PDA

View Full Version : 'Next-man-up mentality' saves the day in Steelers' win against Cardinals

polamalubeast
10-19-2015, 07:36 AM
The previous time the Steelers did this kind of thing, they went to a Super Bowl. Instead of falling apart without their quarterback, they followed their 2010 script and galvanized behind others.

The Steelers continued to find a defense, they discovered they had a quarterback in the back of the line, they welcomed the return of their comet wide receiver, and a young kicker they plucked off the street two weeks ago has been, well, perfect.

It all played out at sunny-and-brisk Heinz Field Sunday as the Steelers beat the NFL’s previous highest-scoring team, the Arizona Cardinals, 25-13.

Landry Jones went from “wasted” draft pick to savior when he threw two touchdown passes in relief of injured and ineffective Mike Vick in the first real NFL game he has played in his three seasons. There was much more to it, but Jones is the man of the hour and if Ben Roethlisberger is not yet healthy enough to play, Jones should start this week at Kansas City.

“He looked good to me; he’s our quarterback now,” declared 37-year-old linebacker James Harrison, who had his team’s only sack and forced a fumble that led to a touchdown. “We’re going to be there, we’re going to support him, rally behind him. It’s the next-man-up mentality.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/10/19/On-the-Steelers-Next-man-up-mentality-saves-the-day-in-win-vs-Cardinals/stories/201510190066

86WARD
10-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Next man up? Feel like this could've been avoided had Tomlin had the brains to swap Vick out earlier in the game...

Steelman
10-19-2015, 08:12 AM
I don't think there is any locker room feuding (or at least I hope not) but the players basically forced Tomlin's hand in choosing Jones over Vick if that be the case.

Next man up my ass. The team had enough and wants the next man up to perform like somebody who knows what they're doing, not have to carry a quarterback who looks like he's never played football before. (Sidebar: Did Vick switch bodies with Jones, and did Jones switch bodies with Ben? That leaves Vick's body in a locker room closet somewhere. I bet James dumped it on Tomlin's desk after the game. :lol: )

86WARD
10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
If the next man should already be up, no need to wait for an injury...

BnG_Hevn
10-19-2015, 05:40 PM
If the next man should already be up, no need to wait for an injury...

Doesn't "next man up", by definition, mean that a player steps into the lineup due to injury to the starter?

86WARD
10-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Doesn't "next man up", by definition, mean that a player steps into the lineup due to injury to the starter?

I would think so. Tomlin on the other hand likes to use that as an excuse to get a guy into the line up that should've been in the line up months before...lol.

hawaiiansteeler
10-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Tomlin imagines there will be a combination of McLendon/Thomas/Walton if Tuitt can't go. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora