PDA

View Full Version : Made for TV

LLT
09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Friday night football in the Heartland. It's a tradition.

Its a time for the high school band kids to play and dance to selected tunes meant to stir up the crowd. Its a time for Moms and girlfriends to wear the players "other" jersey. It's more than just a sporting event. Its a social gathering, a meeting place for locals from all across the country to meet and to cheer on their young men.

The amount of emotion that is spent on these events is incredible, and none more so than when the high school team plays their rival.

Last night was one of those nights. The rival was ranked as the 2nd best team in the state. The local school wasnt supposed to be able to stay with them. They were bigger and they were faster. It was dissapointing but not surprising to see the favorites pull out to a 13-0 lead very early in the game.

The local team wasnt about to roll over. They were playing in front of the home crowd, and if they couldnt win, well at least they would hang in till the end and walk off the field with their heads held high.

To everyones surprise they overcame deficits of 13-0 and 19-7. In the course of playing for pride, they began to wonder if they might actually be able to beat Goliath. late in the game the score was 31-22 and the local team began to see something in the eyes of the giant that gave them hope. They saw doubt. They were able to score again. Now they trailed 31-29.

They held the favorites but a 59-yard punt pinned the underdogs inside their 1. A 15 play drive and two penalties suddenly put the locals within field goal range with less than a minute to play.

They tried to pass...incomplete. They tried a sweep around the left side...a gain of 1 yard. They ran up the middle...stopped at the line of scrimmage.

The field goal team ran on. It was going to be a try of 44 yards. Hard for a college or pro player with the existing wind conditions. Rare for a high school junior.

The ball was snapped...the kicker connected solidly....and watched as the ball turned end over end. A low trajectory foretold the expected outcome. The ball hit the goal post with 2.5 seconds left on the clock.............and bounced through for 3 points.

This was the game that I watched last night.

I love me some Steelers football, but there is something to be said for watching the joy on the face of a 17 year old boy as he is placed in the position to live a dream....to be the hero...to kick the game winning field goal against a rival.

Very cool.

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM
:clap2:

One of the things I really enjoyed about the night practice in Latrobe was the smell........the smell of the field and mud. It took me back to my days in a blue and white cheerleader uniform and my team was the Mighty Mercer Mustangs!!

LLT
09-04-2010, 11:11 AM
:clap2:

One of the things I really enjoyed about the night practice in Latrobe was the smell........the smell of the field and mud. It took me back to my days in a blue and white cheerleader uniform and my team was the Mighty Mercer Mustangs!!

My wife was telling me the same thing. She asked if sitting in the stands brought back memories of high school. I was confused for second because it really didnt. Then I realized that all my memories were from the perspective of the player. I never lived the life of the student observer. I missed out on the social aspect of the games...meeting friends...celebrating in the stands. I wouldnt give up the memories I do have...but I am enjoying my first go around from the bleachers.

By the way...we were the Fighting Foxes!!!!!!

stillers4me
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
I realy enjoyed watching the Latrobe high school football players as they were watching the Steelers practice. I can only imagine the things they were dreaming about, imagining themselves in those gold and white practice jerseys.

LLT
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I realy enjoyed watching the Latrobe high school football players as they were watching the Steelers practice. I can only imagine the things they were dreaming about, imagining themselves in those gold and white practice jerseys.

There was a set of twins on the opposing team last night that have already committed to play college ball...One of them is 6'5 290 lbs and the other is 6'5 270 lbs. (They grow 'em big here...all corn-fed)

I fully expect them to fullfill their dream of playing pro ball.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/football/article_10a6b048-9129-11df-aa8b-001cc4c002e0.html

LLT
09-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Here is a video of the last second field goal....remember...this was with 2.5 second left on the clock!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuh7ey3uwY8