PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe - Brady ==> Roethlisberger - Landry Jones?

ETL
10-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Ok ok I know I am being silly here but just humor me. No one knew who Tom Brady was when he first appeared and he basically supplanted a top QB in the league. So this will be like a "How much money would I have to give you for you to sleep with Rosie O'Donnell?"

So what does Landry Jones need to do for you to take a moment (just a moment) to think maybe he should stay as the starter even if Ben is healthy (yes I know - hypocrisy!)

I am thinking 24 completions out of 25 attempts, 400 yards passing, 5 TDs, 1 rushing TD and a punt return for TD - don't ask me how that happens - I'm just saying that is what I need for me to reconsider Ben

fansince'76
10-20-2015, 11:02 PM
He'd need to play better than Ben consistently for a prolonged period of time for me to even consider it. A one-game performance, no matter how good it is, wouldn't cut it. As a 40-year Steelers fan, I've seen more than my share of fool's gold at the QB position.

Besides, I never considered Bledsoe to ever be as good as Ben is now.

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a great analogy.

.....If Ben wasn't a thousand times better than Bledsoe.

And if Landry Jones actually cheated :lol:

teegre
10-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Mo Lewis = Vick's torn hamstring

86WARD
10-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Nope. Ben >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bledsoe.

NCSteeler
10-21-2015, 04:11 AM
You smoke too much dope. He had a good game that is all, he has never shown anything . And this past game we won, but it was not 300 yard 3tds, temper expectations

Bluecoat96
10-21-2015, 04:59 AM
I look at it this way. If Landry plays decent, you can bet that some jackass like Dan Snyder will offer up the farm in a trade for him at the end of the year.

86WARD
10-21-2015, 06:18 AM
I look at it this way. If Landry plays decent, you can bet that some jackass like Dan Snyder will offer up the farm in a trade for him at the end of the year.

All you need is for him yo throw for 350 and 2 TDs once or twice and you got yourself a Rob Johnson situation!!!

tube517
10-21-2015, 07:03 AM
I saw Landry talking to the ball boys and one of them said they were on a diet.

Nadroj 20
10-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Look at Matt Flynn. Seriously if Landry has a great game he could earn himself a lot of money because like someone said above, someone will give him a shot just like the Seahawks gave Matt Flynn a shot, but ultimately went with the better option of Russell Wilson.

Flynn got like a 3 year contract with $10 million guaranteed

GBMelBlount
10-21-2015, 08:02 AM
My guess is that after 3 years of learning our system he is now a legitimate / quality backup.

My hope is that we keep him for another few years and develop him into a legitimate replacement when Ben retires.

What is his current contract situation?

If he does well again it might be smart to extend his contract as I sense they kept him this long because they believe in him.

st33lersguy
10-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Nothing Landry does will make me want to start him over Ben.

Rotorhead
10-21-2015, 10:00 AM
I agree with above, Ben is way better than Bledsoe, but we can hope that Landry can fill in as QB after Ben steps out, and until we find our next franchise QB.

steelreserve
10-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Win the Super Bowl. That's what it would take. Otherwise, if he stays hot, you could make excuses to ride that until you're completely certain Ben is 100%, which would be the bye week at longest.

Long-term, if Jones has one more decent game, he has no future with us. His contract is over after next year, and if we let him become a free agent, someone would offer him $8M or more plus a chance to compete for a starting job. We can do neither of those, and he'd be a fool not to take such an offer. Ben is not going to be anywhere near retiring or declining in skill next year; he's playing better than ever. So basically, if Jones plays well, we either trade him for a second-round draft pick after this year, or have him ride the bench one more year and get nothing. You don't get to keep two good quarterbacks for long.

Basically, the only thing that works in our favor personnel-wise is Jones having a mediocre game, something like 170 yards on 15-of-30 with 1 TD and 1 interception, and we still manage to win. Only then would he both be worth keeping as a backup, and possible to keep as a backup.

I guess you could also imagine some scenario where Jones plays well and Ben wrecks his knee toward the end of 2016, so we keep Jones for one year with the franchise tag or some such maneuver. But that's hella unlikely.

The Bark
10-21-2015, 01:39 PM
To be honest, if Landry starts in KC I won't be expecting much and certainly not a repeat of Sunday's game. I would expect him to throw better than Vick, though, but that's just me: prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Question is, who would be backing him up? I can't see Murphy from the practice squad. If Ben isn't ready to start, I can't see them saying he'd be available as an emergency backup.

steelreserve
10-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Question is, who would be backing him up? I can't see Murphy from the practice squad. If Ben isn't ready to start, I can't see them saying he'd be available as an emergency backup.

They haven't made a roster move, so I assume it will be either Ben or Vick. Probably Ben. He seems to be in that spot where he could play if he had to and be about 70% effective, but we'd rather wait a week if we have the choice. Vick might be able to hobble around for a drive or two and be awful.

Or maybe we just put Bell and Heath back there and do some wildcat shit.

teegre
10-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Look at Matt Flynn. Seriously if Landry has a great game he could earn himself a lot of money because like someone said above, someone will give him a shot just like the Seahawks gave Matt Flynn a shot, but ultimately went with the better option of Russell Wilson.

This.

Jones throws for 315 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT.

then, the Texans trade their R2 pick (35ish) for Jones.

Rotorhead
10-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Hell, I would take a high 3rd rounder for him at this point.

The Bark
10-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Either way, this game has "trap" written all over it. It's exactly the type of game that the Steelers should win, regardless at who is QB, but have blown in recent years by playing down to the competition. Heck, the Ravens only win this year is @ Pittsburgh.

Craic
10-21-2015, 03:06 PM
I think, so far, everyone's actually misread the OP. He basically asked, "What would it take for you to think—even for a second—to entertain after the idea after the next game of keeping Landry on the field and Ben on the bench when Ben's healthy." It's not about expectations, or contracts, or anything else.

So, what would it take for me to allow that thought to dance through my head for just one instant? A five TD performance with a perfect QB rating and over 35 passes thrown, along with a half dozen avoided sacks Ben R. style. That'd get me to think, just for a moment, of letting Landry continue and benching Ben. Then, I'd laugh at myself and say, Nope! And expect Ben to start the following week.

TeeTee
10-21-2015, 03:17 PM
He'd need to play better than Ben consistently for a prolonged period of time for me to even consider it. A one-game performance, no matter how good it is, wouldn't cut it. As a 40-year Steelers fan, I've seen more than my share of fool's gold at the QB position.

Besides, I never considered Bledsoe to ever be as good as Ben is now.

No, Bledsoe never attained play as quality as Ben. He could toss the rock around but he lacked Ben's instincts and grit.

- - - Updated - - -

Either way, this game has "trap" written all over it. It's exactly the type of game that the Steelers should win, regardless at who is QB, but have blown in recent years by playing down to the competition. Heck, the Ravens only win this year is @ Pittsburgh.

It's a Tomlin trademark. He is utterly terrible at getting the team focused for bad teams. He is the worst at it. He is way to quick to get into his cocky mode after a little success, instead of staying focused for every game, like Belichick and Brady do.

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 04:56 PM
He is way to quick to get into his cocky mode after a little success, instead of staying focused for every game, like Belichick and Brady do.

http://cf.chucklesnetwork.com/items/8/3/5/1/original/not-sure-if-im-going-to-barf-or-fart.jpg

86WARD
10-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Hell, I would take a high 3rd rounder for him at this point.

Anything after this week...lol.

ALLD
10-21-2015, 05:56 PM
If Jones does well enough he could command a 1st round pick as trade or lower plus some other player. The NFL is starved for good, consistent QBs and some team would give up a 1st to build their offense. Of course, most other teams do not have an AB, LB & MB on their team too.

tube517
10-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Rob Johnson (Bills)

86WARD
10-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Rob Johnson (Bills)

That's what I said too. Johnson is the first fraud out there.

slippy
10-21-2015, 08:56 PM
scott mitchell

StillCurtains
10-21-2015, 09:11 PM
You smoke too much dope. He had a good game that is all, he has never shown anything . And this past game we won, but it was not 300 yard 3tds, temper expectations

I'm with you on this. I was happy that Landry was able to make some plays to help give us the win, but it was simply that... some plays. He had 12 attempts and that's hardly a game full of action. Also, 88 of his yards were done by Bryant on a 5 yard pass.

Landry has my full support heading into Kansas City. My expectations are not very high being that this is his first start and is on the road. A full game of play is much different than making a couple plays in a little over a quarter. I hope he plays well enough to get us the win, but I'm not crowning him as Montana with just a little over a quarter of play.

I feel the fans should appreciate his contribution against Arizona and support him 100% vs Kansas City, but I feel that many are not putting things in its proper perspective and have their expectations set way too high.

By doing this, they will be unfairly bashing him if he doesn't play well.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 04:52 AM
It's funny how when Landry throws a pass to Bryant that goes for a long TD...it was only a 5 yard pass. When Ben throws the exact same play with similar results to AB, it's a Hall of Fame play...just sayin'

Count Steeler
10-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Rob Johnson (Bills)

Still can't believe they sat Doug Flutie and played Johnson in the playoffs.

steel striker
10-22-2015, 02:52 PM
It's way too soon to compare but, let's see what landry can do playing a full game. I know after some of his work in the pre season games in the past was a mix bag but, I think as long as he takes care of the ball Landry will be just fine.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 07:39 PM
This thread title...it just makes me laugh...

zulater
10-22-2015, 07:50 PM
I think, so far, everyone's actually misread the OP. He basically asked, "What would it take for you to think—even for a second—to entertain after the idea after the next game of keeping Landry on the field and Ben on the bench when Ben's healthy." It's not about expectations, or contracts, or anything else.

So, what would it take for me to allow that thought to dance through my head for just one instant? A five TD performance with a perfect QB rating and over 35 passes thrown, along with a half dozen avoided sacks Ben R. style. That'd get me to think, just for a moment, of letting Landry continue and benching Ben. Then, I'd laugh at myself and say, Nope! And expect Ben to start the following week.

I was thinking more along the lines of a full frontal lobotomy. :chuckle:

ETL
10-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Have any of you ever participated in a game day thread? If any play goes bad - Tomlin is an idiot and should be fired immediately.

Trust me - if Landry throws for 280 yards with 4 TDs and no INT and Ben returns the next week and goes 3 and out on his first two series - there will DEFINITELY be a chorus of fans asking for Landry Jones over Ben

i am not making a statement on Ben or Landry. They are who they are. I'm making a statement on the fickle game day Steeler fans.

86WARD
10-22-2015, 09:23 PM
I may sarcastically say put Jones in, but I wouldn't seriously mean it. There's nothing Jones could do to want me to put him in over Ben. If Jones threw for 500 yards 3 weeks in a row, I'd still want to go with Ben in the long run.

Bledsoe to Brady is nothing like Roethlisberger to Jones...the comparison to me is just flip flopped...

ETL
10-22-2015, 10:00 PM
Bledsoe to Brady is nothing like Roethlisberger to Jones...the comparison to me is just flip flopped...

You are looking at this with hindsight. Yes Brady is way bigger than Bledsoe now. But when the Pats continued to start Tom Brady over a healthy Bledsoe - it was a big deal. It actually took some balls on Belichick to do that. It was the easy thing to start the veteran Bledsoe because he was more established. He was a number 1 draft pick who had already led the Pats to a Super Bowl in the past. Remember this was before New England had won any Super Bowl so Bledsoe leading them to a SB was equivalent to winning two for a Steeler QB. Brady was a nobody. A slow 6th round draft pick who could not even start for his college team - and lost his job to a guy (Drew Henson) that went to play baseball.

Brady went on a incredible winning run when given the starting job that year but there were many wondering when he would crash back to earth as the nobody that he always was known to be.

Yes - the analogy is poor. Ben is playing way better than Bledsoe was that year and more established. But Brady and Jones were both nobodies - so I see a little similarity there. Brady went on a crazy winning streak to keep his job. That is why I asked what crazy thing must Landry do to even contemplate even a bit that he should remain the starter. That's all.

Count Steeler
10-23-2015, 05:22 PM
Maybe Bledsoe wouldn't cheat and Brady would and did.

ETL
10-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Maybe Bledsoe wouldn't cheat and Brady would and did.

Ha! Good response.

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:17 AM
I just don't think there is anything that Jones can do that would unseat Ben. Ben is just leaps and bounds better than Bledsoe, that for me, the analogy doesn't work even a little. That's just my opinion though.

The Bark
10-24-2015, 01:20 PM
My prediction, and I do hope I'm wrong, is that if Jones starts, he'll return to earth and we'll be faced with reality again - though I do expect him to do better than Vick (I mean, how could ANY QB not look better after that first half performance last week?).

I say this because I'm still not sure how much of last week's performance was Jones and how much was his receivers. I looked back at some of the throws last week and I think it's easy to say the 2nd TD was Bryant catching a 10-15 yard pass and the rest was him running 75-80 yards with perhaps a few blocks. His other TD catch, to Jones's credit, was thrown in the only place Bryant and Bryant only could have caught it - yet he had to jump and left himself exposed, got clocked and somehow managed to land in-bounds while maintaining control. Another pass to Brown on the sidelines could easily have been picked off had the defender looked to see where the ball was.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong if he starts and has himself another good game, but my gut tells me not to expect the same level of performance. We could just as easily be returning to this thread Sunday night and bitching about how he played like he did 85% of his pre-season snaps.

hawaiiansteeler
10-24-2015, 01:40 PM
My prediction, and I do hope I'm wrong, is that if Jones starts, he'll return to earth and we'll be faced with reality again

I hope I'm wrong also but I completely agree with you.

I just don't see Landry Jones playing well on the road in a hostile environment, if you will...