todman, Wheaton. Put the 3 names in a hat and use them. Cut Jac Jones now.

86WARD
11-17-2015, 01:48 AM
Who is this Boykin?

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Who is this Boykin?

http://chubbychatterbox.com/site/1713chub/dog_house.jpg

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Comment From Guest: What did Jacoby Jones show this year that he was better than Dri Archer? Should we bring back DRI!!!?

Ed Bouchette: Give it up. Dri Archer was a wasted draft pick and as I wrote today, the rest of the NFL agrees since no one has signed him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/chat

steelreserve
11-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Getting rid of Jones wouldn't mean we should bring Archer back. They both suck. Hopefully Pouncey makes it back this season and we can use the roster spot for someone actually worth a damn.

Shoes
11-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Getting rid of Jones wouldn't mean we should bring Archer back. They both suck. Hopefully Pouncey makes it back this season and we can use the roster spot for someone actually worth a damn.

Agreed, the team has two players on the roster that would surely do a better job then archer & jones

SteelGhost
11-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Maybe we can use Jacoby Jones roster spot to keep Adams only for depth (I can't believe I just wrote that :chuckle: )

hawaiiansteeler
11-17-2015, 08:24 PM
Jets work out Dri Archer, others

Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpw zlmtmznji4ztgzzwziytqxngmwzwnlywjlnzniy2yw-e1447801515741.jpeg?w=212

Former Steelers running back Dri Archer, a third-round pick in 2014, has yet to find a new home. On Tuesday, Archer got a chance to show another team what he can do.

Per a league source, the Jets worked out Archer.

Also getting workouts with the Jets were receiver Trindon Holliday, receiver Damaris Johnson, punter Casey Redfern, and a whopping seven kickers: Corey Acosta, Michael Barnard, Tommy Frevert, Andrew Furney, Zach Hocker, Marvin Kloss, and Giorgio Tavecchio.

PFT recently reported that Archer, who ran a 4.26-second 40 at the Scouting Combine, turned down an invitation to join the practice squads of 10 different teams, including the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/11/17/jets-work-out-dri-archer-others/

hawaiiansteeler
11-19-2015, 11:56 PM
Boom or bust: What usually becomes of Pittsburgh Steelers third-round draft picks?

By Dani Bostick  @danibostick on Nov 19, 2015

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nUSIQAqY5Cv2C6iasculPJ34w0o=/0x210:2680x1997/2400x1600/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47696407/usa-today-8910727.0.jpg

Kick returner Dri Archer is no longer with the Steelers, cut after Week 8. Third-round picks aren't exactly a stab in the dark. Let's take a look at the third-round picks during the Mike Tomlin era.

The Pittsburgh Steelers cut kick returner Dri Archer after Week 8, replacing him with Jacoby Jones, most recently of the San Diego Chargers and formerly of the Baltimore Ravens. While many armchair coaches were dissatisfied with Archer’s performance, he is still ranked 8th in the league in yards-per-return. Archer seems even more competent in hindsight as Jones has made questionable decisions, had limited productivity, and made dreadful mistakes, including a fumble in the Week 10 game against the Cleveland Browns.

Archer’s story is noteworthy not just because the team is stuck with an inferior player, but also because Archer was a third-round pick in the 2014 draft, had showed signs of promise, and then was unceremoniously cut even though much of his poor performance could be blamed on other factors (such as dismal special teams blocking.)

If Archer recently tried out with the New York Jets. It is impossible to predict if he will have a successful career with a new team. It is possible, however, to look at previous draft picks the Steelers terminated early in their careers. How have other third-round picks fared with the Steelers during the Mike Tomlin era?

2007- Matt Spaeth, TE, Minnesota

Mike Tomlin's first draft was a successful one. The Steelers picked up LB Lawrence Timmons, LB LaMarr Woodley, TE Matt Spaeth, P Daniel Sepulveda, and William Gay, all of whom contributed to the Steelers for several years. Timmons is still an active member of the Steelers, while Woodley, whose performance declined tremendously after he signed a big-time contract, had limited productivity for the Oakland Raiders in 2014 and is now a member of the Arizona Cardinals where his level of play pales in comparison to the peak of his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Matt Spaeth played his first four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before spending 2011 and 2012 with the Chicago Bears. He is now back with the Steelers. Spaeth has been a reliable tight end, mostly known for his blocking.

2008- Bruce Davis, LB, UCLA

The 2008 draft was the year that brought WR Limas Sweed to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round. As fans know, he did not amount to much with the team and has become somewhat of a symbol of a disappointing draft pick. First-round pick running back Rashard Mendenhall was a mainstay on the team's offense. He played five seasons with the Steelers and finished his career with the Arizona Cardinals.

Pittsburgh-native SS Ryan Mundy was the seventh-round pick this year, and stayed with the Steelers for four seasons. He played for the Giants in 2013 and the Bears in 2014. While with the Bears, he totaled six passes defensed and four interceptions along with 103 tackles, a sack, and a touchdown. Mundy is still with the Bears, but he is on injured reserve for the 2015 season.

Third-round pick Bruce Davis had a short, unproductive career. He was with the Steelers in 2008 and then the Oakland Raiders in 2010 and 2011. He did not see much playing time during his short stint in the NFL.

2009- Kraig Urbick, T, Wisconsin; Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi; Keenan Lewis, DB, Oregon State

In 2009, the Steelers drafted DT Ziggy Hood in the first round and OT Kraig Urbik, WR Mike Wallace, and CB Keenan Lewis in the third round. Urbik did not see much playing time at all with the Steelers. Ramon Foster was chosen instead of him as the backup guard. Since 2010 when he was waived, he has played with the Buffalo Bills where he is the starting right guard.

Mike Wallace left the Steelers in 2012. He had two mediocre years with the Miami Dolphins (relative to the peak of his career with the Steelers) and has had limited productivity with the Minnesota Vikings so far this year. The Steelers bet on Antonio Brown, and that gamble paid off.

Keenan Lewis played with the Steelers through 2012. That season, he had 23 passes defensed, a forced fumble, and 56 tackles. Lewis is now with the New Orleans Saints where he has not matched his productivity with the Steelers. A reason for his poor productivity could be the incompetence of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan who was recently fired. So far this season, he has six tackles and two passes defensed. He has only played in six games so far this season.

2010- Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Southern Methodist

2010 was the year of C Maurkice Pouncey, LB Jason Worilds, WR Emmanuel Sanders, and WR Antonio Brown.

Worilds retired after the 2014 season, even though he was at the peak of his career. Sanders is now enjoying a productive career with the Broncos, though, again, the Steelers made the right choice by betting on Antonio Brown as the future of the franchise at the wide receiver position.

2011- Curtis Brown, DB, Texas

DE Cameron Heyward, OT Marcus Gilbert, and DB Cortez Allen were all drafted in 2011. Gilbert and Heyward are still strong contributors to the team, while Cortez Allen was not the defensive back the Steelers hoped he would be. This season, he is on injured reserve. Fifth-round pick Chris Carter has continued his career with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Third-round pick DB Curtis Brown played three years with the Steelers, ending his career in 2013. He, obviously, was not the savior of the Steelers secondary, though it was evident from the Brown and Allen picks that the team was at least attempting to address needs in the secondary.

2012- Sean Spence, LB, Miami

In 2012, the Steelers draft picks included David Decastro, OT Mike Adams, LB Sean Spence, DT Alameda Ta'amu, RB Chris Rainey, and OT Kelvin Beachum. Of the players who moved on, non had careers so successful that the Steelers would have second guessed their decisions.

Third-round pick Sean Spence is by no means the team's best linebacker, but he is reliable enough on defense and special teams. Spence, along with teammate Vince Williams, stepped in in Ryan Shazier's absence. During that time, he had 24 tackles and a sack.

2013- Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State

The 2013 draft brought the team OLB Jarvis Jones, RB Le'Veon Bell, WR Markus Wheaton, SS Shamarko Thomas, QB Landry Jones, and ILB Vince Williams. Fourth-round pick Shamarko Thomas hasn't been as productive as the Steelers hoped, while Jarvis Jones is currently finding himself in a make-or-break year this season.

Third-round pick Markus Wheaton has lurked in the shadows of Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, but he definitely has enough talent and potential to develop into a star wide receiver. With the Steelers, however, he will not have as many opportunities to shine since Brown, Bryant, and Miller tend to be favored by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the Todd Haley offense.

2014- Dri Archer, RB, Kent State

In 2014 the Steelers acquisitions included OLB Ryan Shazier, DT Stephon Tuitt, RB Dri Archer, WR Martavis Bryant, and DT Dan McCullers. Archer is no longer with the team, but other picks Shazier, Tuitt, Bryant, and McCullers are still reliable contributors on the field.

2015- Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn

First-round pick Bud Dupree has definitely been playing like a first-round pick. Second-round pick Senquez Golson was sidelined with injury before the season even started. The team has not utilized third-round pick Sammie Coates much at all, while CB Doran Grant is yet another example of a draft pick to help the secondary who has yet to end up contributing.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2015/11/19/9759032/what-usually-becomes-of-pittsburgh-steelers-third-round-draft-picks

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 05:15 AM
Archer’s story is noteworthy not just because the team is stuck with an inferior player, but also because Archer was a third-round pick in the 2014 draft, had showed signs of promise, and then was unceremoniously cut even though much of his poor performance could be blamed on other factors (such as dismal special teams blocking.)

What ... just what the fuck are you smoking, guy? Signs of promise? Other factors? What other factor is there except that he sucked? Are you blind?

As for the rest of the third-round picks, it looks like we got one marginal role player (Spaeth), one guy who was OK and then became good elsewhere (Sanders), one guy who might've been good but became average because of injury (Spence), and five guys who sucked a dirty ass.

That's an AWFUL success rate for what's still a pretty high pick. No solid players, one role player, one shitty role player, and a bunch of bullshit. On what planet made of crack cocaine is that an acceptable outcome? Almost all of them suck. Coates doesn't count yet because he hasn't even played.

I think my opinions of Tomlin's third-round draft picks can best be expressed in song, by the music of the great Wesley Willis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uc0mAA8_Q4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV0GI8FkJBc

86WARD
11-20-2015, 06:02 AM
There was one sign of promise in that preseason game against the Giants. His sole highlight. It was early on so here technically was "a sign".

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 10:11 AM
http://pfref.com/tiny/At0he

While the Steelers 3rd round picks are often head scratchers - it isn't like the rest of the league is consistently lighting things up in the round and running circles around the Steelers. Taking a look at ALL 3rd round picks in the same time frame as the OP, you can see some great picks (Jamaal Charles, Justin Houston, TY Hilton, DeMarco Murray, Navarro Bowman, etc) but I also see a ton of depth guys and many that are simply out of football.

Go ahead, try and find a SINGLE franchise that has a demonstrably and consistently better string of 3rd round picks than the Steelers. I am not saying they are the best, or even above average, but that they are in line with the rest of the league - perhaps slightly ahead of the average.

Now if you compare each of the Steelers picks to the ENTIRE data set of ALL 3rd round picks in the time-frame, sure it looks bad - but that is hindsight and not a realistic exercise. Compare the Steelers to any other team on the list head to head. I don't think you will find many other franchises that "hands down" just blow the doors of the Steelers.

ALLD
11-20-2015, 10:12 AM
Cleveland has better luck with their 3rd round picks than 1st.

hawaiiansteeler
11-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Cleveland has better luck with their 3rd round picks than 1st.

the Brownies actually haven't had many 3rd round picks since 2007, seems like they like to trade those away:

2015 3 77 Duke Johnson RB
2015 3 96 Xavier Cooper DT
2014 3 71 Christian Kirksey LB
2014 3 94 Terrance West RB
2013 3 68 Leon McFadden DB
2012 3 87 John Hughes DT
2010 3 85 Colt McCoy QB
2010 3 92 Shawn Lauvao OG

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Go ahead, try and find a SINGLE franchise that has a demonstrably and consistently better string of 3rd round picks than the Steelers. I am not saying they are the best, or even above average, but that they are in line with the rest of the league - perhaps slightly ahead of the average.

I would say the 49ers pretty much killed us over the past decade. There are probably others too, but that was the first one that came to mind.

In the third round, you ought to be getting about a 40-40-20 mix of bust, average rotation player, quality starter. We've sucked shit at that.

Hell, just looking at the third round, it's kind of an arbitrary distinction with a small sample size and maybe we happened to be unlucky. But we've also mostly sucked in the fourth round. And also sucked in the fifth round and ... you see how this becomes a problem eventually. In case anyone was wondering, that's where our defensive depth went.

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 01:22 PM
I would say the 49ers pretty much killed us over the past decade. There are probably others too, but that was the first one that came to mind.

In the third round, you ought to be getting about a 40-40-20 mix of bust, average rotation player, quality starter. We've sucked shit at that.

Hell, just looking at the third round, it's kind of an arbitrary distinction with a small sample size and maybe we happened to be unlucky. But we've also mostly sucked in the fourth round. And also sucked in the fifth round and ... you see how this becomes a problem eventually. In case anyone was wondering, that's where our defensive depth went.

Really?http://pfref.com/tiny/6ZHMP

So Bowman and a Culliver. And McDonald was good if you don't mind alcoholic violent felons.

Steelers - http://pfref.com/tiny/96Hy8

I have Wheaton, Spence, Urbrik, Wallace, Sanders, Spaeth, and Lewis as better than any of the 49'ers picks besides Bowman. Coates may prove to be as well. That means we are left with only Archer, Brown, and Davis.

3 out of 11 that busted out and 8/11 that "hit". Just because the player is not on the team that originally drafted them does not mean that it wasn't a solid selection.

The fourth round and fifth round are a horror show. But for sake of random comparison, take a look at the Ravens' fourth round in the same time frame http://pfref.com/tiny/Oc8XD So Pitta and garbage?

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Really?http://pfref.com/tiny/6ZHMP

So Bowman and a Culliver. And McDonald was good if you don't mind alcoholic violent felons.

Steelers - http://pfref.com/tiny/96Hy8

I have Wheaton, Spence, Urbrik, Wallace, Sanders, Spaeth, and Lewis as better than any of the 49'ers picks besides Bowman. Coates may prove to be as well. That means we are left with only Archer, Brown, and Davis.

3 out of 11 that busted out and 8/11 that "hit". Just because the player is not on the team that originally drafted them does not mean that it wasn't a solid selection.

The fourth round and fifth round are a horror show. But for sake of random comparison, take a look at the Ravens' fourth round in the same time frame http://pfref.com/tiny/Oc8XD So Pitta and garbage?

Bowman was a star player, and all his off-the-field BS aside, so was McDonald. They were key parts of that defense. Culliver was a good role player, sometimes decent starter. Frank Gore was one of the top 2 backs in franchise history. Adam Snyder was a 10-year starter and a pretty good one.

I guess I differ from you in that if we don't keep our players, what they do afterward doesn't count because it has NO value to us. Whether it was over not having the money to pay them, or just not evaluating their value correctly, one way or another that is OUR fault. Grooming someone to be a good player for some other team - where's the value in that? What WE get from the pick is whatever they did for us while they were here. I guess if we help the Broncos or the Saints we can pat ourselves on the back for having a good eye for talent in hindsight ... but it doesn't help us for shit.

Fine, don't call it a "bust," call it a wasted pick. Urbik and Lewis were both wasted picks, then. Sanders we basically got break-even value for. Wallace was the only one of the departed who outplayed his status enough that I would call it a "win." We let all of the good ones go. (Side note: You know how everyone's always talking about impending salary cap doom but it never comes? Those three players were part of it.)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Wheaton is looking like a bust. This year was his big chance, and he's got 16 catches for 275 yards, a third of which was on one play.

So, basically two good players and one decent one who we let go after a short time, then table scraps. I guess we could've had a pretty good haul if we'd managed it better, but we didn't, and I definitely don't think those are separate.

polamalubeast
11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Look at the draft of the steelers since 2010

Pouncey,Sanders,Brown,Gilbert,Heyward,Decastro,Kev in Beacham,Bell,Tuitt,Bryant,etc.....This is very good for me!

Of course, some pick are less good, but no team is perfect!

Mojouw
11-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Bowman was a star player, and all his off-the-field BS aside, so was McDonald. They were key parts of that defense. Culliver was a good role player, sometimes decent starter. Frank Gore was one of the top 2 backs in franchise history. Adam Snyder was a 10-year starter and a pretty good one.

I guess I differ from you in that if we don't keep our players, what they do afterward doesn't count because it has NO value to us. Whether it was over not having the money to pay them, or just not evaluating their value correctly, one way or another that is OUR fault. Grooming someone to be a good player for some other team - where's the value in that? What WE get from the pick is whatever they did for us while they were here. I guess if we help the Broncos or the Saints we can pat ourselves on the back for having a good eye for talent in hindsight ... but it doesn't help us for shit.

Fine, don't call it a "bust," call it a wasted pick. Urbik and Lewis were both wasted picks, then. Sanders we basically got break-even value for. Wallace was the only one of the departed who outplayed his status enough that I would call it a "win." We let all of the good ones go. (Side note: You know how everyone's always talking about impending salary cap doom but it never comes? Those three players were part of it.)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Wheaton is looking like a bust. This year was his big chance, and he's got 16 catches for 275 yards, a third of which was on one play.

So, basically two good players and one decent one who we let go after a short time, then table scraps. I guess we could've had a pretty good haul if we'd managed it better, but we didn't, and I definitely don't think those are separate.

Gore and Snyder are outside the period we are comparing. Culliver is now a Redskin, so he can't count for the 49'ers either. Neither can McDonald since the team released him and so did his subsequent team (Bears). So now we are talking about Bowman and Borland. This is the track record that beats the Steelers over the same 7 year period? Not sure I see how that argument comes together - unless you are simply dedicated to be pessimistic.

ALLD
11-20-2015, 04:12 PM
I think the issue with Wheaton are the 2 potential HoFers in front of him named Antonio Bryant and Martavius Bell.

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Gore and Snyder are outside the period we are comparing. Culliver is now a Redskin, so he can't count for the 49'ers either. Neither can McDonald since the team released him and so did his subsequent team (Bears). So now we are talking about Bowman and Borland. This is the track record that beats the Steelers over the same 7 year period? Not sure I see how that argument comes together - unless you are simply dedicated to be pessimistic.

What I mean is that while they were with the 49ers, Culliver and McDonald helped the team a lot and were key pieces for them, nearly won them a championship. That counts for a lot more than one year of Keenan Lewis or two and a half years of WR3 play from Sanders and then done.

Not that NOTHING counts for ex-players. Just that only what they did for YOU counts.

I wasn't aware there was a specific cutoff; I was going back a decade. I would have called Gore and Snyder relevant since they were both still on the team until very recently and part of their Super Bowl squad. Certainly beats the dogshit out of Willie Reid, Anthony Smith, and the great Trai Essex.

steelreserve
11-20-2015, 04:31 PM
I think the issue with Wheaton are the 2 potential HoFers in front of him named Antonio Bryant and Martavius Bell.

He was handed the #2 WR job for the first third of the season and was pretty miserable. Heyward-Bey outplayed him from the #3 position. I don't know whether defenses keyed on him because of his elevated status - probably not the issue since he's been equally miserable once returning to the #3 WR - or he just hit his ceiling early.

But he certainly hasn't developed into what we drafted him for, which was either the down-the-field threat, or the guy who can catch a short pass and use his speed to break it for a big gain. Defenses don't have to do anything special to account for him like they did with Wallace, which I am pretty sure was the goal with that pick. His clock speed doesn't translate into game speed.

And he's not really what you want out of a #3 receiver either - usually, a guy who you can rely on to be open, have good hands, and run a few yards after the catch. You would think THAT role is easier with Brown and Bryant, since that matches Wheaton up against the nickel back with usually no safety help. But - nope. He's just sort of become this weird tweener WR who isn't doing any one thing particularly well right now.

zulater
11-20-2015, 05:19 PM
So the Steelers missed on some third round picks, they also hit huge on some later round picks. If Antonio Brown had been drafted in the third round as opposed to the 6th round is anyone bitching? Same with Kelvin Beachum, and Martavis Bryant. I mean I just don't get it sometimes. For example we probably come out of the 13 draft with the best player in the entire draft.(LeVeon Bell) But because we took him in the 2nd round it supposedly doesn't count to the naysayers among'st us. No, all they want to do is bitch about our first round pick.

What's done is done. The Steelers have missed on some picks no doubt. But the overall talent level is still in the top 1/3 of the league this despite usually drafting at the bottom third of every round. So it's not all bad folks.

My opinion, the third round picks, just a coincidental run of bad luck associated with a particular round. I don't think it's any less likely they nab a top flight player in the third round in next year's draft than any other team.

File this one in the category, shit happens.

86WARD
11-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Bryant should have been a 3rd-round pick. The Steelers got lucky he was there in the 4th...lol.

teegre
11-21-2015, 09:25 AM

You're wasting your time with him on this topic. I've spent hours (literally) discussing drafts with him, and this is the one area where I've made zero headway with him. Usually he's pretty amenable to seeing the opposing side of things, but for whatever reason, he digs his heels in when it comes to the draft.

As Zu said: he'd rather focus on Jarvis Jones, rather than acknowledge Le'Veon Bell.

Likewise, if you ever mention AB, he'll bring up Jason Worilds.

SUMMATION:
Unless every single pick in a draft is a first-ballot HOFer, it's a "bad" draft. Oh well.

TeeTee
11-27-2015, 05:22 PM
You're wasting your time with him on this topic. I've spent hours (literally) discussing drafts with him, and this is the one area where I've made zero headway with him. Usually he's pretty amenable to seeing the opposing side of things, but for whatever reason, he digs his heels in when it comes to the draft.

As Zu said: he'd rather focus on Jarvis Jones, rather than acknowledge Le'Veon Bell.

Likewise, if you ever mention AB, he'll bring up Jason Worilds.

SUMMATION:
Unless every single pick in a draft is a first-ballot HOFer, it's a "bad" draft. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x975nL0JWRk

teegre
11-27-2015, 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x975nL0JWRk

Are you really going to trolle in every thread?

Ugh.

86WARD
11-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Just for the record, I was wasting some time today and downloaded the mobile Madden App and am trying to build my team up and got stuck with Archer at RB and he's actually a stud in the game...lol. Once he gets to the outside, it's a minimum 20 yard gain.

hawaiiansteeler
11-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Just for the record, I was wasting some time today and downloaded the mobile Madden App and am trying to build my team up and got stuck with Archer at RB and he's actually a stud in the game...lol. Once he gets to the outside, it's a minimum 20 yard gain.

Dri Archer is FAST!

can't blame him that Haley doesn't know how to design plays to get him outside...

FIRE Haley!!! :stirthepot:

Count Steeler
11-28-2015, 05:57 AM
Dri Archer is FAST!

can't blame him that Haley doesn't know how to design plays to get him outside...

FIRE Haley!!! :stirthepot:

Unfortunately, a leaf blowing in the wind has a better chance of missing tackles than Archer ever did. I swear the passing breeze of a defender would knock him over.

SteelerFanInStl
11-28-2015, 09:01 AM

I play Madden and Archer's card is crazy good because of his speed. I play Ultimate Team and have his upgraded Most Feared card that I use for PR/KR and Toss plays. He's a pretty easy 2 pt conversion on a toss almost every time.

teegre
11-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately, a leaf blowing in the wind has a better chance of missing tackles than Archer ever did. I swear the passing breeze of a defender would knock him over.

Beyond that, he played scared.

A kick returner has to almost be a little "crazy". He has to run at full speed with absolutely no hesitation.

If Archer had gotten the ball, run immediately, with zero hesitation, he probably would have gotten to the 25 or farther every single time. Alas, he played scared, hesitated, never ran at full speed (negating his only asset), and once another player got anywhere near him, he fell (almost as if he was afraid to get hit).

SteelerFanInStl
11-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Beyond that, he played scared.

A kick returner has to almost be a little "crazy". He has to run at full speed with absolutely no hesitation.

If Archer had gotten the ball, run immediately, with zero hesitation, he probably would have gotten to the 25 or farther every single time. Alas, he played scared, hesitated, never ran at full speed (negating his only asset), and once another player got anywhere near him, he fell (almost as if he was afraid to get hit).

I think "fearless" would be a better word for it and I agree, Archer doesn't run like that. He also doesn't have the field vision or the quick twitch elusiveness that's needed to be a great returner in the NFL.

ALLD
11-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Archer was the best cake topper we ever had.

NCSteeler
11-28-2015, 04:40 PM
You can't compare 49ers draft picks with the Steelers. For many of the years you are talking about 49ers were drafting in the upper 60s in the third round and the Steelers usually are in the upper 80s, 90s. So if Cleveland constantly drafts 33rd 34th they have a great record on 2nd round picks, Thats BS APPLES and bananas

86WARD
11-28-2015, 04:50 PM
You can't compare 49ers draft picks with the Steelers. For many of the years you are talking about 49ers were drafting in the upper 60s in the third round and the Steelers usually are in the upper 80s, 90s. So if Cleveland constantly drafts 33rd 34th they have a great record on 2nd round picks, Thats BS APPLES and bananas

Browns 2nd Round Picks since 2000...

Joel Bitonio (http://www.nfl.com/players/joelbitonio/profile?id=BIT316411)
Mitchell Schwartz (http://www.nfl.com/players/mitchellschwartz/profile?id=SCH763124)
Greg Little (http://www.nfl.com/players/greglittle/profile?id=LIT425789)
Jabaal Sheard (http://www.nfl.com/players/jabaalsheard/profile?id=SHE039759)
Montario Hardesty (http://www.nfl.com/players/montariohardesty/profile?id=HAR051743)
T.J. Ward (http://www.nfl.com/players/t.j.ward/profile?id=WAR274773)
Brian Robiskie (http://www.nfl.com/players/brianrobiskie/profile?id=ROB738302)
Mohamed Massaquoi (http://www.nfl.com/players/mohamedmassaquoi/profile?id=MAS318574)
Eric Wright (http://www.nfl.com/players/ericwright/profile?id=WRI193852)
D'Qwell Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/d%27qwelljackson/profile?id=JAC137677)
Brodney Pool (http://www.nfl.com/players/brodneypool/profile?id=POO051141)
Sean Jones (http://www.nfl.com/players/seanjones/profile?id=JON716476)
Chaun Thompson (http://www.nfl.com/players/chaunthompson/profile?id=THO499357)
Andre Davis (http://www.nfl.com/players/andredavis/profile?id=DAV125323)
Quincy Morgan (http://www.nfl.com/players/quincymorgan/profile?id=MOR208485)
Dennis Northcutt (http://www.nfl.com/players/dennisnorthcutt/profile?id=NOR601264)

NCSteeler
12-01-2015, 12:29 AM

Mitchell Schwartz (http://www.nfl.com/players/mitchellschwartz/profile?id=SCH763124)
Montario Hardesty (http://www.nfl.com/players/montariohardesty/profile?id=HAR051743)
Mohamed Massaquoi (http://www.nfl.com/players/mohamedmassaquoi/profile?id=MAS318574)
D'Qwell Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/d%27qwelljackson/profile?id=JAC137677)
Dennis Northcutt (http://www.nfl.com/players/dennisnorthcutt/profile?id=NOR601264)

Damn that's ugly

NCSteeler
12-01-2015, 11:12 AM
So , No stats, but the eyeball test passes on Jacoby. He looks much better after getting acclimated . MUCH better than anything we have seen fro Dri.

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2015, 12:38 PM
So , No stats, but the eyeball test passes on Jacoby. He looks much better after getting acclimated . MUCH better than anything we have seen fro Dri.

I agree. He's getting some return yardage now.

steelreserve
12-01-2015, 12:54 PM
If he can just hold on to the fucking ball. He nearly lost it again this week. Fix that and it's a nice step forward, although there's less than zero chance he's back next year regardless.

I wasn't a fan of his decision to run it out of the end zone with 2:01 remaining and thereby waste the 2-minute warning (and get tackled at the 16), but I guess if you think the possible payoff of a big play outweighs that, it could go both ways.

hawaiiansteeler
12-01-2015, 11:53 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p5VD3jg5L._SX366_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Paperback $17.99

A humorous coloring book for the whole family, depicting famous disappointing moments from Cleveland professional sports. Why is Daddy Sad on Sunday: Disappointing Moments in Cleveland Sports Coloring Book contains 25 drawings depicting scenes of the biggest Cleveland professional sports bummers.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Daddy-Sad-Sunday.../dp/061599234X

Hawkman
12-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Back to topic........J Jones is getting better for us.....maybe he's talking to his blockers. He is going to break one for us! Just wait and see!

86WARD
12-02-2015, 06:09 AM
He's starting to look more comfortable but I still think there is a critical fumble coming from him in the very near future...

teegre
12-02-2015, 06:45 AM
If he can just hold on to the fucking ball. He nearly lost it again this week.

Yep.
I hold my breath every time that he fields the ball.

Shoes
12-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Yep.
I hold my breath every time that he fields the ball.

I actually expect him to fumble it every time he fields a ball.. Jones seems to do better when he fields the ball and just takes off. He seems to have problems when he hesitates or attempts some fancy footwork. I still don't like this, the team could have faired well with the folks on the roster. It's hard to understand why he's having issues when this is just about all he did in the NFL. Pretty amazing, a guy runs the ball out to the 26 and we get excited. :chuckle:

teegre
12-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Pretty amazing, a guy runs the ball out to the 26 and we get excited. :chuckle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRXq8TKq-a8&app=desktop

Count Steeler
12-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Pretty amazing, a guy runs the ball out to the 26 and we get excited. :chuckle:

If he ever hits the 40, Steelers Nation will asplode, especially if there is no flag.

tube517
12-02-2015, 12:43 PM
If he ever hits the 40, Steelers Nation will asplode, especially if there is no flag.

You'll need a royal flush for that to happen. Special teams is truly a hippo fart on killing long returns.

Hawkman
12-02-2015, 04:43 PM
You'll need a royal flush for that to happen. Special teams is truly a hippo fart on killing long returns.

Hippo fart? :rofl2:

86WARD
12-06-2015, 07:32 PM
He's starting to look more comfortable but I still think there is a critical fumble coming from him in the very near future...

Well that didn't take long...

steelerdude15
12-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Marcus Wheaton...

hawaiiansteeler
12-06-2015, 09:17 PM
Jacoby Jones will be released this week...

Mojouw
12-06-2015, 10:34 PM
I think Jones might be in the locker room packing his stuff now.

86WARD
12-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Maybe he can room with Archer.

Shoes
12-06-2015, 10:50 PM

Lets hope so, he should have never been on the team.

SteelerFanInStl
12-06-2015, 10:52 PM
He better be!

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2015, 11:21 PM
Wheaton on kick returns for now on.

Who can return punts on this team that isnt an All-pro receiver?

zoneblitzerII
12-07-2015, 12:07 AM
Jacoby's career is over. I saw that earlier when he first came onboard. He runs with hesitation in his step. He used to be confident and fearless. I don't see that in him anymore. And that means, it's over.

steelreserve
12-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Wheaton on kick returns for now on.

Who can return punts on this team that isnt an All-pro receiver?

Since receivers have a chance of injury about twice as high per play as return men do, I don't understand why we'd need someone else to do that. Especially when your All-Pro receiver is returning punts for touchdowns. They've done studies on this; if Tomlin doesn't know the statistics, then he's just not paying attention.

Psycho Ward 86
12-07-2015, 01:41 AM
Since receivers have a chance of injury about twice as high per play as return men do, I don't understand why we'd need someone else to do that. Especially when your All-Pro receiver is returning punts for touchdowns. They've done studies on this; if Tomlin doesn't know the statistics, then he's just not paying attention.

I dont have a problem with Antonio returning punts, I just wish he wouldnt do it all the time. Maybe if we need a spark or something situationally, I think it would be nice to throw him back there, kind of like we did with Santonio Holmes.

ALLD
12-07-2015, 04:28 AM
There is a rumor that Tomlin is going to make an offer to former Packer, Desmond Howard to replace Jones.

stillers4me
12-07-2015, 05:08 AM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12342693_10153344231421902_9043835105405952702_n.j pg?oh=393a59009c866c82330f513570670d3b&oe=56E976E8

Count Steeler
12-07-2015, 05:32 AM
Is Danny Smith on that Pink Slip as well?

ALLD
12-07-2015, 05:35 AM
We could use a simple checklist to replace Smith and get at least the same productivity.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Brandon Boykin was a pretty good returner in college.

Georgia career kickoff returns yards with 2,663 and second in SEC history. But Tomlin has some dopey rule that he'll only use offensive players on returns.

tube517
12-07-2015, 06:22 AM
Brandon Boykin was a pretty good returner in college.

Georgia career kickoff returns yards with 2,663 and second in SEC history. But Tomlin has some dopey rule that he'll only use offensive players on returns.
I think Boykin did some return duties in his rookie year with the Eagles

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

ALLD
12-07-2015, 06:25 AM
No Rod Woodon under Tomlin.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 07:05 AM
That's one of the things I hate about Tomlin. There's no reason...

ALLD
12-07-2015, 07:06 AM
More feeling than logic.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 07:16 AM
More feeling than logic.

I "feel" like he relies on his feeling too much at times...open up Mikey...try new things!

Kittyfish
12-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Is it my imagination, or have the Steelers spent (essentially wasted) a lot of resources on people recruited from other teams who just weren't worth it? Jacoby Jones, Scobee and the other kicker guy before him come to mind, just off the top of my head. Jones might as well have been still playing for the Ravens for all the good he did here.

TD's & Beer
12-07-2015, 08:29 AM
A "Bring back Archer' thread?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Steeldude
12-07-2015, 08:48 AM
IMO, Tomlin's decision to acquire Jones was based on Jones once making a splash play against the Steelers. I would say the same for the acquisition of Todman.

86WARD
12-07-2015, 08:56 AM
IMO, Tomlin's decision to acquire Jones was based on Jones once making a splash play against the Steelers. I would say the same for the acquisition of Todman.

I tend to agree with this...

ALLD
12-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Tomlin is also rumored to be trying to get Ed Too Tall Jones and Hollywood Enderson for their splash olays against Bradshaw in SB XIII.

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 09:56 AM

Totally agree. To be fair, all teams do this to an extent. The most famous recent example was the Pats and Welker. They were tired of him simply killing them when we was on the Dolphins.

ALLD
12-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Jones is no Welker or JFK either.

Mojouw
12-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Jones is no Welker or JFK either.

Obviously. But to point out that the Steelers acquiring players, that attempt to fill glaring holes on the roster, at least partially based on past performances against them as a bad thing is kind of unfair.

Another example, Kimo von Olhofen. Dirt Dawson said he hated blocking him. Team listened and signed him in free agency.

hawaiiansteeler
12-08-2015, 12:47 AM
Mike Tomlin says Jacoby Jones is “done”

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 6, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/tomlin-e1442772482143.jpg?w=203

Mike Tomlin might have had to trip Jacoby Jones.

Instead, he just benched him.

Tomlin told NBC’s Michele Tafoya that Jones was “done” for the night after he coughed up a pair of kicks in the first half.

Jones was once one of the game’s most dynamic return men, which caused teams to come up with unique ways to slow him down.

But Jones was available to the Steelers for a reason, as the Chargers decided he wasn’t worth keeping around with his negative punt return average (minus-0.8 per return).

He might never get another chance with the Steelers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/06/mike-tomlin-says-jacoby-jones-is-done/related/

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Not only did he fumble twice last game, he came close to fumbling almost 50% of the time he tried to return the ball. Seriously, there were at least 6 or 8 times in four games where the ball came out of his hands but he luckily landed on top of it, or a guy ripped the ball loose but it popped back up into his chest or went out of bounds, or any number of near-disasters. I never thought I'd say it, but the guy is worse than Archer. At least Archer would lose yards without fumbling the ball.

No, I don't think they should bring Archer back. They'd be better off using Brown for punts and Wheaton for kickoffs, and signing zombie Kiesel for DL depth.

SteelerFanInStl
12-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Why hasn't he been cut? There's no reason for him to be on the team.

Shoes
12-08-2015, 07:59 AM
Why hasn't he been cut? There's no reason for him to be on the team.

Because Tomlin is so full of himself. Just like Archer and others he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. Even Belicheat cut harper after a muffed punt return. If jones plays against the Bengals and Broncos, he'll cost the Steelers the game. And Tomlin should be fired on the spot.

tube517
12-08-2015, 08:56 AM
What happened to Todman? He could have handled KRs and he's already been pushed out as the #2 RB by Monsieur Touissant.

Kick return unit is just a big hippo fart right now. Wheaton is really the best answer right now. Leave AB at PR.

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Because Tomlin is so full of himself. Just like Archer and others he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake. Even Belicheat cut harper after a muffed punt return. If jones plays against the Bengals and Broncos, he'll cost the Steelers the game. And Tomlin should be fired on the spot.

Fired and beaten up. Don't forget we need to maintain some amount of decorum.

ALLD
12-08-2015, 10:36 AM
The masking tape above Jones' locker should already be peeled off.

polamalubeast
12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Steelers demote Jacoby Jones in favor of Wheaton, Brown

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-depth-chart-returners-wheaton-brown-jones-week-14/

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 11:44 AM

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/12/steelers-depth-chart-returners-wheaton-brown-jones-week-14/

Demoted? What use is there on the roster for a return specialist who can't return? Demoted to the waiver wire is more like it.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 12:39 PM

thank god we'll have fucking punt returner depth

Shoes
12-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Tomlin's revenge, jones is going to the dog house for that 100k fine. :chuckle:

Why else would you keep him?

tube517
12-08-2015, 01:14 PM
Tomlin's revenge, jones is going to the Boykin house for that 100k fine. :chuckle:

Fixed. :chuckle:

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Tomlin's revenge, jones is going to the dog house for that 100k fine. :chuckle:

Because he's now part of the animal porn blackmail ring. Once Archer was cut and Landry Jones turned out to actually be able to play, Cam Thomas got lonely, so he recruited Blake and Jacoby into the scheme.

hawaiiansteeler
12-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Jacoby Jones demoted from KR and PR duties by Steelers, not released

By Jeff.Hartman and Dani Bostick on Dec 8, 2015

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/f01l9pFlenwBk-uRkQ1kk21B23g=/0x105:3852x2673/2400x1600/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47828443/usa-today-8911789.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers adjusted their depth chart following Jacoby Jones' two fumbles against the Colts in Week 12. What was surprising is Jones wasn't given his outright release.

Once upon a time, Jacoby Jones was a Baltimore Raven, running down the sidelines towards the endzone as Mike Tomlin looked at the jumbotron in disbelief. When Dri Archer was released earlier in the season, Jacoby Jones became a Pittsburgh Steeler, after a stint with the San Diego Chargers.

On Sunday night, Jones appeared to have oiled his hands, fumbling twice. It wasn't the first time Jones struggled. In other games as a Steeler he either fumbled or appeared dangerously close to fumbling. His best plays were the ones where he simply held onto the ball.

After his wretched performance on Sunday evening, it seemed almost a guarantee that the beleaguered, butterfingered kick returner would be sent packing. After all, he has become the returner version of placekicker Josh Scobee. When he hits the field, fans cross their fingers, hold their breath, and wince in anticipation of an avoidable catastrophe.

Instead, as Bob Labriola reported via Twitter on Tuesday, Jacoby Jones was merely demoted. Markus Wheaton and Antonio Brown are now at the top of the depth chart for kick returns and punt returns.

Jones is taking up space on the roster at a time when, though it is Week 14, the team is struggling to forge an identity in the secondary and have suffered a spate of injuries so extensive at times it appears the team was cursed.

Does Jones really deserve a spot on the roster? It is hard to imagine the Steelers rationale for keeping him on the team after he has proven to be a liability rather than an asset.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/12/8/9871244/jacoby-jones-demoted-from-kr-and-pr-duties-by-steelers-not-released

teegre
12-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Cut Jones now!!!

Use that spot for Howard Jones.

What??? Oh... use that spot for Delvin Breaux.

New Orlea- what??? Um... use that spot for Josh Mauro.

Nevermind.

zulater
12-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Cut Jones now!!!

Use that spot for Howard Jones.

What??? Oh... use that spot for Delvin Breaux.

New Orlea- what??? Um... use that spot for Josh Mauro.

Nevermind.

I'd sooner they use the roster spot on a kickoff man if one's out there to be found. Hell Scobee sucked at fg's but he got touchback depth on kickoff
's almost every time. I wonder if there's a rule against bringing him back? :lol: I only half joke. Because seriously Boswell's kickoffs are getting progressively weaker as the season goes on. In a tight game against a good returner that could swing a game to a loss if he doesn't improve. ( he wont, at least not this year)

So I say cut Jones and bring in the kick off cavalcade.

steelreserve
12-08-2015, 03:09 PM
There is literally NO reason for him to be here. I'd rather they use the roster spot on a what-the-hell addition at DB or DL, just someone to come in and see if they could play better than, say, Cam Thomas.

Or, maybe Pouncey might actually come back and that's what they're planning on using the spot for, in which case signing some Bozo off the street just for a week or two would be a waste of time.

SteelMember
12-08-2015, 03:19 PM
There is literally NO reason for him to be here. I'd rather they use the roster spot on a what-the-hell addition at DB or DL, just someone to come in and see if they could play better than, say, Cam Thomas.

Or, maybe Pouncey might actually come back and that's what they're planning on using the spot for, in which case signing some Bozo off the street just for a week or two would be a waste of time.

I hope it's Pouncey because I'd just as well sign Bozo than keep Jacoby... That guy's got the yips something awful.

teegre
12-08-2015, 03:52 PM
I'd sooner they use the roster spot on a kickoff man if one's out there to be found. Hell Scobee sucked at fg's but he got touchback depth on kickoff
's almost every time. I wonder if there's a rule against bringing him back? :lol: I only half joke. Because seriously Boswell's kickoffs are getting progressively weaker as the season goes on. In a tight game against a good returner that could swing a game to a loss if he doesn't improve. ( he wont, at least not this year)

So I say cut Jones and bring in the kick off cavalcade.

From 2007-2010ish, the Chargers did just that. Their kicker was accurate, but couldn't kick it into the end-zone.

Many felt it was a waste of a roster spot, but their special teams didn't give up a TD for a long stretch.

zulater
12-08-2015, 06:39 PM
From 2007-2010ish, the Chargers did just that. Their kicker was accurate, but couldn't kick it into the end-zone.

Many felt it was a waste of a roster spot, but their special teams didn't give up a TD for a long stretch.

The Ravens used to do it too. They kept the kicker they brought over from Cleveland (was it Stover?) who was pretty clutch on fg's but had too weak a leg to kick off effectively. Again normally I wouldn't propose that sort of use of a roster spot. But it would be way more productive than Jacoby Jones doing absolutely nothing.

86WARD
12-08-2015, 10:52 PM
There's some sort of issue Tomlin has with playing free agent veterans...with the exception of Vick and Jones had to be played because that's why he was signed.

hawaiiansteeler
02-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Jets sign Dri Archer

Posted by Josh Alper on February 3, 2016

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/484060782-e1454535356457.jpg?w=250

Dri Archer got a lot of notice at the scouting combine in 2014 when he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds, which was the fastest of the year and the second-fastest in recent combine history behind Chris Johnson.

That helped Archer become a third-round pick of the Steelers, but he hasn’t able to make that speed translate into a role on offense in the NFL. He had 10 carries for 40 yards and seven catches for 23 yards as a rookie and didn’t have any offensive touches in eight games before being released in November.

Archer will get a second chance to make it work with the Jets. The team announced they signed Archer, who worked out for them in November, to a futures contract on Wednesday. Jets running backs Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell and Stevan Ridley are all headed for free agency, so it’s unclear what the depth chart will look like at the position when the team starts offseason work.

Archer also returned kickoffs for the Steelers, posting an average of 22.4 yards per return over his two years in Pittsburgh. Antonio Cromartie had the most returns for the Jets in 2015, but is a candidate to be released as the Jets get their cap together.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/03/jets-sign-dri-archer/

ALLD
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Jets must be more desperate than the Steelers or just dumber?

Count Steeler
02-03-2016, 08:03 PM
Whats the over/under on how many TDs he will get next year?

If he gets 1, I'll be shocked.

86WARD
02-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Whats the over/under on how many TDs he will get next year?

If he gets 1, I'll be shocked.

If he makes the team, I'll be shocked.

ALLD
02-04-2016, 06:57 AM
He should go to the CFL or play soccer.

polamalubeast
05-09-2016, 05:20 PM

Count Steeler
05-09-2016, 09:22 PM

Hmmm. Didn't take them 3 years to figure out he is a waste of a roster spot.

fansince'76
05-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Hmmm. Didn't take them 3 years to figure out he is a waste of a roster spot.

The Jets also didn't burn a 3rd round pick on him to satisfy the OC's hard-on for scat backs, either...

zulater
05-10-2016, 08:58 AM
The Jets also didn't burn a 3rd round pick on him to satisfy the OC's hard-on for scat backs, either...

It's all relevant to investment how much time you'll give them to prove them self a bust. The Jets used the 6th overall pick on Vernon Gholston. I know people inside their building that were saying it was obviously a wasted pick right from his first mini-camp. Yet despite not so much as one sack at any time in his career it took them 3 full seasons to pull the plug.

Anyway regardless of who called the original shot in drafting him it was clear early in Archer's 2nd season that Haley had determined he was of no use in the offense. He was carried the last season and a half in the hopes that he would net some value as a kick returner. Which of course he didn't. And even if he showed a little in that regard, being as the kickoff has mostly been legislated out of existence in the NFL, that he also couldn't return punts made the futile effort to salvage some value from the pick even more dubious.

ALLD
05-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Just looking at his diminutive physical stature should have been enough for the coaches to avoid drafting him.

If I had wings I could fly, but it is physically impossible because I do not.

Born2Steel
05-10-2016, 09:32 AM
Sometimes it's about the moments. Archer would not have been a long term player for any team. IF he had been able to learn A play, or be viable in the return game at all, there may have been those moments when he was the player we hoped we had drafted. Those moments never happened for him, not just due to his size, but apparent lack of ability to learn, or maybe want to, to learn. There have been small, speedy players that lasted with a team for a few years and produced. Archer is not one of those guys.

steelreserve
05-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Sometimes it's about the moments. Archer would not have been a long term player for any team. IF he had been able to learn A play, or be viable in the return game at all, there may have been those moments when he was the player we hoped we had drafted. Those moments never happened for him, not just due to his size, but apparent lack of ability to learn, or maybe want to, to learn. There have been small, speedy players that lasted with a team for a few years and produced. Archer is not one of those guys.

To be honest, I'm not sure it even mattered if he learned the plays or not. He couldn't get open, couldn't avoid tacklers or run with power, and couldn't see the field or make people miss. That takes receiver, running back, and return man out of your skill set no matter how well you know the playbook. Classic example of a guy who succeeded against small-time competition because of his speed alone, but in the pros, everybody's fast. If he played for a D1 program, I doubt he ever got drafted, or that anyone even heard of him.

Born2Steel
05-10-2016, 11:10 AM
typical

86WARD
05-10-2016, 11:57 AM
But Archer was such a good returner!!! WTF...

tube517
05-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Our luck in return men is the same as our luck with DBs. Shitty.

(AB is the rare exception and is an All World WR)

polamalubeast
05-10-2016, 05:53 PM

86WARD
05-10-2016, 06:48 PM
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS...HE WAS A TOP-10 RETURN GUY!!!!

polamalubeast
05-18-2016, 03:03 PM

tube517
05-18-2016, 05:30 PM
"I love the guy and I’ll never give up on him"

-Danny Smith on Dri Archer

86WARD
05-18-2016, 05:44 PM
How Danny Smith still has a job is beyond me. As for Archer...lol.

SteelerFanInStl
05-18-2016, 06:10 PM

He should've been shown the door with Archer.

tube517
05-18-2016, 06:16 PM

QFT

ALLD
05-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Trade Danny Smith to Buffalo for a case of hot sauce and some napkins.