PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on win against Arizona

ETL
10-18-2015, 10:15 PM
1. Landry Jones surprised everyone including me. He was accurate and his timing was good. He also had some zip on the ball. I wonder if playing with 3rd stringers during preseason games brought down his play. It was obvious that Todd Haley could open the playbook with Jones instead of Vick. And 3 years of studying the same offense was evident in Jones.

2. Bell did not do well in third down and short runs. This was when Vick was still playing QB and everyone knew it was a run. In those cases Bell needs to hit the line hard and try to push it even if the blocking is not there. Instead he seemed to get the Mendenhall disease of dancing around. I know he was praised for his patience this week but with a speedy defense like Arizona - Bell has to hit the line hard. Hopefully he learns from this. He is a dynamic back and I like his running style but he needs to know that being "patient" with a good defense may not be a good mix.

3. Martavis Bryant out ran Patrick Peterson on that 88 yard TD. This guy is fast. If the Buffalo Bills offered a straight up trade: Sammy Watkins for Martavis Bryant would you do the trade? I think the Steelers got the better receiver from Clemson and we didn't have to give up other draft picks to get him.

4. Villanueva seems to have played well when called upon. I wish him well. As the announcer said - playing football and pushing some people around is a cake- walk (mentally) compared to what he experienced in Afganistan.

5. I thought Cockrell dislocated his left arm on that INT. He later played again so I guess he is fine for now. Golden has played well filling in for Allen. I think Cortez Allen may have been active today but didn't see him in the field at all. Mitchell made a nice play today. He was in position to cath the ball and he held onto the ball after the contact.

6. Boswell - where were u when we needed you 3 games ago? He has a strong leg and he seems accurate. He looks like he's 10 years old and needs to eat some steaks. I hope he doesn't get injured

7. If Antonio Brown get no catches but keeps on drawing double teams and allows others to get open and get the TDs - he is still the most valuable receiver on the team.

fansince'76
10-18-2015, 10:20 PM
DA STEALERS CHEETID! (http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/ed-hochuli-227279.html#post3235737) :jerkit:

Refs definitely sucked this game and did change the flow and gave the Steelers an unfair advantage. I agree with those who say we should have won anyway but if the game was called correctly the Cards would have won IMO. Floyd would have had what, 2 more TD's?

Yeah, never mind Harrison getting MUGGED REPEATEDLY without a flag. :coffee:

st33lersguy
10-18-2015, 10:50 PM
The Steelers defense has been playing well. Yes, they are giving up a lot of yardage, but not a lot of points. They are also making more plays and forcing more turnovers. As for Jones, he stepped up big time and delivered when it mattered. He had 2 TDs today in less than a half of action, I never thought he would get 2 TDs in his entire career. As for the Cardinals, they really blew it. They should have taken a sizable lead into halftime which how much they outgained the Steelers, but they let them hang around and Pittsburgh took over.

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Fun fact, Deandre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins have both said during their time in Clemson that Martavis has the tools to become better than them.

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 11:01 PM
4. Villanueva seems to have played well when called upon. I wish him well. As the announcer said - playing football and pushing some people around is a cake- walk (mentally) compared to what he experienced in Afganistan.

he'll face a tough match-up next week against Tamba Hali...

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 11:04 PM
he'll face a tough match-up next week against Tamba Hali...

Or Justin Houston.

"Oh hey there Alejandro, here's your first start against the guy who almost broke the sack record last season" :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
10-18-2015, 11:09 PM
Or Justin Houston.

"Oh hey there Alejandro, here's your first start against the guy who almost broke the sack record last season" :lol:

Justin Houston plays on the left and will face Marcus Gilbert, but there's nothing to prevent the Chiefs from flip-flopping their OLBs...

Psycho Ward 86
10-18-2015, 11:28 PM
Justin Houston plays on the left and will face Marcus Gilbert, but there's nothing to prevent the Chiefs from flip-flopping their OLBs...

if they stay on their respective sides, id prefer that. Gilbert has been arguably our best O-lineman this year. Cant believe id ever come to say that

TD's & Beer
10-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Landry is a God!

who knew?

my fantasy team has suffered long enough, come back Ben - time to strap it up and play

GBMelBlount
10-19-2015, 04:11 AM
7. If Antonio Brown get no catches but keeps on drawing double teams and allows others to get open and get the TDs - he is still the most valuable receiver on the team.

If Bryant's play continues defenses have to account for him like Brown.

This is what completely opened up our offense last year.

zulater
10-19-2015, 05:46 AM
Quote from Mike Tomlin. Vick wasn't coming out unless he got injured. To which I can only say thank God he did. I'm sorry but Tomlin is an idiot on this! :doh: If he couldn't see Vick was handcuffing this offense then he just doesn't get it. We can only hope that he doesn't go back to Vick next week against the Chiefs. :pray:

Butch
10-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Quote from Mike Tomlin. Vick wasn't coming out unless he got injured. To which I can only say thank God he did. I'm sorry but Tomlin is an idiot on this! :doh: If he couldn't see Vick was handcuffing this offense then he just doesn't get it. We can only hope that he doesn't go back to Vick next week against the Chiefs. :pray:

I honestly couldn't blame him. When I saw that Landry was coming in I knew we were going to lose the game and I am sure I am not alone in that respect. As bad as Vick was I did not want to see Jones, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Now if Mike decides to play Vick next week and refuses to put Jones in that is another thing. I also do not understand why they are not letting Boykins play???

86WARD
10-19-2015, 06:32 AM
When Jones came in the game, I actually felt relief...I didn't automatically think they would lose. If Vick sees the field in any sort of situation other than Jones being injured, Tomlin could be screwed.

I also actually thought that Jones could throw a slant pass to Brown or Bryant...seeing that he was able to do it in the preseason. Remember, a lot of shit was thrown at Jones during the preseason, but there were a lot of receivers out there that weren't helping him...

lipps83
10-19-2015, 06:51 AM
When Jones came in I knew the Steelers had a chance to win. If Martavis Bryant was standing right in front of Vick, Vick couldn't hand the ball to him.

Jones I knew could make at least half of the throws needed. Vick struggles to make one.

Steelers need to sign Bryant to a lifetime contract, don't let this kid get away. I haven't seen someone dominate like he has since Randy Moss. I think this kid can also avoid the off-field distractions. He made a mistake and I think he was sincere when he said he is cleaning up the distractions.

Lifetime contract, do it.

zulater
10-19-2015, 07:04 AM
Costly. That's another thought. Damn these injuries. I knowBeachum hasn't played as well this year as last, but still to lose your left tackle after having already lost your All Pro center is pretty devastating. Plus who knows the status of Tuitt? That kid has really been great this year.We can't afford t lose him. If so does the call go out to Keisel?

It's just so frustrating because if this team ever gets close to healthy they can be as good as anyone in the league.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 07:41 AM
It's just so frustrating because if this team ever gets close to healthy they can be as good as anyone in the league.

Without the injuries and suspensions, this team is tops in the league with the way they're playing. Look at the weeks with Vick...they survived that mess...not a lot of teams would...

Steelman
10-19-2015, 08:29 AM
When Jones came in the game, I actually felt relief...I didn't automatically think they would lose. If Vick sees the field in any sort of situation other than Jones being injured, Tomlin could be screwed.

I also actually thought that Jones could throw a slant pass to Brown or Bryant...seeing that he was able to do it in the preseason. Remember, a lot of shit was thrown at Jones during the preseason, but there were a lot of receivers out there that weren't helping him...

This is exactly what I was saying during the game as well. I figured Landry would throw a couple picks but if he could get a few slants out to Marty and AB I thought it would open up Bell. Color me shocked when he threw that bullet to Marty in the endzone. Soon as he did that I told my brother we're gonna win this game. His throw on 3rd down to Heath later was his best out of the bunch. I saw people saying that Marty did all the work, but Vick couldn't even complete a simple slant route the entire game. On that long TD I would have been completely happy with just the first down which it appears that Landry threw a decent pass beyond the sticks. Marty just took over from there.

Speaking of...where's that Cards fan now? Marty weak-armed Mathieu to the ground and literally out-ran Patrick Peterson for about 40-50 yards. :lol:

dislocatedday
10-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Steelers need to sign Bryant to a lifetime contract, don't let this kid get away. I haven't seen someone dominate like he has since Randy Moss. I think this kid can also avoid the off-field distractions. He made a mistake and I think he was sincere when he said he is cleaning up the distractions.

Lifetime contract, do it.

I've made the same comparison of Martavis to Randy Moss before to some friends of mine. Most of them laughed at my comparison, but the way Martavis moves and gets into his top gear really does remind me of Moss.

However, he is not eligible to sign an extension until after the 2016 season, and I am not so sure the Steelers should be quick to throw a mega deal his way. He is one failed drug test away from being suspended 10 games. At the very least, if he does sign an extension then it will have to include provisions to account for his drug test liability.

I also think the Steelers will have to make some tough choices over the next 3 years regarding who on the team gets long term big $$$ deals on the offensive side of the ball. The team is going to have AB, Bell, and Martavis all coming up for new contracts in the next couple years. I think Bell is the no-brainer for an extension. I would also expect DeCastro to be the other O-lineman who gets a mega deal. He signed the 5th year tender I believe, but in all likelihood the team does a long term deal next offseason like they did for Cameron Heyward this past offseason. I think Beachum is the odd man out even though I would like for him to stay with the team.

I suppose the team could also back-load deals for some of these guys so the bigger money kicks in after Ben retires. The team will most likely not have a QB right after Ben who commands over $20M per season, so that should leave significant money available for other positions and players.

tube517
10-19-2015, 09:16 AM
His throw on 3rd down to Heath later was his best out of the bunch.

That was under pressure from the Cardinals D. I thought at that point that we were going to be ok for that game.

cold-hard-steel
10-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Guess carrying that ole clip board around for better than 3 years and all the meetings really was a good move for the Steelers now that you observe it in hind-sight .I have to say though i love that "corn farmer" looking shirt he wore in the post game interview.All he needed was a lunch pail there beside him .Good job by everyone in that game.

86WARD
10-19-2015, 10:06 AM
The roster spot has still been wasted overall though. He could've been signed a few weeks ago...lol.

Rotorhead
10-19-2015, 10:23 AM
It is real simple, Landry can complete the timing route passes, Vick can not. I honestly think they started using Vick better, roll outs to give him the opportunity to run the ball, which he did effectively. However I expected him to be able to complete more passes on the roll outs, which was not the case. The short timing routes are what is needed to open up the running lanes. If Ben is not back next week (I think he will be) Landry will give us the best opportunity to win, AB and MB will both get the ball which will open up the running lanes more. This was a big victory, while I didnt think we would win, and the win wasn't needed to make the playoffs, it was needed to keep pace with Cincy for the AFCN title. Two weeks from now will be a big game. I am hoping Ben will be back next week, not so much to get the W, but to shake off the rust for the Cincy game.

vasteeler
10-19-2015, 06:53 PM
if they stay on their respective sides, id prefer that. Gilbert has been arguably our best O-lineman this year. Cant believe id ever come to say that

dude! i love reading your posts but due to your avatar i am going to have to put you on ignore. i have a kid who likes to look at this site with me

zulater
10-19-2015, 06:58 PM
dude! i love reading your posts but due to your avatar i am going to have to put you on ignore. i have a kid who likes to look at this site with me

That may be a first for this site. :lol:

tube517
10-19-2015, 09:11 PM

You don't need to put people on "ignore" for avatars or pics. There are settings that can "block" avatars, signatures and images.

ETL
10-19-2015, 11:13 PM
My avatar is fully clothed. Like all women - the most attractive feature is her big ... smile!

Psycho Ward 86
10-20-2015, 12:16 AM
My avatar is fully clothed. Like all women - the most attractive feature is her big ... smile!

:lol:

well i obliged with a new avatar so if anyone could tell vasteeler its safe for the kids again that would be great!

zulater
10-20-2015, 02:26 AM
:lol:

well i obliged with a new avatar so if anyone could tell vasteeler its safe for the kids again that would be great!

Done. And I like the new avater. :thumbsup:

tube517
10-20-2015, 08:38 AM

In the settings you can block out avatars, pictures, and signatures. Good for work. In your avatar, it requires "double" protection. :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
10-20-2015, 08:57 AM

They so quickly allowed Jones to make throws they weren't letting Vick even attempt. The offense was night and day in comparison once Jones came into the game. If they were so willing to give Jones the chance with certain plays calls coming into the middle of a game I do not understand why they wouldn't have given him a weeks preparation and tried to start him with the same mind set of opening the playbook up for him.

Maybe they just said lets see what happens what do we have to lose because we are on our 3rd QB but Jones threw a crossing route to the middle of the field on like his second play from scrimmage.

Texasteel
10-20-2015, 09:09 AM

Sorry bud, I never noticed her smile till you mentioned it.

Rotorhead
10-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Dam, i loved that avatar, her . . . um . . . smile was mesmerizing

zulater
10-20-2015, 11:39 AM
They so quickly allowed Jones to make throws they weren't letting Vick even attempt. The offense was night and day in comparison once Jones came into the game. If they were so willing to give Jones the chance with certain plays calls coming into the middle of a game I do not understand why they wouldn't have given him a weeks preparation and tried to start him with the same mind set of opening the playbook up for him.a

Maybe they just said lets see what happens what do we have to lose because we are on our 3rd QB but Jones threw a crossing route to the middle of the field on like his second play from scrimmage.

You ever consider maybe they were letting Vick attempt those passes but he just didn't see when he had an open receiver? According to LeVeon, Landry checked off the call from the sidelines several times. Vick never changed a play. Defense showing 8 in the box, if the call was a run between the tackles that's where the play was going. Vick doesn't have the mental capacity to run our offense. He hamstrung the entire unit with his inability to exploit what the defense was giving him. The Ravens might be the worst defensive secondary in the league. He passed for only 118 yards against them. He played like shit for 3 1/2 quarters against the Chargers. In 12 quarters of play Vick's was acceptable for less than 2 quarters. It's just not fair to the rest of the team.

The time for excuses is over. Vick cannot qb this team successfully. Two fluke drives doesn't dispel that notion. Landry Jones may prove to be a fraud. But I still take my chances with him over Vick.

Steelman
10-20-2015, 01:50 PM
You ever consider maybe they were letting Vick attempt those passes but he just didn't see when he had an open receiver? According to LeVeon, Landry checked off the call from the sidelines several times. Vick never changed a play. Defense showing 8 in the box, if the call was a run between the tackles that's where the play was going. Vick doesn't have the mental capacity to run our offense. He hamstrung the entire unit with his inability to exploit what the defense was giving him. The Ravens might be the worst defensive secondary in the league. He passed for only 118 yards against them. He played like shit for 3 1/2 quarters against the Chargers. In 12 quarters of play Vick's was acceptable for less than 2 quarters. It's just not fair to the rest of the team.

The time for excuses is over. Vick cannot qb this team successfully. Two fluke drives doesn't dispel that notion. Landry Jones may prove to be a fraud. But I still take my chances with him over Vick.

I've been mulling this over since Sunday: What in the world got into Landry Jones? There was absolutely no precedent for a performance like that from him. Sure, people were saying he improved in the preseason, but that's like saying you installed new sparkplugs in your Pinto.

My working theory is that seeing a veteran quarterback (quarterback being used loosely here) absolutely suck somehow instilled life into Landry that he too could at least be better than Vick right now. I'm still in shock that Landry Jones came into an actual NFL football game and directed the offense to 5 straight scores, including a couple of clutch throws on 3rd down, made adjustments at the line and even called an audible. I mean, WTF. How is that even possible? Does he have that Tebow-gene where he's total garbage in practice and then pulls wins out of his ass in real games? I know we're moving on to the Chiefs, where Landry may actually start and maybe will epically fail, but even if does I will never forget his game against the Cards. Truly one of the greatest sports anomalies I've ever witnessed.

86WARD
10-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Actually there was. I said it during the preseason, Jones wasn't terrible. He was much improved over what he was in the past and he would've been better had he had help from his receiving corps. Those receivers were dropping balls left and right. Balls that Landry put right on their hands more than just on an occasion. Granted he only threw 12 passes and I'm not going to give a "final grade" on just that, but take those 12 passes and combine that with his preseason improvement minus the "help" the receivers didn't offer and the guy has been pretty "solid."

Nadroj 20
10-20-2015, 07:57 PM

I thought about that yes.

Jones just had the guts to make changes and those throws then. Which is awesome for a guy to come in and do.

ETL
10-20-2015, 09:49 PM
Sorry bud, I never noticed her smile till you mentioned it.

Ha!!

Actually I was being serious. If she had a plain face with no emotion - it just doesn't have the same effect. The smile really helps

ETL
10-20-2015, 09:58 PM
I thought about that yes.

Jones just had the guts to make changes and those throws then. Which is awesome for a guy to come in and do.

I think Jones played with nothing to lose and he didn't. Vick was so bad and Jones was so bad in preseason that there was no pressure on him to perform. He was playing with house money and he came out confident. Our kicker is playing the same way.

Now the KC game is different. They both have high expectations on them and will have a whole lot more pressure. Tomlin knows this and he is trying to not be too high on Jones. His news conference was very vanilla in praising Jones and it was completely done on purpose. Jones needs to feel that the expectations are still low. If anything, Tomlin want Jones to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove us wrong than play with a horrible fear that he is a one hit wonder. I agree with Tomlin on this.

86WARD
10-21-2015, 01:14 AM
I think Jones played with nothing to lose and he didn't. Vick was so bad and Jones was so bad in preseason that there was no pressure on him to perform. He was playing with house money and he came out confident. Our kicker is playing the same way.

Now the KC game is different. They both have high expectations on them and will have a whole lot more pressure. Tomlin knows this and he is trying to not be too high on Jones. His news conference was very vanilla in praising Jones and it was completely done on purpose. Jones needs to feel that the expectations are still low. If anything, Tomlin want Jones to play with a chip on his shoulder to prove us wrong than play with a horrible fear that he is a one hit wonder. I agree with Tomlin on this.

That's the thing though...Jones wasn't that terrible in preseason. He made better choices, take out the HOF game and he threw for 4 TDs to 1 INT with a rag tag bunch of wideouts. The games where he played more and more, his QB rating went up...