PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers are 5th in points allowed

polamalubeast
10-19-2015, 07:19 AM
The season is far from over, but nobody would have thought that after the pre-season!

This is certain that the Steelers are 23rd in yards allowed, but they give very few points (18 PPG) and that's what is important.

Keith Butler makes an incredible job right now since the defense is far from being one of the the most talented defense of the NFL.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 07:37 AM
I am pleasantly surprised at how well the defense is playing. I give a lot of credit to Butler for that. If this team had on good CB and a decent safety, they would be Tops in the league in defense. I can't wait until the dead weight is gone and there's talent in there. Bad thing will be that Harrison probably won't be around to see it...

Merchant
10-19-2015, 08:53 AM
Butler is doing an admirable job. As much as I love Lebeau, Tennessee seems to be struggling on D.

Looks like the transition was the right move.. so far.

Steelman
10-19-2015, 08:59 AM
I am pleasantly surprised at how well the defense is playing. I give a lot of credit to Butler for that. If this team had on good CB and a decent safety, they would be Tops in the league in defense. I can't wait until the dead weight is gone and there's talent in there. Bad thing will be that Harrison probably won't be around to see it...

Boy isn't that the truth! The fact that Butler's been able to do this with band-aids and clowns in the secondary speaks volumes.

I'm hoping that Senquez Golson can come in from a redshirt year and contribute as a 3rd corner and that we bring in a FA to man the outside corner. And for the love of God, move Blake back to special teams! As far as safety, maybe we get super lucky in the draft?

teegre
10-19-2015, 09:06 AM
If you're not first, you're last.

--Ricky Bobby

fansince'76
10-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Pretty impressive, considering what the defense looked like in preseason.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Pretty impressive, considering what the defense looked like in preseason.

I think the DBs try to go back to that every so often...

polamalubeast
10-19-2015, 11:31 AM
I am disappointed that Butler has very little credit by the media.

Craic
10-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I was noticing this stat last night. there's a few others that speak to the job Butler's doing as well. For instance, we've heard about how bad the rush defense is, but they are seventh against the run (yards per game) and tied for first in TDs allowed by rush per rush. They're 5th best in points allowed per game. Tied for sixth in sacks per game, tied for twelfth for INTs per game, and exactly average at 16th for forced fumbles per game.

On top of all that, Pittsburgh is tied for first overall in the give/take column

steelreserve
10-19-2015, 12:18 PM
I attribute a lot of this to the fact that the offense has rarely turned the ball over this season. No fumbles and just three interceptions, all on long bombs inside the opponent's 20 (including one on the last play of the half). We've given up a grand total of 3 points off turnovers. And although our special teams are never one to pass up an opportunity for a block in the back, they've done a good job at kick coverage and rarely allowed a big return.

In other words, we're putting the defense in a position to succeed by winning the field position game - dominating it most of the time, in fact. That's what allows them to give up 65 yards and only a field goal attempt. When the opponent is always starting at their own 10 or 20, you can fuck up a few times and odds are still in your favor of getting a stop. Set Tom Brady up at your own 30, and it's a different story.

It's a whole team effort if you ask me, although the defense does seem to have a knack for clamping down when things are desperate. Hopefully we can keep it up. But it's taken a lot of breaks going our way, so I wouldn't count on it. Fortunately, it looks like the offense is in position to take the pressure off in the next week or two. Whatever the reason, whether luck was involved or not, this little stretch of good play couldn't have come at a better time.

tube517
10-19-2015, 12:28 PM
That formation Butler is running is wild.. 2 down lineman and one or 2 LBs in the middle of the line. I rarely saw McClendon

teegre
10-19-2015, 02:24 PM
That formation Butler is running is wild.. 2 down lineman and one or 2 LBs in the middle of the line. I rarely saw McClendon

Yep... it's a 2-5.

It allows Heyward and/or Tuitt to jump over to the middle, and the LB loops behind to the end. It confuses the O-linemen, and gets Heyward the best match-up possible on any given play.

TeeTee
10-19-2015, 03:07 PM
I am disappointed that Butler has very little credit by the media.

Not only does he not get much credit, but worse yet, when they show/mention him, they STILL bring up how he is replacing a "legend" and spend time giving props to Dick instead of giving any love to Butler. That obviously won't last forever. By next season they will probably barely ever mention the "great DL." Dick's D is currently ranked 3rd in yards allowed, but avg. almost 26 points per game. That is bad.

Psycho Ward 86
10-19-2015, 03:56 PM

yup, we've had it before, but we never deployed it this often from what ive seen.

so much for the players and coaches saying the defense hasnt changed much. seems like it was just a cover up :lol: