PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin: Steelers preparing Landry Jones to start at QB

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Tomlin: Steelers preparing Landry Jones to start at QB

By Dan Hanzus
Around the NFL Writer
Published: Oct. 20, 2015

Landry Jones got the job done on Sunday. It sounds like the Steelers will lean on him again in Week 7.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters on Tuesday that the team will "play it by ear" with injured quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger (knee) and Mike Vick (hamstring), but will focus on getting Landry ready for the team's upcoming matchup against the 1-5 Chiefs.

"It's safe to prepare as if Landry Jones is our quarterback this week," Tomlin said. "He's healthy."

Jones replaced Vick in the third quarter on Sunday and threw two touchdown passes in a 25-13 win over the Cardinals. Vick revealed on Monday that he has a "tiny tear" in his hamstring. Roethlisberger is probably at least one more week away from a return from a MCL sprain and bone bruise in his knee.

Roethlisberger provided an update on his health during a Tuesday radio spot on KDKA-FM. The quarterback assumes he will split first-team reps with Landry this week.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000561681/article/tomlin-steelers-preparing-landry-jones-to-start-at-qb

TeeTee
10-20-2015, 01:27 PM
If it's relatively known Ben won't play, to hell with him splitting reps in practice. Give Jones all the reps, screw messing around giving Ben some. More games.

polamalubeast
10-20-2015, 01:54 PM
I want Roethlisberger plays this week.

I do not want Ben be rusty for the game against the Bengals.

86WARD
10-20-2015, 06:46 PM
This will be a good,test to see what Jones is really made of.

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 08:20 PM
I want Roethlisberger plays this week.

I do not want Ben be rusty for the game against the Bengals.

:iagree:

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 12:39 AM
Steelers QB Jones likely to make first NFL start vs. Chiefs

By JOHN PERROTTO (Associated Press)

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/0nGX.chmhENlpEk9cndqGQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztmaT1maWxsO2g9MTMyMjtweW9mZj 0wO3E9NzU7dz05NjA-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201510181541564865570

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Landry Jones had his first regular-season NFL action last week.

Now, it looks as if he will make his first start this week.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that his team will prepare for Sunday's game against the Chiefs at Kansas City as if Jones will be the starting quarterback.

Starter Ben Roethlisberger has been out since spraining the medical collateral ligament in his left knee Sept. 27 in a win over the Rams at St. Louis.

Backup Mike Vick suffered a strained right hamstring in last Sunday's 25-13 victory over the Arizona Cardinals.

''I think it's prudent and appropriate right now to operate under the assumption that Landry is our quarterback this week,'' Tomlin said. ''He is the guy that's healthy.''

Jones had been the third-string quarterback since being drafted in the fourth round in 2013. He played well against the Cardinals, completing 8 of 12 passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns.

''We were not shocked by his performance, but we were pleased by it,'' Tomlin said.

The Steelers (4-2) have gone 2-1 without Roethlisberger. However, Vick has struggled, completing 40 of 66 passes for 371 yards with two touchdowns and one interception.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley called more low-risk plays for Vick, who signed as a free agent at the end of the preseason when backup quarterback Bruce Gradkowski was placed on injured reserve with a hand injury.

The Steelers, though, will likely open up the offense more if Jones starts. He had extensive action in the preseason as played five games rather than the normal four because of the Steelers appearance in the Hall of Fame game.

''He took advantage of those reps, like we all talked about during the course of the preseason, but regular season is different from the preseason,'' Tomlin said.

''It's not what you know, it's about what you're capable of executing. Knowledge as a third quarterback with a clipboard, or in a classroom setting is one thing, and playing in a hostile situation is another. I give him credit for rising up.''

While injuries have left Jones as the only healthy quarterback on the roster, Tomlin said the Steelers have not worked out any free agents. They could promote rookie wide receiver Tyler Murphy from the practice squad as he played quarterback at Boston College.

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown voiced his displeasure last week about not getting as many targets since Vick replaced Roethlisberger. Though Brown caught just three passes for 24 yards against the Cardinals, he was pleased with how Jones handled the offense.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-qb-jones-likely-first-nfl-start-vs-195605505--nfl.html

86WARD
10-21-2015, 01:26 AM
This will give us (and the team) a good idea of what Jones is really made of. He played well in his 12 attempts and relief of Vick last week. During the preseason he showed much improvement over time and over previous years...time to see what he is really made of. I'm actually looking forward to seeing all the cards put on the table with Jones.

ALLD
10-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Is he really good or did he just get lucky? We will know on Sunday.

I didn't see anything in the preseason that showed he deserved to be on the team, but maybe the unexpected play time allowed him to knock all the crap out of his head and exorcise his demons.