PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

By F. Dale Lolley October 21, 2015

http://www.observer-reporter.com/storyimage/OR/20151021/SPORTS0403/151029862/AR/0/AR-151029862.jpg&maxW=400

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Brandon Boykin (25) celebrates after getting the ball in the end zone after a Arizona Cardinals punt in the first quarter an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015 in Pittsburgh. The Arizona Cardinals got the ball on the two yard line. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

PITTSBURGH – Ask Steelers cornerback Brandon Boykin why he isn’t playing any defense for the team and he’s likely to ask the same question in reply.

Why isn’t he playing?

Boykin, acquired in a trade from Philadelphia one week into training camp by the Steelers for a fifth-round draft pick has logged just 12 defensive snaps all season, including none in the past three games.

“If I had the answers, you wouldn’t be asking me,” Boykin said. “I’d love to be playing, but it’s out of my control. I can’t come in every day with that type of attitude. I’ve got to continue to work and keep a positive mindset. At any moment, I could be in. I don’t make any type of decisions. I just roll with it and control my attitude and practice my butt off for whenever it is.”

He could get his shot Sunday when the Steelers (4-2) play at Kansas City (1-5).

Starter Antwon Blake has a thumb injury on his left hand that kept him out of practice Wednesday. His hand has been placed in a cast.

If Blake is unable to play, Boykin could see his most extensive action for the Steelers since Sept. 20 against San Francisco. In that game, the 5-9, 182-pound fourth-year cornerback was on the field for 11 defensive plays.

Boykin was acquired when second-round draft pick Senquez Golson arrived at training camp with a shoulder injury and placed on injured reserve.

Despite his experience, Boykin wasn’t the Steelers’ starting nickel cornerback, his primary role in the previous three seasons with the Eagles. That job went to Cortez Allen.

When Boykin didn’t play in the opener – the first time in his career that Boykin didn’t log a defensive snap in an NFL game – he approached the coaching staff about his status.

With Allen out against San Francisco with a knee issue, Boykin was in line for an increased role but he tweaked a muscle in his leg in a Monday practice. With Boykin hurting, Ross Cockrell, signed after being released by Buffalo, stepped into the nickel cornerback spot and hasn’t relinquished.

Boykin hasn’t spoken to the coaching staff again about his role.

“Not recently,” he said. “It’s not going to do me any good to keep sitting here, wondering. You can’t. It’s out of your control. If he were to say, ‘You’re going to play,’ and I was thinking about that all week and then I don’t play, that’s just maddening.”

Boykin’s lack of playing time also is befuddling for some fans. When the Steelers acquired Boykin, they touted his ball-hawking skills as a key addition to a pass defense that hadn’t recorded more than 11 interceptions in a season since 2010.

Boykin tied for second in the NFL in interceptions in 2013 with six and had been Philadelphia’s nickel cornerback since his rookie season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20151021/SPORTS0403/151029862/1264

Merchant
10-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Everyone needs to stop with this Boykin stuff lol. If he's not playing, it's for a reason. Maybe he's talented but has a sh1tty attitude (remind you of Legarrette Blount, anyone?). The coaching staff puts the best options on the field. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes; in the locker room, meeting room, practice field, etc.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Has anyone approached Tomlin with this question? The Boykin stuff would stop if there was an answer...

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Has anyone approached Tomlin with this question? The Boykin stuff would stop if there was an answer...

what would be the point?

can't believe a single thing Tomlin says...

86WARD
10-22-2015, 08:17 PM
True...but I would like to hear what kind of shit Tomlin would attempt to spew...

tube517
10-22-2015, 08:23 PM
what would be the point?

Yep. He insults my intelligence with his coachspeak and Tomlinisms. :chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 11:11 PM
True...but I would like to hear what kind of shit Tomlin would attempt to spew...

"Obviously at this juncture, it is what it is.

the expectation level is very high, we accept that. we set the bar high around here, and we embrace that. the standard is the standard, if you will.

everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, those players know who they are. we do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. such is life in the National Football League, quite frankly.

I’m not going to try to paint a rosy picture in any form or fashion, I personally don't subscribe to that hocus pocus. I'm not pondering hypotheticals, we will look at the tape. there's a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes, obviously..."

fansince'76
10-23-2015, 02:09 AM
Yep. He insults my intelligence with his coachspeak and Tomlinisms. :chuckle:

...and bad poker hands!

:chuckle:

86WARD
10-23-2015, 05:41 AM
"Obviously at this juncture, it is what it is.

the expectation level is very high, we accept that. we set the bar high around here, and we embrace that. the standard is the standard, if you will.

everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, those players know who they are. we do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. such is life in the National Football League, quite frankly.

I’m not going to try to paint a rosy picture in any form or fashion, I personally don't subscribe to that hocus pocus. I'm not pondering hypotheticals, we will look at the tape. there's a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes, obviously..."

Mike? Is that you??

TeeTee
10-23-2015, 01:18 PM

Actually, I don't even care to hear his BS, just spews lies over and over. Sick of hearing them.

teegre
10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Actually, I don't even care to hear his BS, just spews lies over and over. Sick of hearing them.

Here's idea for you:
Record Belichick's presser... and when Tonlin steps to the podium, play the recording of Belichick.

StillCurtains
10-23-2015, 07:27 PM
what would be the point?

Yeah here's how it goes....

Repoters: Mike, Why do you continue to play Blake over Boykin when Blake is clearly being beaten on every play?

Tomlin: We refuse to live in our fears.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 12:50 AM
Antwon Blake Injury Could Open Door For Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/antwon-blake-injury-could-open-door-for-brandon-boykin/

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:04 AM
Lol..."could". Do we see another example in a long list of "next man up" coming in and being better than the original man?!?

tube517
10-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Antwon Blake Injury Could Open Door For Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10/antwon-blake-injury-could-open-door-for-brandon-boykin/

I'll believe it when I see it. For all we know, Dri Archer is probably their emergency backup at CB

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:19 AM
He couldn't be any worse at CB than he is at WR, RB and KR.

tube517
10-24-2015, 09:03 AM
He couldn't be any worse at CB than he is at WR, RB and KR.

Yeah, he is great at watching footballs fly over his head. :lol:

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 02:46 PM
Would anyone like to continue defending Tomlin's usage of Blake over Boykin?

tube517
10-25-2015, 02:53 PM

Nobody in this forum has defended Blake over Boykin. Nobody.

Steelman
10-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Have you seen how many threads have been devoted to Brandon Boykin? :lol:

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Nobody in this forum has defended Blake over Boykin. Nobody.

They've defended Boykin not playing as if the best options are already being used, with Blake being one of them.

tube517
10-25-2015, 02:57 PM
They've defended Boykin not playing as if the best options are already being used, with Blake being one of them.

I haven't seen anyone defending Boykin not playing. Maybe rationalizing what the hell Tomlin is doing but not defending that shit.

86WARD
10-25-2015, 03:00 PM
Boykin is sooooooooo bad...almost as bad as the teams ability to tackle.

Steeldude
10-25-2015, 03:01 PM
I haven't seen anyone defending Boykin not playing. Maybe rationalizing what the hell Tomlin is doing but not defending that shit.

Boykins won't play unless Blake is on IR. Blake needs to get hurt to improve the defense. It's better coaching through injuries.

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 03:01 PM

Not much of a difference IMO. Either way, it's inexcusable if Boykin is on the bench and Blake plays next week.

tube517
10-25-2015, 03:02 PM
Not much of a difference IMO. Either way, it's inexcusable if Boykin is on the bench and Blake plays next week.

People try to rationalize on a forum message board all the time. It's called discussion with a lot of maybes. Defending it and saying it's right is different.

And I agree. Blake is nothing but a special teams guy and a backup only. He is not a starter. Boykin should have been in there a long time ago.

JayC
10-25-2015, 03:03 PM
i'm not gonna sit here and say Boykins is Revis or anything but give this man a chance. why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Would love to see Colbert grow a pair and cut Blake. It seems pretty evident that Colbert and Tomlin were not on the same page with the trade. You don't trade away a draft pick for an area of weakness on your team and not play him.

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 03:07 PM
why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????

I agree, Tomlin should not have been our starting HC this game...

Steeldude
10-25-2015, 03:09 PM
i'm not gonna sit here and say Boykins is Revis or anything but give this man a chance. why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????

Because Boykins used his arms to tackle someone in practice. Can't have that

MrPgh
10-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Blake is to Tomlin what Craig Adams was to Dan Bylsma. Teacher's pet.

vindrow
10-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Would love to see Colbert grow a pair and cut Blake. It seems pretty evident that Colbert and Tomlin were not on the same page with the trade. You don't trade away a draft pick for an area of weakness on your team and not play him.

Same could be said of Art Rooney.

hawaiiansteeler
10-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Boykin said he is "1000 percent sure" he will do what he did the 3 years in Philly if he gets more snaps with Gay's uncertainty

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

Shoes
10-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Boykin said he is "1000 percent sure" he will do what he did the 3 years in Philly if he gets more snaps with Gay's uncertainty

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib

There you go Mike Tomlin, your move, let him prove it.

teegre
10-26-2015, 09:40 PM
...with all if these threads.

fansince'76
10-26-2015, 11:16 PM
We seem to be losing 1-2 starters a week to injury, so I'm sure Boykin will be forced into action at some point if nothing else.

StillCurtains
10-27-2015, 01:36 AM
We seem to be losing 1-2 starters a week to injury, so I'm sure Boykin will be forced into action at some point if nothing else.

Want to put a wager on that? Next man up seems to have been the mantra of this whole season while losing players left and right, but with Boykin, the only way he gets in there is if he's the last man standing.

hawaiiansteeler
10-31-2015, 03:01 PM
Guest: Everybody asks this, but c'mon. Why is Boykin not playing? Will Tomlin ever deviate from his initial "plan?" Staying with Blake now, signing and playing Vick until injury, last year not playing Bryant until injury...

Gerry Dulac: And I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who asks ALL the time -- because the coaches don't think he's not good enough, not better than the guys in front of him. He has problems staying on his feet and that's not a good way to cover receivers

fan: Does Tomlin ever admit he was wrong?

Gerry Dulac: He admits that sometimes you have to make decisions based on the information you have at the time and sometimes those decisions don't work.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/28/Gerry-Dulac-s-Steelers-chat-transcript-10-28-15/stories/201510280178

Shoes
10-31-2015, 03:12 PM
fan: Does Tomlin ever admit he was wrong?

Gerry Dulac: He admits that sometimes you have to make decisions based on the information you have at the time and sometimes those decisions don't work.

Which translated means --- no he doesn't.

Guest: Do you think Adams and Cortez are done as steelers?

Gerry Dulac: I think Cortez Allen is. You don't get benched twice and put on IR twice in two years and get a third try. Especially when he is scheduled to count $5.75 million against the cap in 2016. Even if they cut him, he will still count just slightly more than $4 million

:thumbsup:

hawaiiansteeler
11-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Boykin played 524 snaps for the Eagles last year and didn't allow a TD on any of his targets.

has anyone heard why he isn't being given a chance to play? :noidea:

fansince'76
11-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Boykin played 524 snaps for the Eagles last year and didn't allow a TD on any of his targets.

has anyone heard why he isn't being given a chance to play? :noidea:

Of course not! "Minister of Truth" Rooney simply will not allow the media to ask those kinds of questions! :rolleyes:

TeeTee
11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Of course not! "Minister of Truth" Rooney simply will not allow the media to ask those kinds of questions! :rolleyes:

Look at the facts. Rooneys control local media in a huge way.

fansince'76
11-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Sure...

NFL Media Access Policy (http://www.profootballwriters.org/nfl-media-access-policy/)

If they had their druthers, the coaches would NEVER talk to the media. EVER. I'm sure that a fair number of the players would also follow suit if they could.

They can't just cut off media access to the team on a whim. If they could, they would.

86WARD
11-05-2015, 03:41 AM
They would be able to cut off "exclusives" though...

hawaiiansteeler
11-25-2015, 01:11 PM
by Jim Wexell

Q: One spot that still makes people nervous is cornerback. We know Will Gay can play and Ross Cockrell seems like a real find. The Brandon Boykin and Antwon Blake situation still seems to be a question. Aren't people still complaining about that?

AM: Probably. You know, this guy -- and I'm talking about the head coach -- he impressed me early on as being a guy who really makes moves based on his available options. There's that Chris Rock thing about a married man's ability to stay faithful to his wife is directly related to his options. I think in coaching, you can't do things based on "Get him outta there." Who do I have to play instead? Or, he's not that bad but he's keeping this guy who's showing me more off the field. That was Boykin's problem. I mean, when he was brought here, it was all there for him. He was not impressive. And Blake? I mean, he drives fans crazy. I know that. Sometimes me too. But he's a tough guy. He's physical. He makes plays. "Ahhh, but he gives up a cushion." And then he returns one 70 yards against San Diego in a game you had to win, and he gives it to you. Picks off one in the end zone against the Bengals. And there's Cockrell. Boykin? He didn't stand out and these other guys, while they're playing every now and then they're doing this kind of stuff and that's good enough. They're just not going to replace a guy on the hope -- on the hope -- on the hope that this other guy's better. And what's really hurting him, I think, is Gay's so good as an inside slot guy, because that's who he's really competing with. He's not physical enough to play outside cornerback on this team. He's just not. Maybe that made it an iffy trade at the time, I don't know. I liked the trade when it was made. I'll be honest. Everyone now who was saying it was a bad trade, I didn't hear that back in August so I don't want to hear it now. But that's why he's not playing. And if Boykin was a bad move, you've got to give them credit for the Cockrell move, right? Boykin was early in August. We weren't at camp very long yet. I just think they were trying whatever they could try, throw as many bodies at it as you can and let them figure it out. It's OK. I think you can win with this defense, with this secondary, and, really, that's all that it's about.

Q: Do you ever wonder how they got Cockrell? How Doug Whaley let him go in the first round of cuts?

AM: I have no idea. I don't know enough about Buffalo's team. Who knows, maybe Rex doesn't like the kind of player that he is. I do know this though: There was an awareness, if I can use that word, an awareness (that) whenever there's a coaching change you watch that team's waiver wire because what this guy likes, that guy doesn't. Sometimes you can get some deals, some bargains, that way. But I don't know enough about Buffalo to give you a decent answer on that.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1616126-answer-man

86WARD
11-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Wexell makes some good points on he Boykin situation. Some of the better points out there IMO. I personally would've liked to see more of Boykin on he field in game situations but if the coaching staff thinks he's worse than Blake...then he must be...right?

SteelerFanInStl
11-25-2015, 04:58 PM
Personally I think it's still a bunch of b.s. but let me ask this question, if Boykin isn't physical enough to play on the outside in our defense, then why in the Hell did we just draft Golson in the 2nd round? It sounds to me like he's destined to be a backup also as long as Gay is on the team. Are they simply planning on letting Gay leave and hope that Golson can step in?

hawaiiansteeler
11-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Personally I think it's still a bunch of b.s. but let me ask this question, if Boykin isn't physical enough to play on the outside in our defense, then why in the Hell did we just draft Golson in the 2nd round? It sounds to me like he's destined to be a backup also as long as Gay is on the team. Are they simply planning on letting Gay leave and hope that Golson can step in?

my guess is that Golson was drafted to be Gay's eventual replacement as the slot corner...

steelreserve
11-25-2015, 06:47 PM

my guess is that Golson was drafted to be Gay's eventual replacement as the slot corner...

Doesn't that still leave us with no starting corners, then?

It doesn't really help us if we have 3 good slot corners and a Washington/Scott/Flowers situation going on for the rest of it.

SteelerFanInStl
11-25-2015, 06:50 PM

It doesn't really help us if we have 3 good slot corners and a Washington/Scott/Flowers situation going on for the rest of it.

yep

hawaiiansteeler
11-25-2015, 07:21 PM

you mean like when we had Anthony Madison covering Jordy Nelson in the Super Bowl? :frusty:

MrPgh
11-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Good thing Tomlin and Colbert are on the same page! Thank god the coach gets such good use out of the player his GM used a draft pick to get rather than letting some jabroni keep playing!

hawaiiansteeler
11-29-2015, 11:13 PM
Good thing Tomlin and Colbert are on the same page! Thank god the coach gets such good use out of the player his GM used a draft pick to get rather than letting some jabroni keep playing!

if Blake isn't the worst rated CB by PFF after this game I would hate to see who is worse...

SteelMayhem72
11-29-2015, 11:38 PM
To Boykin: We would love to see you play!!!

Drazo85
11-30-2015, 01:57 AM
QFT

86WARD
11-30-2015, 05:37 AM

They're okay.

Drazo85
11-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Heck, I think, with torn knee, and 300+ pounds, I wouldn't play worse that Blake. OK maybe a little worse. :-)

86WARD
11-30-2015, 06:47 AM
Heck, I think, with torn knee, and 300+ pounds, I wouldn't play worse that Blake. OK maybe a little worse. :-)

I think if take Blake but you'd get more playing time than Boykin.

Drazo85
11-30-2015, 08:02 AM
I think if take Blake but you'd get more playing time than Boykin.
Please, I would be offended if Boykin was ahead of me on depth chart. Can you imagine that guy on the field. He was just horrendous last season with eagles. What he was? Best slot corner in a league? I can do that with my eyes closed.

tube517
11-30-2015, 09:02 AM
In respect to comparisons to 2009 and the bleeding secondary, I don't see Tomlin making any changes. I remember him saying he would (in 2009) but that was putting in Joe Burnett for a few series in one game. Nothing major was done.

I have no expectations for any changes. Not that we shouldn't but I don't see it happening.

Steeldude
11-30-2015, 09:10 AM
No reason to improve. As Lake said, they are doing "ok". To me that means there is no reason to draft a DB in 2016. After all, they are doing "ok".

Steelman
11-30-2015, 11:07 AM
In respect to comparisons to 2009 and the bleeding secondary, I don't see Tomlin making any changes. I remember him saying he would (in 2009) but that was putting in Joe Burnett for a few series in one game. Nothing major was done.

I have no expectations for any changes. Not that we shouldn't but I don't see it happening.

I think you're right.

What's crazy to me is that Tomlin was the defensive backs coach in Minnesota. And somehow between he and Carnell Lake, they legitimately think our current actually secondary is decent?

For all we know Boykin truly does suck, doesn't grasp our system or is generally stupid, but the fact that he hasn't been given a chance is odd.

I also don't understand their reluctance to sit Allen, who is clearly as much of a liability as Blake in coverage. The defense as a whole seemed to click better when Golden was in. Is that just not apparent on tape?

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 12:38 PM
No reason to improve. As Lake said, they are doing "ok". To me that means there is no reason to draft a DB in 2016. After all, they are doing "ok".

yeah, there's no need to see what Boykin can do...

DBs were 4 of the 5 worst ranked Steelers defenders by PFF against Seattle:

Antwon Blake -5.3
Stephon Tuitt -4.8
Ross Cockrell -3.5
Mike Mitchell -3.0
Will Allen -2.6

86WARD
11-30-2015, 02:44 PM
yeah, there's no need to see what Boykin can do...

DBs were 4 of the 5 worst ranked Steelers defenders by PFF against Seattle:

Antwon Blake -5.3
Stephon Tuitt -4.8
Ross Cockrell -3.5
Mike Mitchell -3.0
Will Allen -2.6

Shocking.

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Boykin career PFF grades

2012 4.0
2013 13.0
2014 7.5

Fewest snaps he saw in any one year was 524

Blake

2012 -0.5 (only 4 snaps in Jacksonville)
2013 -0.9 (5 snaps)
2014 1.5 (275 snaps)
2015 -23.9 (too many)

fansince'76
11-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Maybe Blake should start clutching and grabbing like Sherman seems to be allowed to do...

Edman
11-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Brandon Boykin will take us to a championship, it seems. But there's some kind of sabotage going on or something.

katmandu
11-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Maybe Blake should start clutching and grabbing like Sherman seems to be allowed to do...Be careful about criticizing the Defense's Tom Brady! God-ell will hunt you down and wack your pee pee !

fansince'76
11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Be careful about criticizing the Defense's Tom Brady! God-ell will hunt you down and wack your pee pee !

Well, you gotta admit, knocking Brown down 15+ yards past the LOS and then picking off the pass intended for him is a damn effective maneuver!

Only problem is that it draws a flag if anyone else does it...

st33lersguy
11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I'd love for Boykin to be playing instead of the walking burnt toast that is Antwon Blake

katmandu
11-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Well, you gotta admit, knocking Brown down 15+ yards past the LOS and then picking off the pass intended for him is a damn effective maneuver!

Only problem is that it draws a flag if anyone else does it...It really amazed the shit out of me how Sherman was allowed to ride on AB's back all night long!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/39/7d/3b/397d3b253ab970491ab92145cd459574.jpg

fansince'76
11-30-2015, 06:04 PM
It really amazed the shit out of me how Sherman was allowed to ride on AB's back all night long!

Not only that, but also gets lauded by Simms and Nantz for his "physical play." :rolleyes:

Simms: "Why don't more teams do this against Brown?"

Uh, because it's ILLEGAL, fuckwit.

86WARD
11-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Maybe Blake should start clutching and grabbing like Sherman seems to be allowed to do...

He can't. His finger is ouchie.

hawaiiansteeler
11-30-2015, 10:10 PM
The Steelers Should Start Brandon Boykin

by Lee Andrew Henderson | November 30, 2015

The Steelers spent a draft pick to acquire Brandon Boykin from the Philadelphia Eagles at the beginning of the season. Draft picks are very valuable to the Steelers. Every season the salary cap is pretty tight and the Steelers could really use cheap draft picks if they are good enough to get on the field. So far that draft pick has been a waste because Boykin rarely plays. If you visit any Steelers forum most of the educated fans understand that Boykin is best at covering the slot, a spot that is currently designated for William Gay. Boykin is not good at covering receivers on the outside, meaning that the Steelers acquired Boykin to simply be Gay's back up against slot receivers. The problem with this argument is that the cornerback currently starting can't cover receivers on the outside either. When I did a search for a photo of Antwon Blake, hilariously the first photo that popped up was Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse scoring on him.

https://blog-blogmediainc.netdna-ssl.com/upload/SportsBlogcom/118331/0446742001448895739_upload/SportsBlogcom/118331/0077836001448895736_usatodaysportsimages.jpg.jpg

I'm not the only one that is confused by Boykin not playing. Defensive Coordinator Carnell Lake was asked a week ago why Boykin isn't playing and his response was that in order for Boykin to get more playing time, "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now." At the time the Steelers were 28th in pass defense. After Russell Wilson shredded the Steelers defense for 345 yards and 5 touchdowns the Steelers now rank 30th in pass defense. Just how bad do they have to fall before Lake admits that some people are playing badly right now?

Like I said before, Boykin is not known for being a great cornerback outside of covering the slot, but why not give him a chance? It's not going to be any worse than what Blake has done this season. Maybe Boykin will surprise you. He's only 25 years old. How many players peak at 25? Maybe he'll become a better cornerback with playing time. Maybe he'll simply step up with a playoff spot on the line. It's really pretty simple if you think about it. When somebody is playing poorly you bench him and bring in the next guy...

to read rest of article:

http://thepiratesbay.sportsblog.com/posts/8146486/the-steelers-should-start-brandon-boykin.html

86WARD
12-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Blasphemy!

Hawkman
12-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Man aren't a lot of people here going to feel stupid if Boykin gets his big chance on outside.. and he doesn't prove to be the "Second Coming".

(I hope I'm Wrong")

Count Steeler
12-02-2015, 05:10 AM
Man aren't a lot of people here going to feel stupid if Boykin gets his big chance on outside.. and he doesn't prove to be the "Second Coming".

(I hope I'm Wrong")

At least we know what we have then, a snow ball's chance in hell of making the playoffs.

86WARD
12-02-2015, 06:10 AM
At least we know what we have then

This.

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 12:58 PM

I'm not going to feel stupid whatsoever.

what's stupid is to do the same thing over and over again and to expect a different result...

steelreserve
12-02-2015, 01:07 PM

No, we'd feel stupid if Boykin somehow plays worse than Blake. It's going to be pretty difficult to fall short of that, because the bar is not exactly set very high. Just don't get burned for 200 yards on one side or give up a touchdown every three plays, and we're coming out ahead.

TeeTee
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Not only that, but also gets lauded by Simms and Nantz for his "physical play." :rolleyes:

Simms: "Why don't more teams do this against Brown?"

Uh, because it's ILLEGAL, fuckwit.

Reffing sucks balls this season, worst ever. But, it's life; no one ever said it's fair (except liberals think it should be). Once you attain a certain level of rep, you get away with shit; Sherman has. You have to exist with the conditions and make adjustments. Being that the refs were letting Sherman get away with mugging, simply don't throw to him. I felt like every time they did they were wasting a down. It was if they were out to PROVE they weren't afraid of throwing his way. I got a better idea: Why not game plan to win, not game plan to prove anything? It was another case of our coaches being dim witted.

- - - Updated - - -

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/190185/brandon-boykin-finally-getting-a-look-in-steelers-secondary?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

11 games latter, dumbass considers a change. Way to go, Tomlin. Way to put ego ahead of winning.

Psycho Ward 86
12-02-2015, 01:31 PM

(I hope I'm Wrong")

You sound awfully confident defending possibly the worst starting CB in the league

st33lersguy
12-02-2015, 01:34 PM

(I hope I'm Wrong")

Not as stupid as sticking with Antwon Baked when he has been playing terribly and not giving Boykin a chance

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 02:12 PM
You sound awfully confident defending possibly the worst starting CB in the league

Pro Football Focus currently ranks Antwon Blake as the 2nd worst starting CB in the NFL behind only Brandon Browner, who has somehow managed to be even worse...

Mojouw
12-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Pro Football Focus currently ranks Antwon Blake as the 2nd worst starting CB in the NFL behind only Brandon Browner, who has somehow managed to be even worse...

That is the funniest thing I have heard all week. Man, we are bashing the Steelers for continuing to run Blake out there - but can you imagine being the Saints? And paying all the money in the world for Browner to be worse than a low paid waiver wire guy? That is hilarious! Combined with what they are paying Byrd and Lewis - man oh man! There is always a worse situation!

Hawkman
12-02-2015, 04:45 PM
There wasn't a word in there about Blake.

SteelerFanInStl
12-02-2015, 05:11 PM

(I hope I'm Wrong")

What makes you think that anyone thinks that Boykin is the "Second Coming"? Certainly no one on this forum has said so.

Shouldn't the people that have supported Tomlin's decision to keep putting the same players out there game after game despite the poor results be the ones that feel stupid? If what you're doing isn't working and you have another option available, especially one that you gave up a draft pick to get, shouldn't you at least make some kind of a change? That's what people are asking for.

Continuing to do the same thing despite the poor results is what I call stupid and stubborn. Sometimes referred to as "muleheadedness".

Psycho Ward 86
12-02-2015, 06:04 PM
There wasn't a word in there about Blake.

you didnt have to. the only way to feel stupid about a hypothetical situation in which Boykin takes over for Blake is if he plays even worse. Not going to happen

hawaiiansteeler
12-02-2015, 10:00 PM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

CB Brandon Boykin confirmed that he "rotated in" with the ones at practice today. #Steelers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimwexell

Devilsdancefloor
12-02-2015, 10:10 PM
changes should happen boykin needs to see the field period

Steelman
12-02-2015, 10:26 PM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

CB Brandon Boykin confirmed that he "rotated in" with the ones at practice today. #Steelers.

We can all do our happy dance now. :lol:

Though I'll believe it when I see it. Tomlin seems to genuinely think that Blake is a legitimate corner.

86WARD
12-03-2015, 02:33 AM
James C Wexell@jimwexell

Is that different from other weeks? If so, I'd like to know what they have him do at practice if he's not rotating in. It would seem like he wouldn't be prepared if Tomlin's "next man up" system had to be put in place...and that would be on the coaching staff again not putting their players in a position to be successful.

hawaiiansteeler
12-04-2015, 05:19 PM
Boykin gets opportunity to help Steelers' secondary vs Colts

By JOHN PERROTTO (Associated Press)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aHMm3DGTqm5FvchiypjI4A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9MzQxO3B5b2ZmPT A7cT03NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201512041038383085394

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Brandon Boykin has patiently waited for the chance to show the Pittsburgh Steelers what he can do. That opportunity figures to come for the cornerback Sunday night when the Steelers host the Indianapolis Colts in a matchup of 6-5 teams.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he'd likely make changes in the secondary and it appears Boykin will replace Antwan Blake in the starting lineup.

The Steelers acquired Boykin on Aug. 1 from the Philadelphia Eagles in a training-camp trade for a conditional fifth-round draft pick. However, the fourth-year veteran has been on the field for just 23 defensive plays through the first 11 games.

Boykin was the Eagles' primary nickel cornerback and had six interceptions in 2013.

''When you're in the situation I've been in, it's tough because you have to prepare every single week because you could be in at any time,'' Boykin said. ''But, I have to attack it the same way. I've never lost any confidence in myself this the entire season, so once I get out there, it will be exciting for me.''

That Boykin has played so little is a bit of surprise considering the Steelers have had problems defending the pass. However, defensive coordinator Keith Butler is not second-guessing the decision to keep Boykin on the bench.

''Because we really played decent football,'' Butler said of why changes weren't made sooner. ''You say, 'Well, you've given up all these yards and all this stuff,' but that's a combination of a lot of things.''

The tipping point came last week in a 39-30 loss at the Seattle Seahawks. Russell Wilson completed 21 of 30 passes for 345 yards and five touchdowns and consistently converted third-and-long situations.

That came on the heels of the Cleveland Browns' Johnny Manziel throwing for a career-high 372 yards in a game the Steelers won 30-9.

So Tomlin wants to see if Boykin can help solve the problem.

''He's got a good above-the-neck-game,'' Tomlin said. ''He's a detail guy. He was a highly productive guy when he came out of college. He has been a highly productive guy when given the opportunity in the NFL.''

Blake has been playing with a broken thumb and struggled in recent weeks. He had a particular rough game at Seattle.

''I am not used to missing a lot of tackles, and I have been missing tackles,'' Blake said. ''It is frustrating being known as one of the most physical corners to going out there and missing tackles.''

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boykin-gets-opportunity-help-steelers-secondary-vs-colts-205538825--nfl.html

SteelerFanInStl
12-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Tomlin talking about Boykin

''He's got a good above-the-neck-game,'' Tomlin said. ''He's a detail guy. He was a highly productive guy when he came out of college. He has been a highly productive guy when given the opportunity in the NFL.''

I can't believe that he even said that since Boykin hasn't been given the opportunity to play in Pittsburgh.

86WARD
12-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Tomlin talking about Boykin

I can't believe that he even said that since Boykin hasn't been given the opportunity to play in Pittsburgh.

EXACTLY!!

hawaiiansteeler
12-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Boykin played 70% of the snaps last night, all of them in the slot:

Boykin 42/60
Blake 32/60
Cockrell 45/60
Gay 48/60

ALLD
12-07-2015, 07:56 PM
He only caught one interception I can see why Tomlin kept him on the bench. I also noticed Tomlin walking around the sideline after AB ran back that punt like he was the second coming of Bill Walsh.

j-d-s
12-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Just imagine that, he did not even force a fumble!

86WARD
12-08-2015, 05:43 PM
He only caught one interception I can see why Tomlin kept him on the bench. I also noticed Tomlin walking around the sideline after AB ran back that punt like he was the second coming of Bill Walsh.

Lol. Puffing his chest out?

ALLD
12-08-2015, 06:31 PM
Like he scored the TD himself.

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 07:53 PM
If Gay is out with his concussion, we really need to let Boykin try manning the outside. There's literally nothing he can do to play worse than Blake out there

hawaiiansteeler
12-08-2015, 08:05 PM
If Gay is out with his concussion, we really need to let Boykin try manning the outside. There's literally nothing he can do to play worse than Blake out there

who would then play the slot?

Psycho Ward 86
12-08-2015, 08:29 PM
who would then play the slot?

Antwon Blake unfortunately. He's played slot for us before, he's better there anyways regardless of what the coaches say and what he says (I recall him saying he's more of an outside corner. Yeah right). That seems to be the best way to mitigate pass coverage deficiencies imo. Ill pass on seeing Antwon Blake anywhere near AJ Green.

86WARD
12-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Like he scored the TD himself.

Lol.

tube517
12-11-2015, 12:39 PM
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9605551-85/boykin-lake-defensive#axzz3u2SOa9qO

Lake said Thursday, as the Steelers prepared for Sunday's key AFC North game against the Cincinnati Bengals, that he was the one who thought it was “about time” to give Boykin more playing time.
Or, in this case, any playing time at all.

Hawkman
12-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Looks like a full practice today for everyone , so I expect the same rotation as last Sunday, with maybe a little less Blake.

SteelerFanInStl
12-12-2015, 08:12 AM
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9605551-85/boykin-lake-defensive#axzz3u2SOa9qO

It was "about time" at least 6 weeks ago.

86WARD
12-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Just a side note: Someone should tell Mark Kaboly not to wear a "puffy vest." Not only does he look larger everytime I see him, but with that "puffy vest" on, he's eclipsing the size of Andy Reid.

hawaiiansteeler
12-15-2015, 12:07 AM
by Jim Wexell

* Back to Blake's tackling, or lack thereof. He missed a tackle on a sweep one play before he was beaten deep for a touchdown. Why this guy refuses to wrap up, after being publically embarrassed the last couple of weeks, is beyond me. He's out there because he's a tough guy. Tackle already.

* Last week, the Steelers waited until the third series to begin using Brandon Boykin and Ross Cockrell in place of Blake (and the nose tackle) in the nickel. From then on, Blake only played cornerback with the base, or on downs with offensive run personnel on the field. It seemed to work. But this week the Steelers used Blake on the first three series in the nickel, and he eventually got beat deep by A.J. Green. The Boykin-Cockrell combo wasn't used until the fourth series, with 2:23 left in the half.

* Is it about being unpredictable? Are the Steelers that worried about teams running at Boykin and Cockrell?

* Boykin at one point came up hard to make a solid tackle of Marvin Jones. It wasn't a running back, but Boykin sure didn't look soft.

* It looks like the Steelers are one cornerback shy of a full load. There's always going to be a last position in any unit overhaul, so I refuse to blast Kevin Colbert about not addressing the position in the draft. It's becoming obvious that he's done a pretty good job drafting another guy at another position, whomever that guy or position may be.

* Now, if he doesn't address the position in the next draft -- beyond another slot cornerback -- then I'll be the guy screaming on Twitter.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1622834-just-my-opinion

hawaiiansteeler
12-15-2015, 11:00 PM
• The much-discussed integration of Brandon Boykin into the cornerback corps continued Sunday. Boykin joined the regular nickel defense early on. With the Bengals facing a deficit throughout the game, he played the vast majority of the defensive snaps thereafter, far outpacing Antwon Blake.

Snap counts for CBs on Sunday

• William Gay, 48 of 58

• Ross Cockrell, 46 of 58

• Brandon Boykin, 39 of 58

• Antwon Blake, 31 of 58

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/9628213-74/roethlisberger-steelers-pass#ixzz3uPDQlxb2

teegre
12-16-2015, 12:27 AM
* It looks like the Steelers are one cornerback shy of a full load. There's always going to be a last position in any unit overhaul, so I refuse to blast Kevin Colbert about not addressing the position in the draft. It's becoming obvious that he's done a pretty good job drafting another guy at another position, whomever that guy or position may be.

Re-sign Gay (and/or Boykin) for the slot.

Golson at the #2 CB spot.

R1: Su'a Cravens (or, Jayron Kearse) SS( FS), USC (Clemson)
R2: Desmond King, CB, Iowa
R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee

SS: Cravens (or, Mitchell), Golden
FS: Mitchell (or, Kearse), Grant
CB: King
CB: Golson
NB: Gay (or, Boykin)
DB: Cockrell
DB: Sutton

86WARD
12-16-2015, 05:04 AM
You can't depend on Golson or Grant. They are non factors and for arguments sake, rookies at best. A decent free agent needs to be signed to give some sort of stability to the CB 1 spot.

tube517
12-16-2015, 07:41 AM
I thought Golson was supposed to be the slot corner eventually?

teegre
12-16-2015, 10:02 AM
You can't depend on Golson or Grant. They are non factors and for arguments sake, rookies at best. A decent free agent needs to be signed to give some sort of stability to the CB 1 spot.

Think about it this way: Golson > Blake

Voila! the secondary is already better in 2016. :wink02:

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Golson was supposed to be the slot corner eventually?

Hmmm... using a R2 pick on a 3rd/nickel/slot CB seems expensive. I'd hope that he'd be at least the #2 CB.

Mojouw
12-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Yeah. There is no help coming from that route.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

That list is basically garbage and garbage light.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2015, 11:55 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... using a R2 pick on a 3rd/nickel/slot CB seems expensive. I'd hope that he'd be at least the #2 CB.
Which is why I still don't understand the Golson pick. He's smaller than Boykin and i just don't see him as ever being able to play anything but the slot.

tube517
12-16-2015, 11:58 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's what they were thinking at least for his first year? :noidea:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/06/04/steelers-senquez-golson-2015-nfl-draft-position/

86WARD
12-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Yeah. There is no help coming from that route.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

That list is basically garbage and garbage light.

Yeah I posted that list somewhere else. No one thought Brice McCain would help last season and he did. I'd rather sign a veteran that is somewhat productive and consistent than what is going on there now...

teegre
12-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Which is why I still don't understand the Golson pick. He's smaller than Boykin and i just don't see him as ever being able to play anything but the slot.

This is the debate I had (over at SF) about CB height. I've always avered that I'd rather have a shorter CB who can stick with a receivers, than a taller CB who can't cover. In other words, I'd rather give up a few inches in height, as opposed to a few yards in coverage.

teegre
12-16-2015, 01:56 PM
I think that's what they were thinking at least for his first year? :noidea:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/06/04/steelers-senquez-golson-2015-nfl-draft-position/

Interesting.

A few thoughts...

1. It sounds like he's being groomed to replace Gay: outside on normal downs, and moving inside on obvious passing downs.

2. Let's assume he was indeed only going to play in the slot... Was that for 2015 only?... or, a permanent thing?

3. Antwan Blake. It sounds like that was assuming that Blake could handle the outside. I think things have changed.

Mojouw
12-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah I posted that list somewhere else. No one thought Brice McCain would help last season and he did. I'd rather sign a veteran that is somewhat productive and consistent than what is going on there now...

McCain and Blake are the same guy. Guys that you sign off the scrap heap for next to nothing. Look serviceable to useful in limited exposure. Then when you stick them in the line-up and they get asked to play 75 %+ of the defensive snaps, you can see why they were on the scrap heap to begin with.

That list is full of guys like that. Sure, anyone is better than Blake at this point, but not for big Brandon Browner FA dollars.

fansince'76
12-16-2015, 03:55 PM
McCain and Blake are the same guy. Guys that you sign off the scrap heap for next to nothing. Look serviceable to useful in limited exposure. Then when you stick them in the line-up and they get asked to play 75 %+ of the defensive snaps, you can see why they were on the scrap heap to begin with.

That list is full of guys like that. Sure, anyone is better than Blake at this point, but not for big Brandon Browner FA dollars.

http://www.cheatcc.com/imagesfeatures/theweeklydisheasscapegoat_2.jpg

Mojouw
12-16-2015, 05:02 PM
http://www.cheatcc.com/imagesfeatures/theweeklydisheasscapegoat_2.jpg

My preferred scapegoat is Cortez Allen. If he had continued to play like he flashed early in his career, this team wouldn't have these problems. Clearly it is all his fault. And Tomlin for hitting his knee with a bat.

SteelerFanInStl
12-16-2015, 05:35 PM
This is the debate I had (over at SF) about CB height. I've always avered that I'd rather have a shorter CB who can stick with a receivers, than a taller CB who can't cover. In other words, I'd rather give up a few inches in height, as opposed to a few yards in coverage.

I agree with your point but I'm not just talking about height. Golson is small period. He's 5'9" 176 lbs. Boykin is 5'10" 182 lbs so not much different.

Blake is only 5'9" also but he's 198 lbs. Too bad he can't cover anyone though.

Psycho Ward 86
12-17-2015, 02:34 AM
I agree with your point but I'm not just talking about height. Golson is small period. He's 5'9" 176 lbs. Boykin is 5'10" 182 lbs so not much different.

Blake is only 5'9" also but he's 198 lbs. Too bad he can't cover anyone though.

steelers are REALLY riding on Senquez becoming another Jason Verrett or Antoine Winfield type. 5'9'' corners at his weight are pretty much unheard of in today's NFL. Boy do I hope he's able to do it. Also I'm almost certain that Senquez himself said on some social media platform or in an interview he has since gained some weight since being drafted? He's in the mid 180's now I believe?

86WARD
12-17-2015, 04:09 AM

But McCain played decent. Better than Blake.

Josh Norman is on that list and he's been playing pretty well this year from what I've read. There's guys on the list that are what they are, they aren't going to find a Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders type in free agency and probably won't through the draft...but they could sign a decent guy off that list to help stabilize he sieve that is the defensive backfield.

I'd like to see what PFF ranks the players on that list...out of curiosity.

teegre
12-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Josh Norman is on that list and he's been playing pretty well this year from what I've read.

Norman is arguably the second best CB in the entire NFL. The Panthers will lock him up or franchise tag him. If somehow he were to hit the open market, he'd get $15 million per season.

So, yes, I guess that I'd take him. :wink02:

Mojouw
12-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Sure. Josh Norman is on the list. And he will NEVER see the light of the free agent market. Zero chance that he is leaving Carolina. They will sign him for the requisite dump-truck full of money.

As to McCain playing "decent" when was that? Last season? Sure he looked decent and so did Blake and both had limited playing time. McCain looked decent as the nickel corner for the Dolphins. How would he have looked starting outside against team's best WR? We will never know.

Are there some guys on the list that could definitely help stabilize the situation? Sure - Sean Smith's name jumps off the page. But what would you have to spend to sign him? Likely 6-10 million per. The rest of that list is some version of Blake, Cockerell, McCain, etc. The Steelers secondary doesn't need another dose of "meh". It needs a playmaker. Without one, keep looking for the same level of performance.

86WARD
12-18-2015, 11:37 PM
If rather sign a "meh" guy for $6M than go into next season with 3 "yuk" guys.

Blake did play decent last year and if he had progressed, we'd all be relatively happy. However, he's digressed to the point of being one of the worst rated CBs in the league. Something major will need to be done.

Mojouw
12-19-2015, 11:25 AM
My point is that Blake or some version of him is what you get when you sign #3 and #4 corners in free agency. That is almost every player on that list.

To get someone better teams are going to have to spend a grat deal of money. Who on that list is worth big free agent money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86WARD
12-19-2015, 02:35 PM
I understand that point and what you were getting at, but Blake is probably the worst out of that group and anything would be better than him but you could get much better for $6M a year...like I said, I'd rather have "meh" than "yuk." All those guys can't be rated as low as Blake...

Mojouw
12-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Sure. For 6 million or so per year, you can get better than Blake. But who on that list is worth that much coin? In addition, where would that much money come from after existing players are resigned and extended?

Their best hope is to "hit" and hit big on a draft pick - like a Marcus Peters for the Chiefs this year.

A secondary of 2016 version of Marcus Peters rookie year, a resigned William Gay, a resigned Cockerell, a healty Golson, another CB free agent lottery ticket (from the list we were talking about), Mike Mitchell, some mediocre vet FA signing at safety, Golden, Grant, and a draft pick at safety can start to sound like a passable NFL secondary.

But turn that projected list in to big dollars spent on the Morris Claibornes and Josh Robinsons of the world and we are back to "Meh" and "vastly underperforming".

The absolutely have to pick up a rookie impact starter for the secondary in the draft or there will be very little meaningful improvement in the secondary in 2016. The talent simply isn't on the roster and picking through the dustbin isn't going to get it done.

THe dumbest thing this team did this off-season is NOT signing Delvin Breaux. Guy came in and quickly passed up everyone as the best player in the Saints secondary. Despite their horrid stats, there is some talent on that team (Vaccaro, Byrd, the long pined for Keenan Lewis). Could have been signed for basically nothing and instantly would have been the best CB on the roster.

86WARD
12-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Sure. For 6 million or so per year, you can get better than Blake. But who on that list is worth that much coin?

A secondary of 2016 version of Marcus Peters rookie year, a resigned William Gay, a resigned Cockerell, a healty Golson, another CB free agent lottery ticket (from the list we were talking about), Mike Mitchell, some mediocre vet FA signing at safety, Golden, Grant, and a draft pick at safety can start to sound like a passable NFL secondary.

I'm going based off the numbers you threw out there...Sean Smith for example.

All the bold...All pot-luck and could put this defense in a similar or possibly worse situation than they are now. Of course, they could all hit and everything be wonderful, but with the Steelers draft history and assessment of talent at those positions, whats the likelihood of that? I'd be elated if that were to happen...nothing would make me happier...but I'm not betting my lunch money that anything close to that occurs.

Mojouw
12-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm going based off the numbers you threw out there...Sean Smith for example.

All the bold...All pot-luck and could put this defense in a similar or possibly worse situation than they are now. Of course, they could all hit and everything be wonderful, but with the Steelers draft history and assessment of talent at those positions, whats the likelihood of that? I'd be elated if that were to happen...nothing would make me happier...but I'm not betting my lunch money that anything close to that occurs.

I just don't think they have 6-10 million per year to pay the 2-3 guys on that list that are worth that kind of money. Then you get forced into a situation where the top 2-3 guys are off the market and suddenly Antwon Blake 2.0 is costing you 5-8 million per year because NFL teams are stupid about money.

I would rather they get someone in the draft, off a practice squad, or something that is more cost effective. Either way, I do not realistically think that the secondary is really going to be measurably better next season.

86WARD
12-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Either way, I do not realistically think that the secondary is really going to be measurably better next season.

I tend to side with this more thn thinking they will be dramatically different.

Count Steeler
12-20-2015, 07:10 PM
I tend to side with this more thn thinking they will be dramatically different.

Well, something sure happened in the 2nd half against Denver. Whatever happened, I want more.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Blake's ass needs to be on the bench. Period!

86WARD
12-20-2015, 07:53 PM
Blake's ass needs to be on the bench. Period!

I prefer he go far away from this team...as far away as possible.

SteelerFanInStl
12-20-2015, 07:58 PM

If they re-sign him this offseason, I'm gonna be pissed. Tomlin needs to let his man crush go.

hawaiiansteeler
12-20-2015, 07:59 PM

my suggestion:

http://siberiamissionary.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Siberia.jpg

Craic
12-20-2015, 08:02 PM
If rather sign a "meh" guy for $6M than go into next season with 3 "yuk" guys.

Blake did play decent last year and if he had progressed, we'd all be relatively happy. However, he's digressed to the point of being one of the worst rated CBs in the league. Something major will need to be done.

I'm pretty sure he'll be in camp next year. Steelers will give him a chance to see if he improves, but the real question for me is whether he makes it out of camp or not.

Shoes
12-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Blake has had a chance since game 1. Tomlin continues to play him, then benches him, then puts him back out there. There is surely something very wrong here.

Psycho Ward 86
12-20-2015, 08:25 PM
i had a crappy online feed to watch from. i didnt seem to see Blake out there much in the 2nd half though? Or is it just me?

steelerdude15
12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Brandon did have a nice pass breakup tonight. He read the play and went to the receiver that wasn't even his and broke up the pass.

tube517
12-20-2015, 09:37 PM
i had a crappy online feed to watch from. i didnt seem to see Blake out there much in the 2nd half though? Or is it just me?

Your feed was good enough It was glorious not seeing him out there much in the 2nd half