PDA

View Full Version : Week 7: @Kansas City Chiefs (1-5)

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Hopefully we take care of business in an obvious trap game. That defense still has pro bowlers everywhere. Arrowhead Stadium is supposed to be one of the harder places to play. They almost beat the broncos.

Going to be interesting to see Alejandro Villanueva finally get playing time. Could help us make a better decision on letting Kelvin Beachum walk or stay since we have so many in line for big extensions (Bell, Decastro, AB). Also going to be interesting to see Marcus cease to become the blind side tackle, assuming Landry Jones gets his well earned start. Gilbert has been playing really well, good to see him earn that contract.

Great to have Martavis back. I cant foresee the chiefs being too successful in stopping all of these weapons if the cardinals couldnt.

No Jamaal Charles is HUGE. One of his back ups fumbled early on today.

Would be nice to get Shazier back finally, albeit Vince Williams had a beautiful pass deflection to get LT an interception today...

other thoughts?

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Hopefully we take care of business in an obvious trap game. That defense still has pro bowlers everywhere. Arrowhead Stadium is supposed to be one of the harder places to play. They almost beat the broncos.

The Broncos rightfully should be about 2-4 right now, and possibly 1-5. If there's been a team that crap-ass luck has smiled on so far this season, it's the Broncos.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 11:30 PM
The Broncos rightfully should be about 2-4 right now, and possibly 1-5. If there's been a team that crap-ass luck has smiled on so far this season, it's the Broncos.

almost losing to the ravens, vikings, raiders, and browns in the process. of course, that by default, makes this a dogfight for us :lol:

for further details, please see my forum signature

some how that broncos game doesnt look like one of many daunting games on the schedule

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 11:32 PM
As I said in another thread, playing crappy teams is a poor situation for us, bit playing a crappy team on the road following a big home win is a situation where the steelers usually struggle and come out flat.

Steelman
10-19-2015, 12:12 AM
I always likened Alex Smith to a poor man's Brady...which means he's going to dink and dunk all day long. Plus he has an athletic white tight end in Kelce so obviously you can pencil in at least 2 TD's for him.

They have some real edge players on defense which is going to be tough for Villa and Gilbert.

This is a winnable game which of course is always the problem.

I honestly don't know what to think of Landry's performance moving forward. Did we just witness some sort of mental state change? Or was it a little luck and Martavis Bryant? Part of me sees that 3rd down throw under pressure to Heath Miller, another part of me sees 8-12 passing, one being a ridiculous catch by Marty, another being a ridiculous YAC by Marty. Hard to say I guess. Props to Landry though for being prepared for the moment. That's more than Vick can say so far this season.

I'm inclined to let Ben sit another game. Ben has been locked in and involved in the team even with the injury, I personally don't believe he's rusty. The must-win is Cincinnati. If another week of rest can get him to 85 or 90% healthy, I'd do it.

Having Shazier back would be nice, but honestly the one that will hurt the most if he can't go is Tuitt. Gonna see a lot of Cam Thomas and LT Walton if that's the case.

Psycho Ward 86
10-19-2015, 12:32 AM
honestly, i dont care how Landry got his 2 TD's and 160 something yards. I just care that he put our receivers in a position to make plays which is way more than vick could ever say

polamalubeast
10-19-2015, 02:22 AM
The chiefs o-line is very bad and they have no running game without Charles.

Sometimes the steelers are unpredictable but it could be an easy win if Ben is back, even if he is a little rusty.

j-d-s
10-19-2015, 03:04 AM
Or those nasty KC front seven hit him all day and he gets re-injured...

Shoes
10-19-2015, 02:19 PM
Steelers better be careful on this game.

teegre
10-19-2015, 02:34 PM
This is the perfect game to play press coverage. Alex Smith will NOT throw it deep. Never. A few weeks ago, he had Jeremy Maclin open about 25 yards downfield... and Smith dumped it off.

Knife Davis can run with the best of them. But, he also fumbles routinely. Contain him... and the second guy there needs to go for the ball.

tube517
10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
This is the perfect game to play press coverage. Alex Smith will NOT throw it deep. Never. A few weeks ago, he had Jeremy Maclin open about 25 yards downfield... and Smith dumped it off.

Knife Davis can run with the best of them. But, he also fumbles routinely. Contain him... and the second guy there needs to go for the ball.

Ray Lewis' younger cousin???

teegre
10-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Ray Lewis' younger cousin???

:rofl2:

Wow... what a typo!!!

Rotorhead
10-19-2015, 05:00 PM
This is the offense our def can really play well against. Don't have to worry about Blake getting smoked deep (They just don't take those shots). They lost their top offensive weapon, so their running game will be suspect. Getting pressure on Smith should be more than easy with their OL issues. The only thing we really have to worry about is the pass rush from KC, but we can scheme that issue and it really opens up the dump off passes to Bell and Heath.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 07:00 PM
How many times did the Steelers sack Smith last season? 6 or 8? I'd look for similar this time around...and this time they don't have Charles. But then there's the possibility they let down and Knile Davis or Carchandrick West a household name...

Psycho Ward 86
10-19-2015, 07:44 PM
If Tuitt's knee sprain affects him (assuming he plays), i expect the chiefs to exploit him/go after Cam Thomas.

You guys remember how much he got picked on for the 1st half of the season last year? Knile Davis/West could end up having a good day just off of that. Davis is a guy with 100 yard games under his belt so that shouldnt be overlooked.

Does anybody have any information on why the Chief's defense is stinking it up so far? On paper, I'm pretty baffled to say the least.

Edman
10-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Tomlin's Achilles.

Road Game. Bad Team missing it's best player.

I think this is one game where the Steelers' D suspect tackling will come back to bite them. The Chiefs love dumping it off, and dinking and dunking. If the Steelers don't tackle, Knile Davis will have a field day. The Chiefs don't mind being patient. The Steelers NEED to tackle.

If Tuitt is hurt and Cam Thomas is starting, there goes the run defense.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 08:24 PM
Kinda agree. I have this game down as a loss because it's one the Steelers should win...

polamalubeast
10-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Each week this year, not many think the steelers will win, but the Steelers would be 5-1 with a good kicker .....

I have no doubt the steelers will win this game, unless Landry Jones is awful or that Ben is too rusty.This team seems very focused this year.

ETL
10-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Trap game. Steelers win 9-6.

Cue the doomsayers and "fire Tomlin" mouth-breathers

BigBen2004
10-19-2015, 11:18 PM
I get a different vibe from this team this year. Last year, we were 3-2 heading to Cleveland. It was a gimme game, right? The players just kinda thought they already had the W and ended up getting absolutely bent over, by a very inferior team.
I thought for sure that we would be riding the high from the last second win in SD, and come out flat. They did at first, but that is a direct result of Vick's inability to play quarterback in this league now. Landry freakin' Jones came in torched the Cards secondary. With these weapons, you only have to be semi-accurate, and they'll do the rest for the QB.
Anyway, I see a lot of focus with this team. They have this "us against the world" mentality. It's great. They're playing with fire and passion. Even after this win, they're hardly getting any recognition. At all. It's disgusting. This team just has that "it" factor. They truly are holding up Tomlin's standard. No matter what is thrown their way, they make the best out of it. They don't cry and complain.
I know that trap games are the Steelers' thing, but I don't believe they will allow that letdown to happen. It's time to REALLY see what this team is made of.

Once Ben comes back, watch out...

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2015, 12:27 AM
I get a different vibe from this team this year. Last year, we were 3-2 heading to Cleveland. It was a gimme game, right? The players just kinda thought they already had the W and ended up getting absolutely bent over, by a very inferior team.
I thought for sure that we would be riding the high from the last second win in SD, and come out flat. They did at first, but that is a direct result of Vick's inability to play quarterback in this league now. Landry freakin' Jones came in torched the Cards secondary. With these weapons, you only have to be semi-accurate, and they'll do the rest for the QB.
Anyway, I see a lot of focus with this team. They have this "us against the world" mentality. It's great. They're playing with fire and passion. Even after this win, they're hardly getting any recognition. At all. It's disgusting. This team just has that "it" factor. They truly are holding up Tomlin's standard. No matter what is thrown their way, they make the best out of it. They don't cry and complain.
I know that trap games are the Steelers' thing, but I don't believe they will allow that letdown to happen. It's time to REALLY see what this team is made of.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GL8QXYUKatA/T3ORe07boBI/AAAAAAAAA3g/WbX4xEzYmig/s320/the-rock-clapping.gif

86WARD
10-20-2015, 04:51 AM

Hope,you're,accurate!!

Rotorhead
10-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Funny, I just looked at the power rankings on BSPN and even though we just beat the crap out of the Cards, they raise up 2 spots to #4 (above the Bungles) and we drop one spot to #10 . . . no respect for this team. We are hopefully going to dominate once Ben returns. If we can get past this trap game against KC then beat the Bungles, what do you think will happen . . . drop to #15?

steel striker
10-20-2015, 02:30 PM
We have seen in previous years that games like this one coming the steelers have lost. I remember the last time we were playing at KC special teams TD that we gave up so, I hope that we play a good game this time around. Keep Landry health and upright and, hopefully he will make good decisions get the ball to our playmakers.

teegre
10-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Funny, I just looked at the power rankings on BSPN and even though we just beat the crap out of the Cards, they raise up 2 spots to #4 (above the Bungles) and we drop one spot to #10 . . . no respect for this team. We are hopefully going to dominate once Ben returns. If we can get past this trap game against KC then beat the Bungles, what do you think will happen . . . drop to #15?

My prediction:
The Steelers will be the first #32 ranked team to win the SuperBowl.

SteelMayhem72
10-20-2015, 03:27 PM
17-13 steelers, 1 td on offense, 1 td on defense, plus a 3 pointer

SteelMayhem72
10-20-2015, 03:28 PM
Well plus a fg, not a 3 pointer thats basketball...lol

tube517
10-21-2015, 03:18 PM

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ronjQxveygA&feature=youtu.be

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 03:47 PM

no Antwon Blake, huh?

does this mean there might be a Brandon Boykin sighting? :stirthepot:

tube517
10-21-2015, 03:52 PM
no Antwon Blake, huh?

does this mean there might be a Brandon Boykin sighting? :stirthepot:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/please-no-more.gif :lol:

fansince'76
10-21-2015, 04:16 PM
http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/itsatrap.jpg

:chuckle:

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Steelers-Chiefs Preview

By KEVIN MASSOTH (STATS Writer)
AP - Sports

A Pittsburgh passing offense that went from boom to bust may be back on track this weekend - and the Steelers may not even have their top quarterback on the field yet.

With Ben Roethlisberger still on the mend, the Steelers are preparing for Sunday's matchup against the Kansas City Chiefs with third-stringer Landry Jones under center.

Jones relieved injured backup Mike Vick last week and led the Steelers (4-2) to a 25-13 win over Arizona, igniting what had been a stagnant offense since Roethlisberger sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee Sept. 27.

Through the first two weeks, Pittsburgh ranked first in total yards per game (458.5), second in passing yards (349.5) and third in points (32.0). Since Week 3, however - when Vick stepped in for Roethlisberger - the Steelers rank toward the bottom of the NFL in total yards (295.3) and passing yards (164.0) and have averaged 20.3 points.

With Jones in as Vick nursed a strained right hamstring, and with the return of Martavis Bryant, the Steelers showed glimpses of where they started the season. Coach Mike Tomlin said his team will continue on that track against the Chiefs, who rank 22nd in the league with 372.8 total yards allowed per game.

"I think it's prudent and appropriate right now to operate under the assumption that Landry is our quarterback this week," Tomlin said. "He is the guy that's healthy."

Jones completed 8 of 12 passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns against the Cardinals, leading the Steelers back from a 10-6 hole in the third quarter. His favorite target was another player who hadn't taken a snap in Pittsburgh's first five games.

Bryant was suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy and also sat out a 24-20 victory over San Diego on Oct. 12 with a knee injury.

The second-year wideout started slow with Vick under center against Arizona but broke out with Jones. Bryant caught two passes for eight yards through seven series with Vick but caught four for 129 yards and two TDs through four with Jones. The big connection between the two was an 88-yard fourth-quarter touchdown that sealed the win.

Antonio Brown was second to only Atlanta's Julio Jones with 436 receiving yards through the season's first three weeks, but he has just 11 receptions for 111 yards without a touchdown in the last three.

Brown voiced his displeasure with his lack of targets since Roethlisberger's injury, dropping from 35 in the first three games to 23 since. A switch to Jones, though, could do him some good as the Steelers may move to a more downfield attack.

"It's not what you know, it's about what you're capable of executing," Tomlin said. "Knowledge as a third quarterback with a clipboard, or in a classroom setting is one thing, and playing in a hostile situation is another. I give him credit for rising up."

Going the other way are the Chiefs, who have dropped five straight after last week's 16-10 loss to Minnesota. It's the first time in 17 years an Andy Reid-coached team has started with one win through six games.

"Well, we're sitting here and we're 1-5. That's real. And we're not playing very well as a football team," Reid said. "As a coach, you're a problem solver, and I have to solve the problems and get that done quick here."

Injuries, though, are tough to fix. The Chiefs lost Pro Bowl running back Jamaal Charles for the season to a torn ACL during an 18-17 loss to Chicago on Oct. 11. They were held to season lows in rushing yards (57) and points against the Vikings.

Free agent prize Jeremy Maclin and defensive tackle Mike DeVito are working through the NFL's concussion protocol, but the Chiefs won't use a hampered roster as an out.

"This building all has that attitude that we're all accountable for this, that we've all had a hand in it," said quarterback Alex Smith, who heads the NFL's 19th-ranked passing offense at 240.0 yards per game. "But collectively, that's how we're all going to get out of it."

Three of Kansas City's losses have come by seven points or less and another by 10.

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-chiefs-preview-211906370--nfl.html

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 08:56 PM
Trap game. Steelers win 9-6.

is it possible for this to be a trap game when our franchise QB is out and our third string QB is starting instead? .

teegre
10-21-2015, 09:31 PM
is it possible for this to be a trap game when our franchise QB is out and our fourth string QB is starting instead? .

Exactly.

Slight correction, though.

hawaiiansteeler
10-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Exactly.

Slight correction, though.

you're right, forgot all about Gradkowski...

Rotorhead
10-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Yeah it is funny I read all over we are on our backup QB . . . nope, we are on our 4th QB. The bobble headed media cant seem to grasp that.

st33lersguy
10-22-2015, 02:25 PM
This is what I predict is roughly going to happen. The Chiefs jump out to a 17-0 lead at the end of the 1st quarter including a TD set up from a short field after a turnover. They Chiefs will hold a 27-6 lead heading into the 4th quarter before the Steelers score 2 garbage time TDs and lose 27-20. The Steelers will outgain the Chiefs by over 150 yards but commit at least 4 turnovers and have 3 drives in the redzone that lead to no points. I hate to sound pessimistic but this seems like a game where the Steelers will put out a lethargic effort

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Looking very unlikely Tuitt will be able to go Sunday. Missed practice again today. Young guys need reps for Tomlin to play them. #Steelers

As Tomlin indicated, expect a rotation between Thomas/Walton/McLendon.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Rotorhead
10-22-2015, 04:48 PM
That sucks, is the big guy back yet? If big mac can play the nose then using Mclendon in place of tuitt would be fine with me . . . although for some reason cam thomas is favored by the coaching staff. I look for KC to run right over Cam every time he is in the came.

teegre
10-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Alex Kozora ‏@Alex_Kozora

Looking very unlikely Tuitt will be able to go Sunday. Missed practice again today. Young guys need reps for Tomlin to play them. #Steelers

As Tomlin indicated, expect a rotation between Thomas/Walton/McLendon.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Ugh.

Come on, Walton... time for a breakout.

hawaiiansteeler
10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Ugh.

Come on, Walton... time for a breakout.

just don't say that to Cam Thomas...:nono:

teegre
10-22-2015, 10:43 PM

:wtf:

:yuck:

:chuckle:

:rofl2:

Psycho Ward 86
10-23-2015, 10:33 AM

:lol:

tube517
10-24-2015, 02:35 PM

86WARD
10-24-2015, 06:57 PM
At what stage does Landry throw a backwards pass to Murphy who attempts to throw to Bryant?

BigBen2004
10-24-2015, 09:43 PM
The nerves are settling in. I really want Landry to do well, but I just keep having preseason nightmares. Man, we need this win for conference record AND the division race. Let's get it done ya hipster lumberjack!

SteelerFanInStl
10-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Cowher just picked the Chiefs.

hawaiiansteeler
10-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Cowher just picked the Chiefs.

smart pick, Landry Jones starting his first pro game ever in a hostile environment...